BlogHomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Summer Olympics (London) 2012

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
aerysa

PostSubject: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:28 pm

Okay, since we started discussing this in the other thread... Let's not confuse everyone.

Chloevien wrote:
The Summer Olympics begins Friday, July 27, 2012, and ends Sunday, August 12, 2012, Prof. Google told me Smile

For more information, visit the main website at http://www.london2012.com/

Since the Olympics are right around the corner, are there any sports in particular that you're excited about watching??

My country doesn't do particularly well at these Olympics, so I don't have a favorite sport to watch. I'll probably just catch what I can.

Cool User
Cool User

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:52 am

I like athletism so i will watch it (if i can) and also judo (i support Teddy Rinner^^ )
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:57 am

My favourite to watch has always been gymnastics. Equestrian and swimming are also fun to watch sometimes.
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:54 pm

Truth be told, I'm not much of a sports fan, so aside from the medal tally, I don't really know much about the games. But we can still talk about it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:48 pm

First thank you aerysa for the new thread bounce
However I love to see swimming, not because of hot bodies (not only, but have nothing against eye candy lol! ), but I used to swim in school and college, so the love for this sport is still there. Actually I like Winter Olympics better, even though there's no swimming Razz
However we all know, USA, China and Russia are going to dominate, at least from last 5 Summer Olympics Wink
My home country (where I was born) was always good in Badminton, always won medals too, but only in Badminton Sad The population is big enough, but I think, there's not enough money to support......
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:58 pm

Chloevien wrote:
First thank you aerysa for the new thread bounce
However I love to see swimming, not because of hot bodies (not only, but have nothing against eye candy lol! ), but I used to swim in school and college, so the love for this sport is still there. Actually I like Winter Olympics better, even though there's no swimming Razz
However we all know, USA, China and Russia are going to dominate, at least from last 5 Summer Olympics Wink
My home country (where I was born) was always good in Badminton, always won medals too, but only in Badminton Sad The population is big enough, but I think, there's not enough money to support......

Very Happy it's nice that you know what you want to watch. I'm still unsure, since I'm not much of a sports person. I hope my country makes it to the Badminton finals, but other than that, I'll probably just watch (if I can) the events where my country's competing.

P.S. are you from Denmark, Chloevien? It's one of the European countries where I know their Badminton is very good.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:10 pm

silvery wrote:

Very Happy it's nice that you know what you want to watch. I'm still unsure, since I'm not much of a sports person. I hope my country makes it to the Badminton finals, but other than that, I'll probably just watch (if I can) the events where my country's competing.

If my home country make it at least to semi final (badminton), I want to watch it too. I hope this time my TV does live broadcast for badminton, because the last time was nada Mad

silvery wrote:
P.S. are you from Denmark, Chloevien? It's one of the European countries where I know their Badminton is very good.

No Smile I live in Europe but actually I'm from Southeast Asia. You could probably guess where I come from Wink

Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:44 pm

Chloevien wrote:
silvery wrote:

If my home country make it at least to semi final (badminton), I want to watch it too. I hope this time my TV does live broadcast for badminton, because the last time was nada Mad

I hope so too then. It's not possible to watch it from the internet?

Chloevien wrote:
silvery wrote:

No Smile I live in Europe but actually I'm from Southeast Asia. You could probably guess where I come from Wink

You are either a resident of my neighboring country or maybe a fellow countryman as well. It's tricky but the two Southeast Asian countries that are good at badminton both end with "-sia" Wink
Back to top Go down
Nathye

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:15 am

yay a new thread while I was gone Very Happy

Well unlike everyone here I'm a sports fan and person ^^ I love basketball and volleyball (especially Brazil vs Cuba) , also like to watch the one that people jump to a pool (don't know the name sorry -.-) Very Happy

I think to say the true I love to watch the Olympics but I prefer the team sports than others Very Happy

I am lucky that I have Record (it's a Brazilian television channel that airs here in Europe and they will show all the Olympics) I will be able to watch everything, if I have time. Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:25 am

silvery wrote:

I hope so too then. It's not possible to watch it from the internet?
Sure it's possible, but you know how exhausted it can be, staring at your monitor for the whole match. But if my TV couldn't make any live broadcast for badminton, there's no other choice, internet is my last resort Sad

silvery wrote:
You are either a resident of my neighboring country or maybe a fellow countryman as well. It's tricky but the two Southeast Asian countries that are good at badminton both end with "-sia" Wink
True, but at least you have 50-50 chance to guess Razz. So you're also from a country with -sia, just like me. cheers

Nathye wrote:

Well unlike everyone here I'm a sports fan and person ^^ I love basketball and volleyball (especially Brazil vs Cuba) , also like to watch the one that people jump to a pool (don't know the name sorry -.-) Very Happy

I believe it's called high diving or platform diving.
I know that Brazilian volleyball team is really good, they won silver from the last Olympics (USA won gold). Are you also in any team sport then?

Nathye wrote:
I am lucky that I have Record (it's a Brazilian television channel that airs here in Europe and they will show all the Olympics) I will be able to watch everything, if I have time.Very Happy

We do too such as Eurosport, etc, but I believe Badminton doesn't belong to Europe's fave sport Sad Maybe that's why, no live broadcast for Badminton, at least here where I live Sad
Back to top Go down
Nathye

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:44 am

Chloevien wrote:

Nathye wrote:

I believe it's called high diving or platform diving.
I know that Brazilian volleyball team is really good, they won silver from the last Olympics (USA won gold). Are you also in any team sport then?

No right now I am not in any team sport I used to play basketball but now I am trying a martial-arts Very Happy Now it's holidays for sport clubs here so I can practice anything ^^

yes actually I am a big fun of Brazil volleyball team Very Happy So I hope they can get the gold this year ^^

Chloevien wrote:
Nathye wrote:
I am lucky that I have Record (it's a Brazilian television channel that airs here in Europe and they will show all the Olympics) I will be able to watch everything, if I have time.Very Happy

We do too such as Eurosport, etc, but I believe Badminton doesn't belong to Europe's fave sport Sad Maybe that's why, no live broadcast for Badminton, at least here where I live Sad

but from what I head they will show everything Very Happy

I never though I would reach 200 posts but I did cheers it's the first time I reached so many posts in a forum ^^

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:05 pm

Oops, missed out on my own topic while I was gone... Laughing

Honestly, like silvery, I'm not much of a sports person either, but it's really fun to watch! It's like, the whole world is participating in the events! Super exciting ^^

Anyways, my country is good at rowing sports, so it's always fun to catch those.

Other sports I like to watch are the diving ones too (I think the ones Nathye is referring to). The ones where they jump off the diving board and do all those fancy crazy twists and turns... Whoa!! Shocked

haha, it reminds me a lot of aerials from Winter Olympics which is one of my favorite ones to watch when that is on.

Oh, and sometimes I watch track as well. Really, just catch what I can. But wow! Those people can run really fast - it's really impressive.

(Lol, too lazy to quote anyone, so I'm just replying to everyone in general! XD)

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:06 am

I think I have never watched the Winter Olympics I have heard about it never really saw it ^^ is it as good as the Summer Olympic games?

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:21 am

Nathye wrote:
I think I have never watched the Winter Olympics I have heard about it never really saw it ^^ is it as good as the Summer Olympic games?
I think they're both equally good. The main difference is the types of sports that are highlighted since Summer Olympics is for summer sports and Winter Olympics is for winter sports.

Summer sports are things like track and field, badminton, soccer, swimming, volleyball, etc.

Winter sports are things like figure skating, hockey, skiing/snowboarding, bobsledding, etc.

So really, it depends more on which type of sports you like ^^

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:45 pm

Wow, so many replies.

I think the reason Summer Olympics is more popular than the Winter one is because not every country has winter so the participation for that would be less.

Since my country has no winter, I don't really know anything about winter sports. But yeah, diving, synchronized diving and synchronized swimming would be fun to watch. Just like rhythmic gymnastics. Music and nice costumes Wink

Is Wushu an accepted Olympic game yet? (too lazy/busy to find out) If it is, that would be another nice event to watch.

@Chloevien: A 50-50 means I'm either right or wrong. But it's nice to have someone from the same region here on the forums, even if your adopted country is now Germany. We'll know where each other is from during the badminton event Smile
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:50 pm

silvery wrote:
I think the reason Summer Olympics is more popular than the Winter one is because not every country has winter so the participation for that would be less.
Lol, that's why I like Winter Olympics more. Because we have a long winter =__=;;

Anyways, since others are too lazy to check and this is "my" thread (as in I started it...) Razz

The list of all the different sports:
Spoiler:

Oh whoa! I didn't realize there were THAT many sports involved! I only knew about the main events. I think archery would be pretty neat to watch. I've never watched it before. And it always seems pretty interesting. (Always wanted to try it!)

Otherwise, gymnastics and diving is pretty fun to watch. Lol, I like "pretty" things - like how graceful the gymnasts are or how elaborate the twists and turns of diving are...

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:42 pm

aerysa wrote:

Lol, that's why I like Winter Olympics more. Because we have a long winter =__=;;

I don't like the cold... I don't think I could survive a long winter ^_^;;

aerysa wrote:

Anyways, since others are too lazy to check and this is "my" thread (as in I started it...) Razz

The list of all the different sports:
Spoiler:

Oh whoa! I didn't realize there were THAT many sports involved! I only knew about the main events. I think archery would be pretty neat to watch. I've never watched it before. And it always seems pretty interesting. (Always wanted to try it!)

Otherwise, gymnastics and diving is pretty fun to watch. Lol, I like "pretty" things - like how graceful the gymnasts are or how elaborate the twists and turns of diving are...

That is long... But then again, it's the Olympics Smile yeah, pretty or rhythmic events are so nice to watch. Well, there's no wushu after all. Oh well...
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:19 am

silvery wrote:
Hahaha! Neither do I! XD It's just one of those things that you uhm... Unfortunately adapt to - kind of. I was born and raised here and I still can't stand it!

silvery wrote:
That is long... But then again, it's the Olympics Smile yeah, pretty or rhythmic events are so nice to watch. Well, there's no wushu after all. Oh well...
True. What better time to showcase a number of different (really different) sports! It should be exciting~ ^^

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:29 am

It's a pretty long list... Are all the sports included in it??
Well now I see the reason why I don't watch the winter games ^^
1º I prefer summer rather than winter.
2º My countries (because I am not from just one - I like to believe that I love you ) have more summer rather than winter Razz

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:11 pm

aerysa wrote:
silvery wrote:
Hahaha! Neither do I! XD It's just one of those things that you uhm... Unfortunately adapt to - kind of. I was born and raised here and I still can't stand it!

Wow, that must be very cold. Well, if ever I have to move from my tropical little paradise, I hope it's somewhere warm!

aerysa wrote:
silvery wrote:
True. What better time to showcase a number of different (really different) sports! It should be exciting~ ^^

I know there's a balloting system where countries can vote to add more sports to the list of sports being competed. After all, the original Olympics was just athletics and was only open to men Wink

Nathye wrote:
2º My countries (because I am not from just one - I like to believe that I love you ) have more summer rather than winter Razz

My country is all summer. I haven't had the chance to travel overseas much yet, so I don't think I've actually seen snow that wasn't artificially made...
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:24 pm

Nathye wrote:
Yes, all the sports listed are events. I copied it straight off of the main website.

haha, I prefer summer too, but *shrugs* I'm in the wrong country... Razz

silvery wrote:
Wow, that must be very cold. Well, if ever I have to move from my tropical little paradise, I hope it's somewhere warm!
Yeah... It is very cold, though this last year is strange... Global warming? Rolling Eyes
Typically, our winters (where I am anyways) can get down to -30 deg C (-22 deg F, not sure which one you use). And this is for mm... At least a good 4 months or so. Sometimes even longer Evil or Very Mad

silvery wrote:
I know there's a balloting system where countries can vote to add more sports to the list of sports being competed. After all, the original Olympics was just athletics and was only open to men Wink
Ooh, that's pretty cool! I wonder how they decide whether it will be accepted or not. Maybe enough representation/participation and what not?

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:11 pm

aerysa wrote:

Yeah... It is very cold, though this last year is strange... Global warming? Rolling Eyes
Typically, our winters (where I am anyways) can get down to -30 deg C (-22 deg F, not sure which one you use). And this is for mm... At least a good 4 months or so. Sometimes even longer Evil or Very Mad

That's freezing! I think I'd mostly be cocooned in the house waiting for spring or most probably I'd be like migratory birds and fly south for the winter... But we humans adapt very quickly, don't we? Wink

aerysa wrote:

Ooh, that's pretty cool! I wonder how they decide whether it will be accepted or not. Maybe enough representation/participation and what not?

I'm not sure how the balloting system goes, i just know there is a system. my brother was telling me about it.
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:30 pm

silvery wrote:
That's freezing! I think I'd mostly be cocooned in the house waiting for spring or most probably I'd be like migratory birds and fly south for the winter... But we humans adapt very quickly, don't we? Wink
It is! But yes, we say we wouldn't survive it, but really... We do. You cope somehow. Lots of layers and lots of warm drinks! That's how I do it. Oh, and a heater at home Razz

silvery wrote:
I'm not sure how the balloting system goes, i just know there is a system. my brother was telling me about it.
Ahh, okay. They must have some way of doing so. It makes me wonder if they allow additions to the sports listing each time since the Olympics are every 4 years. *shrugs*

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:31 pm

I don't really have a favorite, but I like to watch swimming, gymnastic, and tracks. I probably watch other events too.
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:20 pm

aerysa wrote:

It is! But yes, we say we wouldn't survive it, but really... We do. You cope somehow. Lots of layers and lots of warm drinks! That's how I do it. Oh, and a heater at home Razz

It's just like how the people here cope with the heat by having air conditioning. Sometimes too much of it though Wink

But the Olympics hype is really going on now. Everyone appears super excited about it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   

Back to top Go down

Summer Olympics (London) 2012
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next