Shojo Manhwa Scans

Download Scanlations from SMScans Here
 
BlogHomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 General HQ thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
blesses
Not So New
Not So New


Posts : 136
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : USA

PostSubject: General HQ thread   Mon May 07, 2012 8:19 am

First topic message reminder :

INTRODUCTION--May 6, 2012
Dear Members,

Spoiler:
 
READ READ READ READ READ!!
Seriously, READ IT. Especially 1,5, and 6

RULES OF DISCUSSION
These rules were put together by the current members of the discussion at that time: aerysa, Nathye, silvery, and blesses (me).
Last Edited:9th of June,2012
Spoiler:
 

MINI STATUS UPDATES:

OCTOBER 13, 2012
Hi guys,
I haven't been very available for discussion and it seems like no one else is too....I don't know where this is going but I'll be checking in every so often to see if people want to keep discussion. Maybe it's because summer is over so everyone's just going about their busy lives. I know I am but I'll still keep checking in.

Best,
Blesses


CURRENT SUGGESTED HQ DISCUSSION
Italian Playboy's Secret Son/Ososugita Saikai
START DATE: 17th of September, 2012 at 12:00AM/00:00 UTC+00:00
END: 30th of September 2012 at 11:59PM/23:59 UTC+00:00
SCANLATOR: SHOJO MANHWA SCANS
FORUM LINK: http://smscans.fanbb.net/t54-italian-playboy-s-secret-son

NEW RELEASE DISCUSSION
The Desert Lord's Baby
START DATE: 24th of September, 2012
END: 30th of September 2012 at 11:59PM UTC+00:00



Last edited by blesses on Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:13 pm; edited 87 times in total
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
blesses
Not So New
Not So New


Posts : 136
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : USA

PostSubject: To Marry a Stranger/Unmei no Oaite wa?   Tue May 22, 2012 11:37 am

@aerysa
It is a silly HQ. Exactly like you said, silly that they get together b/c of a legend. But when you think about it, they fell in love w/ each other or began to develop feelings for one another before they realized that it happened like the legend said it would. It just so happens that the legend seemed to correlate with their love.

I thought the turning point was after Herc Boggs and Jewel fell for each other and Damien encountered a Helen in a nothing but a slip covered in fig pudding in the kitchen. After all, they did share more than a few passionate kisses with one another, tasting like fig pudding. But it's not b/c of the kisses that made it the turning point. It was because they were finally giving into their desire for one another which gave a leeway to their finally realizing how much they are "destined" for one another. That's just me though. What you thought is the turning point was very significant to the story line still. But I would think that a turning point isn't so close to the end. This is just my opinion. Sorry, now that I have typed this, I feel like there's no point in having a discussion on what the turning point is but oh well typed this much already =)

haha. I agree with you on that last point you made. The mangaka drew Damien hot. The scars on his body only increases his attractiveness, though I know that in real life, it would probably be a real scare. I think he looks hot w/ or w/o his eye patch. If he doesn't have an eye patch on and just covers his eye w/ his hair, he'll still look great. A confident man like him is attractive. Helen made the right decision to let him go and have closure with the world he was a part of before the accident.
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member
avatar

Posts : 466
Join date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Tue May 22, 2012 12:15 pm

True to all that you guys have said. Helen struck me as too young/naive/believing. I'd say a legend like the love mansion is romantic but I don't think I'd trespass on private property (or risk my life if the mansion hasn't been maintained) just to try and get myself a man. Well, she redeems herself later when she shows her caring and spunky nature. What I liked in this story was the use of food to "tame" Damien. They always said the best way to a man's heart is through his stomach Wink
Back to top Go down
blesses
Not So New
Not So New


Posts : 136
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Tue May 22, 2012 4:13 pm

@silvery
Lol yeah I totally thought that while reading that part of the HQ. I liked how Helen implied that Damien was an animal when she said that it's easy to tame an animal/get an animal's trust w/ good food. Got a good laugh out of that xD
Back to top Go down
aerysa
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 600
Join date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Wed May 23, 2012 10:39 am

blesses wrote:
@silvery
Lol yeah I totally thought that while reading that part of the HQ. I liked how Helen implied that Damien was an animal when she said that it's easy to tame an animal/get an animal's trust w/ good food. Got a good laugh out of that xD
AHAHA, so true. Especially the part where she was saying "a very large animal is getting taken away back to its environment" or whatever she said when Nanette came back for him.

Back to the turning point thing though.
I think the part you mentioned about the figgy kiss is more a turning point in terms of accepting/acknowledging the attraction between them. The second part is more a turning point in terms of being realistic about the relationship? If that makes sense. Like yes, they were very much attracted to each other, but there were still things from the past that Damien still hadn't dealt with. So for him to bring all that baggage with him into the relationship... Just wouldn't seem like it would last if he stayed and didn't go back first.

