48% [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 52

AuthorMessage
blesses
Not So New
Not So New

PostSubject: Fifty Shades of Grey    Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:56 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hey guys, so about two months ago I was watching the news and this trilogy caught the eyes of American women across the nation(i don't know about other countries though). I saw a thread like this on mangaupdates and decided to give a swing at creating a discussion with people on sms about it.

I created a poll and allowed cancellation of votes in case people change their minds, such as those who haven't read it end up reading it and have a new opinion.

I heard a few things about it so far such as it was originally a fanfiction based on Twilight and that the characters are kind of one dimensional. So as of right now, I'm "not going to read it." However, I'm open-minded to other people's opinions whether it be good or bad (as long as it doesn't get ugly ie ill mannered language such as swearing).

I probably won't take part in the discussion very much because I haven't read it so it wouldn't be fair to give an opinion (unless I do decide to pick up the book)

Check out the summary on amazon if you haven't heard of it or just google the summary.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:32 pm

aerysa wrote:
Nathye wrote:
The limit for borrowing here is 6 books (at least the last time I checked) and just for 15 days... And well obviously not all the books were to my liking and since it's a small library... I have never really borrowed a manga since I don't remember them having them maybe now they do but I haven't been there for at least a year if not more... so I don't really know. Also I don't think they have self check out either... it's a small library but they are building a new one that's huge and I saw the project and it will look stunning when it's finished Very Happy
I guess it depends on where you live then? I live in a big city (at least it's a big city in my country) and we have quite a number of libraries. I don't remember the limit on borrowing items, but it must be at least 20 books. We can also borrow things like CDs, DVDs, and audio books. Each item has their own limit on how many you can borrow at a time. The time limit is 2 weeks and you can renew the items up to 2 times afterwards, as long as no one else has put a hold on it. Otherwise, you need to return it right away.
Ooh, that's pretty awesome that you'll soon have access to a larger library! Very Happy

Sadly, I haven't been to the public library in a very long time. We have manga libraries (where you rent the books or pay a small fee to read there) but the books are all in Mandarin and I can't read Mandarin (even though sadly, I'm Chinese). I used to borrow Japanese manga (can't read Mandarin but Japanese is fine. Strange, isn't it? Wink ) from the Japan Foundation but have not been there since I moved. Now I rely on the internet or buy the books I want.
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:49 pm

silvery wrote:
Sadly, I haven't been to the public library in a very long time. We have manga libraries (where you rent the books or pay a small fee to read there) but the books are all in Mandarin and I can't read Mandarin (even though sadly, I'm Chinese). I used to borrow Japanese manga (can't read Mandarin but Japanese is fine. Strange, isn't it? Wink ) from the Japan Foundation but have not been there since I moved. Now I rely on the internet or buy the books I want.
Me too!! I haven't been to the library ages. I'm also Chinese! That's so cool! Very Happy
Sadly, I don't know how to read Chinese either... I recognize various characters, but not enough to be fluent. I can kind-of read Japanese. I think hirigana/katakana is way easier to read than blocks of kanji!
Anyways, our public libraries have copies of the licensed manga so I read all of it in English. Considering the small membership fee, it was really awesome. You can read as many books as you want in a year and not even have to keep them since they take up so much space.

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:02 pm

aerysa wrote:

Me too!! I haven't been to the library ages. I'm also Chinese! That's so cool! Very Happy
Sadly, I don't know how to read Chinese either... I recognize various characters, but not enough to be fluent. I can kind-of read Japanese. I think hirigana/katakana is way easier to read than blocks of kanji!
Anyways, our public libraries have copies of the licensed manga so I read all of it in English. Considering the small membership fee, it was really awesome. You can read as many books as you want in a year and not even have to keep them since they take up so much space.

I agree Very Happy I'm currently learning how to read Chinese from song lyrics but it's slow of course. Yeah, Hiragana and Katakana help a lot when you're reading, but it can be confusing when you want to guess the spelling of a person's name (that has been katakana'ed)
I also know what you mean about the space thing. I have problems throwing out/giving away my books so I have to be very sure I'm going to like a book before I buy it. This is also why I love online manga reading sites.
Back to top Go down
blesses
Not So New
Not So New

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:44 pm

Yeah, depends on where you live and also on whether or not the library is an important part of the community. I live in a small city geographically but we have a lot of people living here. It's a melting pot of people though so it's nice and diverse. We have a main library system with a library in all the different districts of the city. Some smaller, some larger and the main library is AMAZING, tons of floors and modern architecture, with a bookstore in it too. We can reserve items online and put them on hold too but only up to 15.

I'm glad that Nathye will have a larger library to access soon. I'm sure you'll be tempted to borrow lots of books too.

Lol. Chinese too. I can speak and kind of read. But T.T no knowledge of japanese of any kind so you guys are lucky xp

We also have japanese manga cafes where you can sit and read but have to pay a fee every hour. But the only one I know of is in a place we call "Japantown".

