Shojo Manhwa Scans

Download Scanlations from SMScans Here
 
BlogHomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 General HQ thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
AuthorMessage
blesses
Not So New
Not So New


Posts : 136
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : USA

PostSubject: General HQ thread   Mon May 07, 2012 8:19 am

First topic message reminder :

INTRODUCTION--May 6, 2012
Dear Members,

Spoiler:
 
READ READ READ READ READ!!
Seriously, READ IT. Especially 1,5, and 6

RULES OF DISCUSSION
These rules were put together by the current members of the discussion at that time: aerysa, Nathye, silvery, and blesses (me).
Last Edited:9th of June,2012
Spoiler:
 

MINI STATUS UPDATES:

OCTOBER 13, 2012
Hi guys,
I haven't been very available for discussion and it seems like no one else is too....I don't know where this is going but I'll be checking in every so often to see if people want to keep discussion. Maybe it's because summer is over so everyone's just going about their busy lives. I know I am but I'll still keep checking in.

Best,
Blesses


CURRENT SUGGESTED HQ DISCUSSION
Italian Playboy's Secret Son/Ososugita Saikai
START DATE: 17th of September, 2012 at 12:00AM/00:00 UTC+00:00
END: 30th of September 2012 at 11:59PM/23:59 UTC+00:00
SCANLATOR: SHOJO MANHWA SCANS
FORUM LINK: http://smscans.fanbb.net/t54-italian-playboy-s-secret-son

NEW RELEASE DISCUSSION
The Desert Lord's Baby
START DATE: 24th of September, 2012
END: 30th of September 2012 at 11:59PM UTC+00:00



Last edited by blesses on Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:13 pm; edited 87 times in total
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
blesses
Not So New
Not So New


Posts : 136
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:48 pm

The Marine and the Princess
aerysa wrote:

@blesses -
Definitely agreed that it was too rush. It's weird because sometimes I don't have an issue with the short time frame, but sometimes I do. It really depends on the situation(s). I think this story had a good starting point, but it was too rushed that things didn't seem so natural.

As for the clothes issue... Lol, maybe. Though really, he SNUCK INTO the hotel, so it's kind of hard to imagine him carrying a lot of stuff around... Or maaaybe, he's just THAT good... That he can bring an entire bag of stuff with him and still not be noticed Laughing It just seemed strange to me.

Yeah, I get what you mean. Sometimes it's ok when the time frame isn't long but I think, at least for me, it just really depends on how believable the stories are that makes them good. Either that or they'd have to be complete fantasy/very little relevance to the real world. But yes, when the river doesn't flow, my boat can't float =) figuratively of course.

And the clothes, well I don't think it's odd but it's probably b/c where ever I go, I bring a bag for whatever the occasion is for things that I will likely need (wallet, phone, tissues, mp3, etc) But yeah I guess it might be weird...Though I'm thinking that he didn't actually have to sneak in since Vanessa's father did ask him to be her bodyguard.

military force choice---I think you guys are really over thinking it. And yes, all of the forces are trained in some way for combat however each division specializes in their own way.

the title of the story---what aerysa says is true but when i think about this story itself, the title is perfect. Not very unique, just states the obvious. For me, this title and the story is like one of those things where it exists but one goes "so what if it exists."

I'm not sure if marine is distinctly american but all i do know is that america has a lot of different military forces (is that the right word...forces?) Have a lot....of different ones....I asked my brother one time and he started listing them...

Reporting---I didn't think it would be as simple as time and actions. I think there'd be things going into more details almost stalker-ish but....then again...why would someone even take the time to actually report all of that let alone someone who's been trained in combat....
Back to top Go down
Celestine
Elite Member
Elite Member


Posts : 63
Join date : 2012-03-29

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:03 pm

Here's my review for :

Daniel and Daughter

1. I liked it but it doesn't really ring for romance to me. I liked the
story because it wasn't your usual there was pretty much a "story" going
on that I liked.