But so agreed on the hotness of our hero! He was totally yummilicious with or without the eye patch and they made the scars sexy, even though we all know it's not really like that in reality! I think the whole confidence thing WITH the eye patch makes him sexier though - marginally. haha~ Like most people would be mm... Self-conscious about such a thing? But not him. He was running around with it on like, "Meh, just another part of me." And now I'm just fangirling about silly things Embarassed

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://mikarysa.livejournal.com/
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member
avatar

Posts : 466
Join date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Wed May 23, 2012 12:15 pm

Are you? It was the eyepatch that piqued my interest when I first saw the cover art. If he hadn't been wearing the eyepatch, I would admit that he was still hot but for me, the eyepatch made him look like a pirate/rogue that I was smitten. So no, I don't think you're fangirling about silly things... Wink
Back to top Go down
aerysa
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 600
Join date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Fri May 25, 2012 7:03 am

silvery wrote:
the eyepatch made him look like a pirate/rogue that I was smitten.
WHAAA! Totally!! I was thinking it was a pirate story too! Until I read the summary, but by then, I had to read it anyways. Because YUM~

I think it would be totally cool if there was a pirate story! I wonder if there are any HQ mangas like that? It would be much more fun that those uh... "Got her pregnant, so gotta marry her!" ones. BAH. I HATE those ones. So stupid.

Honestly, those ones amaze me at how EASY it is to get pregnant. Considering in reality, people try so hard to get pregnant (because they actually WANT a child)... And in books, they just have a one-night fling and BAM! Instant baby maker. I have yet to read a story where it doesn't happen that way =__=;;

(Lol, now I'm ranting and raving on a totally diff topic, but can't help it... That plot device in particular just drives me bonkers! Evil or Very Mad )

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://mikarysa.livejournal.com/
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member
avatar

Posts : 466
Join date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Fri May 25, 2012 11:54 am

aerysa wrote:
silvery wrote:
the eyepatch made him look like a pirate/rogue that I was smitten.
WHAAA! Totally!! I was thinking it was a pirate story too! Until I read the summary, but by then, I had to read it anyways. Because YUM~

I think it would be totally cool if there was a pirate story! I wonder if there are any HQ mangas like that? It would be much more fun that those uh... "Got her pregnant, so gotta marry her!" ones. BAH. I HATE those ones. So stupid.

Well, unless it's a historical romance, we'll be hard pressed for a pirate romance. (And then the plot will reveal that our pirate hero was actually wronged by the villain who's probably a merchant and he's only been robbing from his ships for revenge and for a happy ending he's going to get pardoned by the king/queen and then the hero and heroine (who was probably the daughter/niece/ward of the villain) will sail off into the sunset) Rolling Eyes

But I do agree that using a baby/pregnancy as a plot device is a bit... Mad It's just silly. I mean the hero will be like you say that's my baby? are you after my money etc but if he doesn't want a kid, there are ways to prevent that... =_=; (looks like I strayed off topic too. Can't be helped. This week's release got a unanimous vote that it's good and nobody really had any bone to pick with it...)
Back to top Go down
blesses
Not So New
Not So New


Posts : 136
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : USA

PostSubject: OFF TOPIC   Fri May 25, 2012 2:21 pm

lol I agree with the baby thing. It's lame but there are a few HQs that have used that strategy. Have they never heard of the morning after pill? How about a little Sex Education?
Also, I think to get a girl pregnant and marry her b/c of that is known as a"shotgun wedding"?

yep, a great HQ this week and ultimately came out a good discussion. However, you guys can discuss any HQ that has been released or comment on it here. That's the purpose of the thread too, as long as the name of the HQ is in the "Post title" In this case, the post title is "OFF TOPIC" =D Also, I hope more people come here and join in on the discussions. It'll make it more fun and interesting =)
Back to top Go down
Nathye
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 296
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : my home xD

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Sat May 26, 2012 4:08 am

"Practice Husband"
I agree with aerysa and silvery when they said that they don't like love triangle and such when I read those kind of plots I really hate it at some point I just stop reading... Mad

"To Marry a Stranger"
blesses wrote:
BUT I found this HQ very very enjoyable. There were just so many laughs.
-Her first scare when Damien appeared for the first time. Then her second scare when she rescues the "badger"
-Herc Boggs- believing in aliens and Helen believing he is her destined man Lol
-Herc Boggs and Jewel falling for each other. What a surprised and just so amusing. And I quote, "Those dreamy eyes of his" rofl

I also think that this plot is very enjoyable... the first time she sees Damien was Shocked and when she believes that her destined one is Herc Boggs man that just killed me Cool Also her babies with him xD

it was a really nice reading

aerysa wrote:
Definitely helps that Damien is totally smexy with his long hair, beautifully sculpted body and pirate patch... Not going to lie Laughing

Oh yeah Damien being like that was sure interesting really nice... my first thought about him was that he would be a really scary guy with scars and pirate patch but by the end I completely changed my mind about him Cool

The legend was really nice and she risking everything to get herself a love... was cute I love you
Back to top Go down
aerysa
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 600
Join date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Sat May 26, 2012 9:57 am

blesses wrote:
yep, a great HQ this week and ultimately came out a good discussion. However, you guys can discuss any HQ that has been released or comment on it here. That's the purpose of the thread too, as long as the name of the HQ is in the "Post title" In this case, the post title is "OFF TOPIC" =D Also, I hope more people come here and join in on the discussions. It'll make it more fun and interesting =)
haha, yeah~ That's what I was going to say! It's not off-topic since this is a general HQ thread anyways~

But I do believe you are correct - that it's called a shotgun wedding. I'm sure it could be done correctly, but no... Usually it's like the "holding" factor to the relationship and it's like "WHAAAT?!" Ugh... It just seriously annoys the crap out of me. Lol, I guess one of the reasons why I stay away from contemporary romances in general. You wouldn't see that happening in a historical one, that's for sure!

