Shojo Manhwa Scans

Download Scanlations from SMScans Here
 
BlogHomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Fifty Shades of Grey

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

What do you think?
Good (Already read)
10%
 10% [ 5 ]
Bad (Already read)
13%
 13% [ 7 ]
Reading it
8%
 8% [ 4 ]
On list of "books to read"
21%
 21% [ 11 ]
Not going to read it
48%
 48% [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 52
 

AuthorMessage
blesses
Not So New
Not So New


Posts : 136
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : USA

PostSubject: Fifty Shades of Grey    Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:56 pm

Hey guys, so about two months ago I was watching the news and this trilogy caught the eyes of American women across the nation(i don't know about other countries though). I saw a thread like this on mangaupdates and decided to give a swing at creating a discussion with people on sms about it.

I created a poll and allowed cancellation of votes in case people change their minds, such as those who haven't read it end up reading it and have a new opinion.

I heard a few things about it so far such as it was originally a fanfiction based on Twilight and that the characters are kind of one dimensional. So as of right now, I'm "not going to read it." However, I'm open-minded to other people's opinions whether it be good or bad (as long as it doesn't get ugly ie ill mannered language such as swearing).

I probably won't take part in the discussion very much because I haven't read it so it wouldn't be fair to give an opinion (unless I do decide to pick up the book)

Check out the summary on amazon if you haven't heard of it or just google the summary.
Back to top Go down
aerysa
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 600
Join date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:15 am

I'm also in the "not going to read it" category! Seems very "pop culture" to me, as with lots of these new trilogies/book series. Most of the time they don't seem worth it either. Personally, it's against my nature to follow the trends of society... haha, just to be a rebel or something XD I have types of books I enjoy reading already.

Anyways, I heard that they were going to make this into a movie? (Even MORE reason, IMO, not to read it... I hate how everything just gets popularized this way...) If it's truly good, then awesome. But I'm still not going to read it.

I don't know about the books, but the comments made by the radio host... Seemed like another "Twilight" to me. She was saying how no one really cares who the actress is, but everyone is more anticipating who is going to play the main guy. Once again, because he's supposed to be a total stud and all this other stuff?

So yeah, even if someone tells me it's good, there's a 100% chance that I won't read it... Lol~

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://mikarysa.livejournal.com/
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member
avatar

Posts : 466
Join date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:56 am

I was pretty ambivalent about the books when I saw them in the bookstores because there was no summary about the book. After what you guys said (a fanfiction based on Twilight) I just went to check the summary online...

I know I won't be picking up the book. The book appears to be an erotic fiction with bondage, S&M etc. So while I'm ok with smut, I don't think I can handle the rest. It's kind of degrading. (besides the fact that I'm not a fan of Twilight so the book's already a turnoff). So yeah, I'm on the same side as aerysa...
Back to top Go down
aerysa
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 600
Join date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:08 pm

silvery wrote:
I know I won't be picking up the book. The book appears to be an erotic fiction with bondage, S&M etc. So while I'm ok with smut, I don't think I can handle the rest. It's kind of degrading. (besides the fact that I'm not a fan of Twilight so the book's already a turnoff). So yeah, I'm on the same side as aerysa...
Uggh... Really? That's seriously not my cup of tea either! I read a short story in that genre not knowing and was totally creeped out. haha, I suppose I could have stopped reading at any time, but my curiosity got the better of me... And now it's like "Ick!" *squirm*

Well, that's good to know! Though I guess if they really are turning it into a movie, they'd have to do quite a bit of editing? Depending on how uh, graphic and involved that factors in. *shrugs*

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://mikarysa.livejournal.com/
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member
avatar

Posts : 466
Join date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:37 pm

Well, considering how some bookstores here (my country) arrange the books, I guess I'm thankful they didn't end up in the tween/teen section, since they may have heard that it's based on Twilight...
Back to top Go down
blesses
Not So New
Not So New


Posts : 136
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:56 pm

I know I said I probably won't take part in the discussion but no one's read it so far so I'll give my input as to why I won't read it.

Yeah like other people say...the S&M thing is not my thing either. I've haven't read much erotic stuff in novels yet so I'm not into reading it.

