PostSubject: General HQ thread   Mon May 07, 2012 8:19 am

First topic message reminder :

INTRODUCTION--May 6, 2012
Dear Members,

Spoiler:

READ READ READ READ READ!!
Seriously, READ IT. Especially 1,5, and 6

RULES OF DISCUSSION
These rules were put together by the current members of the discussion at that time: aerysa, Nathye, silvery, and blesses (me).
Last Edited:9th of June,2012
Spoiler:

MINI STATUS UPDATES:

OCTOBER 13, 2012
Hi guys,
I haven't been very available for discussion and it seems like no one else is too....I don't know where this is going but I'll be checking in every so often to see if people want to keep discussion. Maybe it's because summer is over so everyone's just going about their busy lives. I know I am but I'll still keep checking in.

Best,
Blesses

CURRENT SUGGESTED HQ DISCUSSION
Italian Playboy's Secret Son/Ososugita Saikai
START DATE: 17th of September, 2012 at 12:00AM/00:00 UTC+00:00
END: 30th of September 2012 at 11:59PM/23:59 UTC+00:00
SCANLATOR: SHOJO MANHWA SCANS
FORUM LINK: http://smscans.fanbb.net/t54-italian-playboy-s-secret-son

NEW RELEASE DISCUSSION
The Desert Lord's Baby
START DATE: 24th of September, 2012
END: 30th of September 2012 at 11:59PM UTC+00:00

Last edited by blesses on Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:13 pm; edited 87 times in total
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
blesses
Not So New
Not So New

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:25 pm

oops accidentally posted twice. look below.

Last edited by blesses on Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
blesses
Not So New
Not So New

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:43 pm

Honorable Thief
Spoiler:

OFF TOPIC
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Nathye

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:46 pm

blesses wrote:
also....Nathye hasn't come in to discussion since last week? Anyone know if life has caught her up in something?

I can't come for some time I have exams and need to study ^^ but for the middle of next week I'll probably be back (not sure) Very Happy so see you soon

Not So New
Not So New

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:59 am

Nathye wrote:
blesses wrote:
also....Nathye hasn't come in to discussion since last week? Anyone know if life has caught her up in something?

I can't come for some time I have exams and need to study ^^ but for the middle of next week I'll probably be back (not sure) Very Happy so see you soon

ahh ok. good luck with exams then =D
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:51 am

Honorable Thief
Spoiler:

OFF TOPIC
Spoiler:

Nathye wrote:
I figured it would be something like that since you mentioned your exams in a different thread. Good luck with them! Hope you do well ^^

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:11 pm

blesses wrote:
Nathye wrote:
blesses wrote:

ahh ok. good luck with exams then =D

aerysa wrote:
I figured it would be something like that since you mentioned your exams in a different thread. Good luck with them! Hope you do well ^^

Thanks. There is just one left for now ^^ (I hope -.-')

Not So New
Not So New

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:06 pm

OFF TOPIC
Hey guys, I won't be in for the next few days because I have to go to my college orientation =) I haven't found time to read the HQ yet so I'll post my review later in the week. But after looking at the cover page, I remember that I wasn't very fond of that HQ.

Have fun talking. The discussion can now begin for A MOST SUITABLE WIFE

Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:15 pm

blesses wrote:
OFF TOPIC
Hey guys, I won't be in for the next few days because I have to go to my college orientation =) I haven't found time to read the HQ yet so I'll post my review later in the week. But after looking at the cover page, I remember that I wasn't very fond of that HQ.
Hm... I don't know how much discussion we're going to get going this week since it seems like everyone, but me, is super busy... Lol. But we'll see. Now... Onto the discussion!

A Most Suitable Wife
Spoiler:

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:00 am

aerysa wrote:
blesses wrote:
OFF TOPIC
Hm... I don't know how much discussion we're going to get going this week since it seems like everyone, but me, is super busy... Lol. But we'll see. Now... Onto the discussion!

I am back (not totally) I now have (sort of) classes and my time is short but I will come by later after I read "A Most Suitable Wife" it has been so long that I really can't remember any of it ^^'

Not So New
Not So New

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:17 pm

This time I didn't take notes b/c I didn't have the time to do that. I just read it and wrote a review. I'm sure I would have felt like it was more likable if I took the time to take notes though =/

MY REVIEW--
Spoiler:

Comments to Aerysa's review---
A Most Suitable Wife
Spoiler:

Last edited by blesses on Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Nathye

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:56 am

A Most Suitable Wife
1) Like
2)It's a fresh story, you can somewhat relate to it (not completely). You also can see that loves is not always a straight line .
3 ) Well I like all the different faces that the do especially him, it's hilarious. The beginning how he comes out and she has a lot of hearts around her head and in her eye.
It's a surprisingly funny story and when he enter the flat for the first time was just (I'm speechless) love it. When at the company he tries to chase after her and then falls so cute xD
4) I disliked the ending they happily marry (then move away probably to his place) and live happily ever after please so cliché -.-' then there is all the lies and unsaid thing, I understand his point but hers? Come on she cheats on everybody almost get "raped" and think it's the guys fault, yes he is to blame but so is she -.-' I really hated the mother (obvious reasons xD)
5) I didn't get what happened with the roommate and the mother -.-
6) good art, nice story-line, nothing more to say Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:45 am

A Most Suitable Wife

Spoiler:

Off-topic
So for next week's discussion, should we say Nathye picks? It seems like silvery is still pretty busy since she hasn't dropped by yet.

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: General HQ thread   Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:20 pm

Now for a Guy's point of view on this Harlequin.

I think that the begining when Magnus sort of barges into Taynes life is one of the better parts of the story. The story would have been better had it concentrated more on relationship between Tayne and Magnus, and not all of the other men. I think they were too distractive. The best parts were the interactive parts between Tayne and Magnus.

Naturally in every Harlequin there is a problem. In this it is Tayne's dysfunctional family. Tayne attempts to handle all of the problems alone. When looking at what a whack job her mother is and the indecisive wimp she has for a brother it is no wonder that she tries to tackle all of the problems alone. But for her to purposely exclude her father, because he "endured enough" ; he was one of the architects of the dysfunctional family. He should have been brought into it earlier to fix it. Tayne by not making him take more responsibility, suffered by making herself accountable for family member responibilities. This speaks well for her character, but shows a weakness an ability to distribute responsibility.

The Ah-Ha moment where Magnus falls in love with Tayne is also missing in the story. The conclusion while typical of Harlequins-Guy and Gal-marry and live happily ever after was rushed. I don't mine the standard happy ending but aone panel finish; Boom over!-Draw a picture of the house, Margo the manga is done. Thar was too rushed.

It was an OK read, the art work was OK but I had to get used to the eyes...those eyes somehow stick in my memory. For me on a scale of 1 to 10
4.9. Not Bad.
Back to top Go down
blesses
Not So New
Not So New

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:19 pm

A Most Suitable Wife
Comments on Nathye's review---
Spoiler:

Response to Aerysa's comments-
Spoiler:

Response to swedesamurai
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Nathye

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:04 am

aerysa wrote:
Off-topic
So for next week's discussion, should we say Nathye picks? It seems like silvery is still pretty busy since she hasn't dropped by yet.

As much as I would love to accept... I think it should be swedesamurai since he joined us Very Happy And as Aerysa suggested before the newcomer should choose the new discussion what do you guys think?

Ps. I will come later do discuss the Most suitable wife (I don't have much time now ^^)

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: General HQ Thread   Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:34 am

IF so, then so.

Since I don't know the status of new releases as of today.

If I were to select I would choose from the two following Harlequins. I would chose these because of all the female leads/protagonists I find the women in these two Harlequins as the most attractive. One story is very simple the other complex.

Dark Hertitage: How can you beat Rebel James, She has a irrepressible personality, she's courageous, smart attractive, and takes care of the little girl Celine as well as dealing with Hugh. Yes the story is simple but I found it cute.

The Bride of Montefalco: I think that Ally is über cool. She may be rocked by one catastrophe or another but recovers and still shines, with grace and elegance. How She gets along with Gino and the family also speaks well for her warm personality.

I just noticed of something both of these stories also have young girls in them - - Ara - Ara. I swear that is by coincidence.
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:36 am

Whoa... All of a sudden such a strong surge of responses so close to the end... And I'm too lazy to respond to everything so I'll just reply to a few Laughing

A Most Suitable Wife
Spoiler:

Off-Topic
Nathye wrote:
As much as I would love to accept... I think it should be swedesamurai since he joined us Very Happy And as Aerysa suggested before the newcomer should choose the new discussion what do you guys think?
Yes, that's right. And he posted after I did, so it wasn't like I purposely didn't pick him or anything Razz

swedesamurai wrote:
IF so, then so.

Since I don't know the status of new releases as of today.

If I were to select I would choose from the two following Harlequins. I would chose these because of all the female leads/protagonists I find the women in these two Harlequins as the most attractive. One story is very simple the other complex.

Dark Hertitage: How can you beat Rebel James, She has a irrepressible personality, she's courageous, smart attractive, and takes care of the little girl Celine as well as dealing with Hugh. Yes the story is simple but I found it cute.

The Bride of Montefalco: I think that Ally is über cool. She may be rocked by one catastrophe or another but recovers and still shines, with grace and elegance. How She gets along with Gino and the family also speaks well for her warm personality.

I just noticed of something both of these stories also have young girls in them - - Ara - Ara. I swear that is by coincidence.
blesses will update the first topic accordingly if there is a new HQ released. Otherwise, please just pick one story for discussion. Which one you wish to discuss is completely up to you - hence why you're picking Laughing

Also, please include a link to the blog post or thread post if you can find it - just to help us find it.

AND, sorry to be a stickler, but please follow the guidelines in the first post the next time you formulate your review. It makes it much easier to discuss that way. You can summarize or make point-form notes for each section as you feel necessary.

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: General HQ Thread   Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:48 pm

Title of Story: Dark Hertitage

1) What I Love/Hate/Like/Dislike/Neutral about the story
Spoiler:

2) Explain reasons for #1. (Elaborate!)
Spoiler:

3) Moments that I liked and why.
Spoiler:

4) Moments that I disliked and why.
Spoiler:

5) Things that I am confused about.
Spoiler:

6) Other comments that don't fall into categories above.
Spoiler:

Last edited by swedesamurai on Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:18 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Just wanted to copy my post to a word doc)
Back to top Go down
Nathye

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:27 am

Dark Hertitage
1) Love/Hate/Like/Dislike/Neutral about the story - Choose one.
I love it
2) Explain reasons for #1. (Elaborate!)
Well it's different from what I am used to… I like the way she had a difficult childhood but that didn't stop her. The fact that she has a lot of brothers is also sweet ^^ since in my case I have none Very Happy
3) Moments that you liked and why.
I just love what she does to Celente in the begging or how she is mistaken by the baron :p I like the art and all the different expressions. Also the dinner time I liked the way she protected the niece and gave Ms. Ramley all the answers nicely. I also liked the fact that she stood to what she believed was true, I am referring to the niece. She wasn't to blame by what her parents did after all she is just a child.
4) Moments that you disliked and why.
Well don't really have one… I can say I didn't like the baron attitude towards his niece… especially when he though that she had troubled the meeting when she hadn't done anything. I also din't like the niece name.
5) Things that you are confused about.
Nothing really.

Not So New
Not So New

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:01 am

Sorry I'm having some troubles with my laptop so I wont be updating the first post yet. Do carry on with discussions. I'll try to update asap
Back to top Go down
Nathye

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:24 am

blesses wrote:
Sorry I'm having some troubles with my laptop so I wont be updating the first post yet. Do carry on with discussions. I'll try to update asap

Don't worry about that... Take your time you have a whole week to discuss... It's like me I can't start discussing other people posts 'cause I don't have time right now ^^ I can just do small posts... the big one I will do in a couple of days when I have the day off Surprised

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:35 pm

Dark Heritage

My review (which is rather long ^^;; )
Spoiler:

@swedesamurai
Thanks for following the format! For the next ones, you really just have to say whether you liked/loved/hated (whichever one) for point 1 since you explain why in point 2.

I agree with all your points for the most part. There should have been more development between Hugh and Rebel from Hugh's point of view. Like you were saying for the previous HQ discussed, there was no "Ah ha!" moment and I felt like it really needed it based on how they were meeting. Also, Rebel's "Ah ha" moments were too cliched for me - which I already stated.

Despite strength of character, it's totally possible for a person to have those moments of rational flying out the window - aka falling in love. But I felt like it could have been so much stronger if it wasn't so focused on her reaction to his eyes and mm... Physicality. (It happened 3 or 4 times that it was just his eyes drawing her in...) Given his gentleness/sweetness, I wish it was more focused on that towards her as the reason.

And yes, it would have been totally worth it to see her kill the snake with smiles. And when that opportunity arose again at the end - Hugh kills that opportunity by stepping in when she was already muddled up by the reality that she has a grandpa.

Nathye wrote:
Well don't really have one… I can say I didn't like the baron attitude towards his niece… especially when he though that she had troubled the meeting when she hadn't done anything. I also din't like the niece name.
Not liking the niece's name... Laughing I guess it is a rather strange name - not one that I've heard of before.

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:07 pm

I'm back! Very Happy give me a while to re-read the story then i'll put in my two cents Wink
Back to top Go down
swedesamurai
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: General HQ thread   Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:34 am

Sorry not stating clearly that I liked this Harlequin. as should have been in my first paragrasph.

A little off topic but related:

My response was slow because I got sucked into a couple of good books.

I grew up Reading things like SGT Rock and SGT Fury comics. I never thought that I would have been interested in Harlequins. I never thought I would be reading them. The only reason that I am was after seeing the film RED with Bruce Willis where he reads Harlequins. I know that the manga manhwa versions of Harlequins must be condensed so I started doing some investigations by reading real ones.

Yesterday I read three real Harlequins, to see if the mans side of the a realtionship is included or ignored, as much as Hugh's were in Dark Hertitage. They are not at least in the three that I read yesterday. The weather here was stormy and so the best thing to do was to read. The three HQs (1 Royal Romace Type; 1 Tycoon Romance Type; and 1 Medical Romance Type) that I read all treated the thought processes of the male protagonists with if not a much detail as the female protagonist; with just enough tht the reader sees enough of the romantic development from the mans side. So using these three full novels as a measuring stick I think it would be safe to say Hugh's character was really underdeveloped.

I would really like a chance to read one of the full novels that one of these Mangas/Manhwas are based on. Then I think a really good discussion could take place based on the more detailed character descriptions.

The Harlequins are real easy reads after my main genres of History; Hard Sciences; and Svience Fiction. Therefore 3 novels in 14 hours. They are easy to read but they suck you into them until you want to know what happens. Really enjoyed them.
Back to top Go down
Nathye

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:14 am

@aerysa and @swedesamurai I agree with both of you when you said that it was too rushed and there was not enough development. I don't know if the original book has the development but if you wana read it here is the link Dark Hertitage by Emma Darcy or you can see it in Sharing HQ and other ebooks I also post it there.

I can see your point when you say that it was much more of her point of view and that we don't see his point of view or how he feel in love. But I think there was no other way of doing this oneshot and having both of them in focus.
Ps. I don't know who I am answering to scratch scratch I lost track of it midway sorry silent silent

aerysa wrote:
Nathye wrote:
Not liking the niece's name... Laughing I guess it is a rather strange name - not one that I've heard of before.

Never have I heard of such a name ^^

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   

Back to top Go down

General HQ thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 14  Next