@Nathye - I guess Damien would come across as scary the first time we meet him since they did meet in that scary thunderstorm-ing dark mansion. And of course he popped up in front of her JUST as the lightning struck! XD And then of course reappeared totally stark naked, covered in scars. Though she seemed more bothered by his nakedness rather than his scars... Lol~ I guess I would be too if that happened in real life. Shocked

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://mikarysa.livejournal.com/
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member
avatar

Posts : 466
Join date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Mon May 28, 2012 11:42 am

aerysa wrote:
blesses wrote:
yep, a great HQ this week and ultimately came out a good discussion. However, you guys can discuss any HQ that has been released or comment on it here. That's the purpose of the thread too, as long as the name of the HQ is in the "Post title" In this case, the post title is "OFF TOPIC" =D Also, I hope more people come here and join in on the discussions. It'll make it more fun and interesting =)
haha, yeah~ That's what I was going to say! It's not off-topic since this is a general HQ thread anyways~

But I do believe you are correct - that it's called a shotgun wedding. I'm sure it could be done correctly, but no... Usually it's like the "holding" factor to the relationship and it's like "WHAAAT?!" Ugh... It just seriously annoys the crap out of me. Lol, I guess one of the reasons why I stay away from contemporary romances in general. You wouldn't see that happening in a historical one, that's for sure!

Well, in regency romances, they have to announce the banns of the wedding for at least a month so "healthy eight month babies" are widely speculated. But there are of course some stories where the relationship deepens before the wedding (and something does happen) but by then both hero and heroine are so madly in love that the baby just happens to be a bonus.

aerysa wrote:
@Nathye - I guess Damien would come across as scary the first time we meet him since they did meet in that scary thunderstorm-ing dark mansion. And of course he popped up in front of her JUST as the lightning struck! XD And then of course reappeared totally stark naked, covered in scars. Though she seemed more bothered by his nakedness rather than his scars... Lol~ I guess I would be too if that happened in real life. Shocked

Lol, Damien does know how to time his appearance right. The scare factor (especially since Helen wasn't expecting anyone there) sure made sure he was unforgettable. I also agree on the nakedness part. We're usually more concerned about the lack of clothes than the scars, I think...
Back to top Go down
blesses
Not So New
Not So New


Posts : 136
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Mon May 28, 2012 5:35 pm

aerysa wrote:
But I do believe you are correct - that it's called a shotgun wedding. I'm sure it could be done correctly, but no... Usually it's like the "holding" factor to the relationship and it's like "WHAAAT?!" Ugh... It just seriously annoys the crap out of me. Lol, I guess one of the reasons why I stay away from contemporary romances in general. You wouldn't see that happening in a historical one, that's for sure!

True, because people back then didn't have birth control so they had to hold off on an intimate relationship until marriage. Which is also why it's so scandalous and so ill to people's reputation if pregnancy happens before matrimony. I agree with the whole annoyance thing.

However for me, in general, sex is just an approach to liven up the theme is something that is too overused in modern romance. I'm going to change the topic a little so... Take modern shoujos. It's always about something sexual these days. It's why I take interest in older "modern" mangas(the time of kare kano, marmalade boy, PA, etc) as well as historical romances. The stories are more intricate and more original.

But I feel like I'm being pretty hypocritical because a lot of HQs are sexual as well but the difference is that I already know that these romance stories are supposed to be more sexual but also less childish and impulsive therefore josei. Shoujos don't have to be sexual. I've read a few now modern mangas that have the least bit of sexual content in them and they're the most original stories of this time in the shojo world.

Sigh....no matter how I say it, I seem hypocritical so I'm just going to say this: Joseis, sex isn't such a big deal since the audience is older women so romance and sex isn't bizarre. Shojos sex is overrated b/c it's used too much to attract the audience of adolescents.

aerysa wrote:

@Nathye - I guess Damien would come across as scary the first time we meet him since they did meet in that scary thunderstorm-ing dark mansion. And of course he popped up in front of her JUST as the lightning struck! XD And then of course reappeared totally stark naked, covered in scars. Though she seemed more bothered by his nakedness rather than his scars... Lol~ I guess I would be too if that happened in real life. Shocked

Lol I actually thought Damien was funny when he first appeared and during the thunderstorm. Excellent timing for comic relief xD But of course if you mean to say Helen was scared, of course, as would I if I were in the same situation. Lol I don't know if she was bothered by his nudity. She couldn't peel her eyes off him and even landed on him xD
Back to top Go down
aerysa
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 600
Join date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Tue May 29, 2012 5:51 am

silvery wrote:
Well, in regency romances, they have to announce the banns of the wedding for at least a month so "healthy eight month babies" are widely speculated. But there are of course some stories where the relationship deepens before the wedding (and something does happen) but by then both hero and heroine are so madly in love that the baby just happens to be a bonus.
blesses wrote:
True, because people back then didn't have birth control so they had to hold off on an intimate relationship until marriage. Which is also why it's so scandalous and so ill to people's reputation if pregnancy happens before matrimony. I agree with the whole annoyance thing.
They can always obtain "special license" which requires less time than the normal banns. And culturally, it is "unacceptable" to be involved in sexual relationships before marriage - even though it happens all the time. Back then, especially for regencies, women of respectable standing were taught that sex was not something to be enjoyed. It was for the task of producing heirs and nothing else. The enjoyment of sex for women was left to the prostitutes/mistresses. Basically the advice they would receive from their mothers (or close female relative) prior to marriage was to "lie still and let your husband do his job".
The other reason why it's not so "popular" a theme is that there's no way to check/determine pregnancy - not with the accuracy and efficiency as modern day times. There was no pee-on-a-stick and know, or ultrasounds, or "baby doctors" to visit.

And YEEES!! So agreed on the "sex to liven things up" comment!! ESPECIALLY in shoujos... Like WTH?! Why are 12-year olds "worried" about their sexual experiences!? And sooo many BOYS are already like sexually-experienced with multiple partners, and seen as the "kings" of the environment. That is just MESSED. I wish it wasn't so cheapened, though really, it's a reflection of the times we live in Evil or Very Mad Girls are portrayed equally poorly with a focus on them prostituting themselves, and calling it "normal". That is NOT normal! What happened to kids being kids?! Because seriously, they're still kids.

In general, I just don't read shoujos anymore. They're so "out there" for me, not to mention not being in that age group anymore. I find I read more shounen series, and not the ecchi ones, just to avoid the whole "relationship" focus and more for plot since face it - guys are NOT interested in all the "drama" (unnecessary drama) that gets focused on in shoujos.

I'll just read HQs for the "romance" factor... LOL~ Guilty pleasure. And even then, I really do like those "clean" ones better... Just cuz. I mean, obviously it's not like I despise sex in books in general, but it just becomes something else when it's the FOCUS of the story.

(/end rant...)

And about the nakedness with Helen and Damien... HAHA, she did land on top of him, but she dashed out of there pretty quickly after the fact. I mean, it must have been awwwkward for that to happen. It's one of those "shock factor" things. You know, where you stare brazenly in disbelief then skedaddle your butt out of there ASAP when you actually realize what's going on... Laughing

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://mikarysa.livejournal.com/
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member
avatar

Posts : 466
Join date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Tue May 29, 2012 12:15 pm

aerysa wrote:
silvery wrote:
Well, in regency romances, they have to announce the banns of the wedding for at least a month so "healthy eight month babies" are widely speculated. But there are of course some stories where the relationship deepens before the wedding (and something does happen) but by then both hero and heroine are so madly in love that the baby just happens to be a bonus.
blesses wrote:
True, because people back then didn't have birth control so they had to hold off on an intimate relationship until marriage. Which is also why it's so scandalous and so ill to people's reputation if pregnancy happens before matrimony. I agree with the whole annoyance thing.
They can always obtain "special license" which requires less time than the normal banns. And culturally, it is "unacceptable" to be involved in sexual relationships before marriage - even though it happens all the time. Back then, especially for regencies, women of respectable standing were taught that sex was not something to be enjoyed. It was for the task of producing heirs and nothing else. The enjoyment of sex for women was left to the prostitutes/mistresses. Basically the advice they would receive from their mothers (or close female relative) prior to marriage was to "lie still and let your husband do his job".
The other reason why it's not so "popular" a theme is that there's no way to check/determine pregnancy - not with the accuracy and efficiency as modern day times. There was no pee-on-a-stick and know, or ultrasounds, or "baby doctors" to visit.

While the use of special license is rampant in stories, the actual usage in the 19th century was actually very little.(I read this off a regency romance author's page but for the life of me, i can't remember whose) But while I was trying to recall, Anne Gracie has a lot of different links with interesting regency era history

here

The one about the use of fans was interesting (Victorian era courtship)

aerysa wrote:
And YEEES!! So agreed on the "sex to liven things up" comment!! ESPECIALLY in shoujos... Like WTH?! Why are 12-year olds "worried" about their sexual experiences!? And sooo many BOYS are already like sexually-experienced with multiple partners, and seen as the "kings" of the environment. That is just MESSED. I wish it wasn't so cheapened, though really, it's a reflection of the times we live in Evil or Very Mad Girls are portrayed equally poorly with a focus on them prostituting themselves, and calling it "normal". That is NOT normal! What happened to kids being kids?! Because seriously, they're still kids.

In general, I just don't read shoujos anymore. They're so "out there" for me, not to mention not being in that age group anymore. I find I read more shounen series, and not the ecchi ones, just to avoid the whole "relationship" focus and more for plot since face it - guys are NOT interested in all the "drama" (unnecessary drama) that gets focused on in shoujos.

I'll just read HQs for the "romance" factor... LOL~ Guilty pleasure. And even then, I really do like those "clean" ones better... Just cuz. I mean, obviously it's not like I despise sex in books in general, but it just becomes something else when it's the FOCUS of the story.