When reading reviews on amazon, people said it was like Twilight and Twilight it's more than NOT my cup of tea, it's something I don't dare to even touch despite my sister owning all the volumes at home (she's a vampire reader). But I admit that I did consider reading it way before all the twihearts and all the crazy nonsense it created with the movies. That was because one of my very good reading buddies was reading it. In general, vampire stories were never my thing either besides Buffy the Vampire Slayer when it was a TV show. On mangaupdates, people said that this trilogy was based on a fanfiction that was based on Twilight...more of a reason not to read this.

A lot of people are also wondering why the heck, out of many other stories like this "Fifty Shades of Grey," did this one stand out from the rest. =|

@aerysa
I don't like following pop culture either. Usually I discover things before it becomes pop culture (like hunger games trilogy. 3 years ago, I discovered that trilogy and now I feel like they kind of butchered it in the movie.....only eventful thing in the movie to me was when the mutations suddenly jumped out causing me and my friends to jump in our seats haha....)

=O a movie? I hope it's R rated so that no one under aged will taint their eyes with nonsense. The male lead? mmm I hope that an A list celebrity won't be taking on the role....it's definitely a role in which one can shine in without losing more than a bit of pride and dignity....*shudder
Back to top Go down
Nathye
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 296
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : my home xD

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:03 pm

Well as for me I am a vampire fan (every kind of vampire... well not every) obvious Dracula was a really good book and now the most know one is twilight and I did read all of the books (except the last that was about a vampire girl or something) I did like the book it was nice. It wasn't by far the best book I read but it was nice... I also have to admit that there were some inconsistencies (not sure about this word -.-') like a shining vampire? a virgin vampire? but ignoring that type of thing it was nice... But after I read it because a world wild success and everyone just talked about this so now I don't even like to hear the word twilight because I am just tired of it ! And that's the reason why I will not read this book... And after what silvery said about the book I will most definitively not change my opinion...

One more thing I think this book is still not available here in my country...Since I love to read I more or less know the new books that are out in the market in order for me to buy them ^^

_________________
No matter how DARK the night, somehow the SUN rises once again and all the shadows are chased away
Back to top Go down
aerysa
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 600
Join date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:07 am

Well, I've only read one erotica short story and it was just like urrgh... Really was so pointless. I'm sure there are waaay better ones out there, but in general, don't care for it.

That said, I actually don't know much about the series and I haven't checked out any synopsis for out. Once something goes into the realm of "pop culture", I won't bother. Most of the time it's overhyped and even if it's not, it's like other people ruin it for me. Because you get those crazies who just are so over-the-top and I don't want to hear it XD

And yah, if this thing IS related to Twilight, all the more reason not to! Twilight was just ridiculous... And to turn THAT into some sort of erotic novel? Weird... Too weird. I only watched one Twilight movie and it was hilarious cuz it was that bad...

I heard Hunger Games was really good! Only watched the movie, but I heard the books were pretty graphic? Eek! Not my thing either... I mean, the movie already seemed pretty gory to me, so if it's worse than that... Yeah no.

Actually, I don't mind vampire/supernatural stuff. I've read a few good ones that I actually like, but in general, I don't read that as much as historical romance. haha, just have a love obsession with the hierarchy of that era and what not.

@Nathye - Even if you can't buy the actual book, can you not find it online for e-readers? Everything comes out in books and ebooks nowadays.

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://mikarysa.livejournal.com/
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member
avatar

Posts : 466
Join date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:43 am

Hmm, it seems like everyone who's posted here are anti-Twilights... Very Happy The erotica short story that aerysa shared (because of a request) in the last forum was as she said, pointless. It was in my opinion, as bad as watching porn, if you have a very good imagination (and I do) so why waste my time and money reading this?

As for Hunger games, I'd read the first page and had found it interesting but my brother said that in was similar to the manga Battle Royal which was rather graphic/gory so I decided not to buy... I'm squeamish...
Back to top Go down
aerysa
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 600
Join date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:02 pm

silvery wrote:
Hmm, it seems like everyone who's posted here are anti-Twilights... Very Happy The erotica short story that aerysa shared (because of a request) in the last forum was as she said, pointless. It was in my opinion, as bad as watching porn, if you have a very good imagination (and I do) so why waste my time and money reading this?

As for Hunger games, I'd read the first page and had found it interesting but my brother said that in was similar to the manga Battle Royal which was rather graphic/gory so I decided not to buy... I'm squeamish...
I didn't read the one that was shared in the previous forum since you gave us fair warning. But the one I read (didn't know beforehand), was as you say - pointless. It's like literal porn? haha! Or written porn. And people already say that about romance novels. To me, it was like taking all the sex scenes, slapping them together and calling it a story of "love" when all they really did was continually have sex. There was nothing else behind it.
Maybe what I read was more "hardcore" erotica? No clue, but overall, it just takes out the whole "relationship" aspect to me, which is the part I like in romances.

And yes, I'm squeamish too... Weird that I like crime-scene type TV shows, but if it's worse than the movie in terms of gore (which I heard it was), then it's too much for me! A girl at work was reading it and said it was really good otherwise.

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://mikarysa.livejournal.com/
blesses
Not So New
Not So New


Posts : 136
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : USA

PostSubject: HELLA OFF TOPIC   Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:50 pm

Please read through this spoiler. I promise you won't be sorry.
Spoiler:
 

@Nathye
I was going to be in your position, reading twilight. I might have thought it was nice like you do too but I never did get that chance and I swear I never will after the crazy nonsense created by the movies. can't believe it caused the coining of the term "tween" what is a tween? why coin another term for the word "teen"
_________

I don't read erotic novels because I don't think I'm ready to. When reading the written word, it causes one to imagine and the written word can be very very descriptive, causing one to see things that one would not see with just a picture. I know I'm not ready to get into anything beyond mild smut with my imagination.
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member
avatar

Posts : 466
Join date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:59 pm

@ blesses
Nicely defended. I can see from your point of view that Hunger Games is not like Battle Royale(which I couldn't stomach) Maybe I will pick up the book one day. For now, I have too many to read.

@ aerysa
I find myself the same. Crime-scene series don't bother me as much... maybe it's the absence of blood...
Back to top Go down
Nathye
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 296
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : my home xD

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:18 pm

aerysa wrote:
@Nathye - Even if you can't buy the actual book, can you not find it online for e-readers? Everything comes out in books and ebooks nowadays.

Probably I can find it I'm just not up to it ^^ It didn't catch my interest so I just won't read it Very Happy

It's not like I have a problem with Crime-scene series... I just try to avoid when I am eating lunch... I mean my fav Crime-scene series is bones and watching dead body while eating is not really my thing but apart from that it's cool ^^

_________________
No matter how DARK the night, somehow the SUN rises once again and all the shadows are chased away
Back to top Go down
aerysa
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 600
Join date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:46 pm

blesses wrote:
I don't read erotic novels because I don't think I'm ready to. When reading the written word, it causes one to imagine and the written word can be very very descriptive, causing one to see things that one would not see with just a picture. I know I'm not ready to get into anything beyond mild smut with my imagination.
So true. I have that issue too. It's also why I can't watch scary movies/gory movies. It's one of those "you can't unsee what you've already seen" issues. My mind just takes it to a whole other level and replays all the scary creepy parts in my mind! Eek! Nightmares...
But back to the erotica thing - I really don't think we're missing out on much of anything.

As for crime scene shows... Me and my sister actually noticed that most of the time we're eating while watching... Lol~ For the most part, I can watch it. The parts I can't watch (say in CSI) is where they do the autopsy and they're about to or are cutting into the body... *shivers* I know it's fake, but it's really what people need to do! So it's just icky that way.

Oh, for the "tween" comment. Isn't that supposed to be a uhm "compound" word of between and teen? Teens is supposed to be 13 to 19, because thirTEEN, fourTEEN, etc. Tweens is like 11/12 years old. Not exactly "kid" and not quite a "teen". Though seriously... They're all kids to me... haha. Anyone under 16 is still a kid to me.

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://mikarysa.livejournal.com/
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member
avatar

Posts : 466
Join date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:18 pm

aerysa wrote:

As for crime scene shows... Me and my sister actually noticed that most of the time we're eating while watching... Lol~ For the most part, I can watch it. The parts I can't watch (say in CSI) is where they do the autopsy and they're about to or are cutting into the body... *shivers* I know it's fake, but it's really what people need to do! So it's just icky that way.

