67% [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 27

AuthorMessage
aiMiXue
Cool User
Cool User

PostSubject: "Jinxed" Situation   Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:15 pm

Quote :
I am Day Leclaire, the author of Jinxed. I found the following conversation on your website indicating that Jinxed is in "typesetting":

http://smscans.fanbb.net/t128-jinxed-by-day-leclaire?highlight=Day+Leclaire

PLEASE do not pirate my book, whether the Manga version or the original. The little bit of money I make off the sales from this book are how I put a roof over my family's head, put food on our table, and care for my son. I will actively pursue all legal means to protect the copyright of my work. I strongly urge you NOT to post anything that violates that copyright.

Best, Day Leclaire

Sender e-mail address: Day@DayLeclaire.com
Well, I guess in order to respect this author, we'd have to cancel releasing Jinxed.
What arguments do you have?
Back to top Go down
rubenz
Not So New
Not So New

PostSubject: Re: "Jinxed" Situation   Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:23 pm

Well it is kinda hard to believe that the PM is really from her but the email address is valid though. And I guess we have no choice but to give up her works ( and I am still thinking her statement is kinda overboard). But may I ask about other HQ? Will you still release it in the future? (The one is not written by Day Leclaire?).

Thank you~
Back to top Go down
http://goukanatokoro.wordpress.com/
Nathye

PostSubject: Re: "Jinxed" Situation   Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:47 pm

I was so looking forward to this manga Sad And now I am kind of sad since the one who started the conversation on the forum was me Embarassed I am sorry pale But it's not like I can buy HQ comics in my country... at least I have never found them here albino I can just buy the books and not all of them 'cause some don't have it here ^^' I am sorry again
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Jinxed" Situation   Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:28 am

I have to say that mostly I read harlequin book only because I have read the manga before and find it good. It's not true that you won't want to read the original just because you already know the manga! there are a lot of authors I only came to know thanks to the releases by sm.

now I would really like to know what will happen with other harlequin projects. will you give up on them????? Shocked
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: "Jinxed" Situation   Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:39 am

Frankly, if this is really from her, I've lost a bit of respect for her. I understand the copyright stuff and all that, but...

Firstly, I've never even heard of her before this. I only knew about her because of the manga.

Secondly, it has been licensed in my country, but it has looong since been out of print. I tried to find it, but I couldn't find it anywhere. Even if I bought a used version, the royalties that she would have got from it have already been got.

Quote :
The little bit of money I make off the sales from this book are how I put a roof over my family's head, put food on our table, and care for my son.
Thirdly, she is an award-winning author with more than 50 titles available. It's pretty hard to believe that you're only relying on royalties from a book that's 22 years old to survive when you can neither purchase the written book or the manga form.

Not So New
Not So New

PostSubject: Re: "Jinxed" Situation   Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:53 am

aerysa wrote:
Frankly, if this is really from her, I've lost a bit of respect for her. I understand the copyright stuff and all that, but...

Firstly, I've never even heard of her before this. I only knew about her because of the manga.

Secondly, it has been licensed in my country, but it has looong since been out of print. I tried to find it, but I couldn't find it anywhere. Even if I bought a used version, the royalties that she would have got from it have already been got.

Quote :
The little bit of money I make off the sales from this book are how I put a roof over my family's head, put food on our table, and care for my son.
Thirdly, she is an award-winning author with more than 50 titles available. It's pretty hard to believe that you're only relying on royalties from a book that's 22 years old to survive when you can neither purchase the written book or the manga form.

I have some of her books (the hard copy one), but I think I'll stop buying her books for now. Sorry but I kinda lost a bit of respect for her too (if the email is indeed from her).

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jinxed Situation   Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:28 pm

rubenz wrote:
Well it is kinda hard to believe that the PM is really from her but the email address is valid though. And I guess we have no choice but to give up her works ( and I am still thinking her statement is kinda overboard). But may I ask about other HQ? Will you still release it in the future? (The one is not written by Day Leclaire?).

Thank you~

You're right, I checked here website and it is listed under her contact info. I would agree with you about giving up her works then. I don't think she should have reacted the way she did instead she could have politely said it. Or she could have worked with the sms staff to resolve the problem simple as that, right?
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: "Jinxed" Situation   Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:57 pm

rubenz wrote:
Sorry but I kinda lost a bit of respect for her too (if the email is indeed from her).
mar27 wrote:
I don't think she should have reacted the way she did instead she could have politely said it. Or she could have worked with the sms staff to resolve the problem simple as that, right?
I know right? That's my biggest peeve about it. She could have just said, "I don't like it that you're taking my work and using it this way. Please stop." or something similar. Instead, she threatens them with legal action... Like whoa... Snarky!

And I mean, maybe most of us are in North America (I'm assuming), but a lot of our members are in different countries where these aren't even available... Like nice, alienate potential fans... That just seems totally smart to me... *end sarcasm* =__=;;

PostSubject: Re: "Jinxed" Situation   Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:18 pm

Well I am not from US and I have never seen HQ comics here... so it's impossible for me to buy hem, unless it's by the internet... But since I don't buy books throw the Internet there's no way to have them...
Back to top Go down
aiMiXue
Cool User
Cool User

PostSubject: Re: "Jinxed" Situation   Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:21 pm

I hope the author reads what you've all written.

I hope we'll still be able to scanlate harlequin of course, just as long as we stay away from ones already published in English.

(The Sunday releases are actually purchased.)

Cool User

PostSubject: Re: "Jinxed" Situation   Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:31 am

I think the author has the right to claim the books and tell the staff to stop but i kind of think that it's for her disadvantage...I mean there are some people who have lost their respects and how should I and other people who are not american know something about her and other harlequin works if they're not published in their country?
Some people buy might start buying her books after reading the translated mangas over the internet or so....
I have NEVER heard of harlequin before I found SM and I don't think I would have start reading any books if I haven't read the mangas first. I think there are lots of people who are like me...
But I do have to admit that reading her message made me feel bad >_<

I hope you won't stop scanlating other HQ and I respect you for respecting the author's wish....
Back to top Go down
rubenz
Not So New
Not So New

PostSubject: Re: "Jinxed" Situation   Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:18 am

scanny wrote:
I think the author has the right to claim the books and tell the staff to stop but i kind of think that it's for her disadvantage...I mean there are some people who have lost their respects and how should I and other people who are not american know something about her and other harlequin works if they're not published in their country?
Some people buy might start buying her books after reading the translated mangas over the internet or so....
I have NEVER heard of harlequin before I found SM and I don't think I would have start reading any books if I haven't read the mangas first. I think there are lots of people who are like me...
But I do have to admit that reading her message made me feel bad >_<

I hope you won't stop scanlating other HQ and I respect you for respecting the author's wish....
Yeah she has a right to claim the book and I respect SMS's decision to stop the project, maybe we better stop distribute the HQ mangas that are already in English, I think it is safer Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Jinxed" Situation   Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:51 pm

Lame.

This made me feel a little better though:
Article about Harlequin Ginger Blossom
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: "Jinxed" Situation   Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:07 pm

rubenz wrote:
Yeah she has a right to claim the book and I respect SMS's decision to stop the project, maybe we better stop distribute the HQ mangas that are already in English, I think it is safer Smile
Yeah true. Personally I never questioned her right, but it's how she delivered her message that irks me.
Maybe that's what they should do since there didn't seem to be any problems with the rest of them. It's not really hard to be that careful since only a handful of them are licensed in English. And the list from Suzuru's link is pretty much it.

PostSubject: Re: "Jinxed" Situation   Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:22 pm

I cant say i can believe it but i respect the decision taken by SMS as we cant take wrath of anyone by cutting down their income..
Back to top Go down
Nathye

PostSubject: Re: "Jinxed" Situation   Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:44 pm

Suzuru wrote:
This made me feel a little better though:
Article about Harlequin Ginger Blossom

yes nice article ^^
Back to top Go down
paikea
Cool User
Cool User

PostSubject: Re: "Jinxed" Situation   Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:50 am

I think the reason I'm most skeptical is that this was done by pm. It's easy to find someone's e-mail address and add it to a message. If I were the author and I wanted to make a statement, I'd send a message to the e-mail. If I send a pm, it makes me look like I'm here reading other author's works.
The message makes it seem that she lives on one HQ written years ago and the graphic novel that has poor reviews Suspect . And if that were true and it was such a dire situation as portrayed, she wouldn't be able to pursue any legal action to be honest.

While I don't think much of this threat, I'd do the same and pull this title.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Jinxed" Situation   

Back to top Go down

"Jinxed" Situation
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1