48% [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 52

AuthorMessage
blesses
Not So New
Not So New

PostSubject: Fifty Shades of Grey    Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:56 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hey guys, so about two months ago I was watching the news and this trilogy caught the eyes of American women across the nation(i don't know about other countries though). I saw a thread like this on mangaupdates and decided to give a swing at creating a discussion with people on sms about it.

I created a poll and allowed cancellation of votes in case people change their minds, such as those who haven't read it end up reading it and have a new opinion.

I heard a few things about it so far such as it was originally a fanfiction based on Twilight and that the characters are kind of one dimensional. So as of right now, I'm "not going to read it." However, I'm open-minded to other people's opinions whether it be good or bad (as long as it doesn't get ugly ie ill mannered language such as swearing).

I probably won't take part in the discussion very much because I haven't read it so it wouldn't be fair to give an opinion (unless I do decide to pick up the book)

Check out the summary on amazon if you haven't heard of it or just google the summary.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Nathye

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:25 am

First when this topic was created like I said before I didn't know the book I hadn't even heard about it... But now It's everywhere: newspapers magazines internet bookstores... I have to confess apart from what I had heard here I didn't know anything else... But recently I have read in a magazine or newspaper (don't remember which) and I was like o.O how can this be one of the best books out there... being compared to Harry Potter and Dan Brown's books ?! I can't say they are wrong because I have not read it and I'm not going to. But there must be something really captivating about this book... I just can't understand what Rolling Eyes

Not So New
Not So New

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:29 pm

Nathye wrote:
First when this topic was created like I said before I didn't know the book I hadn't even heard about it... But now It's everywhere: newspapers magazines internet bookstores... I have to confess apart from what I had heard here I didn't know anything else... But recently I have read in a magazine or newspaper (don't remember which) and I was like o.O how can this be one of the best books out there... being compared to Harry Potter and Dan Brown's books ?! I can't say they are wrong because I have not read it and I'm not going to. But there must be something really captivating about this book... I just can't understand what Rolling Eyes

Am I seeing things right....did I read "compared to Harry Potter and Dan Brown"??? I don't know what to say...except WTH! Let me get this...a series whose audience is middle aged women is being compared to series that are read by practically a universal audience?!?! o.O Are these people blind? If anything, people should compare crap with crap (excuse me for the language) ie this with twilgiht! There is absolutely nothing captivating about this book. I read the reviews on amazon. Look at all the one stars and you'll really see what this book is about. I think people like it b/c the language is very simplistic.
Back to top Go down
Nathye

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:55 pm

blesses wrote:

Am I seeing things right....did I read "compared to Harry Potter and Dan Brown"??? I don't know what to say...except WTH! Let me get this...a series whose audience is middle aged women is being compared to series that are read by practically a universal audience?!?! o.O Are these people blind? If anything, people should compare crap with crap (excuse me for the language) ie this with twilgiht! There is absolutely nothing captivating about this book. I read the reviews on amazon. Look at all the one stars and you'll really see what this book is about. I think people like it b/c the language is very simplistic.

I think the reason for the comparison is because of the sales not the language or quality. Well if it sells then that mean something Maybe there are a lot of people that like that kind of stories. I think the books have been selling really well especially in US but now it has been taking over the rest like Europe.

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:29 pm

Nathye wrote:
I think the reason for the comparison is because of the sales not the language or quality. Well if it sells then that mean something Maybe there are a lot of people that like that kind of stories. I think the books have been selling really well especially in US but now it has been taking over the rest like Europe.
If you're comparing it based on that, then it makes sense... It's making the same waves as Twilight with all the hype around it. It might just be for the sake that people want to get a glimpse into what's so "captivating" about it - like following trends. But yeah, the sales of a book is not equated to the quality of a book.

blesses wrote:
I think people like it b/c the language is very simplistic.
That's really pathetically sad... It's also a reflection of the state of education nowadays...

Saying this based on the fanfiction world, where I know not everyone is a native English speaker, but even those who are suffer from the lack of basic grammatical knowledge and spelling (along with laziness). Like my friend complains about, "What do kids learn in schools nowadays?!"

There's so much more to books than just simplistic writing. Simplistic writing is supposed to be for children who don't know how to read yet. I mean, you can find YA (young adult) books that don't suffer from this issue and are excellent in captivating the audience. It loses the beauty of the written language. (haha, yes, I'm a writing snob. I will admit that.)

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:07 pm

aerysa wrote:

blesses wrote:
I think people like it b/c the language is very simplistic.
That's really pathetically sad... It's also a reflection of the state of education nowadays...

Saying this based on the fanfiction world, where I know not everyone is a native English speaker, but even those who are suffer from the lack of basic grammatical knowledge and spelling (along with laziness). Like my friend complains about, "What do kids learn in schools nowadays?!"

There's so much more to books than just simplistic writing. Simplistic writing is supposed to be for children who don't know how to read yet. I mean, you can find YA (young adult) books that don't suffer from this issue and are excellent in captivating the audience. It loses the beauty of the written language. (haha, yes, I'm a writing snob. I will admit that.)

I agree with you there... It's a very sad day when people can't read or write good clear sentences... My mum was relating to me about a friend's son was looking for a job and she suggested teaching in a Chinese medium school, since he was from such a school. The boy said that wasn't possible because he hasn't written in Chinese (Mandarin) for so long he can't remember and his (written and spoken) English and Malay are also bad... I really wonder what these kids do when they leave school... I mean here we are given the chance to learn at least two different languages in school, and the option to learn others as well. Why are they wasting it?
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:23 pm

silvery wrote:
I agree with you there... It's a very sad day when people can't read or write good clear sentences... My mum was relating to me about a friend's son was looking for a job and she suggested teaching in a Chinese medium school, since he was from such a school. The boy said that wasn't possible because he hasn't written in Chinese (Mandarin) for so long he can't remember and his (written and spoken) English and Malay are also bad... I really wonder what these kids do when they leave school... I mean here we are given the chance to learn at least two different languages in school, and the option to learn others as well. Why are they wasting it?
Ooh, it's like that for me with my Chinese since I quit Chinese school partway through... ^^;; I can speak it, but not read and well... I can "copy", but I wouldn't actually be able to write in the sense of forming my own sentences.

Languages is one of those things... If you don't use it, you lose it. And especially when you're young, you don't realize the importance of it. It's like an extra suffering to learn languages. It's when you're older (and it's more difficult) that you realize it was a good idea. I know I regret that I can't read any Chinese. I can, but just the really basic ones and not enough to get even an understanding of what's written Crying or Very sad

So yeah, it's one of those things that you retain more when you're "immersed" in it - at least have someone to talk to or read/listen to things in that language.

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:36 pm

I still remember learning french but that is all. if I really wanted to speak I can't do it anymore. Maybe I can still read or understand when listening but it's very little. As for English if I don't practice for a while I even forget about some things.

I think that happens with all the languages when they are not practiced. I would love to learn some other languages but I am somewhat scared of not being able to do it... And since I don't have much time I just stay as it is.

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:44 pm

I suppose I'm fortunate because I can switch language quite easily. And that I'm in an environment where we use more than one language in our day to day communication. My Japanese is somewhat rusty due to lack of use, but I still watch and listen to Japanese shows and songs, and read manga in Japanese. And when there's no one to call me crazy, speak to myself in that language too Laughing
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:49 pm

OOoh, well in my home environment, I can easily switch between English and Chinese since that's what I use with my parents. But otherwise, it's all English everywhere else.

haha, that's awesome that you talk to yourself in Japanese. That's the one language I really want to learn! (Blame it on the anime/manga culture.) And well, I guess to be fluent in Chinese since that IS my native language... But I actually understand bits and pieces since I like listening to Japanese music. And recently got into drama CDs... haha.

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:45 pm

I have to, if I don't want to consider my three years pursuing a degree a waste Wink
But I agree with you on the understanding Japanese after a while if you have a Chinese background. Quite a number of the words sound similar in both languages (numbers for instance) so it helps in understanding and remembering the words.
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:31 pm

Oooh... Well, I never took any formal training for Japanese, unless you count a month of learning... XD So yeah, didn't actually learn THAT much. Forgot it all I'm sure.
But yeah, it helps when you know similar languages since the structure between Japanese and Chinese is similar. Oftentimes, I know what words means because I recognize it, but I have NO clue how to read it... haha! And I took a couple years of Mandarin (I speak Cantonese) when I was in high school. So some words, I know how to read them in Mandarin, but not Cantonese... Laughing
When it comes to languages, it seems like my brain just jumbles them all up.

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:21 pm

Haha, it happens to me too... only for me it's: I know how to pronounce this in Japanese, but I am not sure about in Mandarin... Nowadays, I watch Mandarin shows with Mandarin subtitles at the bottom... I try to understand what's being said and which word corresponds with what's being said... tricky but doable... of course, I end up not looking at what's being featured... ^_^;;
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:01 am

Oooh! I do that when I watch TV with my mom cuz she likes watching those Chinese dramas! Except what they say doesn't necessarily follow what's written since we understand Cantonese. I try to pick up more kanji, but yeah... It's hard Razz End up staring at the captions more than you do the actual movie parts though... So you end up missing stuff that happens. ha!

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:02 pm

I think that works best when you're watching singing or variety shows... nothing much to look at, unless the singer also happens to be a piece of eye candy Laughing I doubt I'd be able to do that with movies, especially since there are also English subtitles as well.
Back to top Go down
lidofarieangel
Cool User
Cool User

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:11 pm

I can't stand the writing and the non existed storyline. I could not understand why it's so popular and so many similar rated R books became top 10 best sellers... It boggles me....
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:18 pm

Haha, well, they do say that sex sells. I suppose it calls on the darker part of the human mind that want to delve into the things society considers a taboo.
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:15 am

silvery wrote:
Haha, well, they do say that sex sells. I suppose it calls on the darker part of the human mind that want to delve into the things society considers a taboo.
haha... So true! Look at all the commercials and ads you see... Even if it's completely unrelated you'll see some beautiful woman or handsome man... Selling a broom or something... Laughing

But yeah, it's still really boggling... It's not even well done, so I mean even if erotic novels are going to hit the best sellers list, can't it be something better written? Is there such a thing? XD

(BTW, I am not dead. Just busy-slash-lazy. Feeling too much a bum lately to get involved here. I'll try to participate more actively Razz)

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:51 am

aerysa wrote:

haha... So true! Look at all the commercials and ads you see... Even if it's completely unrelated you'll see some beautiful woman or handsome man... Selling a broom or something... Laughing

But yeah, it's still really boggling... It's not even well done, so I mean even if erotic novels are going to hit the best sellers list, can't it be something better written? Is there such a thing? XD

(BTW, I am not dead. Just busy-slash-lazy. Feeling too much a bum lately to get involved here. I'll try to participate more actively Razz)

Brooms may be a little much but yes, I know what you mean. I think that's why ads that make an impression on me are the ones where there's humour or the unexpected twist. Or one where the jingle's catchy.

I'm not sure. But I read somewhere that Anne Rice (author of Interview with the vampire) wrote some S&M books. She wrote them under a pseudonym, I think. Those might have been better executed.

Don't worry about not being active here, I'm the same. We'll be back once we're ready and refreshed (in my case anyway)
Back to top Go down
shinjou
Cool User
Cool User

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:37 am

this is late for me to reply, but my opinion of this book, despite my attempt to read past chapter 6, i still find most of my josei manga to be more interesting than this book. i dont know why it becomes a best seller, but obviously, people love dramas. i hope i dont offend anyone, but i think it's like the hype of twilight and hunger games, who's been said as the greatest books for teens or whatever, but for me it's like.. "rip off from this series." or "maan.. that series is so much better than that book" etc. it's not so much about the erotism (my friend actually read it and feel.. 'meh..' about the book and give us a whole overview of the book) but i think about how the character evolves as the story goes, but i also think, the woman protagonist is like the typical tsundere, self-denial personality, while the male protagonist is like the super bishie we ideally wish all in our lives, kind of like the guy in midnight secretary (if you havent read it, it's the manga by oomi tohmu).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:57 am

silvery wrote:

I'm not sure. But I read somewhere that Anne Rice (author of Interview with the vampire) wrote some S&M books. She wrote them under a pseudonym, I think. Those might have been better executed.

Yes, there are several books by Anne Rice about BDSM. She's written Sleeping Beauty Trilogy under pseudonym A.N. Roquelaure, Exit to Eden (under her real name) and Belinda (this one about Pedophilia Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation and her first book under pseudonym Anne Rampling)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:22 am

I did read fifty shades of grey ( i did not buy it, just downloaded for free wich is illegal...) and i also read twilight. I really don't see the link between tho two books ( except that's a love story although there's much more sex in fifty...). Sometimes, the main character only frustrated me: i mean, in her place, i really would have killed the guy so many times, nice guy or not. I think turning it into a movie is too much....I mean there are so many sex scenes, it would actually be a porn movie..... Well, that's all i had to say
Back to top Go down
jadegreentiger

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:31 pm

I started reading Fifty Shades of Gray and I stopped when they got to the contract part. I was shocked - I like to read HQs, so I did not think I would mind Fifty Shades of Gray and thought it would be similar to Sex in the City. I was wrong, shocked, and stopped reading - I am not interested in any type of SPOILER (***bondage story***). I wanted to return the book on my kindle and that was the one book I could not return for a refund.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:16 am

I won't read it cause it is a bit for mature readers. I am already 18
but I would like to stay inocennt, but I read smut, still sm is too much for me.
and my little sister also reads everything I read and she should be my little sweet sister.
Back to top Go down
rayghiemay

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:19 am

i've read the fifty shades trilogy Very Happy bounce

"Fear can only ruin your life if you will allow for it to. In our lives we can try to bypass our fears by staying away from them as much as possible, but to truly conquer each fear we must step up to it, and take it on. We can only defeat something if we are willing to compete against it, and with a strong heart, a determined attitude, and an unbreakable will, there is nothing in this world we can't defeat if we give it our all."

afro
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:01 pm

A friend recommend the book, so I'll read it any time soon. What I heard from her was that the book is very explicit when it comes to the sex relationship between the main characters. I believe that behind all that sex there must be kind of a psychologincal trauma that might expling the characters behavior. So that's why, I decided to give it a shot. But, if I find the book to intense, I might stop reading it. I really am not into BDSM.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    

Back to top Go down

Fifty Shades of Grey
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next