2. The art was nice not my favorite. The characters were well developed.
I thought Mark was a bit immature for being older then Pheobe and Pheobe
herself just didn't seem like your average 15-16yr old. I guess that's
thanks to Daniel her father. The funny thing is I think Sonia and Phoebe
were more of the adults in this story then the older characters. I liked
Sonia such a sweet girl. My fav part was when Daniel was telling about
Mark being stuck on the ferry.
Daniel ask Lee to come over because of Mark mistake and then telling Lee
he knows Mark is crushing on his daughter.
The scene he told her that he is an adult and wouldn't rush her.
I like the mother daughter scene how Sonia tells her mother to buy her
snacks for summer camp.

3. Disliked the scene where Daniel goes overboard and says to Lee about
her smart choice she made when she was 16. When that was the very thing
he complimented her on and said which is why he liked her in the first
place. I kinda feel he was just trying to catch Lee's attention in any
way he could at that time. So he contradicted himself.
Mark acts like he's the one that's 15 instead of Phoebe and takes off
with her to Scotland. I think Daniel should have hit him because he would
have deserved it.
The ending they should have had Sonia with them. Poor Sonia.

4. I was confused as to why Daniel kept throwing out there that he would
marry Lee whenever he could when he didn't trust her decisions. Kinda
seemed like he was just amusing her or something until they resolved
things when he was thinking more logically.

Overall it was an interesting story to read. I'd probably read it again
some other time as one of those stories you can't forget about.

I forgot we were to study The Marine and The Princess, so I'll have to do that next.

1. Didn't like it.
2. I agree with blesses It lacked something. It was too rushed. Couldn't really feel the love between them. Probably the only part I liked was Vanessa relationship with her father and sister. Also her PA. I liked how understanding her father was when he spoke to her about not marrying Sebastian. Prudence is great friend saying she'd kill Mark Lol.
3. Just wasn't really into the story. But I found it ridiculous that she took Mark at his word when he came into her room. She didn't check with Prudence. So unrealistic. Come on she's a princess.
4. n/a
Back to top Go down
blesses
Not So New
Not So New


Posts : 136
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:56 pm

Daniel and Daughter
Here's my review. will respond to others about this HQ later.
Spoiler:
 
Back to top Go down
swedesamurai
Elite Member
Elite Member
avatar

Posts : 222
Join date : 2012-04-14
Age : 60
Location : Just West of the Equator

PostSubject: The Marine and the Princess   Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:32 am

Title of Story: The Marine & The Princess



1) What I Love/Hate/Like/Dislike/Neutral about the story
I am Luke Warm to it.
Spoiler:
 
2) Explain reasons for #1. (Elaborate!)
Spoiler:
 
3) Moments that I liked and why.
Spoiler:
 

4) Moments that I disliked and why.
Spoiler:
 
5) Things that I am confused about.
Spoiler:
 
6) Other comments that don't fall into categories above.
Spoiler:
 



Back to top Go down
Celestine
Elite Member
Elite Member


Posts : 63
Join date : 2012-03-29

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:10 pm

Yoshi wrote:
The Marine and the Princess

Spoiler:
 

Daniel and Daughter
Spoiler:
 

@blesses the download link was in the old forum... so the link to mediafire was not good enough than next time I post the old forum link, if the HQ was from sms and is not in this forum....

I agree Sonia should of been at the wedding or they should done another one where she would be in it.

swedesamurai right Marine corp profile seemed wrong and the story didn't flow correctly hard to tell if 1 day had passed or by the week.

@blesses : I know what you mean for Daniel and Daughter good story so didn't really want to take notes since it was a well-rounded story. But wanted to point out the good points.

Back to top Go down
blesses
Not So New
Not So New


Posts : 136
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:06 pm

Daniel and Daughter

response to ppl's reviews:

@Yoshi
Quote :
2. The up and downs were not so good. And then as Phoebe said... I will be a model and she is so adultlike but then she goes with her boyfriend to marry him... that was somehow very childish.. Her boyfriend himself was childish too... The bride brings the money and he is so against it... the money must come from me... i am a man and i must financially build all for us... What a time-.-
Well despite Pheobe being adultlike, it doesn't mean her mentality is that of an adult. I think that's what a lot of people forget when they see children who appear or act adultlike. They forget that they are still kids despite that appearance or act. Pheobe is only 15. Though, pursuing a career in professional modeling, I guess I can agree that she should have been prepared to act more like an adult. However...I think that because the career was practically handed to her, not having to struggle, she couldn't get it in her head to do that (act more like an adult/professional)

Also for the brother of Lee, I agree that he was childish. However, for the bride to bring the money....I'm not sure about other cultures but it seems like in America, it's always the bride and her family who pays for the wedding which I consider unfair since a marriage consists of two people so costs should be equally shared. Anyways....what I thought was childish was how the brother didn't learn a thing from his sister Lee about impulsive marriages and he's supposed to be older than Pheobe!

@Celestine
Quote :
Pheobe herself just didn't seem like your average 15-16yr old.

Well...I think Pheobe is what a 15-16 year old would appear to be if she was raised in a pretty good household that was pretty wealthy. Her mentality is very much like an average 15-16 year old in her position though.

Quote :
I was confused as to why Daniel kept throwing out there that he would marry Lee whenever he could when he didn't trust her decisions. Kinda seemed like he was just amusing her or something until they resolved things when he was thinking more logically.
I think the difference is in how he felt in those moments. When he asks Lee to marry him, he's addressing her as a man however when he didn't trust her so much, he was in father mode, trying to protect his daughter.

The Marine and the Princess
I think most of us can agree that the story wasn't so good and the story wasn't flowing well.
Back to top Go down
swedesamurai
Elite Member
Elite Member
avatar

Posts : 222
Join date : 2012-04-14
Age : 60
Location : Just West of the Equator

PostSubject: Daniel and Daughter   Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:41 pm

Title of Story: Daniel and Daughter



1) What I Love/Hate/Like/Dislike/Neutral about the story
I Liked it
Spoiler:
 
2) Explain reasons for #1. (Elaborate!)
Spoiler:
 
3) Moments that I liked and why.
Spoiler:
 
4) Moments that I disliked and why.
Spoiler:
 
5) Things that I am confused about.
Spoiler:
 
6) Other comments that don't fall into categories above.
Spoiler:
 



Back to top Go down
Celestine
Elite Member
Elite Member


Posts : 63
Join date : 2012-03-29

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:15 am

Yoshi wrote:
The Marine and the Princess

Spoiler:
 

Daniel and Daughter
Spoiler:
 

@blesses the download link was in the old forum... so the link to mediafire was not good enough than next time I post the old forum link, if the HQ was from sms and is not in this forum....

I forgot to mention Yoshi I have to disagree on saying your example of Phoebe being childish because she ran off with Mark to Scotland. I would say it was more of a desperation act of Phoebe because she loves him. It wouldn't be fair to say because "she's a teen oh she ran off with him to get married." People can do stupid and or impulsive things when their in love and think their going to lose their partner.

Possibly more so that make her remember she is a teen is when she tried to get emancipated and join the agency without trying to discuss it with her father first because she knew he was against her joining one and becoming a model. But she made the mature decision when Lee told her to hear her father out and discuss it with him.
Back to top Go down
blesses
Not So New
Not So New


Posts : 136
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:52 am

1. ANY LAST MINUTE COMMENTS ABOUT DANIEL AND DAUGHTER AND THE MARINE AND THE PRINCESS, PLEASE SPEAK BEFORE THE 20TH. (ONLY COMMENTS ABOUT AGREEMENTS/DISAGREEMENTS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S REVIEWS, NO POSTING NEW REVIEWS)

2. DISCUSSION OF NEW TOPICS WILL COMMENCE.

Back to top Go down
aerysa
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 600
Join date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:46 am

!!! I didn't even get a chance to review my own HQ choice !!! lol!

Whatever... I didn't have anything I particularly wanted to say anyways.

The Patient Nurse

1) Hated it
2) Having read the novel, I already disliked it and I think they did a poor job of translating it into a manga. The flow was completely choppy like they tried to take every single scene and mash it into the short length available. None of the characters were particularly likeable, especially how Ramon had his "change of heart" afterward - after being a complete ass towards Noreen for 2+ years... Noreen reminds me too much of my friend (which came up in the No Competition discussion), so it makes it even more heartbreaking...
3) I didn't like much, but I love how the kitty's name is Mosquito XD
4) Pretty much everything... ha!
5) N/A
6) In the first couple chapters, the issue with her heart being translated as "broken" was amusing to me for some reason... Not that I was unsympathetic with her condition, but just how the reading of the text seemed. (Totally random comment, I know Rolling Eyes )

Oh, and I don't think this came across in the manga, but the reason why he was "faithful" to his marriage to Isadora was his religion. (They discuss their religious background, Catholic/Protestant in the book.) So basically, it was "marriage for life" regardless since he doesn't "believe" in divorcing his wife.

Anyways, I think it's rather... Sad/pathetic that for him to be religious in that sense, that he could be THAT convicted on one aspect of life, yet he didn't retain anything about his religion in which he should be treat people kindly and what not... Like just because she tempts your heart and you're a married man, that gives you a right to treat her like garbage?! Evil or Very Mad

A lot of aspects just "didn't work" for me in this story... So yeah.

The Wedding in White

Haven't read it yet, so I'll be back with my review afterwards!

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://mikarysa.livejournal.com/
blesses
Not So New
Not So New


Posts : 136
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:43 pm

REVIEW ONLY. WILL RESPOND LATER TO REVIEWS
The Patient Nurse
Need to reread the whole thing together. Will post review later.

The Wedding in White
1. Like-ish
2. It was actually a pretty choppy story. However, I liked the relationship between Natalie and Mackenzie. The way they got along well like good friends. But I thought it was somewhat weird whenever Natalie brought up the "teaching." I knew what it meant but it didn't sound right and to me, it made her courageous and shameless every time she brought it up. The scenes weren't transitioning well either until the end at the hospital scene where the story flowed better. Also, there were a lot of things I thought were kind of confusing/weird/not right.
3.Likes—
Spoiler:
 
4.Dislikes—
Spoiler:
 
5. (somewhat) Confusing stuff....this is the first time I’ve questioned a lot of things about an HQ…kind of over analyzed x.x
Spoiler:
 
6. Etc things—
Spoiler:
 
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member
avatar

Posts : 466
Join date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:54 pm

^^; sorry, just came back from a long weekend... my reviews as per below:

Wedding in white
Spoiler:
 

Response
I didn't really analyze the story but yeah, the way McKenzie drank like that just to forget his grief was a little over the top

I think there was a huge time frame, but we don't know how many years. the manga doesn't say either but you can feel that a lot of time has flown. after all, she got her teaching license, and her aunt died. Can't all happen in a week...

edit* after what blesses said about him adjusting to his condition, I reread the manga again. You could probably read and do some office work but riding and driving are not possible! You can't judge the depth and distance with just one eye. So that is one very illogical part of the story for me...

The Patient Nurse
Spoiler:
 

Responses

After reading what aerysa said, it seems to make more sense about Ramon staying in that sham of a marriage, but still, it feels weird.
Back to top Go down
Celestine
Elite Member
Elite Member


Posts : 63
Join date : 2012-03-29

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:52 pm

aerysa wrote:
!!! I didn't even get a chance to review my own HQ choice !!! lol!

Whatever... I didn't have anything I particularly wanted to say anyways.

The Patient Nurse

1) Hated it
2) Having read the novel, I already disliked it and I think they did a poor job of translating it into a manga. The flow was completely choppy like they tried to take every single scene and mash it into the short length available. None of the characters were particularly likeable, especially how Ramon had his "change of heart" afterward - after being a complete ass towards Noreen for 2+ years... Noreen reminds me too much of my friend (which came up in the No Competition discussion), so it makes it even more heartbreaking...
3) I didn't like much, but I love how the kitty's name is Mosquito XD
4) Pretty much everything... ha!
5) N/A
6) In the first couple chapters, the issue with her heart being translated as "broken" was amusing to me for some reason... Not that I was unsympathetic with her condition, but just how the reading of the text seemed. (Totally random comment, I know Rolling Eyes )

Oh, and I don't think this came across in the manga, but the reason why he was "faithful" to his marriage to Isadora was his religion. (They discuss their religious background, Catholic/Protestant in the book.) So basically, it was "marriage for life" regardless since he doesn't "believe" in divorcing his wife.

Anyways, I think it's rather... Sad/pathetic that for him to be religious in that sense, that he could be THAT convicted on one aspect of life, yet he didn't retain anything about his religion in which he should be treat people kindly and what not... Like just because she tempts your heart and you're a married man, that gives you a right to treat her like garbage?! Evil or Very Mad

A lot of aspects just "didn't work" for me in this story... So yeah.

The Wedding in White

Haven't read it yet, so I'll be back with my review afterwards!

I agree with him being a jerk for 2yrs. Noreen family awful to her, her cousin treated her like a servant and her aunt and uncle didn't think anything of it when she was treated as one when she came out of the kitchen.

Plus Ramon certain hitting on her a bit when he first saw her in the kitchen. Then became too pushy when he feeling guilty.

Besides Brad being a good friend to Noreen and the kitty Mosquito cat being such a cutie.
There isn't much else to say.
Didn't feel need to note anything down.

Back to top Go down
blesses
Not So New
Not So New


Posts : 136
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:47 pm

The Patient Nurse
Finally found time to read it all again and review. Here you go---
1. Not so great…leaning dislike
2. It wasn't so great because….Ramon was a huge jerk =/ Noreen was a nice character, sweet girl who had dreams of helping people but it was pitiful how she was treated..tsk tsk. Isadora turned out as much of a woman that I thought she'd be (beginning kind of threw me off but it was an AH-HA! moment at the end). The story itself was nyehhh but it's just the things that happened, how the characters reacted and took action really put me off...didn't like Ramon....
"3. Likes--
>Brad, side character but he was pretty much the only human character that I really liked.
>The kitty was just so adorable. Could just eat it up :3 so cuuute. But a name like mosquito for a kitty so cute like that….mmm it's kind of cute but it has a negative connotation to it….
>Despite not being a great guy, I appreciated Ramon's devotion to being a great doctor who cares for his patients and saving peoples' lives.
>I admit, I was a bit moved when Ramon said that seeing Noreen in the apron, he saw their children. But seriously...if you have that kind of vision, it's like your heart is telling you she's the one.
>Although it wasn't great, I liked how the ending was about starting a family. It wasn't a wedding and it wasn't about finally being together despite the sexual tension. There was a hope of starting a family yet there wasn't a definite promise of eternal commitment.
>Noreen is sweet and she's a great nurse and human being. Though the web she was entangled in and how she dealt with it wasn't as good as she could have resolved it...
4. Dislikes--
Spoiler:
 
5. Confused
What kind of EMT would have a busy tone for ambulances? What the heck is up with that? Really not safe…….I don't know about other countries but isn't that what volunteer emergency call receivers are for? So that there is alwyas someone available to answer the call.
6. Other
>I thought it was funny when the image of Noreen has an "OH MY GOSH" expression as a reaction to Ramon calling her a working mouse. Overreaction haha
>As for the work that was done for this project. It'll give it an okay. The use of language wasn't at it's best. Although manga is also about the graphic, precision of language is important when telling a story.
Back to top Go down
blesses
Not So New
Not So New


Posts : 136
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:10 pm

The Patient Nurse
@aerysa
Quote :

Oh, and I don't think this came across in the manga, but the reason why he was "faithful" to his marriage to Isadora was his religion. (They discuss their religious background, Catholic/Protestant in the book.) So basically, it was "marriage for life" regardless since he doesn't "believe" in divorcing his wife.

Anyways, I think it's rather... Sad/pathetic that for him to be religious in that sense, that he could be THAT convicted on one aspect of life, yet he didn't retain anything about his religion in which he should be treat people kindly and what not... Like just because she tempts your heart and you're a married man, that gives you a right to treat her like garbage?! Evil or Very Mad

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the clarification. I was so confused about that but I thought maybe he didn't know about her cheating until the moment that neared her death. But yeah...Catholics are really strict about marriage. It's something that I respect about the religion though, devotion to one's spouse when vowing in the house of god. I don't think protestants are though because Protestant was a religion that was created b/c Henry VIII did break away from the catholic church just so he could get a woman to bear him a male heir because his first wife couldn't and he couldn't divorce her under catholic religion. However whenever the women failed to give birth to a male/annoyed him, he's thereafter behead them. (poor women). =/ But enough with the history lesson. anyways...Catholics are a strict people/religion.

As for his kindness...though he seems to have been a great doctor and cared a lot for his patients yet a poor judge of character personally.
Back to top Go down
aerysa
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 600
Join date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:16 pm

The Patient Nurse

blesses wrote:

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the clarification. I was so confused about that but I thought maybe he didn't know about her cheating until the moment that neared her death. But yeah...Catholics are really strict about marriage. It's something that I respect about the religion though, devotion to one's spouse when vowing in the house of god. I don't think protestants are though because Protestant was a religion that was created b/c Henry VIII did break away from the catholic church just so he could get a woman to bear him a male heir because his first wife couldn't and he couldn't divorce her under catholic religion. However whenever the women failed to give birth to a male/annoyed him, he's thereafter behead them. (poor women). =/ But enough with the history lesson. anyways...Catholics are a strict people/religion.

As for his kindness...though he seems to have been a great doctor and cared a lot for his patients yet a poor judge of character personally.
Yeah, he was Catholic and Noreen was Protestant. While it's all good to be devoted to your spouse in that sense, I'm sure that's not the only thing the religion teaches you about being a person. It's so like... Hypocritical... That he's kind and helpful to everyone else, but is such an ass towards Noreen just because he's feeling guilty about his own feelings. It's not like she even came onto him or ANYTHING. All the more reason why I didn't like him.

The Wedding in White

Spoiler:
 

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://mikarysa.livejournal.com/
swedesamurai
Elite Member
Elite Member
avatar

Posts : 222
Join date : 2012-04-14
Age : 60
Location : Just West of the Equator

PostSubject: The Patient Nurse   Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:00 am

Title of Story: The Patient Nurse



1) What I Love/Hate/Like/Dislike/Neutral about the story
I Liked it....despite items in paragraph 4, 5, and 6 below:
2) Explain reasons for #1. (Elaborate!)
Spoiler:
 
3) Moments that I liked and why.
Spoiler:
 
4) Moments that I disliked and why.
Spoiler:
 
5) Things that I am confused about.
Spoiler:
 
6) Other comments that don't fall into categories above.
Spoiler:
 



Back to top Go down
swedesamurai
Elite Member
Elite Member
avatar

Posts : 222
Join date : 2012-04-14
Age : 60
Location : Just West of the Equator

PostSubject: Wedding in White-(Junpaku no Wedding)   Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:55 am

Title of Story: Wedding in White-(Junpaku no Wedding)



1) What I Love/Hate/Like/Dislike/Neutral about the story
I liked it.
2) Explain reasons for #1. (Elaborate!)
Spoiler:
 
3) Moments that I liked and why.
Spoiler:
 
4) Moments that I disliked and why.
Spoiler:
 
5) Things that I am confused about.
Spoiler:
 
6) Other comments that don't fall into categories above.
Spoiler:
 



Back to top Go down
aerysa
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 600
Join date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:49 am

The Patient Nurse

@swedesamurai -

You should definitely read the original for The Patient Nurse! haha, I didn't like it because of all the melodramatics, but if you like that stuff (which you already said you do), you'll like the book. It presents everything WAAAY better and you get more background on well, everything. It actually starts out with more of a character introduction of Ramon. I can't remember correctly or not, but I think the flow order was different too. All I know is that each scene was properly developed, a feel we definitely miss in the manga.

Agreed about the "seeing our children in your eyes" line. It's sappy, but oh-so-sweet.

But overall, I'm going to agree to disagree since we have different tastes in books we like Razz


The Wedding in White

@swedesamurai -

Mackenzie definitely has his disappointing moments, but overall he came through when it was absolutely necessary. And though there were some "bad" characters (in terms of personality), there were no truly evil characters. They all changed for the better at the end - the ones who matter.

swedesamurai wrote:
Why are the heroines in so many Harlequins so forgiving. Hear is Natalie after finding out that Mackenzie was having an affair with Clair. So She accepts it and still hopes. The women that I knew would never forgive something like that. But I come from a different time line.
In no way was Mackenzie having an "affair" with Clair. That implies that he was together with Natalie already, which he wasn't. A promise made 5 years ago which he did not even act out on doesn't mean that they're "together". Clair was his girlfriend AT that time.

It hardly has anything to do with being forgiving or unforgiving. That's like expecting every man to be a saint (with no dating background/sexual experience PERIOD) before coming together with his true love. Making empty promises is one thing (which is sleazy yes), but having an AFFAIR (as you called it, which it isn't even) is something totally different.

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://mikarysa.livejournal.com/
blesses
Not So New
Not So New


Posts : 136
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:49 pm

The Patient Nurse
@aerysa
Quote :
Yeah, he was Catholic and Noreen was Protestant. While it's all good to be devoted to your spouse in that sense, I'm sure that's not the only thing the religion teaches you about being a person. It's so like... Hypocritical... That he's kind and helpful to everyone else, but is such an ass towards Noreen just because he's feeling guilty about his own feelings. It's not like she even came onto him or ANYTHING. All the more reason why I didn't like him.
"

well technically it's not a teaching, it's more like a custom/belief of catholics to remain devoted to one's spouse or at least that's how i think of it, not that I'm religious or anything...(i'm agnostic theist=believe in some sort of god-like being but not belonging to a particular religion) That has NOTHING to do with "love your neighbor" though yes, religion says followers should do that but man are flawed therefore religion created by man is flawed. Despite having hating him while reading the HQ, when I look at it now with a calm mind and more rational, i think his reaction is very human. it's not strange for people to be kind to others but a devil to another. it's how the world is =/

also about your comment on Vivian's hair for Wedding in White, I agree. I couldn't help but notice her strange curls during the wedding haha xD

OFF TOPIC (extracted from Wedding in White)

@swedesamurai
Quote :
I like mostly the quality of work that SMS does, but because this manga Harlequin is so complicated errors in English really stick out. Tense and Case errors disturb the flow of the story especially when it is jumping around in time so much. A native speaker should QC it to check on tense and agreement issues. This I think more than anything would have made the complicated presentation by the Mangaka a little easier to swallow. Don't get me wrong I really appreciate the SMS crew for doing this Harlequin, and have little right in criticising their work; but QC it with a person who knows English well. Such as the use of contractions, people don't usually talk to friends saying I am .....(something); by not using contractions it makes it too formal. That destroys the tone of conversations. Also Japanese can omit an Direct or indirect object in a sentence when it's understood what it is. I reckon Korean is the same because when Ramon gives Noreen the Kitten he says ""Here, I lend you."" Doesn't work in English ...Should be ""I'll lend him(her or it) to you."" There were so many of things not right that after 14 screen shots I quit. I'm no QCer...Don't have the time or the temperament for it.

Much agreed about that. In my opinion, anyone can proofread amateurly but if a proofreader of a scanlating group isn't native to the english language or uses it often enough to be able to speak with precision (informal and formal) then it's useless to recruit that person. Simply knowing basic grammar isn't good enough. I often notice this when I read manga from groups that are just starting out. They recruit anyone using a test that's so easy to spot mistakes. Oops I realize I sound kind of....x.x Honest opinion here. but with sms, I don't understand why there were so many mistakes. Other mangas they've translated don't have as many errors.
Back to top Go down
aerysa
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 600
Join date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:40 am

Off-Topic

blesses wrote:
Much agreed about that. In my opinion, anyone can proofread amateurly but if a proofreader of a scanlating group isn't native to the english language or uses it often enough to be able to speak with precision (informal and formal) then it's useless to recruit that person. Simply knowing basic grammar isn't good enough. I often notice this when I read manga from groups that are just starting out. They recruit anyone using a test that's so easy to spot mistakes. Oops I realize I sound kind of....x.x Honest opinion here. but with sms, I don't understand why there were so many mistakes. Other mangas they've translated don't have as many errors.
Maybe it just depends on who the QCer is because some of them they do a really good job on. But other times, it's awkward since the wording is weird. Could be either the translator or the QCer. Sometimes it's just the manga itself too, that it's difficult to translate.

Anyways, what's happening now? I didn't want to say anything about those other ones since it's technically finished with our typical 1-week time frame.

There is a "new HQ" for discussion, but not sure about the "old HQ" discussion section. Updates?

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://mikarysa.livejournal.com/
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member
avatar

Posts : 466
Join date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:29 pm

aerysa wrote:


Anyways, what's happening now? I didn't want to say anything about those other ones since it's technically finished with our typical 1-week time frame.

There is a "new HQ" for discussion, but not sure about the "old HQ" discussion section. Updates?

Was wondering about that... most likely we start on the new one first and decide on the old one later... Seems like many of us are busy anyway...
Back to top Go down
blesses
Not So New
Not So New


Posts : 136
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:31 pm

Off-Topic
aerysa wrote:

Maybe it just depends on who the QCer is because some of them they do a really good job on. But other times, it's awkward since the wording is weird. Could be either the translator or the QCer. Sometimes it's just the manga itself too, that it's difficult to translate.

I disagree actually....a QCer should be native or at least extremely familiar in the english language in order to easily catch mistakes and awkward wording. I'm a proofreader and a QCer for several scanlator groups (do not wish to disclose the names since I use an alias) and whenever there is strange wording, I change it so it'll make sense or I ask the translator to clarify what is meant by the awkward wording and afterwards I do my best to arrange a new sentence or phrase. People appreciate precision of language when reading a good story after all it's language that carries a good story more than the images.


Ooops sorry. Got caught up in my volunteer stuff...busy since the NPO I'm volunteering for this summer has an award ceremony soon with 2000 invitations that need to get out asap @x@ The week passes so quickly....

Um....I'll post up the new HQ
I'm considering maybe waiting on an old HQ to discuss. Unless you guys don't mind starting late on that. The next person to choose would be swedesamurai.


DISCUSSION FOR NEW HQ: Marriage Wanted BEGINS
Back to top Go down
blesses
Not So New
Not So New


Posts : 136
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:50 pm

Here's my review. Looking forward to everyone else's.

Marriage Wanted
1. Like
2. At the beginning, I was kind of a little skeptical because this story only to maybe over a week or two. But there were moments that I thought were great and the story wasn't all that bad either. It's one of those impulsive marriage stories that kind of work out well. Dash turned out to be a pretty good guy. Savannah's complex over her limp was a little too much and she turned out to be less stable emotionally than she first appeared to be. But I thought the story worked out pretty well in the end.
3. Likes
Spoiler:
 
4. Dislikes
Spoiler:
 
5. Confusing (none)
6. ETC
Spoiler:
 
Back to top Go down
swedesamurai
Elite Member
Elite Member
avatar

Posts : 222
Join date : 2012-04-14
Age : 60
Location : Just West of the Equator

PostSubject: Next Old   Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:39 pm

Sorry I guess I was sleeping or something; I always check the last post in this thread and seldom look at the top- but I didn't see that I was supposed to pick the next Old HQ Selection SO here it is Princess of Convenience (ICHIYA DAKE NO PRINCESS).
It has Three Chapters...It's a pretty straight forward one easy to review.

You can find it on Line at:
Here is the Description found on Manga Fox:
From Shojo Manhwa Scans
(Funny both Old Site and New Site do not have a description of this)
In order to buy the highest quality yarn, fashion designer Jessica travels to the Principality of Alp'Azuri in Europe. While admiring the picture-perfect beautiful landscapes on a drive through the country, an out-of-control car smashes into Jessica's car at full speed and knocks her out! When she regains consciousness, she finds herself at the royal palace. Alp'Azuri's Prince Raoul's fiancee died in that crash. Jessica blames herself for her death, but Raoul firmly asserts that it is not her fault...


Read Online

Here are the Media Fire Download links for the Chapters:
Princess of Convenience: Chapter 01
Princess of Convenience: Chapter 02
Princess of Convenience: Chapter 03


Last edited by swedesamurai on Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Messed Up Link Corrected)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   

Back to top Go down
 
General HQ thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 11 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Similar topics
-
» PokéShipping (Ash x Misty) General Discussion Thread
» Oh! My Goddess! aka Ā Megami-sama general discussion thread
» NR2003 General Discussion Thread
» General Glee Discussion Thread--Part 6
» The Stacy Keibler general thread - part four

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Shojo Manhwa Scans :: DISCUSSIONS :: Projects-
Jump to: