View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
blesses
Not So New
Not So New

PostSubject: Discover Online Manga   Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:59 pm

What's your story?
I'm curious as to how people discovered the world of online manga.

I first discovered the world of online manga about 6 years ago when I was still in middle school. I was borrowing manga at my local library, one of which was right next to my school =) However, many mangas were slow in being published in english. My friend introduced me to a site that she found which was how I got started on online manga. I found lots of sites back then (but have now shut down), except anime-eden which was connected to Mangafox. Still visit mangafox now too.
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Discover Online Manga   Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:34 pm

My brother introduced me to OneManga back when they were still hosting manga on their sites. And since I desperately needed my manga fixes, I became a fixture of sorts there. When they removed the manga, I floated off to MangaFox before coming to Manga Traders. I also went to certain group sites and Manga Avenue too. More or less floated around looking for manga...
Back to top Go down
aiMiXue
Cool User
Cool User

PostSubject: Re: Discover Online Manga   Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:37 pm

I was like blesses visited the library often, read published manga in volumes.

Starting in middle school, an old friend of mine introduced me to MangaFox. That was where I started reading Vampire Knight, Maid-sama, etc.

When I went traveling, thank god there were online reading sites where I can still read my manga from relatives' computers.

Now I don't visit online reading sites anymore because internet wasn't accessible to me 24/7 so I would download whatever I can.

But now with stable internet I might go back to doing online reading which is easier not having to save all the chapters. I definitely won't be going back to the library for manga because by the time they come out with a new volume, I would already have read it online.

EXCEPTIONS ARE: BlackBird & Sakurahime Kaden

PostSubject: Re: Discover Online Manga   Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:32 am

silvery wrote:
My brother introduced me to OneManga back when they were still hosting manga on their sites. And since I desperately needed my manga fixes, I became a fixture of sorts there. When they removed the manga, I floated off to MangaFox before coming to Manga Traders. I also went to certain group sites and Manga Avenue too. More or less floated around looking for manga...
Me too! OneManga used to be my online reader of choice, until they chose to shut down. I kind of downloaded things from Manga Traders, but mostly I just wanted to read... So now I don't really go there. I ended up at MangaFox so I'm usually there.

As to HOW I discovered the whole world of online readers...
Honestly, I have no clue whatsoever! Laughing Perhaps someone told me about it, though I can't think who it would have been. I've been reading manga forever it seems, so it's hard to say. I did all the things you can think of: reading online, borrowing from the library, buying raws (a few, even though I can't really read it... lol).

PostSubject: Re: Discover Online Manga   Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:07 am

As for my story... It's nothing special actually I always watched Cartoon on TV since I was small kid and once when I was travelling I saw on tv a really nice cartoon (at the time) well now I know it's not a cartoon but anime. When I got bad home I tried to find on tv but I couldn't and them I looked on the internet and there it was Naruto After a while I started to read the manga on OneManga and then on MangaFox and latter and now on MangaPark well after reading Naruto I started to read everything else and now I have no idea how many mangas I have read ^^

Not So New
Not So New

PostSubject: Re: Discover Online Manga   Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:33 pm

wow so a lot of people went to Onemanga. I used onemanga too but mangafox was easier for the community forum discussions so I went there a lot for the forum.

I actually started with The Spectrum Nexus (still exists today though) but there wasn't much to read so I roamed around until I finally settled with Mangafox. I too use mangatraders just to download the mangas that I really like that are already complete (usually long series)

But now i try to download from scanlator sites more and use their readers if they have one b/c of the whole situation with ignoring scanlator rules and all that.
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Discover Online Manga   Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:21 pm

blesses wrote:
wow so a lot of people went to Onemanga. I used onemanga too but mangafox was easier for the community forum discussions so I went there a lot for the forum.
Oh, you actually used the forums?? I tried for a bit, but it was just too hard to get into. And mostly, I just wanted to go there for the reading. Didn't care what other people thought Laughing

It's just hard to participate when the size is so big like that... But something small and cozy like this is more fun Smile

Cool User
Cool User

PostSubject: Re: Discover Online Manga   Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:07 am

OneManga was my choice too back in the day! That was probably the first site I went to read manga and as others have said, I migrated to MangaFox though now I use MangaHere mostly (not that this is really the point lol). I'm not really sure how I got there, but I have been in love with manga ever since. I guess I should point out that as a child I was really into anime (specifically Sailor Moon lol), so maybe I just go curious about manga. Who knows. I'm just glad I found it!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Fist onlineread   Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:19 pm

Well for me I think was a little more of a need to know what happen with inuyasha, because in my country there was not too many mangas published back in my day (Just the big ones like Sakura card captor, dragon ball, and so on). But funny that it may seem I didn't read and haven't read the manga of Inuyasha.
I started I think with the page mangarun, if I'm not mistaken, but back then it was a page with just links after links. What I mean it was a page with only the title of the mangas (with the style of an hyperlink, underlined and blue) and when you enter the link of the title it will go to another page with more hyperlinks but it will be like, chapter one, chaper two, you click them, and it will be another page like page_001, page_002 so in order to read the manga you have to need several pages open charging the images. Because the internet was from the slow one of the phone.
The other one mas mangavision, a french page that now is closed.
One mangas was one of the principal but doent have all of them, so forums and such was necessary in the search. Also the scanlating groups who use IRC.
Back to top Go down
Jibril
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Discover Online Manga   Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:45 am

i discovered online manga around 4 years ago. before that i was watching anime online and by chance found a link to mangafox.
back then i started reading many manga on mangafox but i dont visit that site anymore. mangafox uses the scanlators work and earns money with it and wont even remove the files when the scan groups request it so there are already some who boykott that site.
the currently best and scanlator friendly site is batoto.com but i prefer to go directly to the scan groups. just sometimes when dl links wont work anymore i go to mangatrader.com Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Discover Online Manga   Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:04 am

around 04-05 i got into reading naruto and bleach on onemanga just by chance I am now a full blown addict to manga i like to go the scanlation site if possible ... i started read manga in my late teens Smile
Back to top Go down
swedesamurai
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Discover Online Manga   Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:55 am

I started by searching for animies and came across Bakabt site some years ago. There I also found some mangas and after reading some of the comments and forum entries I went to OneManga like thousands of us did a a whole new world opened up for me. I live in A German Speaking Country and the ability to find some Mangas in English hooked me over night.

Then I found out that Ai Yori Aoshi was also in Manga format. Wow-it was so much different than the animie. It had a different feel especially with the heavy stuff behind Karou's and Aoi's-got me really hooked.

Today I love listing to Enka and reading Manga-One of my favourite pasttimes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Discover Online Manga   Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:18 am

I discovered online manage due to watching anime. I was disappointed with the way an anime ended because it left so many unanswered questions. My of my fellow members of the anime club told me there was a manga that continued and I looked it up. I have been reading manga ever since.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Discover Online Manga   Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:51 pm

I discovered manga through my husband's family...They are japanese. I used OneManga first but I always buy manga when I can to support the authors.
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Discover Online Manga   Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:55 pm

Algenon wrote:
I discovered manga through my husband's family...They are japanese. I used OneManga first but I always buy manga when I can to support the authors.

That's so nice ^_^ I try to get the licensed books but I guess I sort of test the books by reading them online first. If I like it and I think it deserves more than one read, I usually will but them. Just that I'm running out of space for them...
Back to top Go down
Duchess
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Discover Online Manga   Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:30 am

I was watching Vampire knight the anime and I was so desperate for episode 2(didn't realise then that it was 1 episode per week) so I started searching online and found chapter 2 of the manga instead on mangafox and then I discovered a whole lot of other mangas and I've been hooked since then

Check-out Colorful Shoe Prints

Bespoke Cakes for your Memorable Occasions
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Discover Online Manga   Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:58 pm

Friends of mine who wrote fanfiction started a scanlation group (now defunct) which I joined and my manga addiction started since then. This was during the time before mangafox and most manga sites provided downloads, not website-viewing and most people would be on IRC (Internet Relay Chat). Smile A lot of things have changed in the past 10+ years haha (gosh, am I dating myself?)
Back to top Go down
Jibril
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Discover Online Manga   Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:53 am

silvery wrote:
Algenon wrote:

That's so nice ^_^ I try to get the licensed books but I guess I sort of test the books by reading them online first. If I like it and I think it deserves more than one read, I usually will but them. Just that I'm running out of space for them...

i do the same. if i like a book and it gets released in my country i buy it. already have more than a whole bookshelf full of manga ^^
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Discover Online Manga   Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:00 pm

Jibril wrote:
silvery wrote:
Algenon wrote:

i do the same. if i like a book and it gets released in my country i buy it. already have more than a whole bookshelf full of manga ^^
That's awesome! I'm with silvery. The licensed mangas tend to be expensive, so I want to make sure that I'll really like it before I start investing money (and space!) into buying it. Unfortunately, there are many series that I like that still aren't licensed. At least that way, I can still keep up with the ones that aren't.

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Discover Online Manga   Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:07 pm

aerysa wrote:
Jibril wrote:

That's awesome! I'm with silvery. The licensed mangas tend to be expensive, so I want to make sure that I'll really like it before I start investing money (and space!) into buying it. Unfortunately, there are many series that I like that still aren't licensed. At least that way, I can still keep up with the ones that aren't.

The locally licensed and translated manga aren't that expensive. It's just that I've been reading and collecting manga for nearly (or was that more than?) 20 years and the books have been piling up. My brother and I will most likely not part with them since we love them so much. I can however, imagine the custody battles we're going to have if/when we move out... Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Discover Online Manga   Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:33 pm

I always enjoyed reading. I started really getting into american comics when I was 18 yrs. old. I loved mostly the Vertigo comics and other ones that were not big names like marvel and DC (to be fair Vertigo the most well known of my favorites is a branch of DC) usually.
I also loved cartoons all my life. Cartoons of all kinds. I watched anime back then even before I knew that there was a distinction between the 2 types. I could see there differences but didn't really think anything of it(like the transformers I used to watch as a kid). It wasn't until I was 19 or so that I started looking for anime in general. That was about 10 years ago, at that time I was seeing inuyasha on adult swim at night and I thought it was pretty good. From that I got into bleach too but I never really liked naruto.
I started searching out anime online I went to forums for Bleach and Inuyasha which I was one of the oldest people there but I thought those type of animations were awesome and were geared toward more older crowd than american cartoons and so I sort of naturally drifted in that direction. I started downloading Anime directly from a site that I think was called dattabou or something near to that (i know it's spelled slightly wrong but I don't remember its been so long since i visited that site) I kept being told all the while by my online forum friends to try out the manga of some of the anime that I was enjoying at that time like bleach but at the time I didn't really care to add to the types of things I was already reading.
I found out about anilinkz when dattabou stopped releasing bleach it was a place to watch streaming stuff. From there I saw all the other anime they were releasing and decided to look up genres that were interesting directly to me. I found vampire knight when it first started coming out on video and I was excited to watch it every week just as someone else here said. When the first season was done though and the second didn't come for a while that's when I finally broke down and decided to look for the manga.
I already had heard of onemanga and other online readers like mangastream so i decided to look there for the few manga I wanted to try based on what I had seen in anime form. For a while I strictly read only things I had saw in anime first and took an extreme liking in. But as I got older and with some life changing events that happened, I began to read with a lot more of my free time and that is when I could finally say that I really became a online reading junkie because although I still support my favorite artists if and when they are released in English I still wanted to be able to read asap. I do use VIZ to read Black Bird in digital so I can support the author. Though usually when buying most manga or things that have to do with a manga or manhwa like backpacks t-shirts, dolls, or art books I just buy in them at a e-store or a store in town. I always read online first though.
I am not so rich that I can afford to buy to try... and our library's around here if they have any manga in them consist of mostly bleach, naruto, dragon ball z, and sometimes vampire knight. So being able to read online is really a blessing and especially for those that never get released in English, like the breaker.
Sorry for the book answer.

Last edited by casandra29 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:36 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : messed up a bit... sorry.)
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Discover Online Manga   Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:22 pm

silvery wrote:
The locally licensed and translated manga aren't that expensive. It's just that I've been reading and collecting manga for nearly (or was that more than?) 20 years and the books have been piling up. My brother and I will most likely not part with them since we love them so much. I can however, imagine the custody battles we're going to have if/when we move out... Laughing
Really?! Lucky~ The ones here are even more expensive than regular books and lately they've been putting out a lot of combi-volumes, like 3-in-1 volume. That's why I'm picky about which ones I buy. The other issue that I'm scared of is that they don't get finished. We've had a lot of licensing companies go under, so the series you start collecting is suddenly tossed up in the air where you might NEVER finish your collection Evil or Very Mad

Though, I will say that the series I'm currently collecting, I bought it solely based on the manga itself when I was browsing through it at the bookstore. I didn't know anything about it prior to seeing it there and I've never seen it scanlated. So it's not like it'll never happen that that way XD

A lot of series, I couldn't be bothered to read more than once, so online readers are nice that way. But the main thing is that there are sooo many more series out there than what is locally licensed. I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I couldn't read them! Laughing

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Discover Online Manga   Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:06 pm

Wow, that's tricky... One of the publishing companies here nearly did go under or so I've heard, and I'm kinda heart sick since I was collecting some manga under them, which don't appear to be continued. The only manga they appear to be publishing nowadays is Detective Conan...

Since I tend to be a purist (and because I can read Japanese) I usually end up buying the Japanese versions of the manga that I want, if I know my brother's not really into them/ there are no local editions of the book. But those are really expensive so I really choose what I want before I buy them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Discover Online Manga   Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:20 am

i started reading mangas when i was ten or so. Then when we moved two years later, my big brother showed me OneManga then i moved to Mangafox. I also read from MangaMagazine, they have good mangas.
Back to top Go down
rayghiemay

PostSubject: Re: Discover Online Manga   Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:51 am

as for me, i just typed the anime in the search engine and then the manga counterpart came popping out. it was most probably because of the search engine suggesting that i try reading instead of just watching... or because the name of the anime i was searching is directly related to the manga. either way, i'm very happy i discovered the world of online manga. manga in my country is very expensive (i'm a student so i see it that way). also, i'm lucky if i get to buy two consecutive manga episodes as bookstores here don't update their manga inventory. right now i'm reading manga at mangareader using all mangas reader's extension/program (sorry i dunno the right term) Embarassed so i can read manga in pdf-like form (no need to hit the "next page" anymore haha! Laughing

"Fear can only ruin your life if you will allow for it to. In our lives we can try to bypass our fears by staying away from them as much as possible, but to truly conquer each fear we must step up to it, and take it on. We can only defeat something if we are willing to compete against it, and with a strong heart, a determined attitude, and an unbreakable will, there is nothing in this world we can't defeat if we give it our all."

afro
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Discover Online Manga   

Back to top Go down

Discover Online Manga
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next