Share | 

Summer Olympics (London) 2012

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
aerysa

PostSubject: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:28 pm

First topic message reminder :

Okay, since we started discussing this in the other thread... Let's not confuse everyone.

Chloevien wrote:
The Summer Olympics begins Friday, July 27, 2012, and ends Sunday, August 12, 2012, Prof. Google told me Smile

For more information, visit the main website at http://www.london2012.com/

Since the Olympics are right around the corner, are there any sports in particular that you're excited about watching??

My country doesn't do particularly well at these Olympics, so I don't have a favorite sport to watch. I'll probably just catch what I can.

AuthorMessage
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:05 pm

morninglight wrote:
I don't really have a favorite, but I like to watch swimming, gymnastic, and tracks. I probably watch other events too.
I've never been super huge on watching swimming for some reason, though I have seen it a few times. I guess it depends on the schedules on what is shown on TV. That's pretty much how I decide what I watch - pick the most interesting one out of the ones showing when I have time to watch Razz

silvery wrote:
It's just like how the people here cope with the heat by having air conditioning. Sometimes too much of it though Wink
Ahaha... We have that too. Once summer rolls around, it seems like it on full blast at work... To the point that I'm cold and have to wear long-sleeves inside Rolling Eyes

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:53 pm

aerysa wrote:

I've never been super huge on watching swimming for some reason, though I have seen it a few times. I guess it depends on the schedules on what is shown on TV. That's pretty much how I decide what I watch - pick the most interesting one out of the ones showing when I have time to watch Razz

Very true. It really will have to depend on what's on TV and when. After all, London's on the other side of the world to me and I don't think I'm a big enough of a sports fan to wake up at 2/3 in the morning just to catch it all live.

aerysa wrote:

Ahaha... We have that too. Once summer rolls around, it seems like it on full blast at work... To the point that I'm cold and have to wear long-sleeves inside Rolling Eyes

In my office, the air conditioning's centralized so you're either hot or cold (no in between) So I usually wear long sleeves and bring a blazer. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:24 pm

And the Olympics have begun. Has anyone watched anything yet? I've only heard about the flag gaffe for the women's soccer, but didn't watch it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:43 pm

i'm looking forwarding to watching it. my favorite sports to watch are swimming and gymnastics Very Happy i think the time zone is a little off, but usually i can watch repeats on tv.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:18 am

silvery wrote:
And the Olympics have begun. Has anyone watched anything yet? I've only heard about the flag gaffe for the women's soccer, but didn't watch it.

I did watch swimming, but really dissapointing. My favorite swimmer Paul Biederman hasn't even made 400m preliminary round Sad
I've just read it about the flag scandal. South Korea flag for North Korea women soccer team, or something like that, of course the North Koreans were offended.....
And China has already 2 Golds!!!!! Shocked They are good......
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:15 pm

Sorry for not being more active since I was away from home without internet access... But I'm back now! ^__^

Anyways, I haven't actually sat down to watch much, but I've been catching bits and pieces here and there. It's pretty much playing anywhere you have a television. Watched a bit of women's soccer (Great Britain vs Cameroon), men's gymnastics (whichever one) and caught a bit of the medal ceremony for men's archery.

So how are your countries doing in terms of medals?

Mine is sitting at zero... Laughing But that's not surprising since we've never done particularly well at the Summer games. We should pick up a few here and there though~

Shouldn't be surprising that China is in the lead with 4 gold medals (and 6 overall, 2 bronze) and USA is up there in 3rd place, behind Italy.

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:42 pm

well, according to what I heard on the news, so far my country hasn't won any yet but the men's badminton doubles made it to the QF. I hope they do well.
Back to top Go down
blanblah
Cool User
Cool User

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:30 pm

I haven't really been watching them and honestly, I didn't think I would. I'm not really a sports person, but I have caught some of the soccer matches. I used to play when I was younger, so it was nice to watch. Hopefully I'll catch a few more. Smile
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:48 pm

I've actually been watching quite a bit of it. I didn't think I would. So far, I've watched artistic gymnastics, weight lifting, a bit of volleyball and beach volleyball, diving and all sorts of swimming. Oh, and maybe a few minutes for water polo (which I think is boring! Laughing ) and basketball.

My country finally got its first silver medal!! Very Happy That's really exciting.

We have 6 in total right now, but the rest are bronze.

It seems like the competition this year is really fierce. When I was watching yesterday, they said 12 records have already been broken and it was only day 4 of the games!

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:21 pm

wow, you've watched quite a few. I've only heard about what I can on the news. I heard about the match throwing scandal in the badminton games, kinda sad. My country has yet to win a medal, so I'm wishing them the best
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:08 pm

Yeah, I was just discussing that with a coworker at lunch today! I saw the headlines, but didn't know any details. That's so sad and discouraging... I think certain countries place too much emphasis on winning medals (gold in particular) when it should be about encouraging the players to do their best and continue to strive for excellence.

Because of the scandal, my country has a chance of winning a medal! ^^ I was watching the women's doubles today at lunch. Unfortunately didn't see how they did in the end (semi-finals), but I'm sure they did their best.

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:16 pm

[quote="aerysa"]Yeah, I was just discussing that with a coworker at lunch today! I saw the headlines, but didn't know any details. That's so sad and discouraging... I think certain countries place too much emphasis on winning medals (gold in particular) when it should be about encouraging the players to do their best and continue to strive for excellence.
aerysa wrote:
. After all, the aim of competing is to go against the best, not win a medal. A medal is to acknowledge that you're one of the best

[quote="aerysa"]Because of the scandal, my country has a chance of winning a medal! ^^ I was watching the women's doubles today at lunch. Unfortunately didn't see how they did in the end (semi-finals), but I'm sure they did their best.

Maybe I'll get to watch some this weekend (I hope). But I know my country's badminton team made it to the semis (men's single and doubles) Wishing them all the best Very Happy
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:25 pm

Any updates on your country's standing?

It's hard to believe, but the Olympics are already half over!! It seems to go by so quickly.

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:42 pm

I watched the badminton finals, and we got the silver. The men's doubles crashed out at the semis though. and we didn't even get the bronze Sad yeah, time's really flying huh?
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:52 pm

And the Olympics is over~ Besides the silver my country also got a bronze for diving so we ended up 63rd. Not bad, actually. And America got the most gold. A throw off from our China prediction...
Back to top Go down
Nathye

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:28 am

It's over... Now I feel a little sad I think It was the first time I really saw the Olympics games, I just watched my favorites and just when they were shown in tv, but I think I will remember the games for some time Very Happy
I think I just made one post in this topic since the start ^^ so sorry for that Very Happy It's holidays

well my first country (I have 2 nationalities) got close to 20 and the other 69 Very Happy

what did you guys though about the closing ceremony?

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:56 am

No, I didn't. besides badminton, I didn't get to watch any of the other games or the opening and closing ceremony. A little sad, but oh well.
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:07 pm

It's funny how the ranking works... Some sites do it by medal count overall while others do it looking at the specific medals.

Anyways, my country did really well this year!! We got 18 medals in total ^__^ haha, vaaast improvement since we only got 5 medals the last time. 1 gold, a handful of silvers and mostly bronze.

As for the closing ceremony... I never watch those things. I dunno... They seem kind of boring to me... Laughing

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:07 pm

The ranking I usually see is based on the specific medals and not on the overall total. It might be unfair after all, if one country has more gold medals but beaten by another country that has more silver or bronze medals...

Wow, that is a vast difference. The bronze we won made history in my country because it's the first Olympic medal won by a national sportswoman and the first medal we won aside from badminton. We're really proud of her Very Happy

LOL, my friend loves watching the opening and closing ceremonies. But she said it still can't hold a candle to the one done by China in 2008. According to her, this is the first time she was more interested in the sports than in the closing ceremony Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:31 am

At the end, my birthcountry's got 2 medals, silver and bronze, definitely less than the last olympics.
Germany also won 'only' 44 medals, also less than the last olympics. Nonetheless that was fun to watch the games, sadly not lots of them, because of holiday (was somewhere with family).
As for closing and opening ceremonies, ermm...... I've watched neither of them, never a fan Embarassed
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:29 am

silvery wrote:
The ranking I usually see is based on the specific medals and not on the overall total. It might be unfair after all, if one country has more gold medals but beaten by another country that has more silver or bronze medals...
Well then... In that case, we're pretty low in ranking since we only got 1 gold medal, but we did really well - historically speaking and what not.

We also have a lot of "historic wins". A lot of the medals we won in whatever category were like aaages ago! It was funny because they would show a screen on TV which shows our historical record and a lot of them were either "never won a medal" or "won a medal in 1930s" Laughing

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:05 pm

lol, but at least your country did better than the previous games. I hope my country does better in the next games, but that remains to be seen four years from now...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: fighting for gold   Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:46 am

i wonder what the US and China are feeding their athletes nowadays, they just get better and faster. i hope they share it with us - the least fortunate countries. Very Happy i'm not really too particular about the medal counts and everything but i usually watch the final rounds when it is time for "fighting for gold." it just gets too intense and i don't know why but i cry more during these times whenever the athletes finish their course rather than watching a sappy movie.

and i'm happy that they did continue the bmx Very Happy. i wish there were more rounds and the routine much more elaborate.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Summer Olympics (London) 2012   

Back to top Go down

Summer Olympics (London) 2012
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2