(/end rant...)
It's ok, there are times when I don't read shoujo for the same reason too. I seriously think they're too young to be experimenting with sex in these books... There are a few good shoujos that focus on the relationship between the characters and how they fall in love with each other etc. So for me I try to look for these instead of those that would end up being rated 18 sx if it were a TV show.

I also agree with you on the HQ and romance thing. That's the reason I'm here and all... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
aerysa
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 600
Join date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Tue May 29, 2012 1:46 pm

silvery wrote:
While the use of special license is rampant in stories, the actual usage in the 19th century was actually very little.(I read this off a regency romance author's page but for the life of me, i can't remember whose) But while I was trying to recall, Anne Gracie has a lot of different links with interesting regency era history
I didn't know that! I guess realistically it'd be pretty rare, given it is called a "special license". It's almost like the modern-day pregnancy issue! Laughing I guess the other option is for them to rush off to Gretna Green, though that's equally frowned upon. XD

silvery wrote:
It's ok, there are times when I don't read shoujo for the same reason too. I seriously think they're too young to be experimenting with sex in these books... There are a few good shoujos that focus on the relationship between the characters and how they fall in love with each other etc. So for me I try to look for these instead of those that would end up being rated 18 sx if it were a TV show.

I also agree with you on the HQ and romance thing. That's the reason I'm here and all... Very Happy
Exactly. Romances at those ages, well, especially the younger junior high age, should just be puppy love and innocent crushes. NOT this sudden inexplicable urge for experimentation with sex and what not Rolling Eyes
That's not to say all of the shoujos are all like that, but to ask me to name one that ISN'T like that (and relatively current). I can't. Everything's just so darn smutty nowadays =__=;;

Oh, which brings me to another rant about the issue... But what is UP with the series where it's older girl-younger guy and the guy (usually like 12 or 13) is a total sex-maniac, not to mention experienced?! I totally don't get it!! And of course, the girl is completely innocent at 16 or 17... Completely bizarre set-up to me. It just makes no sense to me at ALL.

Like geez...! The boy should be playing with lego or outside kicking a soccer ball... Not sleeping with every girl he can lay his grubby hands on! Evil or Very Mad

And yup, definitely why I'm here too - for the HQ comics! Razz

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://mikarysa.livejournal.com/
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member
avatar

Posts : 466
Join date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Wed May 30, 2012 12:48 pm

aerysa wrote:

I didn't know that! I guess realistically it'd be pretty rare, given it is called a "special license". It's almost like the modern-day pregnancy issue! Laughing I guess the other option is for them to rush off to Gretna Green, though that's equally frowned upon. XD

I think it's probably because it would be considered an elopement and well, the standard was that the man always spoke to the father/brother/guardian of his intended to get permission to both court and later marry her. When they elope, it usually means that they didn't get approval and so will end up cut off from one or both families. And if the family that disapproved of the marriage is powerful enough, they may get ostracized by society too. So eloping for love was a risky thing.

aerysa wrote:

Oh, which brings me to another rant about the issue... But what is UP with the series where it's older girl-younger guy and the guy (usually like 12 or 13) is a total sex-maniac, not to mention experienced?! I totally don't get it!! And of course, the girl is completely innocent at 16 or 17... Completely bizarre set-up to me. It just makes no sense to me at ALL.

Like geez...! The boy should be playing with lego or outside kicking a soccer ball... Not sleeping with every girl he can lay his grubby hands on! Evil or Very Mad

I sometimes wonder if there was a mistake in the translation sometimes. After all Japanese school structures are divided into three (primary, middle and high schools) but I remember that American(western?) schools are the same... /sigh/ It just feels like back in the dark ages where child brides were rampant... No
Back to top Go down
aerysa
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 600
Join date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Wed May 30, 2012 3:58 pm

silvery wrote:
I think it's probably because it would be considered an elopement and well, the standard was that the man always spoke to the father/brother/guardian of his intended to get permission to both court and later marry her. When they elope, it usually means that they didn't get approval and so will end up cut off from one or both families. And if the family that disapproved of the marriage is powerful enough, they may get ostracized by society too. So eloping for love was a risky thing.
Yup, it'd be an elopement. The proper way, as you mentioned, is to first ask for permission from the closest male relative/guardian. Then if permission is granted, the following issues are discussed such as dowry and time/place. If they're forced to elope, it's typically because the families do not approve. I think being ostracized by society as a consequence depends on the ranking of the family? Like the hierarchy where dukes are the highest and have more influence then say, a baron.
Also, maybe this is just because of novels, but the whole idea of "love" was pretty radical too - especially to marry for love. Arranged marriages and stuff would be more common since the whole marriage thing is a familial duty to begin with. The man is supposed to find a worthy bride who will bear heirs for the family line and is supposed to be of equal, or close, ranking in terms of background. The woman is supposed to sit pretty (basically) and put up with the man, raise children when they come along and oversee the running of the household - in terms of laundry, cleaning, etc.

silvery wrote:
I sometimes wonder if there was a mistake in the translation sometimes. After all Japanese school structures are divided into three (primary, middle and high schools) but I remember that American(western?) schools are the same... /sigh/ It just feels like back in the dark ages where child brides were rampant... No
Hm? What do you mean? Mistaken how?
I'm not super familiar with the Japanese school structure, but the main difference I can think of is a greater prevalence for "feeder schools" in that culture. You know, where they just continue in the same school from K to 12. They must exist in reality if the have them in comics, since I can't imagine them just making it up. But I can't think of any schools like that where I am. We have the same division too (Canadian) - elementary (typically K to 6), junior high (7 to 9) and senior high (10 to 12).

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://mikarysa.livejournal.com/
Nathye
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 296
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : my home xD

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Thu May 31, 2012 9:58 pm

aerysa wrote:
silvery wrote:
I sometimes wonder if there was a mistake in the translation sometimes. After all Japanese school structures are divided into three (primary, middle and high schools) but I remember that American(western?) schools are the same... /sigh/ It just feels like back in the dark ages where child brides were rampant... No
Hm? What do you mean? Mistaken how?
I'm not super familiar with the Japanese school structure, but the main difference I can think of is a greater prevalence for "feeder schools" in that culture. You know, where they just continue in the same school from K to 12. They must exist in reality if the have them in comics, since I can't imagine them just making it up. But I can't think of any schools like that where I am. We have the same division too (Canadian) - elementary (typically K to 6), junior high (7 to 9) and senior high (10 to 12).

Where I live (Europe) is the same elementary (typically K to 6), junior high (7 to 9) and senior high (10 to 12) ^^
Back to top Go down
blesses
Not So New
Not So New


Posts : 136
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : USA

PostSubject: Old Harlequins   Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:55 am

Hey guys, I don't mean to be a stickler and I like how you guys are having a discussion but it's difficult to talk about HQs when the discussion begins to steer towards more general than HQ. I'm just going to go ahead and name a few that I reread this week waiting for a new release by sms.If you don't know what HQ I'm talking about, Just click on the titles b/c I linked them to their information.

A Husband to Belong To
My favorite thing about this HQ is the family setting. Lost sisters reuniting, it's sweet. Marla's struggle to be recognized by Jaycee after the accident. Honestly I thought it was pretty cruel how negatively Jaycee acted towards Marla despite having a short term amnesia. I would think that their blood bond would somehow make Jaycee cautious but not so cold towards Marla. I thought the sudden memory retrieval of their foster life past with each other by Marla was kind of strange though. It didn't fit in well with the story in my opinion. But I liked this HQ still =)

Itlaian Playboy's Secret Son
Reading this HQ, it's one of those where the rich bachelor feels responsible as a father of his born child and therefore marries the mother. Typical but because the father, Cesar becomes immobile, it's the unique factor in this story. The son Johnny is adorable. His innocent smiles and eyes of admiration towards his father is what makes him cute. Sarah, was kind of pitiful and pathetic but she grows on people. Not only is she not a gold digger but her altruism is really genuine towards her love. It's a shame that the family and Cesar refused to see that side of her but that's what makes the story

Love Child
A bachelor sculptor and a beautiful career woman. Even when there are problems in reproduction, love always seems to help create miracles. A headstrong woman like Liza, I like stories where the female lead doesn't easily get herself dragged into things without rationalizing a little. Liza leaving Jacques the sculptor because he didn't want to be chained down by marriage and kids. Independent and successful. A representation of independent women today. And, little Jacques. So cute. If I ever have a son, I'd want him to be as cute as Jacques is. A little artist with crayons in his overall pockets, mmmm he's so adorable. I think he's the cutest kid in all of the HQs that have been released =D

__________________
Also about schools. They are split into three but it's different in grade levels for America and the rest of the world.
Rest of world- Primary/Elementary K-6, Middle/Junior 7-9, High 10-12
America- Elementary K-5, Middle/Junior 6-8, High 9-12
Also, as you know there are some escalator schools too (K-12) typically in America it's K-8 only for escalator schools.
Back to top Go down
aerysa
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 600
Join date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:26 pm

blesses wrote:
Hey guys, I don't mean to be a stickler and I like how you guys are having a discussion but it's difficult to talk about HQs when the discussion begins to steer towards more general than HQ.
Oops Embarassed I think it would have been alright if there was a release this week, but since there wasn't, it was easy to get distracted by other things Razz

I only remembered the Husband one since we were discussing it earlier, no?
I re-read the other two, but the Secret Son one was all messed up in terms of order. My picture reader thing doesn't like how the files are named and I didn't feel like re-naming them all. Maybe I won't comment on that until I read it properly ^^;;

Okay, so for the Marla/Jake story -
I like that this one was more family oriented in terms of "setting". I liked Marla's character how she was still true to Jaycee even though she could have said something about their relationship when Jaycee lost her memory, despite how much pain it caused her. But yeah, the part where Jaycee forgot about Marla and was even so harsh towards her... It was upsetting. I felt so terrible for Marla! Like here she was, struggling to keep the secret with the woman who was now showing her hostility. Though, the way things were resolved... It seemed kind of spontaneous? That's probably not the right word, but it felt abrupt! Like for days, she couldn't remember and then *bam* Give her the photo album and then she remembered everything... I dunno how it usually works in amnesia cases, but just probably didn't have the proper flow to it?

Sarah/Cesar story - skip! For now.
Though... From the quick skim, one part that was pretty funny was that housekeeper's quick turnabout. Bianca? How before Cesar could walk, she was a sourpuss and just glared at the poor woman. Then after he was healed, she was totally Team Sarah XD

Liza/Jacques story -
Little Jacques was definitely super cute! So angelic at the end ^^
I really like the part where they first meet and he just holds up the cookie for him to eat. Kids are so adorable like that~ And... Uhm, I don't know what else to say! I liked it, but I didn't love it. And hm... Liza was strong and independent to a certain degree, but I think she wasn't until she meets Jacques. Like how she decided to forgo love because she was burned in the past - that's not very "strong" to me, but rather fear. Then again, I wouldn't know since I've never had that kind of experience before... Being dumped, especially by a fiancee, because of a health issue... It's one of those things that makes her character one that's unrelateable (so not a word) since it's something so... "Dramatic".


_________________
Back to top Go down
http://mikarysa.livejournal.com/
blesses
Not So New
Not So New


Posts : 136
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:46 pm

@aerysa

It's ok as long as you guys get back on track. Forum discussions are fun and sometimes heated so it's easy to get carried away. Also, fyi if you ever happen to reread an HQ and have a comment about it, go ahead and post it here like I did after all, can't discuss it anywhere else. anyways....reply to post--

Marla and Jake. I agree, the method of revealing the history between Marla and Jaycee was very odd. But many of these HQs, because they're oneshots, it's hard to have resolve anything at a slow and steady pace when they have to limit the number of pages. It's a fact that I've accepted about HQ mangas but I applaud those that cruise smoothly to the end =D
I think it's ok that the photo album gave the kick she needed to remember but to not even have the slightest recognition or the slightest trust in Marla after Jaycee's brother tells her that Marla is a close friend of Jaycee, I thought that wasn't right. But yeah, I don't know how amnesia cases are. It's probably something that happens (the no recognition thing) however it just doesn't flow right

Well I'm not going to spoil if for you for Sarah and Cesar but there is something that happens before Cesar heals that gets everyone to change their closeminded opinion of Sarah =D

Liza/Jacques. The kid is so adorable. I could just imagine him dressed as an angel or cupid haha!
well about Liza, what you said is true. BUT she has good reasons for how she wasn't strong. Like you said, her fiance left her because she couldn't bear children. She lost two things in her life. Her love and the ability to reproduce which is what is naturally human, to want to care and rear a child one bears. I thought it was cool that Jacques was her rebound guy turned love of her life. Love can heal scars =) It was what gave her new strength and new meaning to live too =) In these situations, even though it's not easy to relate, I try to be understanding.

Lol I had to check if what you said was true about the "word" unrelatable. It sounds like it can be a real world though. hahah

Back to top Go down
aerysa
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 600
Join date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:36 pm

haha, true that~ But yes, if I re-read any and have further comments, I shall remember this thread!

Onto your reply --

That's why for HQs, I like the ones that are 2-volumes since they're given more room to pace the story more appropriately. For some reason, those tend to be the historical romances as well, and that's my favourite genre. So... Win-win! XD But overall, I too have accepted that there tends to be a mad "rush" somewhere, whether it be the middle and how their relationship develops or the ending. Some of them, it's not as mm... Noticeable?
Perhaps she didn't recognize her at first because she actually didn't know Marla for that long? I can't remember the whole timing of the story, but it seems like it was only a couple months. I could be wrong. So in that sense, their relationship is "strong" because of blood-ties, but we all know that just being related by blood does not necessarily mean everything. They didn't have the proper amount of time to bond deeper to where it "should have" been - if they had grown up together. Though again, just speculations.
Like I said before, I'm not familiar with amnesia cases, but it typically seems to be more deep-rooted (if that's the right word to use). Like it takes a long while before patients recover? And it tends to be more gradual, something that happens with time. So yeah, the timing of that just seemed off to me. But otherwise, I really liked it. I liked how Jake would come visit her and he'd come through the back? Where he always spotted her window open and would "surprise" her that way. It just seemed really cute to me that he was always looking out for her like that.

Sarah/Cesar - Is that the photo album thing? Or is that after? haha, seriously... I know the general events but the order is lost. I need to rename it so I can read this properly =__=;;

Liza/Jacques - SOOO adorable! Doesn't he have such a cherubic face??
Yeah, given her life experiences, she was strong - especially with the decision she made to leave Jacques because of little Jacques. I guess it's not like a person has to ALWAYS be strong because there's always ups and downs in life. The important thing is how one deals with it and she definitely didn't wallow in self-pity or blame the world.
And yeah, I like how Jacques ended up being the love of her life too, even though she was so against the whole "falling in love again" thing. In that sense, it rings very "true" to me, because love isn't something to be controlled - just happens as it does.
Though... One question! Does it make sense to you why she apologized to him for "creating another you"? That part kind of throws me off... It seemed like Jacques was coming to terms with the revelation, but then she starts crying and apologizes... Probably missing a good chunk of dialogue with that scene?

haha~ It does sound like it should be a word! "Relatable" is a word, so why can't I just throw "un" in front of it to make it "not relatable"? Razz

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://mikarysa.livejournal.com/
Nathye
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 296
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : my home xD

PostSubject: Something from the Heart and more ^^   Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:57 am

Hey guys did you see this week release Something from the Heart? I liked it but didn't love I mean there are so many HQ where the male character misjudges the female and everything... And now it's also popular having the dad sick and at the same time wanting his child to get married to someone that they know... so basically it was nice but there are so many similar things that it doesn't make really appreciate this one... Razz

_________________

Sarah/Cesar I really hated him from the begging till almost the end (I don't know the reason myself) and for that reason I really didn't like to read that one -.-'

aerysa wrote:
Though... One question! Does it make sense to you why she apologized to him for "creating another you"? That part kind of throws me off... It seemed like Jacques was coming to terms with the revelation, but then she starts crying and apologizes... Probably missing a good chunk of dialogue with that scene?

As for Liza/Jacques well I loved it... It was so adorable and sweet (not so sweet) and I have to agree with aerysa there seems to be missing some dialogue 'cause he changes and I don't really understand why... apart from that I really love it the ending when he takes his son to the party and it's announced that they are going to get married and that the already have a son together Very Happy

_________________
No matter how DARK the night, somehow the SUN rises once again and all the shadows are chased away
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member
avatar

Posts : 466
Join date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:48 pm

Hmm, I was busy last week so now back to the discussions...

A husband to belong to
I didn't really like the flow of the story, most likely because of the amnesia thing. True they needed something to move the story along but like what blesses and aerysa said, the about face in which Jaycee had behaved and then remembered was a bit of a turn off for me.

The Italian's secret son
I kinda liked this one. What Sarah did wasn't right (hiding here pregnancy and Johnny's birth) but she really did love Cesar and she decided to do what she thought was right for him. In a way she was supporting his career. And possibly, she was insecure in thinking that Cesar would leave her when he knew that she was pregnant.

Love child
Also another cute story, but what I couldn't stand was that the relationship between the two of them had been only physical (he doesn't know she has a brother? they don't talk?) But yes, young Jacques is really adorable.

Something from the heart
Sweet. I liked the art style and story wise, while a bit cliched was nicely executed. The flow made sense but I'm still wondering how he ended up in bed without his clothes in the first place...

P.S.
About the education system, my country's system is a bit different is a sense that:
Standard 1-6 (primary education, compulsory)
Form 1-5 (secondary education, compulsory)
lower 6 and upper 6 (secondary education, optional. equivalent to a diploma/ foundation in college or university) then we can proceed to degree level courses in University or College.
Sorry for going off topic again... Wink
Back to top Go down
blesses
Not So New
Not So New


Posts : 136
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : USA

PostSubject: Something From the Heart   Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:34 pm

I agree with Silvery and Nathye. This week's HQ was pretty cliche. Childhood friends/not blood related siblings and somehow it almost always ends up with the guy misunderstanding the girl. BUT lust/love overwhelms the two and everything is fine and dandy. But it's only human I guess to have doubts. But to trust, it would have saved them a lot of trouble. Then again the story would be out the window.

I was so annoyed by the constant cynicism by Morgan to Leigh.....even though he was lusting for her...which kind of makes him a hypocrite too, does it?

Yeah...wasn't such a great release this week. But the ending was cute, curtain rings. Haha.

Nathye wrote:
Hey guys did you see this week release Something from the Heart? I liked it but didn't love I mean there are so many HQ where the male character misjudges the female and everything... And now it's also popular having the dad sick and at the same time wanting his child to get married to someone that they know... so basically it was nice but there are so many similar things that it doesn't make really appreciate this one... Razz

I agree that the father was a nice light to this HQ. Such a sweet man.

Speaking of parents, I'm happy that the mother didn't make a big deal out of not getting much of the inheritance when her husband died (guess that means she did love him). Even though she's a cougar....I thought she was pretty cool for admitting that she is one and that her daughter has nothing to do with what she does for her own enjoyment as a cougar. She wasn't as sly of a woman as another mother that I recall from another HQ, I think it's called Mistress Paid and Bought For?

silvery wrote:
Something from the heart
Sweet. I liked the art style and story wise, while a bit cliched was nicely executed. The flow made sense but I'm still wondering how he ended up in bed without his clothes in the first place...

For me, the flow was okay I guess. But it was so cliche, I couldn't help constantly face-palming myself. Lol I wonder how he ended up in bed too. It seriously is a "what the heck happened" moment. Guess we'll never know for sure though (unless we read the actual HQ novel that is).

*Following are responses to posts but I thought they were a little too long so I put them in spoiler tags and they aren't related to what my post's topic title is.

@aerysa
Spoiler:
 

@Nathye
Spoiler:
 

@silvery
Spoiler:
 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   

Back to top Go down
 
General HQ thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 14Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next
 Similar topics
-
» PokéShipping (Ash x Misty) General Discussion Thread
» Oh! My Goddess! aka Ā Megami-sama general discussion thread
» NR2003 General Discussion Thread
» S3 Ep7 General discussion thread
» General Glee Discussion Thread--Part 6

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Shojo Manhwa Scans :: DISCUSSIONS :: Projects-
Jump to: