Not So New

PostSubject: General HQ thread   Mon May 07, 2012 8:19 am

INTRODUCTION--May 6, 2012
Dear Members,

Spoiler:

READ READ READ READ READ!!
Seriously, READ IT. Especially 1,5, and 6

RULES OF DISCUSSION
These rules were put together by the current members of the discussion at that time: aerysa, Nathye, silvery, and blesses (me).
Last Edited:9th of June,2012
Spoiler:

MINI STATUS UPDATES:

OCTOBER 13, 2012
Hi guys,
I haven't been very available for discussion and it seems like no one else is too....I don't know where this is going but I'll be checking in every so often to see if people want to keep discussion. Maybe it's because summer is over so everyone's just going about their busy lives. I know I am but I'll still keep checking in.

Best,
Blesses

CURRENT SUGGESTED HQ DISCUSSION
Italian Playboy's Secret Son/Ososugita Saikai
START DATE: 17th of September, 2012 at 12:00AM/00:00 UTC+00:00
END: 30th of September 2012 at 11:59PM/23:59 UTC+00:00
SCANLATOR: SHOJO MANHWA SCANS
FORUM LINK: http://smscans.fanbb.net/t54-italian-playboy-s-secret-son

NEW RELEASE DISCUSSION
The Desert Lord's Baby
START DATE: 24th of September, 2012
END: 30th of September 2012 at 11:59PM UTC+00:00

Last edited by blesses on Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:13 pm; edited 87 times in total
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Tue May 08, 2012 3:13 pm

Yeah! I liked this one too!!
It happens in general because they have to pick and choose scenes to portray and usually the HQ mangas are only one volume. That's why personally, I tend to like the 2-volume stories better because you get a clearer understanding of the full story.
I think the plot was really good too where it focused equally on both characters. Some of the stories are so one-sided that the ending of them getting together is so out of left-field. Like the release previous - Pilgrim's Castle. I didn't like that one.
Part of it is probably the original storyline, but it's just weird to me. Falling in love with someone who barely interacts with you. *shrugs* It's a pretty cliche plot device.

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Tue May 08, 2012 3:31 pm

I know what you both mean. There's just something about this work that makes me feel that the mangaka managed to convey the gist of the story into art without compromising the story. like aerysa said, most often the story is cut short or modified so that they can fit it into one or two books but i think they managed to pick all the right bits Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Nathye

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Tue May 08, 2012 10:24 pm

yup I agree but I also think that in order to make a 1 volume (oneshot) the do cut a lot from the original book. That's one of the reasons why I read the book even if I have read the comic book ^^
And about Valerie well I really enjoyed this one it's a little different from what I am used to and quite I would say refreshing ^^ As aerysa said this one shows both sides and you can full understand Very Happy

Unlikely Pilgrim's Castle I think there was something messing we don't know how they got "in love"
Other that I really like but gave me the same feeling was A Husband To Belong to it was a nice story but we don't see Jake (I think that was the name not sure -.-') side or what he thinks most of the time
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Wed May 09, 2012 11:47 am

Nathye wrote:

Unlikely Pilgrim's Castle I think there was something messing we don't know how they got "in love"
Other that I really like but gave me the same feeling was A Husband To Belong to it was a nice story but we don't see Jake (I think that was the name not sure -.-') side or what he thinks most of the time

True, but while you didn't really see how Jake fell in love with Marla, there was interaction between the two of them and Marla showed her both her strength and vulnerability which are good plot movers. Juan from Pilgrim's Castle hardly said a thing and he decided he's in love with Yvain. Character wise, Yvain didn't really appeal either and that's bad since everything in the story revolves around her.
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Thu May 10, 2012 11:59 am

Nathye wrote:
haha, I had to double check which one that was. Kind of skimmed over it again.
Actually, I didn't mind that one. I think there was enough interaction between the two to make it believable. Like silvery said, Marla showed various aspects of herself that pretty much would tug at his heartstrings and confound him. The similarities to Jaycee and her mm... Concern. And her compassionate nature towards those kittens and even her loyalty when she didn't say anything about Jaycee being her sister when she had every right to break her promise in that situation.

Pilgrim's Castle was just confounding in this "HUUUH?!" fashion.
There was little to no interaction between Yvain and Juan. Then all of a sudden, she's blushing and disturbed by his interaction with that other woman (forgot her name). I totally don't get it. She fell in love with him because he saved her? He's handsome? And what the heck... But I'm a cynic, despite the romantic in me, so he fell in love with her at first sight and did absolutely nothing after having her around?!
I get that "love at first sight" is pretty cliched way of "life" in romance books, but they still have got to have more movement beyond that...

Of course, it could just be what they picked out of the book to portray, but let's face it. Some books are just terrible like that. haha~ It wouldn't be the first one, that's for sure.

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Thu May 10, 2012 12:18 pm

aerysa wrote:

Pilgrim's Castle was just confounding in this "HUUUH?!" fashion.
There was little to no interaction between Yvain and Juan. Then all of a sudden, she's blushing and disturbed by his interaction with that other woman (forgot her name). I totally don't get it. She fell in love with him because he saved her? He's handsome? And what the heck... But I'm a cynic, despite the romantic in me, so he fell in love with her at first sight and did absolutely nothing after having her around?!
I get that "love at first sight" is pretty cliched way of "life" in romance books, but they still have got to have more movement beyond that...

Of course, it could just be what they picked out of the book to portray, but let's face it. Some books are just terrible like that. haha~ It wouldn't be the first one, that's for sure.

my sense of humour is saying maybe he's shy... but i really can't see how the master of the island can get around to getting things done if he has a problem dealing with people. The only thing I can say in this book's defense is that it was written in 1969... that might explain why us strong-willed, empowered women of the 21st century feel out of sorts with this story Wink
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Mon May 14, 2012 8:09 am

Lol... Him being shy?! He didn't come across that way when he was pretty forceful in a way.

Personally, I don't think it's that she was weak-willed or anything like that. My biggest issue was that there was zero interaction between them from beginning to end. Then all of a sudden, they were like "I love you!" "I love you too!" So in that sense, I don't think time-frame of when it was written plays into effect. Just seems weird to claim you love someone when you don't even know anything about them.

Like for Juan, he could have found ways to showed his interest in her. I understand for Yvain it was more difficult since she has no claims to the man's time - especially because of his position.

Overall, just seems like this huge disconnect between beginning and end. Might have just been the scenes that were picked as part of the story... *shrugs* I guess, if someone reads the original and thinks otherwise. But overall, didn't seem like a story I would want to read XD

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Mon May 14, 2012 6:41 pm

I agree. Oh well, I like this week's release: Practice husband. I think I'm a huge sucker for childhood friends falling in love... Rolling Eyes Art was nice and there's just the right amount of tension to move the story along. I hope everyone gives their two cents before me and aerysa end up having a two way debate Wink
Back to top Go down
Nathye

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Tue May 15, 2012 12:51 am

Btw has anyone read Pilgrim's Castle the novel is the interactions between the characters different? Rolling Eyes

I also liked this week release Practical Husband ^^ It was nice... I really loved the part were Addy goes to the party and meets that girl (Cookie) who was the prettiest girl in the class and that girl ask her if she was the whale and says that she used to be fat and Addy just answer that Cookie used to be really thin ^^ it was hilarious Laughing
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Tue May 15, 2012 1:04 pm

Nathye wrote:
Btw has anyone read Pilgrim's Castle the novel is the interactions between the characters different? Rolling Eyes
haha, I was hoping someone else would read it and let us know. I couldn't save the file that was shared in the other thread. I could access it, but once I tried to download it, the silly thing froze up Rolling Eyes

Anyways, this week's release was fun too! It reminds me a lot of Cinderella no Kake which is my favourite release so far. I like it when there's more interaction and more history between the hero and heroine. Uh... Coming from the one who loves historical romances where everything seems to take place within weeks... LOL~

I really liked that party part too! HAHA, how she's like "Weren't you a whale?!" Shocked

The other part I like is where Addy goes to visit him after their night together because she still wanted to be friends and invites him out for lunch. It takes a lot of courage to do something like that.

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Wed May 16, 2012 12:57 am

aerysa wrote:
haha, I was hoping someone else would read it and let us know. I couldn't save the file that was shared in the other thread. I could access it, but once I tried to download it, the silly thing froze up Rolling Eyes

True to be told... I was hoping the same thing Twisted Evil

aerysa wrote:
The other part I like is where Addy goes to visit him after their night together because she still wanted to be friends and invites him out for lunch. It takes a lot of courage to do something like that.

It sure does take a lot of courage to do that !

aerysa you said you like historical romances have you read "Kabe no Hana: Hishoyaka na Shoka no Yoru no" I know that Transient Mirage hasn't finished the project yet but there are 2 chapters out what do you think?
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Wed May 16, 2012 11:36 am

Nathye wrote:
aerysa wrote:

True to be told... I was hoping the same thing Twisted Evil

Sorry, I just realized that i have a huge pile of Mary Balogh(and other authors) that I downloaded from the previous forum but haven't even started on... silent

Nathye wrote:
aerysa you said you like historical romances have you read "Kabe no Hana: Hishoyaka na Shoka no Yoru no" I know that Transient Mirage hasn't finished the project yet but there are 2 chapters out what do you think?[/color]

Isn't that based on Lisa Kleypas' Wallflower series? Haven't read it yet but it should be good.
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Wed May 16, 2012 3:49 pm

silvery wrote:
Sorry, I just realized that i have a huge pile of Mary Balogh(and other authors) that I downloaded from the previous forum but haven't even started on... silent
Lol~ There will always be more added, so you can be picky about it... I was counting on you since you're our resident prolific reader! Razz

Nathye wrote:
aerysa you said you like historical romances have you read "Kabe no Hana: Hishoyaka na Shoka no Yoru no" I know that Transient Mirage hasn't finished the project yet but there are 2 chapters out what do you think?
Oooh~ I JUST read the first part. I didn't even know it existed! I didn't realize there was another group doing HQ mangas~ YAY!

That said... It seems really interesting. Everyone's been saying how awesome Lisa Kleypas is, and I still haven't got around to reading her books. I shall now put this series on the top of the list! Very Happy

Yes silvery, this is her Wallflower series. Looks like they've done a number of her other books into HQ manga too since I was poking around on the Transient Mirage webpage. A lot of them are listed under the "future" page. Exciting~~

Not So New
Not So New

PostSubject: Practice Husband   Wed May 16, 2012 5:05 pm

I think this week's release was very much like any other of the HQ mangas. It reminded me of Acting on Impulse (also released on sms).

Originally I thought it would follow the same story line as Acting on Impulse. Addy, like Trudy would go a little wild but when I think about it now, they have very different personalities and were looking for two different things. Trudy was looking for passion whereas Addy was looking to settle.

Also, as superficial as this seems, Addy's goody two shoes personality annoyed me here and there. I realize it comes from her experience from when she was going on the path to nunnery;however I wasn't pleased by how she couldn't see from Joe's point of view of his brother. Yes, her kindness did allow Joe to forget his revenge and allowed him to have a harmonious union with his half brother but I could understand Joe's frustration of her being unable to understand his feelings towards his father and half brother at the time.
Back to top Go down
Nathye

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Thu May 17, 2012 2:55 am

blesses wrote:
I wasn't pleased by how she couldn't see from Joe's point of view of his brother. Yes, her kindness did allow Joe to forget his revenge and allowed him to have a harmonious union with his half brother but I could understand Joe's frustration of her being unable to understand his feelings towards his father and half brother at the time.

It's true that there's some frustration but the brother is also not at fault... There was nothing he could do to change what his father did...
Back to top Go down
blesses
Not So New
Not So New

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Thu May 17, 2012 12:41 pm

@Nathye
Yeah that's what I came to understand by the end of the manga. It was for the best though doesn't change the fact that I was a little frustrated when Joe was explaining his situation to Addy. I'm glad that the half brother wasn't as bad as Joe thought he was. His half brother was just as much of a victim of his father's unruly behavior as Joe was. Both Joe's father and mother are at fault. I thought his brother was going to be like his father when he met Addy. Because Addy is considered a really beautiful woman, I thought that it was possible the half-brother would come onto her. Once again, a relief it is that he didn't turn out as bad as Joe thought he was.
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Thu May 17, 2012 1:17 pm

Yay for discussion! You both make really good points.

But now that I think about it... Considering she was meant for a nunnery (or had plans for), it's kind of "wow" that she ended up sleeping with him. You would think that fact would sit more uncomfortably on her conscience. I know she was changing her mind about marriage and everything, but just seems contradictory to her background Rolling Eyes

I guess in the long haul, it was pretty cliched - all the different elements.
1. Hero is changed by the "goodness" of the heroine.
2. Revenge is achieved, but feels empty.
3. Misunderstandings between both sides regarding past issues (parental bringing up, blah blah)

But yeah, I'm so glad that his half brother (David?) didn't start hitting on Addy! haha, I almost expected that to create some tension between them.

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Fri May 18, 2012 6:47 am

It didn't even cross my mind the brother hitting on her... so when I was reading I was kind of Shocked but yes it was something they could have used... but thanks God they didn't 'cause the poor brother would probably get killed xD Joe already hated his brother with him hitting on Addy... It doesn't look good Razz
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Fri May 18, 2012 11:44 am

haha, after a while you'll come across a same plot, no matter the setting. But yeah, I had thought the brother would hit on Addy too. Turns out he's more mild/timid than I expected...
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Mon May 21, 2012 6:25 am

silvery wrote:
haha, after a while you'll come across a same plot, no matter the setting. But yeah, I had thought the brother would hit on Addy too. Turns out he's more mild/timid than I expected...
Lol, so true! You read enough and you'll see reoccuring themes like this! It's pretty common I would think, to turn the story into a love triangle. (Not sure how common between brothers/half-brothers though.) I'm glad it didn't turn out that way. If she did use that plot device, I think she would have not only dragged out the story, but also made it difficult to resolve the differences between the brothers.

It was a much cleaner ending this way. Not to mention, maybe his brother already had someone important in his life? It would be too sudden and too... Can't think of the word. But he would become more important of a character if that plot was used. Like I said - would have dragged out the story more.

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Mon May 21, 2012 12:24 pm

Yeah, if a love triangle was used, the story would have dragged to a point where I'd hate to continue. I know some shoujo manga use this plot mover (love quadrangles even) and I usually end up getting irritated with the heroine for being wishy-washy and just wishing the story would end...
Back to top Go down
blesses
Not So New
Not So New

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Mon May 21, 2012 12:34 pm

silvery wrote:
Yeah, if a love triangle was used, the story would have dragged to a point where I'd hate to continue. I know some shoujo manga use this plot mover (love quadrangles even) and I usually end up getting irritated with the heroine for being wishy-washy and just wishing the story would end...

Agreed. I've read enough love triangles in shoujo mangas. I know it's supposed to be a plot thickener or w/e the word is where the author decides to throw something into the story to twist things a little bit. (I can't seem to think of the right word. Plot thickener isn't right. It's at the tip of my tongue x.x) But I can't help predicting or suspecting that it would happen in these loves stories.
Back to top Go down
blesses
Not So New
Not So New

PostSubject: To Marry a Stranger/Unmei no Oaite wa?   Mon May 21, 2012 1:37 pm

At the beginning of this HQ, I was very skeptical. I thought Helen was very foolish and gullible to have believed in the legend. Her belief in love was so pure and innocent and so so naive. I thought she was pathetic when she seriously believed that Herc Boggs was her destined person.

BUT I found this HQ very very enjoyable. There were just so many laughs.
-Her first scare when Damien appeared for the first time. Then her second scare when she rescues the "badger"
-Herc Boggs- believing in aliens and Helen believing he is her destined man Lol
-Herc Boggs and Jewel falling for each other. What a surprised and just so amusing. And I quote, "Those dreamy eyes of his" rofl

Sigh....I had fun reading this. A lot of fun.
The sisters kind of reminded me of the sisters from Little Women. Elissa=Jo and Lucy=Meg
The food that Helen cooked, reading and looking at the pictures, my mouth was just watering. (Hmmm it's almost time for dinner too)=D
The ending, when Helen let Damien go, I thought she'd finally grown up. She was brave to just let go of the man she loved and let him return to the world he was once glorious in but cowardly attempted to run away from. At that moment, she was more awesome as a person, more than just an amazing chef and more than just a dreaming girl.
When Damien proposed, I couldn't help laughing. It was so corny and so funny but so so loving.

Ah....seriously had a lot of fun reading this HQ.

Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Mon May 21, 2012 4:49 pm

silvery wrote:
Evil or Very Mad I hate that!! There was one manga I used to like called Parfait Tic which is like that! The girl had two handsome cousins as her neighbor and she was wishy-washily flip-flopping between which one she liked. And of course, to complicate the matter, they both end up liking her... And just drags on and on and on... I still kind of read it when it comes out, but only because I really like the hairstyles Fuuko has! LOL~ But it gets much when it's like 20 volumes of this attitude. Like make up your damn mind already!

@blesses - Plot twist? Haha, plot thickener sounds alright too, but not quite right. I think it's okay as a plot device, but sometimes it's just not done properly and makes it really boring.

As for the new release, I loved it too! It seemed like it was kind of silly - to get together just because of a legend and what not. But overall, I think Helen had a caring personality and I love how she started taking care of him as a stray. And that moment where she tells him to grow up and man up, even though she knew she would miss him... It was definitely a turning point.

As for the hilarious moments... haha, those were fun. I loved her reaction when she first thought Herc was supposed to be her 'destined man'. Even how her dream included them and all their babies were wearing aluminum-lined hats! XD

Definitely helps that Damien is totally smexy with his long hair, beautifully sculpted body and pirate patch... Not going to lie Laughing

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   

Back to top Go down

General HQ thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 14Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next