PostSubject: General HQ thread   Mon May 07, 2012 8:19 am

First topic message reminder :

INTRODUCTION--May 6, 2012
Dear Members,

Spoiler:

READ READ READ READ READ!!
Seriously, READ IT. Especially 1,5, and 6

RULES OF DISCUSSION
These rules were put together by the current members of the discussion at that time: aerysa, Nathye, silvery, and blesses (me).
Last Edited:9th of June,2012
Spoiler:

MINI STATUS UPDATES:

OCTOBER 13, 2012
Hi guys,
I haven't been very available for discussion and it seems like no one else is too....I don't know where this is going but I'll be checking in every so often to see if people want to keep discussion. Maybe it's because summer is over so everyone's just going about their busy lives. I know I am but I'll still keep checking in.

Best,
Blesses

CURRENT SUGGESTED HQ DISCUSSION
Italian Playboy's Secret Son/Ososugita Saikai
START DATE: 17th of September, 2012 at 12:00AM/00:00 UTC+00:00
END: 30th of September 2012 at 11:59PM/23:59 UTC+00:00
SCANLATOR: SHOJO MANHWA SCANS
FORUM LINK: http://smscans.fanbb.net/t54-italian-playboy-s-secret-son

NEW RELEASE DISCUSSION
The Desert Lord's Baby
START DATE: 24th of September, 2012
END: 30th of September 2012 at 11:59PM UTC+00:00

Last edited by blesses on Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:13 pm; edited 87 times in total
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
blesses
Not So New
Not So New

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:29 pm

aerysa wrote:

But potentially things to consider when answering...

1) Overall, did you love/hate/like/neutral the story? Comment on your overall opinion.
2) If you loved it, why? If you hated it, why? Explain a little more about your answer to #1.
3) Special moments that you liked?
4) Moments you didn't like?
5) Things that you felt were confusing?
Yeah these five questions pretty much sum up the basics of what is usually discussed.
For #1, I think it should just be love/hate/like/neutral b/c #2 is already asking to elaborate on #1.
#3 Can just be "moments that you liked"
#3-5 will all require an explanation
we should also put one last Q which would be >>6) Anything else?

So far no one is against the 1 week max for discussion of HQs
The 2 HQ maximum discussion, aerysa had the same idea as i did (1-new release 2-old HQ)

aerysa wrote:
Oh, and also if you could put the link to the topic that is picked when it's your turn! Either the thread for download here or if you know the link to an online reader. Add a little responsibility and make it easier for everyone else Wink
Agree, that's actually what I did if you looked at the first post under current HQ

I will post the HQ we are discussing at the top with the date we start discussing the HQ. But I think we need a set time zone to use too for when we start discussing b/c everyone is in a different timezone so for example when I post 8th of June 2012 for the DATE in the first post, that means 12am PST so that would mean discussion starts on the 8th of June 2012 at 12am PST.
What timezone should we use? Does anyone know what timezone SMS uses? We can just use their's.

Back to top Go down
Nathye

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:52 pm

silvery wrote:
(too long to quote aerysa. Just read her post Wink )

I think it's a very good idea. With just five reasons, the readers can dissect the story to their liking. And if they feel neutral to the story, they can just say so. And like was mentioned, 2 HQs max so that we don't confuse ourselves with the titles and storylines.

I also agree to the rotation system, since then everyone can feel involved. I only hope that since the person who chooses the story is also suggested to be the moderator doesn't feel for the story too much, she might not want to lead us back Wink

Hehe true true ^^ I also think that maybe we should find/compare the differences or connections between the new and old release. Apart from this well everything you guys said is fine for me...

I like the the 5 potentially things to consider when answering by aerysa and I also think the 6 (Anything else?) by blesses is important... Also I think one week is a good time line but if eventually we need more time for one HQ discussion we could then ask for more maybe?
I think we should also find a solution for new join members...

blesses wrote:
I will post the HQ we are discussing at the top with the date we start discussing the HQ. But I think we need a set time zone to use too for when we start discussing b/c everyone is in a different timezone so for example when I post 8th of June 2012 for the DATE in the first post, that means 12am PST so that would mean discussion starts on the 8th of June 2012 at 12am PST.
What timezone should we use? Does anyone know what timezone SMS uses? We can just use their's.

Well about the time zone I would like to request that when we start and finish a discussion to put a post saying start or finish bcs my time zone is different from yours and when I signed in on this forum I choose my time zone... so sometimes even if the time for you had already finish my would still go on... so you could put a post saying end for me to know Smile
Answering your question blesses I think you choose your time zone on the preferences in your profile (if I am not mistaken that is Question )

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:57 am

blesses wrote:
Yeah these five questions pretty much sum up the basics of what is usually discussed.
For #1, I think it should just be love/hate/like/neutral b/c #2 is already asking to elaborate on #1.
#3 Can just be "moments that you liked"
#3-5 will all require an explanation
we should also put one last Q which would be >>6) Anything else?
You can tweak the wording to however you feel fit. It doesn't have to be so formal as that. But if that helps in terms of keeping us on track, and putting in that in the first post. How about something like:

Quote :
Before joining in the discussion, please post your review to the current topics of discussion, as stated in the original post. Use the following outline:

Review Criteria

Title of Story
1) Love/Like/Neutral/Dislike/Hate the story - Choose one.
2) Explain reasons for #1.
3) Moments that you liked
4) Moments that you didn't like
5) Things that were confusing
6) Other comments that don't fall into categories above.

If you have nothing to say in particular for that category, just put "N/A" or "not applicable". For example, if you didn't find anything confusing, then use that to answer #5.

So for example, my review for Something from the Heart would look like this.

Something from the Heart
1) HATED IT! Evil or Very Mad
2) Morgan was too wishy-washy and an ass towards Leigh who refused to listen to reason. Leigh was too passive when the "incident" came up, not taking more initiative to correct Morgan's understanding of the situation.
3) Leigh's mother admitting that she takes what she wants without relying on anyone else.
4) Basically everything else
5) How Morgan could be in the library during the "incident" and still not notice what was going on between Leigh and the other jerkwad. Why he was sitting in the library alone in the dark to begin with.
6) Besides #3, the only other thing I liked was the artwork!

blesses wrote:
Agree, that's actually what I did if you looked at the first post under current HQ
Really? I didn't notice! Laughing But I was just thinking that especially since all these other topics came up and I had to go search for them. This way, everyone can participate easily after reading the story. Smile

blesses wrote:
In this way, you're the overall moderator for the thread since your post comes first, but I still think it's a good idea that other people get to choose the topics. There were actually quite a few released so far. Whether they want to pick one they love/hate it's up to that person. Completely random is a little... Too impersonal Razz

As for timezone, I believe Nathye is correct in saying the board is personalized for our own timezones. I'm not sure what the "default" is, but is that what you mean for which timezone?

I guess the most generic would be to use "UST + 00:00" which is the reference timezone. Based on the examples given under profile options that would be places like Lisbon, Canary, Faroe, Belfast, Dublin, Guernsey, and London. From there, you can determine which timezone you are in.

If you need help, here's a link: http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_UTC.aspx
Then, count the difference between your time and the time shown - whether you are earlier than or later than.

Right now, I'm 6 hours behind UST-time, so that means the official start of the discussion on Sunday would still be 6pm Saturday for me.

Does that help?

Not So New
Not So New

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:07 pm

aerysa wrote:

In this way, you're the overall moderator for the thread since your post comes first, but I still think it's a good idea that other people get to choose the topics. There were actually quite a few released so far. Whether they want to pick one they love/hate it's up to that person. Completely random is a little... Too impersonal Razz
What I meant was that I would post the current HQ we are discussing so everyone is on the same page. I didn't mean i was going to choose it. I mean I'll change the Current HQ discussion every time we start a new one. This is in case someone new enters the thread and wants to join in on discussion, they'll know which HQ we are discussing.

Thanks for all your suggestions aerysa. Currently typing up a list of "rules" (will post later)

If we use the UST+00:00 timezone, then I think we should choose the HQ that we are discussing on saturday, the day before we start discussing which is on sunday so that everyone will have time to read and will know the exact time we begin discussion.

So whoever is next to choose will tell us before saturday or by saturday so everyone will have time to read and be ready to discuss on sunday.<<refers to only old HQ

the new releases discussion will start any time after it is released.

Also, does anyone care what the rotation order is? If not, I'm just going to write all of our names in a list.

Last edited by blesses on Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
rubenz
Not So New
Not So New

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:31 pm

Thank you for the warm welcome.
Well yeah about Rhodey, they made it into the manga. I think all of Valeria's sister have their own manga ^^.

Quote :
Something from the Heart
1) HATED IT! Evil or Very Mad
2) Morgan was too wishy-washy and an ass towards Leigh who refused to listen to reason. Leigh was too passive when the "incident" came up, not taking more initiative to correct Morgan's understanding of the situation.
3) Leigh's mother admitting that she takes what she wants without relying on anyone else.
4) Basically everything else
5) How Morgan could be in the library during the "incident" and still not notice what was going on between Leigh and the other jerkwad. Why he was sitting in the library alone in the dark to begin with.
6) Besides #3, the only other thing I liked was the artwork!
LOL I agree completely with you here. The art is beautiful but the story sadly is pretty boring. I like other's story by Amanda Browning but this one is such a disappointment Sad

Btw about To Marry a Stranger I think they also have the story about the sisters.
Back to top Go down
http://goukanatokoro.wordpress.com/
blesses
Not So New
Not So New

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:43 pm

rubenz wrote:

Btw about To Marry a Stranger I think they also have the story about the sisters.

Yeah they do. There was a whole mini discussion about there being stories about the sisters in the chatbox in the blog
Back to top Go down
blesses
Not So New
Not So New

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:13 pm

Here is a draft of the "rules" (hope we can finish this before it is sunday)

RULES OF DISCUSSION
** The time zone we will be using is UST+00:00 (this is very important) To keep track of the time, visit http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_UTC.aspx
(Kudos to aerysa for the link)
1) We will have at most 2 HQs discussed at the same time (1=new release)(2=old HQ)
2)Chosen HQ will be announced on before or on Saturday to give time for members to read and write their reviews.
3) Old HQ topic will be chosen in rotation of members of this thread (currently blesses, Nathye, aerysa, and silvery)<<not the order of rotation
--rotation order has not yet been decided
4)Whoever chooses that week’s topic will be the moderator of the discussion
5) Discussions for HQs will be one week long
Old HQ discussionsbegin on Sunday at 12AM UST+00:00 and end on Saturday at 11:59PM UST +00:00
New Release Discussion-beginwhatever time SMS releases it and end a week after the day of release
6) Before joining in the discussion, please post your review to the current topics of discussion. Use the following outline (Kudos to aerysa):
Spoiler:

7)No ill-mannered language
**)Preferably no off-topic discussion but it is up to the moderator whether or not to let off topic discussions to go on.
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:19 pm

rubenz wrote:
LOL I agree completely with you here. The art is beautiful but the story sadly is pretty boring. I like other's story by Amanda Browning but this one is such a disappointment Sad

Artwork makes a huge difference since this story gets a bit more love than Man of Ice when they really have essentially the same storyline... Lol~ But I've "trained" myself to get over the artwork because a story can have "ugly" artwork and be really awesome, or vice versa Smile

Oh, another series one! That's pretty fun. If the series is good, it's always interesting to see more of it ^^

@blesses -
Thanks for all the work! Very Happy

Please add rubenz to the list of members who will choose the old HQs. And yes, whoever is next should choose by Saturday. Also, don't put the review criteria under a spoiler (unless that's only to save space?) A little worried people will miss that part when it's important Razz

Should there be some moderator guidelines about what is responsible with that role? Since we're taking turns with that too.

Another rule to add. To bold/highlight the name of the story before commenting on it, to help in organization for other discussion participants. We have been doing that already, but just to enforce it a little more if necessary.

Oh, and if a new member joins and sticks around, I think they should be given the chance to pick the next topic - so it's more welcoming! That way, just add their name to the rotation right after whoever picked last. Does that make sense?

Say the rotation was - blesses, aerysa, Nathye, rubenz, silvery. (for example - I would just randomly draw names from a hat or something) and the new person joined during a week where I picked the topic. Then let them pick for the week after, which would insert their name between me and Nathye.

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:36 am

aerysa wrote:
Oh, and if a new member joins and sticks around, I think they should be given the chance to pick the next topic - so it's more welcoming! That way, just add their name to the rotation right after whoever picked last. Does that make sense?

Say the rotation was - blesses, aerysa, Nathye, rubenz, silvery. (for example - I would just randomly draw names from a hat or something) and the new person joined during a week where I picked the topic. Then let them pick for the week after, which would insert their name between me and Nathye.

I like the system of giving a welcoming gift to newcomers. Very Happy

Btw sometimes sms releases a HQ on Sunday and the in the middle of the week releases a HQ with 2 volumes (or not but one that has chapters) how will we proceed then?

Not So New
Not So New

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:56 am

@aerysa
Alright, I'll add those things to the rules (including the newcomers thing about choosing HQ)
I put the review criteria under a spoiler b/c the first post is going to be pretty long then. I can enlarge and color the font for that rule to make sure people read that rule.

Nathye wrote:

Btw sometimes sms releases a HQ on Sunday and the in the middle of the week releases a HQ with 2 volumes (or not but one that has chapters) how will we proceed then?

well In the draft of rules, for the 1 week max discussion rule, I put for new releases, discussion will begin the day it is released and end a week from release.
As for those that are released in parts or volumes, I don't think we should have a discussion for them yet because it just complicates things if the HQ isn't finished yet. We'll just have one HQ to discuss that week then.
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:11 pm

Nathye wrote:
Well, the point is that we want to encourage people to stick around! So if they feel involved right from the start, I think they're more likely to participate Smile

blesses wrote:
@aerysa
Alright, I'll add those things to the rules (including the newcomers thing about choosing HQ)
I put the review criteria under a spoiler b/c the first post is going to be pretty long then. I can enlarge and color the font for that rule to make sure people read that rule.
Sounds perfect to me. Thanks!

blesses wrote:
Nathye wrote:

well In the draft of rules, for the 1 week max discussion rule, I put for new releases, discussion will begin the day it is released and end a week from release.
As for those that are released in parts or volumes, I don't think we should have a discussion for them yet because it just complicates things if the HQ isn't finished yet. We'll just have one HQ to discuss that week then.
I think the "new release" HQ should ONLY involve completed one-volume releases which are typically released on the Sunday. It's too confusing to cover all the new releases. Also, just reading a chapter or two, we won't be able to follow our own guidelines of reviews. It's hard to give an overall review when you don't even know the story completely. If someone wants to suggest it AFTER completion, then that's perfectly fine. So in that sense, perhaps it's a new rule? Suggestions for topics of discussion are only completed series.

What starts out as a good series might actually turn out to be a terrible one or vice versa. It's best to reserve judgment until the story is read in its entirety. Honestly, sometimes nothing really happens in just a chapter or two and definitely not enough to form a concrete opinion.

Not So New
Not So New

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:32 pm

aerysa wrote:
\
I think the "new release" HQ should ONLY involve completed one-volume releases which are typically released on the Sunday. It's too confusing to cover all the new releases. Also, just reading a chapter or two, we won't be able to follow our own guidelines of reviews. It's hard to give an overall review when you don't even know the story completely. If someone wants to suggest it AFTER completion, then that's perfectly fine. So in that sense, perhaps it's a new rule? Suggestions for topics of discussion are only completed series.
Hmmm now that I think about it, usually when SMS releases in parts, sometimes they release it mid week and release a completed HQ on sundays. yeah I'll include that in the rules then. I think we're pretty much done with the rules right? With this we're pretty much complete and we can start discussing =)
Back to top Go down
Nathye

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:05 am

blesses wrote:
aerysa wrote:

Hmmm now that I think about it, usually when SMS releases in parts, sometimes they release it mid week and release a completed HQ on sundays. yeah I'll include that in the rules then. I think we're pretty much done with the rules right? With this we're pretty much complete and we can start discussing =)

Well in pretty much an hour we can start discussing ^^... I will just start tomorrow since I will not wait for the starting time xD

btw I just didn't understand if we can mention another HQ but just mention and not discuss, apart from the ones that we are discussing?

aerysa wrote:
Nathye wrote:
Well, the point is that we want to encourage people to stick around! So if they feel involved right from the start, I think they're more likely to participate Smile

Well I would like to suggest rubenz for next week moderator since she joined just recently this could be our welcoming gift like aerysa suggested what do you guys think?

Well I just saw this week release and it has two parts. So following the plan we will discuss just the old one (THE SULTAN'S HEIR) and then next week we will discuss this week release (idol dreams) since next week will be the second and last part of it. Am I correct to assume this Question

Last edited by Nathye on Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I just saw the new release xD)
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:13 am

Nathye wrote:
btw I just didn't understand if we can mention another HQ but just mention and not discuss, apart from the ones that we are discussing?
You can mention other HQs, but I would refrain from doing so just because we're likely to feel like we want to discuss that one as well. It's up to the moderator to decide if she feels the topic is getting off-topic Razz

Nathye wrote:
Well I would like to suggest rubenz for next week moderator since she joined just recently this could be our welcoming gift like aerysa suggested what do you guys think?
Sure! That's totally fine with me ^^

Nathye wrote:
Well I just saw this week release and it has two parts. So following the plan we will discuss just the old one (THE SULTAN'S HEIR) and then next week we will discuss this week release (idol dreams) since next week will be the second and last part of it. Am I correct to assume this Question
The new release of Idol Dreams can be discussed because it is completed, even though it's released in two parts. Unless I missed something? At least, both of the parts were available when I went to download it and the 2nd part was marked with (END).

But yes, I believe discussion for both is now officially open! I just need to read/re-read them first Razz

Not So New
Not So New

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:17 am

Nathye wrote:

No, the new release will be discussed this week b/c it's completed. (both parts were released today).

For new releases that are in parts and aren't complete (unlike this week's), they will automatically be moved to the category of suggest HQ discussion.

as for rubenz, yeah sure. I'll post it up at the top.

DISCUSSIONS CAN BEGIN. TECHNICALLY IT IS MONDAY right now if you check UTC+00:00 timezone.
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:46 pm

Wow, what a lively discussion over the weekend. Well, if we're ready to start the discussions, I'll post them after I'm done with Idol Dreams Very Happy
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:07 pm

I guess I'll start this round of discussion with my reviews!

Idol Dreams
1) Liked it
2) I liked the characters and the general storyline, but I wish there was more background/interaction between Joe and Quincy. I also wish there was more buildup towards the ending since it seemed lack luster to me.
3) I liked that Bobby was the one who sent in the application form! Very cute. I also like that Brendan and Quincy broke things off, both realizing that the relationship wasn't working, rather than trying to force it. It shows maturity in both of them.
4) The fact that Joe would only say things like "I need you" when he wanted to stay together, but really, their interactions were very limited. I didn't get a feel of how they connected in the first place. Likewise with Quincy because it only seemed like an idol crush for the longest time. That and feeling "awed" by his lifestyle.
5) N/A
6) The pink was kind of hard to get over! Lol, even though I've read mangas with the same formatting. The artwork was kind of meh, since I felt Brendan and Joe looked very similar. Overall, it was a nice read, but I felt like there were "moments" (critical moments) missing.

The Sultan's Heir
1) Liked it
2) I liked certain elements of it, but the delivery of the story seemed confusing in some parts especially since it involves "history" and all the text/dialogue required there. I really liked Sam though. He was such a cutie.
3) The moment where Naijb freaks out after suddenly announcing the option of marriage to Rosalind. When Sam does his "parachute" moment. Rosalind was about to rush in to comfort him, but Najib just yells at him to suck it up and be a man. Amusing way to console a child XD When Rosalind explains how she's rethinking about her marriage to Jihmand (?). Najib yells at her about laying the blame at his feet and she snaps back that he shouldn't be so quick-tempered. Also, when he freaks out about "not being able to compete with a dead man".
4) N/A
5) When Rosalind was remembering how she came to be the "mother" of Sam, recalling her meeting with Ramiss. It was hard to tell if that was an active discussion (as in she told Najib) or if it was just a flashback.
6) I feel like there could be more to the ending... It was fitting, but I think it would have been nice to get more - like after they retrieved the "rose".

(Sorry if I butchered the names on the second one... It's really hard to remember.)

Not So New
Not So New

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:16 pm

Haha ^-^'' Wrote a lot b/c I like to take notes as i read along. so spoiler-ed it. Much appreciated if you do read everything but if not, I get that =/

The Sultan’s Heir
Spoiler:

Idol Dreams
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
blesses
Not So New
Not So New

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:59 pm

Idol Dreams
aerysa wrote:
I wish there was more background/interaction between Joe and Quincy. I also wish there was more buildup towards the ending since it seemed lack luster to me.
Yeah, I get that. There was so much going on with the promo, the press, the assistants, etc. But the ending kind of made up for it IMO. The “you and me, just us” interaction between the two that was genuine compared to their “date”

aerysa wrote:
The pink was kind of hard to get over! Lol, even though I've read mangas with the same formatting. The artwork was kind of meh, since I felt Brendan and Joe looked very similar. Overall, it was a nice read, but I felt like there were "moments" (critical moments) missing.

Ah…well the pink wasn’t new to me so I was ok with it. I've read Harlequin Pinks. Just kind of wish they took the time to clean it a little and split the pages. I thought the artwork was fine. For me, Joe looked more star quality compared to Brendan’s ordinary guy quality so it wasn’t like that for me. But I agree, there were moments missing but the ending made up for it.

The Sultan’s Heir
aerysa wrote:
When Rosalind was remembering how she came to be the "mother" of Sam, recalling her meeting with Ramiss. It was hard to tell if that was an active discussion (as in she told Najib) or if it was just a flashback.
I understand that. When she had the flashback, I thought she was telling Najib so towards the end when Najib said he’ll be Sam’s father or w/e, I was confused until I realized that she hadn’t told Najib yet which is why he got angry at the end about Ramiss.

aerysa wrote:
(Sorry if I butchered the names on the second one... It's really hard to remember.)
No, you did ok. Najib and Rosalind. But it’s actually Jashmid so you almost got that one.
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:19 pm

Here's my take on the stories
The Sultan's Heir

Spoiler:

blesses wrote:
-Page 3 in chapter 5, didn't Rosalind trip on her dress?
I thought so too! maybe it's a mistake in the artwork?

Idol Dreams

Spoiler:

blesses wrote:
Ah…well the pink wasn’t new to me so I was ok with it. I've read Harlequin Pinks. Just kind of wish they took the time to clean it a little and split the pages. I thought the artwork was fine. For me, Joe looked more star quality compared to Brendan’s ordinary guy quality so it wasn’t like that for me. But I agree, there were moments missing but the ending made up for it.

I agree. While the pink did make it a little difficult to read, it wasn't that big a problem. Well, there are times when you wish they'd split the pages, until you come across a two page spread that wasn't joined. I'm happy with what's given.

blesses wrote:
- whenever characters start talking about their family background, I think "why are you revealing this information?" because it's kind of "all of a sudden" and usually isn’t much of a reason to do that. The bit about Joe talking about the origin of his name Jose and his grandfather’s orchard was one of those moments where I thought that. I get that he was explaining his name “jose” but I didn’t get why he talked about the orchard to “strangers”
Maybe he was just explaining his background/ heritage to Quincy? After all, when I think Spanish and California, I immediately think orchards. So he could be confirming an unspoken assumption.
Back to top Go down
blesses
Not So New
Not So New

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:17 pm

The Sultan's Heir
silvery wrote:

A tie between when Najib comes out naked from the sea and when he finds out that Sam is actually his sister's son XD (hilarious)
LOL A TIE?! I think Najib totally comes out on top! He took so boldly naked in front of Rosalind. It was pretty funny to me.

silvery wrote:
The art was a little too shoujo-ish (glittery, flowery and big-eyed characters) and the facial expressions felt stiff. I also had trouble differentiating Najib and Jamshid.
The way I was able to differentiate the two was by how Jashmid looked kind of flowery and girly with his eyes.

Idol Dreams
silvery wrote:
Actually, any scene with Brendan in it. He makes me irritated with his attitude, trying to control Quincy/tell her what to do. At least until they broke up.
Yeah...that usually happens in love triangles, the frustration; but I love how they broke up and returned to being friends instead of Brandan insisting on continuing with a love-void relationship like how some people try to desperately keep (resulting in their doom).
silvery wrote:
How in the wide wide Spain did they happen to be in the same place?
You know what they say, "it's a small world after all; it's a small world after all; it's a small world after all; it's small, small worrrrrrrrrld!" =D lol sorry, just had to type out the lyrics to the song.

silvery wrote:
blesses wrote:
- whenever characters start talking about their family background, I think "why are you revealing this information?" because it's kind of "all of a sudden" and usually isn’t much of a reason to do that. The bit about Joe talking about the origin of his name Jose and his grandfather’s orchard was one of those moments where I thought that. I get that he was explaining his name “jose” but I didn’t get why he talked about the orchard to “strangers”
Maybe he was just explaining his background/ heritage to Quincy? After all, when I think Spanish and California, I immediately think orchards. So he could be confirming an unspoken assumption.
Well it seemed like he was talking in general and was thinking that people would listen. But what's the unspoken assumption?
Lol I think of missionaries b/c that's what I learned in elementary school.
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:46 pm

The Sultan's Heir
blesses wrote:
LOL A TIE?! I think Najib totally comes out on top! He took so boldly naked in front of Rosalind. It was pretty funny to me.

Well, it's true that Rosalind's reaction was funny when she realized that he was naked but his realization that his sister had been dumped when she was pregnant was also priceless

blesses wrote:
The way I was able to differentiate the two was by how Jashmid looked kind of flowery and girly with his eyes.

They do, don't they? And Jamshid's hair (fringe) is a little longer and curlier than Najib's.

Idol Dreams
blesses wrote:

Yeah...that usually happens in love triangles, the frustration; but I love how they broke up and returned to being friends instead of Brandan insisting on continuing with a love-void relationship like how some people try to desperately keep (resulting in their doom).

I suppose when he realized that it wasn't going well, he realized how incompatible they were as a couple. And maybe he was looking at it from a professional point of view (he is her father's partner after all) better not sour the partnership and all.

blesses wrote:
silvery wrote:
How in the wide wide Spain did they happen to be in the same place?
You know what they say, "it's a small world after all; it's a small world after all; it's a small world after all; it's small, small worrrrrrrrrld!" =D lol sorry, just had to type out the lyrics to the song.

Haha, well if you want coincidences, fates and destinies, romance novels are full of them

blesses wrote:

Well it seemed like he was talking in general and was thinking that people would listen. But what's the unspoken assumption?
Lol I think of missionaries b/c that's what I learned in elementary school.
That since he's Spanish American, his parents run an orchard? How exotic can this singer get?
Back to top Go down
rubenz
Not So New
Not So New

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:17 pm

Idol Dreams
1) Like it
2) I like the main hero and heroine, both have an interesting personality. And the storyline is pretty good. But I think they fall in love pretty fast, I want to see more chemistry between them.
3) When Joe comes after her to Spain and then he introduces her to his family. It showed that he is pretty serious about her.
4) When Quincy cut her hairs, I think she looks better at the first appearance.
5) N/A
6) The pink color makes my eyes hurt and it's kinda hard to read the text lol

Edit: I forgot the story about Sultan's Heir, need to re-read it again xD
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:18 am

The Sultan’s Heir

blesses wrote:
-One of the cutest parts at the end when Najib learns about Sam being the son of Ramiss.
Rosalind:NAJIB! DIDN'T YOU JUST PROMISE ME TO BE KINDER?
Najib: Argh! It's just hard to change someone's character
haha, I love how they interact with each other. They're funny and so cute together.
Ahaha! There were many cute moments like that.

blesses wrote:
-The way for protection is best solved through marriage. I didn’t really like that because it’s very typical to resort to marriage in these situations in HQs =/
True, but the reason why I actually liked it was because it was a spontaneous decision on his part. Most of the time in other ones, it's more thought out and manipulative in that sense. I thought it was funny how he was like "WHAT?! Why did I just dooo that!! Shocked"

blesses wrote:
-Sam fell on his head! How'd that happen? Najib was right there in front of him, why didn't he catch Sam?
Maybe he expected him to land on his feet? Sometimes things happen too quickly before someone really realizes what is going on.

blesses wrote:
-I think it's kind of ridiculously funny how they suddenly feel the need and proceed with kissing each other after the meeting at the Tateishi. Though now that I think about it, is it the mysterious powers of the legend of the Tateishi statue? But as for the slight immaturity on my part, it’s b/c it seemed kind of out of nowhere. IMO part of the reason why Rosalind kissed Najib is because she heard the legend so in a psychological sense, it's influenced her actions. But the attraction caused by Tateishi. It looked like an invisible force.
Hm... That scene was kind of Rolling Eyes for me. I think it was partially the attraction there to begin with, subtly, and the whole "unexpected" factor. She wasn't expecting it, but the whole legend is that they're destined to be together. And recognizing who was there... There was this tug and pull incident. She ran away because she didn't WANT it to be him, but she was actually attracted him.

blesses wrote:
-"Children cry b/c they get scared, not because of the pain." Hmm...is that true? I agree that one of the reasons for crying is due to fear but I think pain is also one too. When I was a kid, I fell down and scraped my knee and there was sand too and it hurt like heck. When they put rubbing alcohol on it, I started crying b/c it stung a lot.
Lol, inaccurate psychology? I definitely cried because of the pain and I cried a lot when I was a kid! It's probably a mix of both. We cry because there's pain, but also because we don't know what to do about it, so in that sense it's being "scared". Like "it hurts! How do I make it go away?!" Sad

blesses wrote:
I understand that. When she had the flashback, I thought she was telling Najib so towards the end when Najib said he’ll be Sam’s father or w/e, I was confused until I realized that she hadn’t told Najib yet which is why he got angry at the end about Ramiss.
That's why I said it was confusing. I didn't realize until that moment at the end. It would have been nice to have it clearer somehow.

silvery wrote:
blesses wrote:
-Page 3 in chapter 5, didn't Rosalind trip on her dress?
I thought so too! maybe it's a mistake in the artwork?
Wow, you two are observant! I didn't notice anything like that.

blesses wrote:
silvery wrote:
The art was a little too shoujo-ish (glittery, flowery and big-eyed characters) and the facial expressions felt stiff. I also had trouble differentiating Najib and Jamshid.
Yeah! Also, Jashmid was leaner in his face and his frame. He was more girly than Najib. Wasn't his hair also curlier/wavier?

Idol Dreams
blesses wrote:
-I seriously don't blame her for saying that she hated every moment of the promotion when she “said goodbye” to Joe after the date. It was a horrible promotion. People making decisions for her without her own opinon.
It would be! She didn't even get to decide if she wanted to and she was yelled at every time she tried to exert some independence. Like how she left the flat with Brendan to do some sightseeing and Joe freaked out when she returned...

blesses wrote:
-Like I said, the ending was good IMO. It was a nice change of pace. Instead of a wedding scene or something really passionate, it was more quiet. =)
Honestly, I can't even see how they "got together" so it just seemed "meh!" to me. There was nothing there to support this (sudden?) "I love you, I want to be with you" business...

blesses wrote:
-I didn't like how the parents didn't bother consulting Quincy. She's 22 so legally she represents herself as an adult. Plus, everyone was making decisions for her. Everyone is like Quincy this, Quincy that, do this, do that, don't do this, don't do that. I'm surprised she didn't take a stand.
At the beginning, but after she did sign the legally binding contract. She did try to take a stand, but even so... Nothing came out of it really?

blesses wrote:
-don't like how they revamped Quincy too. I thought they were going for the perfect "girl next door" type. Glamorizing her will just ruin the whole thing. She looked so sweet and nice in her own style =(
I didn't really see a difference... haha! She looked the same to me, except they trimmed her hair a little?

blesses wrote:
-Can’t believe that Joe tricked Quincy into going into his hotel. What the heck. I’ve never seen that happen in an HQ before either.
That was definitely sneaky and underhanded on his part. Now that I think about it, quite a few of his scenes just seem manipulative more than anything.

blesses wrote:
-it's quite unusual for there to be a love triangle in HQs right? I think it is. I don’t remember there ever being love triangles. Usually it gets really ugly and one guy/girl gets hurt in the end. I’m really glad that didn’t happen.
I don't think it's unusual. I just think that it's always skewed from the start. There's never a "true" love triangle. The girl already has feelings for one guy over the other.

blesses wrote:
Maybe I wasn't paying that much attention, but didn't she ask? If not, I'm thinking that she was the only one who was actually listening to him, showing interest in him as "Joe" rather "Joe the idol". When you find the right person, things just tumble out of you even if you don't mean for them to come out.

blesses wrote:
I've read Harlequin Pinks before too, but it's been a long time since XD And yes, they weren't as clean as they could have been, but I could read it just fine so I'm not complaining! It's one of the HQ Pinks that I haven't read.

silvery wrote:
4)Actually, any scene with Brendan in it. He makes me irritated with his attitude, trying to control Quincy/tell her what to do. At least until they broke up.
I didn't find him that annoying and I didn't think of it as him trying to control Quincy, so much as looking out for her as a "jealous rival". Really, if you didn't like him for trying to control her/tell her what do, you shouldn't have liked any of the characters. They all tried to do that at one point or another, Joe included.

silvery wrote:
5)How in the wide wide Spain did they happen to be in the same place?
It's a HQ story. That's all you need to know Laughing It's really, such a cliched plot device.

silvery wrote:
6) While I liked the story, I wish Quincy wasn't so insecure and Joe was given more time/art space for me to like him better.
So true! That's part of why I couldn't get into it more. There were so little interactions to show something deeper into their relationship.

silvery wrote:
I suppose when he realized that it wasn't going well, he realized how incompatible they were as a couple. And maybe he was looking at it from a professional point of view (he is her father's partner after all) better not sour the partnership and all.
They weren't necessarily incompatible, but really, there was no chemistry between them especially with Joe in the picture. It wasn't like Brendan didn't know about him, especially when their first meeting was with a kiss. Though yes, the other factors could play into effect too. Since he works with her father, they would see each other quite often. Better to end things while they can go back to how it was before things get ugly.

silvery wrote:
Haha, well if you want coincidences, fates and destinies, romance novels are full of them
Right up there with sudden pregnancies and marriage as the only solution Rolling Eyes Laughing

rubenz wrote:
2) I like the main hero and heroine, both have an interesting personality. And the storyline is pretty good. But I think they fall in love pretty fast, I want to see more chemistry between them.
So true. I really think they would have clicked well together, but everything just seemed like a mad rush and then suddenly, we're at the finish line...

rubenz wrote:
3) When Joe comes after her to Spain and then he introduces her to his family. It showed that he is pretty serious about her.
I think he was already in Spain, but somehow they managed to bump into each other on the street. But yes, it's rather cute that he was insistent she meet his parents! Razz

Not So New
Not So New

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:22 am

Quote :
I think he was already in Spain, but somehow they managed to bump into each other on the street. But yes, it's rather cute that he was insistent she meet his parents! Razz

Eh he is already in Spain *goes to re-read a scene again* Lol because the pink text I skipped some the lines xD Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General HQ thread   

Back to top Go down

General HQ thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 14Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 14  Next