Shojo Manhwa Scans

Download Scanlations from SMScans Here
 
BlogHomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Favorite smiley faces......

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Favorite smiley faces......   Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:51 pm

Twisted Evil I have noticed in chat the number of varous smiley faces.. from what I have read the orignal created invented the smiley face to help workers in an insurance company remember to smile in 1964....What is your favorite smiely face? why?
Back to top Go down
Nathye
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 296
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : my home xD

PostSubject: Re: Favorite smiley faces......   Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:24 am

woo I didn't know that they were created in 1964 neither why they did so. But now I know it's funny the way and the reason why they created the smiles.

As for me I have my personal smile it's like this -.~ I just love it but I normally just use it when I sign something or sent kisses other than that I use Very Happy , xD or ^^ maybe even -.-

I don't know if you noticed but I am a little bit bad with smiles... I don't know when to use them. sometimes they give the wrong meaning to a sentence so I don't which one I should use and in the end I just use the ones that I wrote earlier.

_________________
No matter how DARK the night, somehow the SUN rises once again and all the shadows are chased away
Back to top Go down
aerysa
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 600
Join date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Favorite smiley faces......   Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:09 am

Nathye wrote:
I don't know if you noticed but I am a little bit bad with smiles... I don't know when to use them. sometimes they give the wrong meaning to a sentence so I don't which one I should use and in the end I just use the ones that I wrote earlier.
That's so true! Also, it just doesn't seem as formal when you add smiles, so sometimes it doesn't fit, depending on your topic of discussion.

I don't really have a favourite, but I guess I have ones I use more often like ^__^ or =__=;; or XD
That's mostly in my blog though.

Most of the time, I just use "hehe" or "haha" or "lol" more.

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://mikarysa.livejournal.com/
Nathye
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 296
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : my home xD

PostSubject: Re: Favorite smiley faces......   Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:17 am

aerysa wrote:
Nathye wrote:
I don't know if you noticed but I am a little bit bad with smiles... I don't know when to use them. sometimes they give the wrong meaning to a sentence so I don't which one I should use and in the end I just use the ones that I wrote earlier.
That's so true! Also, it just doesn't seem as formal when you add smiles, so sometimes it doesn't fit, depending on your topic of discussion.

I don't really have a favourite, but I guess I have ones I use more often like ^__^ or =__=;; or XD
That's mostly in my blog though.

Most of the time, I just use "hehe" or "haha" or "lol" more.

yup when I use word it's something like : yay or woo or yup nothing more than that xD
When I write in formal I can't put any smiles even if I wanted to, for example when I a long text in this forum I tend to easy the black and white I try to put smiles just for the sake of not getting so boring 'cause when I read something long just in black and white I lose interest really fast (unless it's a book) ^^ so I use it (or try to) but just after writing, I finish writing and then I try to find places to put smiles xD

_________________
No matter how DARK the night, somehow the SUN rises once again and all the shadows are chased away
Back to top Go down
aerysa
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 600
Join date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Favorite smiley faces......   Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:59 am

Lol, that's because it's a forum and it doesn't have to be so formal. If there's huge blocks of text, it feels like that person is long-winded...

Sometimes I find I put them all over the place, so I have to go back and cut back... Or else I would have them after every sentence Razz

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://mikarysa.livejournal.com/
Nathye
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 296
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : my home xD

PostSubject: Re: Favorite smiley faces......   Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:53 am

aerysa wrote:
Lol, that's because it's a forum and it doesn't have to be so formal. If there's huge blocks of text, it feels like that person is long-winded...

sometimes the person is not long-winded... but sometimes (like with me) it's a bunch of nonsense ^^ (sorry I know I do that frequently 'cause sometimes I don't read what I write and then BANG lots of mistakes and lots of crap but I just can't help it I hate to read what I write ^^)

aerysa wrote:
Sometimes I find I put them all over the place, so I have to go back and cut back... Or else I would have them after every sentence Razz

You do the exact opposite of me you take them out while I try to put them in the text xD

_________________
No matter how DARK the night, somehow the SUN rises once again and all the shadows are chased away
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Favorite smiley faces......   Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:49 am

I have to agree with some of the posters...It really depends on the who I am sending the message and the content. geek this smiley face can be taken the wrong way in the wrong setting......
Back to top Go down
aerysa
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 600
Join date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Favorite smiley faces......   Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:34 pm