This was why I liked watching Bones... the body has already been decomposed down to the level of "bones" which aren't gross. But the recent episodes are partial-decomp, which is... oh well, the humour, relationship and science of she show's what keeping me hooked.

aerysa wrote:
Oh, for the "tween" comment. Isn't that supposed to be a uhm "compound" word of between and teen? Teens is supposed to be 13 to 19, because thirTEEN, fourTEEN, etc. Tweens is like 11/12 years old. Not exactly "kid" and not quite a "teen". Though seriously... They're all kids to me... haha. Anyone under 16 is still a kid to me.

Yes it is. But sometimes I feel like tween and teen books have no difference. Some kids mature faster than others and some are still childish at 18... It's all a matter of perspective. I also agree with aerysa that anyone under 16 (sometimes 18) is still a kid...
Back to top Go down
Nathye
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 296
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : my home xD

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:26 am

silvery wrote:
This was why I liked watching Bones... the body has already been decomposed down to the level of "bones" which aren't gross. But the recent episodes are partial-decomp, which is... oh well, the humour, relationship and science of she show's what keeping me hooked.

I already don't know why I watch Bones anymore I mean for sure Bones is my favorite series but have you seen the last episode of season 7? Shocked (I won't say anything else 'cause if you didn't watch I would feel really bad to ruin your intention of watching)
silent

aerysa wrote:
Oh, for the "tween" comment. Isn't that supposed to be a uhm "compound" word of between and teen? Teens is supposed to be 13 to 19, because thirTEEN, fourTEEN, etc. Tweens is like 11/12 years old. Not exactly "kid" and not quite a "teen". Though seriously... They're all kids to me... haha. Anyone under 16 is still a kid to me.

silvery wrote:
Yes it is. But sometimes I feel like tween and teen books have no difference. Some kids mature faster than others and some are still childish at 18... It's all a matter of perspective. I also agree with aerysa that anyone under 16 (sometimes 18) is still a kid...

As for me I think what she meant by tween is something like twilight + teen but I don't know scratch scratch

OFF TOPIC
cheers cheers cheers I THINK THIS IS MY 100TH POST YAY cheers cheers cheers

_________________
No matter how DARK the night, somehow the SUN rises once again and all the shadows are chased away
Back to top Go down
aerysa
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 600
Join date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:12 am

I've watched a few episodes of Bones, but I never really got into it. I'm more of a CSI girl since I'm a nerdy scientist anyways... haha! I love seeing all the techniques they use to analyze evidence and actually knowing what they're doing XD

Twilight + teen? haha, that'd be a strange combination! Not to mention, what would the significance of that be? Twilight has many fans, but not just the younger generation.

silvery wrote:
Yes it is. But sometimes I feel like tween and teen books have no difference. Some kids mature faster than others and some are still childish at 18... It's all a matter of perspective. I also agree with aerysa that anyone under 16 (sometimes 18) is still a kid...
Lol, that's probably because we're the same age~ As for the books, I don't think I've read many tween books... So can't really comment on that. But if you were like me, going to the library all the time, you could borrow anything... It wasn't like they said anything if you borrowed "adult" books while being a teenager.

Oh, and congrats on reaching 100 posts Nathye! I didn't keep track of which post mine was Razz

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://mikarysa.livejournal.com/
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member
avatar

Posts : 466
Join date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:10 pm

Nathye wrote:

I already don't know why I watch Bones anymore I mean for sure Bones is my favorite series but have you seen the last episode of season 7? Shocked (I won't say anything else 'cause if you didn't watch I would feel really bad to ruin your intention of watching) silent

I haven't been able to watch on local channels in a while because I can't receive it at my rented room. I watch every now and then when I'm at home with my family but I lost track of which season I watched Sad (still trying to find the DVDs for season four and above...)

Nathye wrote:


As for me I think what she meant by tween is something like twilight + teen but I don't know scratch scratch

Well, the word tween has been around before Twilight so I don't think that's the right compound for it. And like aerysa said, Twilight fans come in all ages (but most of them are the same gender)

aerysa wrote:
Lol, that's probably because we're the same age~ As for the books, I don't think I've read many tween books... So can't really comment on that. But if you were like me, going to the library all the time, you could borrow anything... It wasn't like they said anything if you borrowed "adult" books while being a teenager.

