48% [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 52

AuthorMessage
blesses
Not So New
Not So New

PostSubject: Fifty Shades of Grey    Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:56 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hey guys, so about two months ago I was watching the news and this trilogy caught the eyes of American women across the nation(i don't know about other countries though). I saw a thread like this on mangaupdates and decided to give a swing at creating a discussion with people on sms about it.

I created a poll and allowed cancellation of votes in case people change their minds, such as those who haven't read it end up reading it and have a new opinion.

I heard a few things about it so far such as it was originally a fanfiction based on Twilight and that the characters are kind of one dimensional. So as of right now, I'm "not going to read it." However, I'm open-minded to other people's opinions whether it be good or bad (as long as it doesn't get ugly ie ill mannered language such as swearing).

I probably won't take part in the discussion very much because I haven't read it so it wouldn't be fair to give an opinion (unless I do decide to pick up the book)

Check out the summary on amazon if you haven't heard of it or just google the summary.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:15 am

Nathye wrote:
But there is very little we can do about that. I speak for myself in the old forum... I felt it was really difficult to speak up... Not because of the conversation or the persons in it... but because sometimes it's hard to get into a conversation if it's already at the middle... other times it's because of the lack of time... and last but not least because some just want to download things and get going they don't care about the forum but just the downloads -.-'

Ps. I agree... blesses must have given up... not like she had a choice xD Is there any way to get back on the topic but not talk about that book? maybe talk about other books or types of books ?
Besides starting a new thread, I don't think so... The title of the thread is so specific XD

Nathye wrote:
Algenon wrote:
I agree. It is like hearing one of Adele's songs on the radio...it sounds good the first few times but you want to kill yourself after the 50th time.
When it comes to songs... I am even worse than the radio. I if I love the song will listen to it a dozen times (sometimes I get tired and sometimes I don't) and after a while I will get back to my playlist which includes the fav song but it is in the middle of so many others that you don't even notice.
Ps. I normally don't listen to the radio, I prefer MP3/4 player, cell phone or even CD's or listen on the computer.
haha, I do that too!! But then after a while, I get sick of it too so I just go back to shuffle mode.
But yes, I like Adele's songs, but they start using it EVERYWHERE... Like on those singing competition shows and everything. Radio is notoriously bad for repeating songs, so I'm really glad I found a station that doesn't play the same song twice from 9 to 5 (which is the typical work schedule) which is when I usually listen to the radio - at work.

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:23 am

aerysa wrote:
haha, I do that too!! But then after a while, I get sick of it too so I just go back to shuffle mode.
But yes, I like Adele's songs, but they start using it EVERYWHERE... Like on those singing competition shows and everything. Radio is notoriously bad for repeating songs, so I'm really glad I found a station that doesn't play the same song twice from 9 to 5 (which is the typical work schedule) which is when I usually listen to the radio - at work.

I don't have that luck the radio (when I turn in) always play songs I don't like or old songs so I don't enjoy listening to it, when I do it is because I ran out of options

aerysa wrote:
Besides starting a new thread, I don't think so... The title of the thread is so specific XD

Well she can change the name of the topic but that would be 2 much trouble xD it's better to forget and continue to do as we wish ^^

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:07 pm

Nathye wrote:
But there is very little we can do about that. I speak for myself in the old forum... I felt it was really difficult to speak up... Not because of the conversation or the persons in it... but because sometimes it's hard to get into a conversation if it's already at the middle... other times it's because of the lack of time... and last but not least because some just want to download things and get going they don't care about the forum but just the downloads -.-'

Ps. I agree... blesses must have given up... not like she had a choice xD Is there any way to get back on the topic but not talk about that book? maybe talk about other books or types of books ?

I understand what you mean. It's difficult when we're new. We just have to try anyway. If the forum gets too quite, it feels lifeless...

aerysa wrote:
Nathye wrote:
Algenon wrote:
I agree. It is like hearing one of Adele's songs on the radio...it sounds good the first few times but you want to kill yourself after the 50th time.
When it comes to songs... I am even worse than the radio. I if I love the song will listen to it a dozen times (sometimes I get tired and sometimes I don't) and after a while I will get back to my playlist which includes the fav song but it is in the middle of so many others that you don't even notice.
Ps. I normally don't listen to the radio, I prefer MP3/4 player, cell phone or even CD's or listen on the computer.

Haha, that happened to my brother! Except it was Justin Beiber and now he is very anti Beiber... Generally, I don't listen to music when I have to work with anything that requires typing/writing/anything with words. I end up writing the song lyrics instead of what ever it was I was suppose to be typing (so my roommate had to resort to headphones when she was studying). If I'm on the go, music helps, but if not, it's too distracting.
Back to top Go down
Nathye

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:28 pm

silvery wrote:
I understand what you mean. It's difficult when we're new. We just have to try anyway. If the forum gets too quite, it feels lifeless...
That is true... I also think that more people should join... But I have to admit it's a little bit difficult... I would suggest that if posssible they could start a new topic with something that they like ^^ like others have done ^^ or maye just join without caring Very Happy In my case in the old forum I tryed to join one topic but then I had to stop using the computer for a while and when I saw there topic was huge ^^ but in this one I do participate more ^^'

silvery wrote:

Haha, that happened to my brother! Except it was Justin Beiber and now he is very anti Beiber... Generally, I don't listen to music when I have to work with anything that requires typing/writing/anything with words. I end up writing the song lyrics instead of what ever it was I was suppose to be typing (so my roommate had to resort to headphones when she was studying). If I'm on the go, music helps, but if not, it's too distracting.

Woo what a change your brother had xD from loving to hating Very Happy Sometims if I am trying t concentrate in something I have to turn music of... but just if I'm using headphone or even ear phones if it's on any other place I can just ignore it... Actually I preffer to ignore it than to be in silence ^^

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:47 am

I heard about the books. Not my cup of tea. I've read quite a few of those kinds of books years ago when I started really getting into reading and it was by recommendation, it was like pulling teeth try to finish. I don't think I can invest anymore time and money in those books.
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:15 pm

beenz wrote:
I heard about the books. Not my cup of tea. I've read quite a few of those kinds of books years ago when I started really getting into reading and it was by recommendation, it was like pulling teeth try to finish. I don't think I can invest anymore time and money in those books.

Wow, somebody read it. And from the way you described it, it must've been hard to finish it. Was it because of the plot? one dimensional characters? the bondage plus S&M?... is what I'd like to ask but I do know that when a reader says a books is not their cup of tea, they can 't tell you the real reason why. It happens to me too.

Nathye wrote:
That is true... I also think that more people should join... But I have to admit it's a little bit difficult... I would suggest that if posssible they could start a new topic with something that they like ^^ like others have done ^^ or maye just join without caring Very Happy In my case in the old forum I tryed to join one topic but then I had to stop using the computer for a while and when I saw there topic was huge ^^ but in this one I do participate more ^^'

I know what you mean. We sometimes don't know where to start when we first join up. And there are those who as time goes by become more and more inactive due to real life and then disappear. But yeah, I noticed that you're more active here Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Nathye

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:49 pm

silvery wrote:
beenz wrote:

Wow, somebody read it. And from the way you described it, it must've been hard to finish it. Was it because of the plot? one dimensional characters? the bondage plus S&M?... is what I'd like to ask but I do know that when a reader says a books is not their cup of tea, they can 't tell you the real reason why. It happens to me too. .

Yes it also happens to me but normally I put in my mind I "if I started I will finish! " so I normally do so... sometimes it takes time and I stop reading and some time later I start again (some months resting Very Happy) and then I finish it normally ^^

@beenz can you make a summary or talk about the book what you though about it ? And why didn't you like it?

silvery wrote:
Nathye wrote:

I know what you mean. We sometimes don't know where to start when we first join up. And there are those who as time goes by become more and more inactive due to real life and then disappear. But yeah, I noticed that you're more active here Very Happy

yah I am a little bit more active now ^^' yes I know what you mean by the real life issues... there are times when it's impossible to come... and as times goes by it's easier to just give up trying to join ^^ In my case I like a good challenge Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:49 am

silvery wrote:
Lol, that's pretty funny! I don't dislike Justin Beiber, but I mean... He's a teenaged boy singing about love... It's not very credible to me. But otherwise, he's quite good at what he does. I'll just leave him to his tween fans Razz

Oh really, I'm completely opposite of you! I have to listen to music everywhere I go. I find it too quiet. At home, I usually listen to Japanese music so I don't have the problem. Can't type up what I don't understand Laughing And at work, I don't have to use the computer that much so I don't have that problem.

Have you tried just listening to classical or instrumental music while you work? No lyrics for you to type up if you listen to that!

Nathye wrote:
Woo what a change your brother had xD from loving to hating Very Happy Sometims if I am trying t concentrate in something I have to turn music of... but just if I'm using headphone or even ear phones if it's on any other place I can just ignore it... Actually I preffer to ignore it than to be in silence ^^
I'm like you. I notice that it's there, but eventually I just tune it out so that I'm not focused on it. To me silence is more distracting since I notice all the other things - the ticking of the clock and things like that. Rolling Eyes

beenz wrote:
So you've read these books or books like it? Sometimes even if they come by recommendation, you have to keep in mind who the person recommending it is... My friend really liked the Twilight saga (the books), but I just automatically said "No way!" when she said I should read it Laughing

silvery wrote:
I think it depends on the person too... If you're used to participating in forums (like me Laughing ) then you don't feel so shy. But if you've never joined one actively, then it's really hard to get into it. That's why I like smaller forums. Ones that are really big with so many users are super hard to join in on. Before you know it, the thread that you participate in balloons into something unrecognizable Shocked

Nathye wrote:
yah I am a little bit more active now ^^' yes I know what you mean by the real life issues... there are times when it's impossible to come... and as times goes by it's easier to just give up trying to join ^^ In my case I like a good challenge Very Happy
We all have real life issues, so it's not a big deal! As long as you find time to come back, which is easy when you enjoy it here ^^

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:23 pm

aerysa wrote:

Lol, that's pretty funny! I don't dislike Justin Beiber, but I mean... He's a teenaged boy singing about love... It's not very credible to me. But otherwise, he's quite good at what he does. I'll just leave him to his tween fans Razz

If I recall, the song baby baby had been used for his orientation performance. so since he had to listen to the song a gajillion times (according to him) during practice, he got sick of the song really fast.

aerysa wrote:
Oh really, I'm completely opposite of you! I have to listen to music everywhere I go. I find it too quiet. At home, I usually listen to Japanese music so I don't have the problem. Can't type up what I don't understand Laughing And at work, I don't have to use the computer that much so I don't have that problem.

Have you tried just listening to classical or instrumental music while you work? No lyrics for you to type up if you listen to that!

I've never developed that ability to tune the song out... and as for instrumentals, my brother gave me a bunch of Hisashi Joe piano instrumentals and well, they were too soothing... I was sleepy in half an hour =_=;

aerysa wrote:

I think it depends on the person too... If you're used to participating in forums (like me Laughing ) then you don't feel so shy. But if you've never joined one actively, then it's really hard to get into it. That's why I like smaller forums. Ones that are really big with so many users are super hard to join in on. Before you know it, the thread that you participate in balloons into something unrecognizable Shocked

I agree. Especially if you don't check in on the forums everyday. Some people can post three or four times a day so if you gone for say the weekend, when you come back, the thread's derailed, talking about topic B, gone off track switched to topic C and if there are disagreements, been locked by the admin due to all out flame wars...

Nathye wrote:

That's good to hear. This forum would be a lot more quieter if you weren't around... There's only so few of us who's giving voice/life to this forum...

aerysa wrote:
We all have real life issues, so it's not a big deal! As long as you find time to come back, which is easy when you enjoy it here ^^

Yup. If you've had fun making friends and sharing stuff here, you can't wait to come back... I come here more often than Facebook! Wink
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:22 pm

silvery wrote:
If I recall, the song baby baby had been used for his orientation performance. so since he had to listen to the song a gajillion times (according to him) during practice, he got sick of the song really fast.
Oh ick... Yeah, I would definitely get sick of it that way - especially if you can't get away from it! Rolling Eyes

silvery wrote:
I've never developed that ability to tune the song out... and as for instrumentals, my brother gave me a bunch of Hisashi Joe piano instrumentals and well, they were too soothing... I was sleepy in half an hour =_=;
Oh... Well, I'm sure there are other instrumentals you could try... But that's yeah, a pretty common side effect Razz What about OSTs from various animes? I think those are usually more varied - at least not so soothing. Or just listening to music in a different language (as in one you don't understand)?

silvery wrote:
I agree. Especially if you don't check in on the forums everyday. Some people can post three or four times a day so if you gone for say the weekend, when you come back, the thread's derailed, talking about topic B, gone off track switched to topic C and if there are disagreements, been locked by the admin due to all out flame wars...
Oh, I've never had that happen before since the forums I end up participating are quite small. The last one I was quite active at (many years ago) was a bit bigger than this one. Lots of members, but maybe a dozen or so active ones.

silvery wrote:
Nathye wrote:
That's good to hear. This forum would be a lot more quieter if you weren't around... There's only so few of us who's giving voice/life to this forum...
Definitely good to have you around Nathye! There's so few of us as it is. Wouldn't want to lose our active members Smile
But sometimes, it's not really even real life stuff... Sometimes I'm just not in the mood to be "social" so I'll drop by, but not bother to reply to stuff until later Razz

silvery wrote:
Yup. If you've had fun making friends and sharing stuff here, you can't wait to come back... I come here more often than Facebook! Wink
Ah Facebook... I'm one of those people who has it, but doesn't use it. I'm not even on once a week. Usually, I just check if there's an e-mail about something - like being tagged in photos or event invite. That's about it.

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:38 pm

aerysa wrote:
[
Oh... Well, I'm sure there are other instrumentals you could try... But that's yeah, a pretty common side effect Razz What about OSTs from various animes? I think those are usually more varied - at least not so soothing. Or just listening to music in a different language (as in one you don't understand)?

Hmm, the OSTs can be tried but as for the different language thing, my mp3 has English, Malay, Japanese, Italian, Portuguese, Mandarin, and Cantonese songs in them. After a while I can sing along to the chorus at the very least. I'm very into my music... ^_^;

aerysa wrote:

Oh, I've never had that happen before since the forums I end up participating are quite small. The last one I was quite active at (many years ago) was a bit bigger than this one. Lots of members, but maybe a dozen or so active ones.

Actually, I may have been exaggerating, but I did participate in a forum where disappearing over the weekend meant that you didn't know what happened anymore.

aerysa wrote:

Ah Facebook... I'm one of those people who has it, but doesn't use it. I'm not even on once a week. Usually, I just check if there's an e-mail about something - like being tagged in photos or event invite. That's about it.

I don't really use it either, except when I want to find something out from my friends. In fact, I wouldn't even have an account if my friends hadn't forced me to have one. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:18 pm

it is bad. the way the heroine acts is very illogical. I skipped all the sm and bondage things Very Happy so the whole story was just like any other hilarious cliche love story. though I'm not sure you can call it love or not Shocked

the main girl is actually very stupid and boring. she does resemble bella in twilight: clumsy, stupid and boring.

so the book is nothing special at all. personally I can't understand the whole hype about it Mad
Back to top Go down
Nathye

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:10 am

aerysa wrote:

When I do that I get really irritated ^^

aerysa wrote:
Nathye wrote:
I'm like you. I notice that it's there, but eventually I just tune it out so that I'm not focused on it. To me silence is more distracting since I notice all the other things - the ticking of the clock and things like that. Rolling Eyes

I actually have a really noise clock, I know because other people told me but I can't hear any sound from it unless I really try to hear the clock.

aerysa wrote:

yes you are right as long as we come back everything is going to be ok Very Happy

silvery wrote:
aerysa wrote:

that's when it gets hard to join Very Happy but we always find a solution if we really want to ^^

silvery wrote:
Nathye wrote:

yes there really are just a few of us, although we are few we are GOOD tongue

silvery wrote:
aerysa wrote:

Well I have fb and once a day I will go there but just to check what has happened Very Happy I don't really like fb for me, I don't like to share things and talk there with my friend... if I need to say something I will say face to face ^^ that's the type of person I am.

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:37 am

aerysa wrote:
silvery wrote:
Nathye wrote:
Definitely good to have you around Nathye! There's so few of us as it is. Wouldn't want to lose our active members Smile
But sometimes, it's not really even real life stuff... Sometimes I'm just not in the mood to be "social" so I'll drop by, but not bother to reply to stuff until later Razz

I do the same... normally I check the forum in the morning to see what's new, but I normally am in a hurry to leave and I just get back at night and that's when I will reply Very Happy

silvery wrote:
Hmm, the OSTs can be tried but as for the different language thing, my mp3 has English, Malay, Japanese, Italian, Portuguese, Mandarin, and Cantonese songs in them. After a while I can sing along to the chorus at the very least. I'm very into my music... ^_^;

what songs do you have in Portuguese ? I am just curious about it Very Happy

silvery wrote:
aerysa wrote:

Actually, I may have been exaggerating, but I did participate in a forum where disappearing over the weekend meant that you didn't know what happened anymore.

well that happened to me in the old forum in the sharing HQ and other ebooks... it wasn't just a weekend but a week or so... it was like 10 pages ahead of what I said and because of that I didn't say much I just participated once or twice but at the time I was really busy the whole time so it was also my fault ^^

felicityhale wrote:
it is bad. the way the heroine acts is very illogical. I skipped all the sm and bondage things Very Happy so the whole story was just like any other hilarious cliche love story. though I'm not sure you can call it love or not Shocked

the main girl is actually very stupid and boring. she does resemble bella in twilight: clumsy, stupid and boring.

so the book is nothing special at all. personally I can't understand the whole hype about it Mad

really? I am so glad I didn't read ^^ I wasn't much interested because of all the bondage and other things but I though maybe the story behind all that was good. I am glad it isn't ^^

Ps. I have been away for some time and I tried to answer everything but it was just too long so I made 2 posts 'cause I still don't know how to do a spoiler I hope you don't mind ^^

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:59 pm

silvery wrote:
Oooh... That's very diverse! I really just tune stuff out automatically... haha, so I don't notice. Also, I have too many different songs (which is always on shuffle) so I never pick up the words. I have to consciously make effort to learn a song to learn it - unless it's English.

silvery wrote:
I don't really use it either, except when I want to find something out from my friends. In fact, I wouldn't even have an account if my friends hadn't forced me to have one. Rolling Eyes
Well... I have it, but I don't really use it either. I might check once a week? Unless I get an actual e-mail about something that happened. Otherwise, I just ignore it Laughing

Nathye wrote:
Well I have fb and once a day I will go there but just to check what has happened Very Happy I don't really like fb for me, I don't like to share things and talk there with my friend... if I need to say something I will say face to face ^^ that's the type of person I am.
That's like me!! I have a number of different groups of friends as FB friends and so, it's not like there's anything to say that I would want ALL of them to know... So I don't post updates or anything. The only thing I usually do is add pictures if I have any (from special events/trips) since that's the easiest way to share. Otherwise, I'm pretty much never on.

Nathye wrote:
I actually have a really noise clock, I know because other people told me but I can't hear any sound from it unless I really try to hear the clock.
Ugh... Those things bug me like crazy! Even if I'm not trying to sleep, and I just sit quietly downstairs... And the clock is ticking... Do not like! Evil or Very Mad

Nathye wrote:
I do the same... normally I check the forum in the morning to see what's new, but I normally am in a hurry to leave and I just get back at night and that's when I will reply Very Happy
Lol, I do that too! Sometimes just to see if there are updates and then if there are, I'll come back later to reply. It actually takes a long time to read everyone's message and then update/reply.

felicityhale wrote:

Ugh... I figured it was something like that. It's one of the things that doesn't make sense - the hype I mean. It's really super annoying. I mean, one of the commercials on the radio station I listen to is for a mm... Lingerie/sex toys/etc shop and they started bringing in this whole "Fifty Shades of Grey" thing... It's so disturbing!

Like sheesh. I've never even heard of it before suddenly, everyone is crazy about it... Rolling Eyes

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:44 pm

felicityhale wrote:

Since the topic is about the book, we talk about it first Wink but well, even though we only have two reviews about it, both appear to be bad and everyone (those who have read and haven't) agree that the book is not worth wasting your time and money over it.

Nathye wrote:
what songs do you have in Portuguese ? I am just curious about it Very Happy

Well, I have O Pastor, Adorinha Da Primavera, Mestre Escola, Postal dos Correios and Oh Rama Oh Que Linda Rama . These were some of the songs my Portuguese lecturer taught us when I was learning Portuguese. She gave us other songs as well, but I can't remember where I put that CD... ^.^;;

aerysa wrote:
Oooh... That's very diverse! I really just tune stuff out automatically... haha, so I don't notice. Also, I have too many different songs (which is always on shuffle) so I never pick up the words. I have to consciously make effort to learn a song to learn it - unless it's English.

I actually missed the petrol station last week because I was to busy singing along to a song on the radio Rolling Eyes I have got to learn to tune my music out.

I only reply when I have the time and have got a general idea what I want to say. And as for FB, I only go there to see the pics my friends posted. Usually I just lurk.
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:57 pm

silvery wrote:
Since the topic is about the book, we talk about it first Wink but well, even though we only have two reviews about it, both appear to be bad and everyone (those who have read and haven't) agree that the book is not worth wasting your time and money over it.
Considering this digital network age we live in, it's not that hard to get your hands on it. I've already seen plenty of e-book versions of it floating around. I think I even downloaded it, but quickly deleted after finding out what it was really about Laughing

That said, there's no need to waste any money on it, but yeah... Definitely wouldn't want to waste your time when there are better things out there to read!

silvery wrote:
I actually missed the petrol station last week because I was to busy singing along to a song on the radio Rolling Eyes I have got to learn to tune my music out.

I only reply when I have the time and have got a general idea what I want to say. And as for FB, I only go there to see the pics my friends posted. Usually I just lurk.
Reaaally?! Laughing That's pretty funny. I guess you'll just have to make a conscious effort to do that... I've never had that problem - even if I sing along to a song on the radio XD

And yeah, I'm pretty much a lurker on FB too. *shrugs* Not a big deal.

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:30 pm

aerysa wrote:

Considering this digital network age we live in, it's not that hard to get your hands on it. I've already seen plenty of e-book versions of it floating around. I think I even downloaded it, but quickly deleted after finding out what it was really about Laughing

That said, there's no need to waste any money on it, but yeah... Definitely wouldn't want to waste your time when there are better things out there to read!

Well, that's true Laughing I'm so old school that I forget there are e-books available Rolling Eyes

aerysa wrote:

Reaaally?! Laughing That's pretty funny. I guess you'll just have to make a conscious effort to do that... I've never had that problem - even if I sing along to a song on the radio XD

And yeah, I'm pretty much a lurker on FB too. *shrugs* Not a big deal.

haha, I was thinking "oh, the petrol stations nearby better remember to fill up" and then "oooh, i love this song" the next thing I know, I was going "wait, I'm at the junction already? I missed the station! Shocked" my train of thought was so random then...
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:47 am

silvery wrote:
Well, that's true Laughing I'm so old school that I forget there are e-books available Rolling Eyes
Lol, yup! Considering you kind find books that were originally published like 40+ years ago, it makes me wonder how they do it... Like did someone sit there and type up the book or something?! I really don't know Shocked

So given that, it's quite easy to find any newly published books.

silvery wrote:
haha, I was thinking "oh, the petrol stations nearby better remember to fill up" and then "oooh, i love this song" the next thing I know, I was going "wait, I'm at the junction already? I missed the station! Shocked" my train of thought was so random then...
haha, it's quite amusing that you can be that distracted by music XD I've never done that before. Though, I have gone into the wrong station before... Wanted to go into one since I had a gift certificate for it, but wasn't look and just rushed into one... Then when my tank was almost full, I was like " Shocked This isn't the one I wanted!!" There were two pretty much side by side, so yeah... That was something... Laughing

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:54 am

aerysa wrote:

Lol, yup! Considering you kind find books that were originally published like 40+ years ago, it makes me wonder how they do it... Like did someone sit there and type up the book or something?! I really don't know Shocked

So given that, it's quite easy to find any newly published books.

Haha, most likely. But you still have to respect anyone who actually took the time to sit down and type the whole thing.

aerysa wrote:

haha, it's quite amusing that you can be that distracted by music XD I've never done that before. Though, I have gone into the wrong station before... Wanted to go into one since I had a gift certificate for it, but wasn't look and just rushed into one... Then when my tank was almost full, I was like " Shocked This isn't the one I wanted!!" There were two pretty much side by side, so yeah... That was something... Laughing

I'm usually very distracted by music. If I take the train or any form of public transport, I have to consciously stop listening to my mp3 one stop before my stop. I might miss it. But then again, I also stop reading whatever it was I have with me as well...
Entering the wrong shop happens often, I think, especially if you usually frequent one and not the other. Smile
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:28 pm

silvery wrote:
Haha, most likely. But you still have to respect anyone who actually took the time to sit down and type the whole thing.
Lol, I actually attempted to do that since I couldn't find this book anywhere online and it's super old. But it's a really funny book that I totally love, so I wanted to share it with everyone. ... Didn't last long. It took me forever just to type up the first 5 pages, so like yeah... Not doing that XD Which is rather unfortunate, because the book is really good.

silvery wrote:
I'm usually very distracted by music. If I take the train or any form of public transport, I have to consciously stop listening to my mp3 one stop before my stop. I might miss it. But then again, I also stop reading whatever it was I have with me as well...
Entering the wrong shop happens often, I think, especially if you usually frequent one and not the other. Smile
Well, if I'm reading on the train/bus, then I would do that too, but the music doesn't bother me at all. I'm opposite... I have to consciously listen for it to realize what's actually playing Laughing It vaguely registers in my head, and then I don't notice until maybe a really good song I like comes on or something like that.
Actually, I never frequent either one Razz I just got the locations mixed up since I was asking others about it and they gave me a general area.

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:48 am

aerysa wrote:

Lol, I actually attempted to do that since I couldn't find this book anywhere online and it's super old. But it's a really funny book that I totally love, so I wanted to share it with everyone. ... Didn't last long. It took me forever just to type up the first 5 pages, so like yeah... Not doing that XD Which is rather unfortunate, because the book is really good.

At least you actually made it till page 5. I don't think I'd last as long... You have to either have a burning passion to share the book or be paid to type the whole book... Wink

aerysa wrote:

Well, if I'm reading on the train/bus, then I would do that too, but the music doesn't bother me at all. I'm opposite... I have to consciously listen for it to realize what's actually playing Laughing It vaguely registers in my head, and then I don't notice until maybe a really good song I like comes on or something like that.
Actually, I never frequent either one Razz I just got the locations mixed up since I was asking others about it and they gave me a general area.

lol, now you know where which shop is. It's always nice to know new things Razz
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:23 pm

silvery wrote:
At least you actually made it till page 5. I don't think I'd last as long... You have to either have a burning passion to share the book or be paid to type the whole book... Wink
Ahaha, I really wanted to share it since the book is that good. It's one of my favorites, even though it's really old... But yeah, it was tough work! It's one thing typing up my own stories since the words are bigger and I pretty much know what comes next. But for that... I had to hold the book open in one hand, read a short passage (basically a sentence) and go back and forth that way... Shocked Rolling Eyes

silvery wrote:
lol, now you know where which shop is. It's always nice to know new things Razz
Definitely Razz Never going to mix that up every again!

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:36 pm

i just googled about it after reading this poll...looks like this guy is really popular and read that it topped the list of popular books....hmmm the genre prevents me from reading it...may be i will give it a try or may be not
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:19 pm

Well, to stay on topic... Smile

I read a review for it outlining how terrible it is... haha! A friend shared it on facebook and it was amusing because the person had used a number of gifs to illustrate her point.

Here's the link - http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/340987215

That said... Funny story!

So on my vacation, I was flying out to Las Vegas and we (as in my family) were separated in terms of sitting location on the plane because we booked the tickets at different times. My dad booked his first, then my mom and sister's at the same time, and I was last since I had to confirm at work that I could actually take the time off before he could do so.

Anyways, on the plane, I was sitting next to this girl. The flight from my city there is about 3 hours, so we were both reading during the flight. I was reading on my Kindle, but she pulled out an actual book... And Laughing I was surprised to see that she pulled out this very book that this thread is about.

Since she was traveling with her family (and quite young - in my opinion), I was surprised her parents would let her read such a thing. She wasn't very far into the book, maybe a few chapters, so I was wondering if she knew anything about it.

Later on after we landed and were waiting to be let off, she was talking to her family (parents and two sisters) saying how she "feels very disturbed by the things in my book". So in my mind, I was quite amused because well... Not exactly reading material that I would let MY kids read - that's for sure! (She was 18, a fact she was complaining about since 21 is the legal age in that state XD)

But yeah, makes me wonder if she just got into it because of all the hype surrounding it. Or if she's a Twilight fan or something...

PostSubject: Re: Fifty Shades of Grey    

Back to top Go down

Fifty Shades of Grey
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next