Nathye wrote:
sometimes the person is not long-winded... but sometimes (like with me) it's a bunch of nonsense ^^ (sorry I know I do that frequently 'cause sometimes I don't read what I write and then BANG lots of mistakes and lots of crap but I just can't help it I hate to read what I write ^^)
I guess if there were smiles, then it would seem more informal, but when it's just all text... It's a little hard to get into it, unless I'm really interested Laughing

Nathye wrote:
You do the exact opposite of me you take them out while I try to put them in the text xD
Lol, that's funny! I always think I would come across too silly if I put in too many, but my tendency is to stick them after every sentence... And then I have to cut back, so I have to um... Strategically place my smiles XD

Algenon wrote:
I have to agree with some of the posters...It really depends on the who I am sending the message and the content. geek this smiley face can be taken the wrong way in the wrong setting......
That's so true! It always depends on who the other person is. If someone else doesn't use them a lot (or at all), then I'm more likely to not use them. But if the other person is okay with it, then I'm more liberal about it and probably use it all the time - especially when I'm chatting with friends over instant messenger.

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://mikarysa.livejournal.com/
Nathye
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 296
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : my home xD

PostSubject: Re: Favorite smiley faces......   Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:02 pm

aerysa wrote:
Nathye wrote:
sometimes the person is not long-winded... but sometimes (like with me) it's a bunch of nonsense ^^ (sorry I know I do that frequently 'cause sometimes I don't read what I write and then BANG lots of mistakes and lots of crap but I just can't help it I hate to read what I write ^^)
I guess if there were smiles, then it would seem more informal, but when it's just all text... It's a little hard to get into it, unless I'm really interested Laughing

that's totally like me I sometimes have to stop reading and then come back latter to finish it when the text is long and without anything "shiny" like smiles and spaces... that's my only way of reading till the end (if I'm not that interested in the issue)

aerysa wrote:
Nathye wrote:
You do the exact opposite of me you take them out while I try to put them in the text xD
Lol, that's funny! I always think I would come across too silly if I put in too many, but my tendency is to stick them after every sentence... And then I have to cut back, so I have to um... Strategically place my smiles XD

I have yet to learn the strategical places for smiles ^^

aerysa wrote:
Algenon wrote:
I have to agree with some of the posters...It really depends on the who I am sending the message and the content. geek this smiley face can be taken the wrong way in the wrong setting......
That's so true! It always depends on who the other person is. If someone else doesn't use them a lot (or at all), then I'm more likely to not use them. But if the other person is okay with it, then I'm more liberal about it and probably use it all the time - especially when I'm chatting with friends over instant messenger.

It's not just this smile ( geek ) there are a lot of others but this is sure one I don't use because of the meaning. It seems like I am making fun of the other person when I don't mean to do so.

When I am on instant messenger I use xD and Very Happy and ^^ or -.-' I don't think I use any other and when I send text messages on the phone I hardly use them, no matter the person

_________________
No matter how DARK the night, somehow the SUN rises once again and all the shadows are chased away
Back to top Go down
aerysa
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 600
Join date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Favorite smiley faces......   Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:02 pm

Nathye wrote:
that's totally like me I sometimes have to stop reading and then come back latter to finish it when the text is long and without anything "shiny" like smiles and spaces... that's my only way of reading till the end (if I'm not that interested in the issue)
So true. Even if it's all text with no smiles, a strategic break point (spacing between paragraphs) is super helpful. It isn't as straining on the eyes and helps you keep focus.

Nathye wrote:
I have yet to learn the strategical places for smiles ^^
Lol, I don't know if there really is a strategical place for smiles. I guess it depends more on your mm... Purpose? I don't know XD

Nathye wrote:
When I am on instant messenger I use xD and Very Happy and ^^ or -.-' I don't think I use any other and when I send text messages on the phone I hardly use them, no matter the person
Oooh, on IM I usually use XD Razz ^^ =__=;; and Laughing but for text messages, if I do use them, its only Razz. Space is limited on text messages! Don't want to waste my character counts unnecessarily~

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://mikarysa.livejournal.com/
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member
avatar

Posts : 466
Join date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Favorite smiley faces......   Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:38 pm

Lol, i usually use Very Happy or Smile when I'm here. Sometimes I add Wink depending on the situation. If I were chatting with friends, everything goes 8D maybe it's because we're trying to ease each others' stress levels at work. And then people look at me weird when I smirk at my table during lunch... Wink
Back to top Go down
Nathye
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 296
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : my home xD

PostSubject: Re: Favorite smiley faces......   Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:55 am

aerysa wrote:
So true. Even if it's all text with no smiles, a strategic break point (spacing between paragraphs) is super helpful. It isn't as straining on the eyes and helps you keep focus.

It also helps to know (more or less) when the issue ends

aerysa wrote:
Nathye wrote:
I have yet to learn the strategical places for smiles ^^
Lol, I don't know if there really is a strategical place for smiles. I guess it depends more on your mm... Purpose? I don't know XD

I also think it depends on the purpose and the person you are speaking to ^^

aerysa wrote:
Oooh, on IM I usually use XD Razz ^^ =__=;; and Laughing but for text messages, if I do use them, its only Razz. Space is limited on text messages! Don't want to waste my character counts unnecessarily~

Well I have free sms (text messages) so even if I were to use it wouldn't matter the character ^^

silvery wrote:
Lol, i usually use Very Happy or Smile when I'm here. Sometimes I add Wink depending on the situation. If I were chatting with friends, everything goes 8D maybe it's because we're trying to ease each others' stress levels at work. And then people look at me weird when I smirk at my table during lunch... Wink

yes we can use them to ease others during a conversation... Although in my case I am to lazy to do so ^^

_________________
No matter how DARK the night, somehow the SUN rises once again and all the shadows are chased away
Back to top Go down
aerysa
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 600
Join date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Favorite smiley faces......   Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:26 am

silvery wrote:
Lol, i usually use Very Happy or Smile when I'm here. Sometimes I add Wink depending on the situation. If I were chatting with friends, everything goes 8D maybe it's because we're trying to ease each others' stress levels at work. And then people look at me weird when I smirk at my table during lunch... Wink
That's so true! You feel more relaxed when you see smiles because you don't think the other person is taking the conversation so seriously.

Nathye wrote:
It also helps to know (more or less) when the issue ends
Definitely. Otherwise you lose focus and don't feel interested Laughing

Nathye wrote:
I also think it depends on the purpose and the person you are speaking to ^^
Agreed. I usually use them when I'm joking around with my friends or teasing them Razz

Nathye wrote:
Well I have free sms (text messages) so even if I were to use it wouldn't matter the character ^^
Oh, I kind of have free text messages since it's part of my plan and I don't use all that many of them, but I still just don't use it that much. I would more likely use "lol" or "haha" instead.

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://mikarysa.livejournal.com/
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member
avatar

Posts : 466
Join date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Favorite smiley faces......   Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:51 pm

aerysa wrote:
silvery wrote:
Lol, i usually use Very Happy or Smile when I'm here. Sometimes I add Wink depending on the situation. If I were chatting with friends, everything goes 8D maybe it's because we're trying to ease each others' stress levels at work. And then people look at me weird when I smirk at my table during lunch... Wink
That's so true! You feel more relaxed when you see smiles because you don't think the other person is taking the conversation so seriously.

Yeah, there was a time when my friend was moody but I didn't realize it when I joked with her. No smileys so she snapped at me. After that, anything meant to be a joke, I add a smiley. Better safe than sorry.

aerysa wrote:
Nathye wrote:
I also think it depends on the purpose and the person you are speaking to ^^
Agreed. I usually use them when I'm joking around with my friends or teasing them Razz

Well, I wouldn't add a smiley when I'm talking to my boss... Wink
Back to top Go down
aerysa
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 600
Join date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Favorite smiley faces......   Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:39 pm

silvery wrote:
Yeah, there was a time when my friend was moody but I didn't realize it when I joked with her. No smileys so she snapped at me. After that, anything meant to be a joke, I add a smiley. Better safe than sorry.
OH yeah... That would be bad. It's hard to gauge someone's mood from just words alone, so the smiles help. That way it's not so easy to be misunderstood, especially if one person is grumpy or something Razz

silvery wrote:
Well, I wouldn't add a smiley when I'm talking to my boss... Wink
Uhh... As a general rule, I wouldn't use it at work, period. Lol, it just comes across unprofessional.

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://mikarysa.livejournal.com/
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member
avatar

Posts : 466
Join date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Favorite smiley faces......   Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:30 pm

aerysa wrote:

OH yeah... That would be bad. It's hard to gauge someone's mood from just words alone, so the smiles help. That way it's not so easy to be misunderstood, especially if one person is grumpy or something Razz

Very true. if it were all words, a person would interpret the words based on their mood. A smiley really helps

aerysa wrote:

Uhh... As a general rule, I wouldn't use it at work, period. Lol, it just comes across unprofessional.

Very true. But I sometimes think the younger generation doesn't get it. They don't appear to have learned the proper etiquette for work. The younger sister of my friend showed my friend some of her facebook pictures and asked her which would be suitable for a resume. My friend freaked out... so would I, actually =_=;
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Favorite smiley faces......   Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:33 am

Well the smiley face I like is ^-^. It is just so cute when ever I type it that is my reason for liking it.
Back to top Go down
Nathye
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 296
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : my home xD

PostSubject: Re: Favorite smiley faces......   Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:18 pm

silvery wrote:
Very true. But I sometimes think the younger generation doesn't get it. They don't appear to have learned the proper etiquette for work. The younger sister of my friend showed my friend some of her facebook pictures and asked her which would be suitable for a resume. My friend freaked out... so would I, actually =_=;

Please tell me she changed her mind... Normally fb pictures are the worst to put in a resume.

shngml wrote:
Well the smiley face I like is ^-^. It is just so cute when ever I type it that is my reason for liking it.


It's super cute Very Happy I have never done it but I really like that one I will normally use this ^^

_________________
No matter how DARK the night, somehow the SUN rises once again and all the shadows are chased away
Back to top Go down
aerysa
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 600
Join date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Favorite smiley faces......   Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:31 pm

shngml wrote:
Well the smiley face I like is ^-^. It is just so cute when ever I type it that is my reason for liking it.
Yeah, that is super cute! Usually just use ^^ but ^__^ is cute too. Like a really broad grin~

Nathye wrote:
Please tell me she changed her mind... Normally fb pictures are the worst to put in a resume.
Sooo true! And nowadays, you hear about people getting in trouble at work because of something they put on FB... Like rants about their bosses as their status update (when their boss is on their friends list... ha!) or incriminating pictures and stuff... FB is such a messy business.

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://mikarysa.livejournal.com/
Nathye
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 296
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : my home xD

PostSubject: Re: Favorite smiley faces......   Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:26 am

aerysa wrote:
Nathye wrote:
Please tell me she changed her mind... Normally fb pictures are the worst to put in a resume.
Sooo true! And nowadays, you hear about people getting in trouble at work because of something they put on FB... Like rants about their bosses as their status update (when their boss is on their friends list... ha!) or incriminating pictures and stuff... FB is such a messy business.

That's so true I do have facebook but I normally just use it to chat with friends or see what they are doing it is pretty stupid to talk bad of someone on the internet even if they aren't your friends someone can just show it to them and it will be such a huge mess xD

_________________
No matter how DARK the night, somehow the SUN rises once again and all the shadows are chased away
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member
avatar

Posts : 466
Join date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Favorite smiley faces......   Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:12 pm

Nathye wrote:
aerysa wrote:
Nathye wrote:
Please tell me she changed her mind... Normally fb pictures are the worst to put in a resume.
Sooo true! And nowadays, you hear about people getting in trouble at work because of something they put on FB... Like rants about their bosses as their status update (when their boss is on their friends list... ha!) or incriminating pictures and stuff... FB is such a messy business.

That's so true I do have facebook but I normally just use it to chat with friends or see what they are doing it is pretty stupid to talk bad of someone on the internet even if they aren't your friends someone can just show it to them and it will be such a huge mess xD

Haha, yes it's true. Which is why I normally don't post anything there. The most I do is share some meaningful quote. But I do get tagged in photos a lot so I try not to be crazy when I'm posing.

As for my friend's sister, no, I don't think she used an FB photo on her resume. Her big sister would have explicitly told her not to... lol
Back to top Go down
aerysa
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 600
Join date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Favorite smiley faces......   Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:25 pm

silvery wrote:
Haha, yes it's true. Which is why I normally don't post anything there. The most I do is share some meaningful quote. But I do get tagged in photos a lot so I try not to be crazy when I'm posing.

As for my friend's sister, no, I don't think she used an FB photo on her resume. Her big sister would have explicitly told her not to... lol
I always "screen" which photos of me are tagged... Lol. Like if I'm tagged and I think I look bad, then I'll untag it.

But that's good news. Is that a typical thing that you need to send in a photo with your resume where you are? I know here it's not required for legal issues - like diminishing the possibilities of having discrimination based on appearances.

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://mikarysa.livejournal.com/
Nathye
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 296
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : my home xD

PostSubject: Re: Favorite smiley faces......   Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:53 pm

silvery wrote:
Haha, yes it's true. Which is why I normally don't post anything there. The most I do is share some meaningful quote. But I do get tagged in photos a lot so I try not to be crazy when I'm posing.

As for my friend's sister, no, I don't think she used an FB photo on her resume. Her big sister would have explicitly told her not to... lol
that's good I think it would be really bad if she did that but it would be funny Very Happy

aerysa wrote:
I always "screen" which photos of me are tagged... Lol. Like if I'm tagged and I think I look bad, then I'll untag it.

Oh I really don't care about it I just let it be... it is too much trouble and I normally don't get that much tagged so I don't worry.

aerysa wrote:
But that's good news. Is that a typical thing that you need to send in a photo with your resume where you are? I know here it's not required for legal issues - like diminishing the possibilities of having discrimination based on appearances.

What she mean I think it is a face photography that you need to use on your resume... It is not obligatory but you should use it. They value your resume more when you use it.

_________________
No matter how DARK the night, somehow the SUN rises once again and all the shadows are chased away
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member
avatar

Posts : 466
Join date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Favorite smiley faces......   Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:38 pm

Nathye wrote:

that's good I think it would be really bad if she did that but it would be funny Very Happy

Yes, it would but not very professional... But that's why she asked her elder sister, I believe.

aerysa wrote:
I always "screen" which photos of me are tagged... Lol. Like if I'm tagged and I think I look bad, then I'll untag it.

Nathye wrote:
Oh I really don't care about it I just let it be... it is too much trouble and I normally don't get that much tagged so I don't worry.

Normally I act natural. And since I'm naturally serious, the most I usually do is smile. (I don't even do the "peace" sign anymore, ever since a friend of mine said that it meant :"I have to use the bathroom" in Italian Laughing)

aerysa wrote:
But that's good news. Is that a typical thing that you need to send in a photo with your resume where you are? I know here it's not required for legal issues - like diminishing the possibilities of having discrimination based on appearances.

Nathye wrote:
What she mean I think it is a face photography that you need to use on your resume... It is not obligatory but you should use it. They value your resume more when you use it.

Well, here we attach a face photo (also called passport sized photo here) on our resumes only if required. But I think it's getting so common that most people go to any interview here with those kinds of photos since you'd need one for the application form, if you applied online.
Back to top Go down
aerysa
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 600
Join date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Favorite smiley faces......   Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:46 pm

silvery wrote:
Yes, it would but not very professional... But that's why she asked her elder sister, I believe.
Well, it's good thing that she thought to ask first then Razz

silvery wrote:
Normally I act natural. And since I'm naturally serious, the most I usually do is smile. (I don't even do the "peace" sign anymore, ever since a friend of mine said that it meant :"I have to use the bathroom" in Italian Laughing)
Yeah, normally it's not an issue but some of my friends like to take candid shots... So it's like "eww!" Laughing But okay... NOT going to use that sign anymore! haha, not that I normally do anyways.

Nathye wrote:
What she mean I think it is a face photography that you need to use on your resume... It is not obligatory but you should use it. They value your resume more when you use it.

silvery wrote:
Well, here we attach a face photo (also called passport sized photo here) on our resumes only if required. But I think it's getting so common that most people go to any interview here with those kinds of photos since you'd need one for the application form, if you applied online.
Oooh... I guess the policy is different for every country. I've heard about that (since you kind of see that in mangas/animes XD), but I've never had to do that here.

_________________
Back to top Go down
http://mikarysa.livejournal.com/
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Favorite smiley faces......   

Back to top Go down
 
Favorite smiley faces......
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Smiley Dictionary for Dummies
» Your favorite Tsundere? -o-
» what is (or was) your least favorite part of high school?
» Favorite Bible Verse(s)
» Least favorite Little House episode

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Shojo Manhwa Scans :: DISCUSSIONS :: General-
Jump to: