BlogHomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Favorite smiley faces......

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Favorite smiley faces......   Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:51 pm

First topic message reminder :

Twisted Evil I have noticed in chat the number of varous smiley faces.. from what I have read the orignal created invented the smiley face to help workers in an insurance company remember to smile in 1964....What is your favorite smiely face? why?
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Favorite smiley faces......   Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:37 pm

aerysa wrote:

silvery wrote:
Normally I act natural. And since I'm naturally serious, the most I usually do is smile. (I don't even do the "peace" sign anymore, ever since a friend of mine said that it meant :"I have to use the bathroom" in Italian Laughing)
Yeah, normally it's not an issue but some of my friends like to take candid shots... So it's like "eww!" Laughing But okay... NOT going to use that sign anymore! haha, not that I normally do anyways.

Haha, I don't really use them anyway either. But yes, It's a very hilarious conversation starter when I'm out with people I don't really know Wink

aerysa wrote:

Oooh... I guess the policy is different for every country. I've heard about that (since you kind of see that in mangas/animes XD), but I've never had to do that here.

Laughing I always thought it was a requirement everywhere... guess I was wrong. But then again, It's usually very easy to guess the race and even the gender of the applicant from their name so maybe that's why a photo of the applicant is a norm...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite smiley faces......   Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:23 am

Up until recently I found myself using this: ;_; quite a bit. I used to use ^^ or ^_^ or ^_~ quite a lot in my younger years, but now I'm stickin' to Wink or Smile

One of my friends banned me from using ;_; anytime I talked to her online. If I did she would ignore me.

*laughs* Her conditioning was successful. I hardly ever use it nowadays.
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Favorite smiley faces......   Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:23 am

Laughing that's a good way to condition someone... I don't think it's bad to use smileys, but it does get distracting when there's too many. I usually stick to the regular smileys but sometimes I use =_=; when something my friend says is just too... =_=; inducing... ^^;
Back to top Go down
swedesamurai
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Favourite Smiley Faces   Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:15 pm

I don't use smileys. I guess I'm old fashioned; but when I'm writing...I'm writing. If it in written text then it deserves to be written out and properly. Acronyms are the same. I hate them SNAFU ASAP. I you're writing then write; if you want to send smoke signals send smoke signals but not both. I am a firm believer that the effective use of words is a more efficent way of expression than the use of patented signs that everyone uses. How sincere is a compliment with only smileys, isn't a compliment more heartfelt through the effective and accurate expression of sentiment.

I do not belittle any one that uses them but, as for me the written word is better.
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Favorite smiley faces......   Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:41 pm

Good one swede! I do use smileys, but I try not to make it over the top. But I will always check my spelling and my grammar before I hit the send button. I dislike short form and "leet speak" give me headaches... There are enough letters in the alphabet to let you convey what you want to say. I wish the younger generation could see that though...
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Favorite smiley faces......   Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:09 am

Well... Today's generation is caught up in the texting world where really, you have a limited amount of character space. Which really, is quite saddening a fact, but explains all the shorthand.

Frankly, I have nothing against shorthand because I use it a lot. When I'm writing, which I do a lot of, I don't want to write out everything so I have my own form of shorthand. Basically because what I write on paper will end up going onto the computer anyways. But that's ONLY for my personal use, like when I took notes in school and what not.

Obviously there's a time and place for using smileys, but I can understand where swedesamurai is coming from. It's like the lead-up to the slow decline of intelligence and written language... Less and less people are gifted in the art of writing. As an art, it's something that takes practice and commitment to improve at. So when we shorthand and add smileys everywhere, it detracts from what is already poor to begin with.

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Favorite smiley faces......   Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:59 pm

Yeah, I understand that too. The world is so connected these days that people don't really write anymore... In our parent's generation, penmanship, letter-writing, journals and diaries, these were all a norm and an art. Some of the best works that have been published were letters, journals and diaries. People took the time to think before they wrote anything down, because we couldn't take back the words that have been written. For readers, the written word is powerful. It can invoke the imagination, make us think, relook into our values or what we've been taught, remind us of our history, make us dream about the future and shape our present. I sometimes wish we could go back to the old days where people actually made real friends in real life instead of "friending" someone on FaceBook... Not that I don't think of some of you here as my friends Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: (^0^)/ Hi!!!   Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:57 am

I love to use smiley.
Especially if they are very, very creative...
But it is hard to use them if there is no application to support it (T^T)
But I still love to use it because it makes writing more interesting cheers
o(^o^)o
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Favorite smiley faces......   Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:38 am

kurenai wrote:
I love to use smiley.
Especially if they are very, very creative...
But it is hard to use them if there is no application to support it (T^T)
But I still love to use it because it makes writing more interesting cheers
o(^o^)o

wow, you really advocate the use of smileys, huh? well, no harm, it does make the posts more interesting Wink
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Favorite smiley faces......   Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:12 pm

Speaking of smiley faces, it's really popular in the Japanese culture. And a while back, I remember finding a link that shared sooo many different ones! I should try to see if I can find it again.

http://www.netlingo.com/smileys.php
http://w2.eff.org/Net_culture/Folklore/Arts/smiley.list
http://pc.net/emoticons/

There's some really basic ones, not the one I was looking for. It's amazing how creative people can be with just basic text.

PostSubject: La la la la LA NA   Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:12 pm

Eh.
I know what you mean ^^"
My favourite smiley face...
Is of course Razz or ^-^
But sometimes when I make evil in the world (lol)
I use this Twisted Evil
Just how I am.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2kvmtnM0h1r3aka4o1_500.jpg
Back to top Go down
dream~
Cool User
Cool User

PostSubject: Re: Favorite smiley faces......   Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:04 pm

my favourite smiley face is ^^ ... I don't know why but I just like using it everytime~
also i like to do this one =.= hehe cause basically as a sarcasm or bored or annoyed at them Razz but its usually cause i'm annoyed...
Back to top Go down
rayghiemay

PostSubject: Re: Favorite smiley faces......   Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:54 pm

hmmm... i have very low fuel when it comes to imagination so most of the time i use ^^ or c: or Smile
when e-mailing a friend, blogging, writing letters, etc. like, right now Smile
lol

"Fear can only ruin your life if you will allow for it to. In our lives we can try to bypass our fears by staying away from them as much as possible, but to truly conquer each fear we must step up to it, and take it on. We can only defeat something if we are willing to compete against it, and with a strong heart, a determined attitude, and an unbreakable will, there is nothing in this world we can't defeat if we give it our all."

afro
Back to top Go down
girlflower

PostSubject: Re: Favorite smiley faces......   Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:56 pm

i think my favorite is  study since I love reading
Back to top Go down
thtaznshorty
Cool User
Cool User

PostSubject: Re: Favorite smiley faces......   Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:43 am

I try to use smiley face in text message to show how happy I am because whenever you type words out it doesn't really so your emotion. But if I had to choose my favorite smiley face it has to be c: since I tend to use it a lot.
Back to top Go down
tomokot

PostSubject: Re: Favorite smiley faces......   Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:48 am

:3 and XD are my favorites. I think smilies help convey tonal information that isn't really easy or sometimes even possible to convey textually. I tend to prefer the pure letter ones to the emoji/picture ones, though. Not really sure why.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite smiley faces......   

Back to top Go down

Favorite smiley faces......
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2