Back then when Borders was still alive, a lot of people used to sit at border like it was a library and read manga b/c they weren't shrink wrapped with plastic like most stores do. I was never one of those people but a lot of people used to sit and read manga there as well as other books. Some would buy the books and just return them within 30 days in good condition. (was never one of those people though)

Yeah space...they do take up a lot of space. Though of those mangas that I have are the ones that I want like silvery. I would also love to buy mangas but I'm dependent on my parents so they hate it when I buy and read manga. But that also gives me a chance to buy almost any book that I want as long as it's not manga =) ( really need to give away lots of children's books for my growing library.) I would love to buy certain series of mangas though like Kare Kano, W Juliet, Swan, etc

It's why I'm so appreciative to scanlators and dont' like to complain about quicker updates because it's not easy to scan, clean, translate, typeset, and edit. Just a few pages but they really take up a lot of time.
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:31 pm

blesses wrote:
Yeah, depends on where you live and also on whether or not the library is an important part of the community. I live in a small city geographically but we have a lot of people living here. It's a melting pot of people though so it's nice and diverse. We have a main library system with a library in all the different districts of the city. Some smaller, some larger and the main library is AMAZING, tons of floors and modern architecture, with a bookstore in it too. We can reserve items online and put them on hold too but only up to 15.

I'm glad that Nathye will have a larger library to access soon. I'm sure you'll be tempted to borrow lots of books too.

so would I. If I were placed in a library like that, you may need a search party to go get me...

blesses wrote:
Lol. Chinese too. I can speak and kind of read. But T.T no knowledge of japanese of any kind so you guys are lucky xp

Well, I live in a multiracial/multilingual country. We have to learn languages fast or you'd end up being very very confused. So for me, learning languages is a knack

blesses wrote:
Back then when Borders was still alive, a lot of people used to sit at border like it was a library and read manga b/c they weren't shrink wrapped with plastic like most stores do. I was never one of those people but a lot of people used to sit and read manga there as well as other books. Some would buy the books and just return them within 30 days in good condition. (was never one of those people though)

Ugh, nothing kills a bookstore faster than people who do that. I think that's why the stores here have a shorter return length and you have to have a plausible reason (missing pages etc)

blesses wrote:
Yeah space...they do take up a lot of space. Though of those mangas that I have are the ones that I want like silvery. I would also love to buy mangas but I'm dependent on my parents so they hate it when I buy and read manga. But that also gives me a chance to buy almost any book that I want as long as it's not manga =) ( really need to give away lots of children's books for my growing library.) I would love to buy certain series of mangas though like Kare Kano, W Juliet, Swan, etc

It's why I'm so appreciative to scanlators and dont' like to complain about quicker updates because it's not easy to scan, clean, translate, typeset, and edit. Just a few pages but they really take up a lot of time.

My parents didn't like my manga reading when I was younger too. Until I pointed out to my mother that I was in University doing a degree on Japanese Language was because I was inspired by manga. And since I'm working and buying my manga from my own pocket, she's more or less given up. She still complains when we bring back books but at least she can get a tax rebate on the books Smile
I used to do translations for groups too (until my computer went crazy and I got too busy). I definitely appreciate all the hard work going into getting us releases.
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:27 am

silvery wrote:
I agree Very Happy I'm currently learning how to read Chinese from song lyrics but it's slow of course. Yeah, Hiragana and Katakana help a lot when you're reading, but it can be confusing when you want to guess the spelling of a person's name (that has been katakana'ed)
I also know what you mean about the space thing. I have problems throwing out/giving away my books so I have to be very sure I'm going to like a book before I buy it. This is also why I love online manga reading sites.
Ooh... I don't listen to Chinese songs, so I wouldn't be able to do that. I was learning a bit of Japanese since I was there Smile And I do a bit of translation mainly for songs that I want to know the lyrics to, yet no one has done the translation for. The less popular songs.
And yesss! I'm so picky with manga/books! It takes up a lot of room which I don't have a lot of, so I'll only buy a manga series if I like it, and also if I know it'll be completed. I really dislike it when a series is dropped and I'm missing books. That happened when I bought 07-Ghost Evil or Very Mad

blesses wrote:
I can only speak and kind of read Chinese. You never tried to learn Japanese? I think it would be easier if we knew how to read Chinese, but alas... At least hirigana and katakana are easier to pick up.

blesses wrote:
We also have japanese manga cafes where you can sit and read but have to pay a fee every hour. But the only one I know of is in a place we call "Japantown".
Oh, that's neat! I never have anything like that, though really... Nowadays, why would you need to with the internet? Neutral

blesses wrote:
Embarassed Embarassed I'm one of those people! Well, reading the manga in store. I would never buy a book and return it after reading it. I've only returned a book once in my life and that was because I already had it. So I just "exchanged" it. You know, return the book but buy something else.

blesses wrote:
Me too! It takes me a few hours at least when I try to translate song lyrics, so I know how much effort goes into that and they translate chapters and volumes! Not to mention, without them, there are sooo many series that I would never be able to read.

silvery wrote:
My parents didn't like my manga reading when I was younger too. Until I pointed out to my mother that I was in University doing a degree on Japanese Language was because I was inspired by manga. And since I'm working and buying my manga from my own pocket, she's more or less given up. She still complains when we bring back books but at least she can get a tax rebate on the books Smile
I used to do translations for groups too (until my computer went crazy and I got too busy). I definitely appreciate all the hard work going into getting us releases.
Ahaha! Is it an Asian parent thing? My mom was like that about us reading comics and watching anime. Always the "you're grown up now... you shouldn't be wasting your time reading comic books and watching cartoons..." It never changed anything since we still do. She's gotten over it. But yes, we buy things with our own money so they can't really say anything.

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:36 am

aerysa wrote:
Nathye wrote:
The limit for borrowing here is 6 books (at least the last time I checked) and just for 15 days... And well obviously not all the books were to my liking and since it's a small library... I have never really borrowed a manga since I don't remember them having them maybe now they do but I haven't been there for at least a year if not more... so I don't really know. Also I don't think they have self check out either... it's a small library but they are building a new one that's huge and I saw the project and it will look stunning when it's finished Very Happy
I guess it depends on where you live then? I live in a big city (at least it's a big city in my country) and we have quite a number of libraries. I don't remember the limit on borrowing items, but it must be at least 20 books. We can also borrow things like CDs, DVDs, and audio books. Each item has their own limit on how many you can borrow at a time. The time limit is 2 weeks and you can renew the items up to 2 times afterwards, as long as no one else has put a hold on it. Otherwise, you need to return it right away.
Ooh, that's pretty awesome that you'll soon have access to a larger library! Very Happy

Yes I now live in a small (more or less) city almost countryside Very Happy
Yes it is great. They also have CDs, DVDs but I don't know if they have the audio books.

silvery wrote:

Sadly I haven't either. But when they open the new one I hope to spend more time there Very Happy But I don't think that will happen since it's easy to buy or just find in the internet, it's also the fast way to do it.

silvery wrote:
aerysa wrote:

You guys are so lucky I would love to speak Japanese. I know a few words not I can't read or write. I know the by listening to songs or animes but it's pretty basic. It looks so difficult to learn

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:38 am

@blesses I wish I had a "Japantown" or something around here. The only thing we normally do is meetings between the anime and manga community around the country some times during the year we can buy and exchange things we also learn a lot of things. So its nothing like "Japantown" but it's the closest to it (and not being a library)

aerysa wrote:
blesses wrote:
Me too! It takes me a few hours at least when I try to translate song lyrics, so I know how much effort goes into that and they translate chapters and volumes! Not to mention, without them, there are sooo many series that I would never be able to read.
Once I applied to be part in a group as a translator and I can tell it's a hard job it's not easy and it takes time. I had to stop doing translations because of the time that I needed to for to do other things like study.

aerysa wrote:
silvery wrote:
Ahaha! Is it an Asian parent thing? My mom was like that about us reading comics and watching anime. Always the "you're grown up now... you shouldn't be wasting your time reading comic books and watching cartoons..." It never changed anything since we still do. She's gotten over it. But yes, we buy things with our own money so they can't really say anything.

Well the true is... I always when wanted to buy a cartoon or manga would buy it my mom never said that I couldn't. I have never exaggerated, never bought to much, I will actually say that I normally would buy to little. I don't buy them anymore I prefer normal books for a simple reason the mangas that I want have not been translated to my country. I don't really have a choice -.-'

(I used 2 posts cause one looked huge, hope you don't mind ^^)

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:20 pm

aerysa wrote:

Ooh... I don't listen to Chinese songs, so I wouldn't be able to do that. I was learning a bit of Japanese since I was there Smile And I do a bit of translation mainly for songs that I want to know the lyrics to, yet no one has done the translation for. The less popular songs.
And yesss! I'm so picky with manga/books! It takes up a lot of room which I don't have a lot of, so I'll only buy a manga series if I like it, and also if I know it'll be completed. I really dislike it when a series is dropped and I'm missing books. That happened when I bought 07-Ghost Evil or Very Mad

That happened to me and the local editions of MAR! I finished reading it online but it's depressing when you have gaps in your collection... Which is why I tend to just go to Kinokuniya and getting the original mangas (in Japanese). My brother complains a lot when I do(his Japanese level is very basic) that and it's way more expensive(about four times in comparison with the local publications) but at least I know I can get the store to order the books for me when I can't find it.

aerysa wrote:
blesses wrote:
I can only speak and kind of read Chinese. You never tried to learn Japanese? I think it would be easier if we knew how to read Chinese, but alas... At least hirigana and katakana are easier to pick up.

Lol, when I started learning Japanese, I had less problems with the kanji in comparison with my coursemates who understood Chinese (even though I could remember less). I think it was because they mixed the Japanese and Chinese meanings (same characters different meaning). I also think it has to do with heart. When I was given the chance to learn it, I was really happy and did my best. Some of my other coursemates thought it was a cakewalk (since our first semester was easy) and their grades in the later semesters suffered because of that.

aerysa wrote:

Must be. They appear to worry about us wasting time when we can be doing other more constructive things (like studying to get into a university and becoming a professional). But luckily over the years, she's come to accept that it's better for us to be at home reading comics (and building models in my brother's case) than for us to be out partying till late at night Wink
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:26 am

Nathye wrote:
Sadly I haven't either. But when they open the new one I hope to spend more time there Very Happy But I don't think that will happen since it's easy to buy or just find in the internet, it's also the fast way to do it.
I used to go a lot when I was in school since I would have to take the bus every day. So reading a book was a nice way to spend that time. But now that I work, I drive so I can't exactly read and drive at the same time... Laughing

Nathye wrote:
You guys are so lucky I would love to speak Japanese. I know a few words not I can't read or write. I know the by listening to songs or animes but it's pretty basic. It looks so difficult to learn
Lol, I'm actually quite terrible at speaking Japanese because I never do. But I can understand bits and pieces and it's really "smooth" when I listen to it since I listen to Japanese music so much. Like for the most part, I'm able to separate the words and sometimes understand small phrases.

Nathye wrote:
@blesses I wish I had a "Japantown" or something around here. The only thing we normally do is meetings between the anime and manga community around the country some times during the year we can buy and exchange things we also learn a lot of things. So its nothing like "Japantown" but it's the closest to it (and not being a library)
Oh, that's still pretty cool that there are meeting for it! I think there were clubs for it when I was in university, but I never joined or anything like that. And once a year, they put on a convention, but it's pretty small so I never go.

Nathye wrote:
Once I applied to be part in a group as a translator and I can tell it's a hard job it's not easy and it takes time. I had to stop doing translations because of the time that I needed to for to do other things like study.
Unless you're completely fluent in both languages, I think it takes a lot of time - especially when you want to make sure you get it right!

Nathye wrote:
Well the true is... I always when wanted to buy a cartoon or manga would buy it my mom never said that I couldn't. I have never exaggerated, never bought to much, I will actually say that I normally would buy to little. I don't buy them anymore I prefer normal books for a simple reason the mangas that I want have not been translated to my country. I don't really have a choice -.-'
I get that. There are some series I would love to get, but they're only scanlated series so I wouldn't be able to buy them in my own language. I guess in the long run, you save money though... Razz

silvery wrote:
That happened to me and the local editions of MAR! I finished reading it online but it's depressing when you have gaps in your collection... Which is why I tend to just go to Kinokuniya and getting the original mangas (in Japanese). My brother complains a lot when I do(his Japanese level is very basic) that and it's way more expensive(about four times in comparison with the local publications) but at least I know I can get the store to order the books for me when I can't find it.
I always hear about Kinokuniya, but I don't have anything like that here! Sad And yeees! It's so annoying when you're missing something! I bought vol 3, not realizing that the company which licensed it went under... So there was no way it would have been complete, even if I managed to get my hands on the 1st 2 volumes.
Buying them raw is super expensive!! I've thought about it, but I really wouldn't be able to read it, so it would just be a waste of money.

silvery wrote:
Lol, when I started learning Japanese, I had less problems with the kanji in comparison with my coursemates who understood Chinese (even though I could remember less). I think it was because they mixed the Japanese and Chinese meanings (same characters different meaning). I also think it has to do with heart. When I was given the chance to learn it, I was really happy and did my best. Some of my other coursemates thought it was a cakewalk (since our first semester was easy) and their grades in the later semesters suffered because of that.
Laughing I get mixed up like that too!! It's really funny because I know bits of Mandarin, bits of Japanese and Cantonese... So sometimes I read stuff and I'll recognize it in one language (how it's spoken) and completely blank on others... Really strange like that. And yes, languages is one of those things that you really need to apply yourself at to learn properly.

silvery wrote:
Must be. They appear to worry about us wasting time when we can be doing other more constructive things (like studying to get into a university and becoming a professional). But luckily over the years, she's come to accept that it's better for us to be at home reading comics (and building models in my brother's case) than for us to be out partying till late at night Wink
So true, so true! It was always "if you have to time to read comics, then you should be studying... I don't see you working that hard when it comes to school..." Razz

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:31 pm

aerysa wrote:

I used to go a lot when I was in school since I would have to take the bus every day. So reading a book was a nice way to spend that time. But now that I work, I drive so I can't exactly read and drive at the same time... Laughing

I know exactly what you mean. I used to go everywhere with a book... well, I still do, except to the office since reading and driving is dangerous... Wink

aerysa wrote:

Oh, that's still pretty cool that there are meeting for it! I think there were clubs for it when I was in university, but I never joined or anything like that. And once a year, they put on a convention, but it's pretty small so I never go.

Wow, it makes me think that my country has embraced the manga anime lifestyle. I just went to a con last weekend, and there's always one being held, either university level ones that grew famous or properly planned, with sponsors and advertisers big ones.

aerysa wrote:
Nathye wrote:
Unless you're completely fluent in both languages, I think it takes a lot of time - especially when you want to make sure you get it right!

That's right. It's frustrating when you want to get it accurate and at the same time you want it to make sense. When I was a university student, you could tell we were linguistics students because of all the dictionaries we were lugging about...

aerysa wrote:

I get that. There are some series I would love to get, but they're only scanlated series so I wouldn't be able to buy them in my own language. I guess in the long run, you save money though... Razz

=_=; I wish that worked with me. Can't find it in my own language? go get the original in Japanese because I have just got to have it... bye bye savings...

aerysa wrote:

Laughing I get mixed up like that too!! It's really funny because I know bits of Mandarin, bits of Japanese and Cantonese... So sometimes I read stuff and I'll recognize it in one language (how it's spoken) and completely blank on others... Really strange like that. And yes, languages is one of those things that you really need to apply yourself at to learn properly.

It happens to me too. I'd look at the word, going "I know this, it's..." and then realize that I'd said it in Japanese when the word is in Mandarin context. But since my mother's been encouraging me to improve my Mandarin, to hey with awkward pauses and mistakes...

aerysa wrote:

So true, so true! It was always "if you have to time to read comics, then you should be studying... I don't see you working that hard when it comes to school..." Razz

haha, I remember there was one time when my brother and I were both facing major exams and we didn't appear to be studying, my mother confiscated all our manga and hid them. Didn't work... we found them less than a week later and since she and my dad worked, we read them in secret when they weren't in. Luckily we still did ok in the exams...
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:19 pm

silvery wrote:
Wow, it makes me think that my country has embraced the manga anime lifestyle. I just went to a con last weekend, and there's always one being held, either university level ones that grew famous or properly planned, with sponsors and advertisers big ones.
I think slowly we are, but really... It's a huge country in terms of land mass and small in terms of population. Nowhere near the population density that other countries have.

silvery wrote:
That's right. It's frustrating when you want to get it accurate and at the same time you want it to make sense. When I was a university student, you could tell we were linguistics students because of all the dictionaries we were lugging about...
That's one of the main problems I have when I translate lyrics! Like getting it close to what it really is, but still translating it in an accurate, flowy sort of way. But gosh... Dictionaries... Shocked

silvery wrote:
=_=; I wish that worked with me. Can't find it in my own language? go get the original in Japanese because I have just got to have it... bye bye savings...
haha, that's a pretty terrible uh, addiction... I have a few raws, but I never touch them so I decided not to waste money that way. Of course the world wide web totally helps since you can find lots there.

silvery wrote:
It happens to me too. I'd look at the word, going "I know this, it's..." and then realize that I'd said it in Japanese when the word is in Mandarin context. But since my mother's been encouraging me to improve my Mandarin, to hey with awkward pauses and mistakes...
Ooh... Well I'm not that good at Japanese XD I only recognize them, but not know the pronunciation that well. As for speaking, I'm pretty fluent considering I didn't grow up in HK. Helps that we actually use it at home.

silvery wrote:
haha, I remember there was one time when my brother and I were both facing major exams and we didn't appear to be studying, my mother confiscated all our manga and hid them. Didn't work... we found them less than a week later and since she and my dad worked, we read them in secret when they weren't in. Luckily we still did ok in the exams...
Oh my gooosh! I remember doing that with Archie comics! (Another thing I was really into when I was younger.) Except I would read them when I'm supposed to be practicing piano... I have no idea what I was thinking Rolling Eyes Like obviously, my mom can tell I'm not practicing since there's no music! She got super mad, like Evil or Very Mad mad at me.... Sad Embarassed Never did that again.

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:08 pm

aerysa wrote:

That's one of the main problems I have when I translate lyrics! Like getting it close to what it really is, but still translating it in an accurate, flowy sort of way. But gosh... Dictionaries... Shocked

lol, we also have other languages at the faculty including Italian, Spanish, German and French. And some of the lecturers are native speakers who refuse to use English to explain. A dictionary was your best friend.

aerysa wrote:

haha, that's a pretty terrible uh, addiction... I have a few raws, but I never touch them so I decided not to waste money that way. Of course the world wide web totally helps since you can find lots there.

Thank you. It's a bad addiction actually. Good thing I have to travel quite a bit to go to Kinokuniya, else I don't think anyone would be happy with me... I don't mind raws, but nothing beats curling up in bed with a book...

aerysa wrote:

Ooh... Well I'm not that good at Japanese XD I only recognize them, but not know the pronunciation that well. As for speaking, I'm pretty fluent considering I didn't grow up in HK. Helps that we actually use it at home.

I think so too! My parents are trying to use mandarin and dialects with us, after more than twenty years of using English. Not easy. But we have to try before we forget.

aerysa wrote:

Oh my gooosh! I remember doing that with Archie comics! (Another thing I was really into when I was younger.) Except I would read them when I'm supposed to be practicing piano... I have no idea what I was thinking Rolling Eyes Like obviously, my mom can tell I'm not practicing since there's no music! She got super mad, like Evil or Very Mad mad at me.... Sad Embarassed Never did that again.

Ooooh, that must've been hard. Well, my parents had to work, so my brother and I pretty much ran wild in the house when they weren't in. But you can imagine the panic when my parents came home earlier than expected. Razz
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:27 am

silvery wrote:
lol, we also have other languages at the faculty including Italian, Spanish, German and French. And some of the lecturers are native speakers who refuse to use English to explain. A dictionary was your best friend.
Uggh... That's terrible. I don't know how anyone is expected to learn anything that way Rolling Eyes It's one thing if you were in an advanced class, but otherwise... Actually, a coworker was just saying that today about his daughter. She was taking Spanish for her degree and she ended up failing the class (Beginners 2) because her instructor refused to speak in English. Like ookay... Evil or Very Mad

silvery wrote:
Thank you. It's a bad addiction actually. Good thing I have to travel quite a bit to go to Kinokuniya, else I don't think anyone would be happy with me... I don't mind raws, but nothing beats curling up in bed with a book...
True. My practical side just kicks in so it's all good. Especially since I have to pay for it with my own hard-earned money and there are always a ton of things on my wishlist Laughing And yes, agreed about the book thing! I have my Kindle, but it just isn't the same as reading an actual book.

silvery wrote:
I think so too! My parents are trying to use mandarin and dialects with us, after more than twenty years of using English. Not easy. But we have to try before we forget.
My parents were smart! ^^ They knew we would learn English anyways, so they started us young. Not to mention that grandparents didn't know English, so we were forced to speak in Chinese when we visited them. And now, some of my mom's friends don't know English so we have to talk in Chinese with them. It makes a big difference! We talk in "Chinglish" at home Cool Laughing Like half and half... Mostly in Chinese, but we have to switch to English when we can't think of the right terms, so we quite naturally switch back and forth.

silvery wrote:
Ooooh, that must've been hard. Well, my parents had to work, so my brother and I pretty much ran wild in the house when they weren't in. But you can imagine the panic when my parents came home earlier than expected. Razz
haha, only tried it once... And yes! Eventually when we were old enough, we were home alone so we would play and stuff until we hear the garage door open... Then it's like Shocked "Get back to your rooom!!!" XD

And uh... Just to keep this somewhat on topic (since we're TOTALLY off-topic Laughing ) ...
So on the radio station that I listen to, apparently the two host people in the morning were given this book to read. Which is basically how I heard about it. Anyways, the man only read up to page 39 and it has now officially become a coaster Laughing As for the lady, she finally got to chapter 3 or so, which finally leads up to the first "good" (aka smutty/erotic) part.

But up until that point, she was thinking that it was boring and questioning what the book was about. Since it's not my genre at all, I'm only going on other people's opinions. At this point, it seems like it's only hyped about because of the erotic moments...

Though really, since we all agreed that no one is going to read it, does anyone even care?? lol!

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:42 pm

aerysa wrote:

Uggh... That's terrible. I don't know how anyone is expected to learn anything that way Rolling Eyes It's one thing if you were in an advanced class, but otherwise... Actually, a coworker was just saying that today about his daughter. She was taking Spanish for her degree and she ended up failing the class (Beginners 2) because her instructor refused to speak in English. Like ookay... Evil or Very Mad

Actually, I think you learn a language faster if you're continuously exposed to the language. If the instructor switched back to English even once, the students would take advantage of that and will learn slower since they take it for granted that the instructor will use English to explain. You could ask the instructor to slow down or repeat the sentence again (I notice a lot of people are self-conscious when using a language they're not familiar with). Asking the instructor to use English/native language just defeats the purpose of learning the new language, since you only encounter the language in the confines of the classroom. Learning anything is about taking the initiative to learn and not being afraid to make mistakes.

aerysa wrote:

My parents were smart! ^^ They knew we would learn English anyways, so they started us young. Not to mention that grandparents didn't know English, so we were forced to speak in Chinese when we visited them. And now, some of my mom's friends don't know English so we have to talk in Chinese with them. It makes a big difference! We talk in "Chinglish" at home Cool Laughing Like half and half... Mostly in Chinese, but we have to switch to English when we can't think of the right terms, so we quite naturally switch back and forth.

I totally understand the "Chinglish" thing. We do that here too, except we also mix in dialects and then some when we speak, depending on who we speak to.

aerysa wrote:
And uh... Just to keep this somewhat on topic (since we're TOTALLY off-topic Laughing ) ...
So on the radio station that I listen to, apparently the two host people in the morning were given this book to read. Which is basically how I heard about it. Anyways, the man only read up to page 39 and it has now officially become a coaster Laughing As for the lady, she finally got to chapter 3 or so, which finally leads up to the first "good" (aka smutty/erotic) part.

But up until that point, she was thinking that it was boring and questioning what the book was about. Since it's not my genre at all, I'm only going on other people's opinions. At this point, it seems like it's only hyped about because of the erotic moments...

Though really, since we all agreed that no one is going to read it, does anyone even care?? lol!

No, not really. It's a person's right to choose what books he/she wants to read. Since this genre's not my thing either, I don't really care if it receives positive or negative feedback.
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:52 pm

silvery wrote:
Actually, I think you learn a language faster if you're continuously exposed to the language. If the instructor switched back to English even once, the students would take advantage of that and will learn slower since they take it for granted that the instructor will use English to explain. You could ask the instructor to slow down or repeat the sentence again (I notice a lot of people are self-conscious when using a language they're not familiar with). Asking the instructor to use English/native language just defeats the purpose of learning the new language, since you only encounter the language in the confines of the classroom. Learning anything is about taking the initiative to learn and not being afraid to make mistakes.
Well... The fact that you're learning it in a class, it kind of negates the whole "continuously exposed" aspect of it. I mean, if you're just starting to learn a language and the instructor only talks to you in that language before you even learned anything... I don't think you'll learn anything. Anyways, it wasn't my class or anything so yeah Razz

silvery wrote:
I totally understand the "Chinglish" thing. We do that here too, except we also mix in dialects and then some when we speak, depending on who we speak to.
haha, awesome! It's kind of amazing how you don't really think about it either. It just happens because you're so used to that.

silvery wrote:
No, not really. It's a person's right to choose what books he/she wants to read. Since this genre's not my thing either, I don't really care if it receives positive or negative feedback.
Lol, just thought I'd mention it since that was the start of this thread lol!

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:31 pm

aerysa wrote:

Well... The fact that you're learning it in a class, it kind of negates the whole "continuously exposed" aspect of it. I mean, if you're just starting to learn a language and the instructor only talks to you in that language before you even learned anything... I don't think you'll learn anything. Anyways, it wasn't my class or anything so yeah Razz

well, it all depends on the instructor, I guess. But I do remember the time when I was teaching Mandarin speaking children English. The kids didn't want to use English with me
because I'd used Mandarin in class. Luckily I was just a sub.

aerysa wrote:

haha, awesome! It's kind of amazing how you don't really think about it either. It just happens because you're so used to that.

It is. You get so used to switching in and out of a language that you don't notice. but a person who doesn't quite understand you might think you're awesome Razz

aerysa wrote:

Lol, just thought I'd mention it since that was the start of this thread lol!

True. I think blesses gave up trying to keep this conversation on track... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:12 pm

silvery wrote:
well, it all depends on the instructor, I guess. But I do remember the time when I was teaching Mandarin speaking children English. The kids didn't want to use English with me
because I'd used Mandarin in class. Luckily I was just a sub.
Well, I did take a bit of Mandarin when I was in high school, beginners classes (my "native" Chinese is Cantonese), so the teacher would use handouts that had English and Chinese (pinyin & characters) on it. He would go over the pronunciation with us and then we would practice it with other students since it was in dialogue form. The typical conversation, say if you were to go shopping or something. But we didn't know enough to actually talk in Mandarin the whole class.
I guess part of it is the students themselves, like their attitudes, and part of it is how they're taught. I just really think it depends on their level.
A friend of mine said he went to Chinese school before, but he didn't know a word of Chinese. From the beginning, the teacher only used Chinese... So he quickly dropped out and didn't bother.

silvery wrote:
It is. You get so used to switching in and out of a language that you don't notice. but a person who doesn't quite understand you might think you're awesome Razz
haha, so true... We don't really notice either. Well, I know I'm talking in Chinese or English, but my first inclination is to use Chinese with my parents. Then switch to English if I'm not sure. It's nice to practice my Chinese since I mean, I'll use English with everyone else I meet Razz

silvery wrote:
True. I think blesses gave up trying to keep this conversation on track... Rolling Eyes
Laughing The conversation related to the thread topic basically "died" the moment we all said we weren't interested in it. I had to try...

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:11 pm

aerysa wrote:

Well, I did take a bit of Mandarin when I was in high school, beginners classes (my "native" Chinese is Cantonese), so the teacher would use handouts that had English and Chinese (pinyin & characters) on it. He would go over the pronunciation with us and then we would practice it with other students since it was in dialogue form. The typical conversation, say if you were to go shopping or something. But we didn't know enough to actually talk in Mandarin the whole class.
I guess part of it is the students themselves, like their attitudes, and part of it is how they're taught. I just really think it depends on their level.
A friend of mine said he went to Chinese school before, but he didn't know a word of Chinese. From the beginning, the teacher only used Chinese... So he quickly dropped out and didn't bother.

Hmm, then maybe it's just me. I know when I was learning Japanese I picked it up faster than my friends, when my lecturer was using Japanese entirely. She did try to speak slower and clearer but my friends still had difficulty understanding. So most likely what some of my friends say about me is true. I'm a monster at learning languages Wink

aerysa wrote:

haha, so true... We don't really notice either. Well, I know I'm talking in Chinese or English, but my first inclination is to use Chinese with my parents. Then switch to English if I'm not sure. It's nice to practice my Chinese since I mean, I'll use English with everyone else I meet Razz

My mother has to remind me to use Mandarin but we have to remind my dad to use Hokkien (my native dialect). We'd been using English for so long (since my brother didn't pick up Chinese until much later) that we aren't used to it.

aerysa wrote:

Laughing The conversation related to the thread topic basically "died" the moment we all said we weren't interested in it. I had to try...

Good try. But then again, quite a number of members don't join us for general discussions so it's a little tricky sometimes.
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:29 am

silvery wrote:
Hmm, then maybe it's just me. I know when I was learning Japanese I picked it up faster than my friends, when my lecturer was using Japanese entirely. She did try to speak slower and clearer but my friends still had difficulty understanding. So most likely what some of my friends say about me is true. I'm a monster at learning languages Wink
Ahaha, then your friends are probably right!! Then again, do you listen to Japanese music/watch Japanese shows outside of school? I find that it helps, so in that regards, my listen skills are way better than my speaking skills (which is pretty much non-existent).

silvery wrote:
My mother has to remind me to use Mandarin but we have to remind my dad to use Hokkien (my native dialect). We'd been using English for so long (since my brother didn't pick up Chinese until much later) that we aren't used to it.
That's still pretty cool that you know different dialects Smile My parents started us off young on Cantonese. So that tape I mentioned earlier. Me and my sister were actually talking in Chinese. Super cute XD

silvery wrote:
Good try. But then again, quite a number of members don't join us for general discussions so it's a little tricky sometimes.
So true... It's hard to get people to stop lurking and participate!!

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:12 am

I am waiting for the day they merge the dragon obsession with vampires.....It seems when a book becomes popular, there are several books that sound the same. Like Star Wars......
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:00 am

Algenon wrote:
I am waiting for the day they merge the dragon obsession with vampires.....It seems when a book becomes popular, there are several books that sound the same. Like Star Wars......
Lol, that's because people want in on the gain when something gains popularity.
Popular = People drop money on it.

I mean... How many shows and stuff spawned out because Twilight gained popularity? First it was just books, then they turned it into movies... And then TV suddenly had this influx of "vampire" or "supernatural" series...

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:19 am

aerysa wrote:
Algenon wrote:
Lol, that's because people want in on the gain when something gains popularity.
Popular = People drop money on it.

I mean... How many shows and stuff spawned out because Twilight gained popularity? First it was just books, then they turned it into movies... And then TV suddenly had this influx of "vampire" or "supernatural" series...

Right I agree... But I don't like it ! I love vampire stuff (I think I said this before xD) BUT right now I can't stand it. Everywhere you look the is something related to vamps and then on the cinema all the movies have a vampire or mention it... A person gets tired of so many vamp things. The conversations if you are not careful end up in the same topic -.-'

aerysa wrote:
So true... It's hard to get people to stop lurking and participate!!

But there is very little we can do about that. I speak for myself in the old forum... I felt it was really difficult to speak up... Not because of the conversation or the persons in it... but because sometimes it's hard to get into a conversation if it's already at the middle... other times it's because of the lack of time... and last but not least because some just want to download things and get going they don't care about the forum but just the downloads -.-'

Ps. I agree... blesses must have given up... not like she had a choice xD Is there any way to get back on the topic but not talk about that book? maybe talk about other books or types of books ?

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:46 pm

I agree. It is like hearing one of Adele's songs on the radio...it sounds good the first few times but you want to kill yourself after the 50th time.
Back to top Go down
Nathye

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:29 am

Algenon wrote:
I agree. It is like hearing one of Adele's songs on the radio...it sounds good the first few times but you want to kill yourself after the 50th time.

When it comes to songs... I am even worse than the radio. I if I love the song will listen to it a dozen times (sometimes I get tired and sometimes I don't) and after a while I will get back to my playlist which includes the fav song but it is in the middle of so many others that you don't even notice.
Ps. I normally don't listen to the radio, I prefer MP3/4 player, cell phone or even CD's or listen on the computer.

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    

Back to top Go down

Fifty Shades of Grey
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next