Lol, I agree. I borrowed diversely when I was younger too. The reason I say the teen and tween books aren't much different is that the plots are about the same except that maybe the language might be simpler (and maybe it's just me but i really think 11-14/15 year-olds are too young to be thinking about relationships as these kind of books are promoting...)

Congrats on your 100th post Nathye. Keep it up Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Nathye
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 296
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : my home xD

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:23 am

aerysa wrote:
Oh, and congrats on reaching 100 posts Nathye! I didn't keep track of which post mine was Razz
silvery wrote:
Congrats on your 100th post Nathye. Keep it up Very Happy

Thanks Very Happy

@aerysa I also watch CSI some times nowadays it's more CSI: Miami and recently I found out that there will be no more CSI: miami the show has been cancelled which is really sad it's a great show all of the CSI

@silvery Well I watch the series bones online it's the fastest way but when it shows on TV I watch i again or buy later the DVD...

silvery wrote:
aerysa wrote:
Lol, that's probably because we're the same age~ As for the books, I don't think I've read many tween books... So can't really comment on that. But if you were like me, going to the library all the time, you could borrow anything... It wasn't like they said anything if you borrowed "adult" books while being a teenager.

Lol, I agree. I borrowed diversely when I was younger too. The reason I say the teen and tween books aren't much different is that the plots are about the same except that maybe the language might be simpler (and maybe it's just me but i really think 11-14/15 year-olds are too young to be thinking about relationships as these kind of books are promoting...)

When I went to the library (it has been ages since I last went) they wouldn't say a word about what I read they just registered and said when I needed to return and that's it... the only person that actually said something to me was my aunt and (if I am correct) the book was The Naked Face by Sidney Sheldom I think it's considered a Thriller... but I really liked the book so I didn't really care much about what she said and on top of that when she said that I had already finished reading all the book Razz

_________________
No matter how DARK the night, somehow the SUN rises once again and all the shadows are chased away
Back to top Go down
aerysa
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 600
Join date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:07 am

Nathye wrote:
@aerysa I also watch CSI some times nowadays it's more CSI: Miami and recently I found out that there will be no more CSI: miami the show has been cancelled which is really sad it's a great show all of the CSI
Oh really? But the other ones are still on?? Honestly, I haven't been following it that closely these last few years, but if I do watch re-runs, it's usually that... Lol. Or Criminal Minds. I never realize it, but the whole CSI series has been around forever!

silvery wrote:
Lol, I agree. I borrowed diversely when I was younger too. The reason I say the teen and tween books aren't much different is that the plots are about the same except that maybe the language might be simpler (and maybe it's just me but i really think 11-14/15 year-olds are too young to be thinking about relationships as these kind of books are promoting...)
Hm... I guess. Nowadays, I wonder how many kids read at all... ^^;; With all the trouble kids are getting into and all that... I honestly can't remember what I was reading back then. But I grew up on various series. Things like Babysitters Club and Sweet Valley... haha! And I kind of liked a bit of horror like Goosebumps. Not really sure when I shifted to the "older" stuff, but seems like I was around that age. 15/16 I mean. Probably because of my sister, being older and all. I remember reading one of her books when I was maybe 14/15 and it was all Shocked cuz of the smut.

Nathye wrote:
When I went to the library (it has been ages since I last went) they wouldn't say a word about what I read they just registered and said when I needed to return and that's it... the only person that actually said something to me was my aunt and (if I am correct) the book was The Naked Face by Sidney Sheldom I think it's considered a Thriller... but I really liked the book so I didn't really care much about what she said and on top of that when she said that I had already finished reading all the book Razz
Yeah, that's so true! They just scan all the books and then tell you when it's due. Actually, I used to borrow stacks and stacks of manga from the library... It was awesome! Very Happy
Perhaps it was the title of the book or the cover? If it's a thriller, the cover should be pretty normal... But sometimes book titles give you a "pause" because of certain words.

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://mikarysa.livejournal.com/
Nathye
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 296
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : my home xD

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:54 am

aerysa wrote:

Oh really? But the other ones are still on?? Honestly, I haven't been following it that closely these last few years, but if I do watch re-runs, it's usually that... Lol. Or Criminal Minds. I never realize it, but the whole CSI series has been around forever!

Yes the other will go on.

aerysa wrote:
Nathye wrote:
When I went to the library (it has been ages since I last went) they wouldn't say a word about what I read they just registered and said when I needed to return and that's it... the only person that actually said something to me was my aunt and (if I am correct) the book was The Naked Face by Sidney Sheldom I think it's considered a Thriller... but I really liked the book so I didn't really care much about what she said and on top of that when she said that I had already finished reading all the book Razz
Yeah, that's so true! They just scan all the books and then tell you when it's due. Actually, I used to borrow stacks and stacks of manga from the library... It was awesome! Very Happy
Perhaps it was the title of the book or the cover? If it's a thriller, the cover should be pretty normal... But sometimes book titles give you a "pause" because of certain words.

I think it was because of the writer she surely knew about him and had read him before that's why she probably why she said that... Also the book has some violent acts and maybe she though I shouldn't read

_________________
No matter how DARK the night, somehow the SUN rises once again and all the shadows are chased away
Back to top Go down
blesses
Not So New
Not So New


Posts : 136
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:44 pm

aerysa wrote:

Hm... I guess. Nowadays, I wonder how many kids read at all... ^^;; With all the trouble kids are getting into and all that... I honestly can't remember what I was reading back then. But I grew up on various series. Things like Babysitters Club and Sweet Valley... haha! And I kind of liked a bit of horror like Goosebumps. Not really sure when I shifted to the "older" stuff, but seems like I was around that age. 15/16 I mean. Probably because of my sister, being older and all. I remember reading one of her books when I was maybe 14/15 and it was all Shocked cuz of the smut.
Where I live, most kids don't even read. We're so surrounded by technology and I live in the city so we have places to go and hang out every day if we want to. When I was younger, I read a lot of Meg Cabot. Still do because I like the stories she writes. I still read Meg Cabot and read a lot of supernatural stuff, slice of life and allegories too.

aerysa wrote:
Nathye wrote:
When I went to the library (it has been ages since I last went) they wouldn't say a word about what I read they just registered and said when I needed to return and that's it... the only person that actually said something to me was my aunt and (if I am correct) the book was The Naked Face by Sidney Sheldom I think it's considered a Thriller... but I really liked the book so I didn't really care much about what she said and on top of that when she said that I had already finished reading all the book Razz
Yeah, that's so true! They just scan all the books and then tell you when it's due. Actually, I used to borrow stacks and stacks of manga from the library... It was awesome! Very Happy
Perhaps it was the title of the book or the cover? If it's a thriller, the cover should be pretty normal... But sometimes book titles give you a "pause" because of certain words.
I used to borrow a ton of manga and books too. sometimes about 15-20 books at a time so I had to bring a bag for library books or I just stuffed my backpack full of books. No one really cares about the books checked out unless it's a little kid reading it. At my city's library system, we don't have overdue fees either for minors so before I turned 18, I used to check books and not return them for months b/c I borrow so much that I couldn't finish reading them. A few times, I went up to the limit which is 50 books. Now though, all the libraries upgraded and we have self-check out which is faster too so it's so I won't have to worry about strange looks =)
Back to top Go down
aerysa
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 600
Join date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Nathye wrote:
I think it was because of the writer she surely knew about him and had read him before that's why she probably why she said that... Also the book has some violent acts and maybe she though I shouldn't read
Oh, then that makes sense though violence is so prevalent in every form of media nowadays - movies, song lyrics, books, games, etc. That's not to say that parents shouldn't censor and monitor what kids read/watch/play/listen to, but unfortunately, it's part of the changing times. There's so many new things that parents need to look out for that their parents didn't have to worry about when they were growing up.

blesses wrote:
Where I live, most kids don't even read. We're so surrounded by technology and I live in the city so we have places to go and hang out every day if we want to. When I was younger, I read a lot of Meg Cabot. Still do because I like the stories she writes. I still read Meg Cabot and read a lot of supernatural stuff, slice of life and allegories too.
I read some Meg Cabot! But not that much. What was that one? All-American Girl or something like that? And maybe a couple other ones, but I can't remember now. I try to read a variety of stuff, but really I don't. It's mostly romance and maybe the odd fantasy or suspense-thriller.

blesses wrote:
I used to borrow a ton of manga and books too. sometimes about 15-20 books at a time so I had to bring a bag for library books or I just stuffed my backpack full of books. No one really cares about the books checked out unless it's a little kid reading it. At my city's library system, we don't have overdue fees either for minors so before I turned 18, I used to check books and not return them for months b/c I borrow so much that I couldn't finish reading them. A few times, I went up to the limit which is 50 books. Now though, all the libraries upgraded and we have self-check out which is faster too so it's so I won't have to worry about strange looks =)
Yeaah! I did that too! Basically, I borrowed as many of them as I could. A lot of times, you had to "reserve" or what's it called? Put on hold! The mangas I were always really popular once they started being offered at the library that you could never find it. I borrowed everything that was available for that series, as long as it was in order. And yes, we had self check-out come in play too! So made things so much more convenient... Until you had issues with scanning the code... Cuz then you had to go to the front desk anyways...

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://mikarysa.livejournal.com/
Nathye
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 296
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : my home xD

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:32 am

aerysa wrote:
blesses wrote:
I used to borrow a ton of manga and books too. sometimes about 15-20 books at a time so I had to bring a bag for library books or I just stuffed my backpack full of books. No one really cares about the books checked out unless it's a little kid reading it. At my city's library system, we don't have overdue fees either for minors so before I turned 18, I used to check books and not return them for months b/c I borrow so much that I couldn't finish reading them. A few times, I went up to the limit which is 50 books. Now though, all the libraries upgraded and we have self-check out which is faster too so it's so I won't have to worry about strange looks =)
Yeaah! I did that too! Basically, I borrowed as many of them as I could. A lot of times, you had to "reserve" or what's it called? Put on hold! The mangas I were always really popular once they started being offered at the library that you could never find it. I borrowed everything that was available for that series, as long as it was in order. And yes, we had self check-out come in play too! So made things so much more convenient... Until you had issues with scanning the code... Cuz then you had to go to the front desk anyways...

The limit for borrowing here is 6 books (at least the last time I checked) and just for 15 days... And well obviously not all the books were to my liking and since it's a small library... I have never really borrowed a manga since I don't remember them having them maybe now they do but I haven't been there for at least a year if not more... so I don't really know. Also I don't think they have self check out either... it's a small library but they are building a new one that's huge and I saw the project and it will look stunning when it's finished Very Happy

_________________
No matter how DARK the night, somehow the SUN rises once again and all the shadows are chased away
Back to top Go down
aerysa
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 600
Join date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:07 am

Nathye wrote:
The limit for borrowing here is 6 books (at least the last time I checked) and just for 15 days... And well obviously not all the books were to my liking and since it's a small library... I have never really borrowed a manga since I don't remember them having them maybe now they do but I haven't been there for at least a year if not more... so I don't really know. Also I don't think they have self check out either... it's a small library but they are building a new one that's huge and I saw the project and it will look stunning when it's finished Very Happy
I guess it depends on where you live then? I live in a big city (at least it's a big city in my country) and we have quite a number of libraries. I don't remember the limit on borrowing items, but it must be at least 20 books. We can also borrow things like CDs, DVDs, and audio books. Each item has their own limit on how many you can borrow at a time. The time limit is 2 weeks and you can renew the items up to 2 times afterwards, as long as no one else has put a hold on it. Otherwise, you need to return it right away.
Ooh, that's pretty awesome that you'll soon have access to a larger library! Very Happy

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://mikarysa.livejournal.com/
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    

Back to top Go down
 
Fifty Shades of Grey
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Fifty Shades of Grey - Official Trailer
» LAINEY GOSSIP: George is basically Christian Grey from the Book 50 Shades of Grey
» 50 Shades of Gray
» Shades of gold
» SS grey color interior from Caprice

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Shojo Manhwa Scans :: DISCUSSIONS :: General-
Jump to: