Shojo Manhwa Scans

Download Scanlations from SMScans Here

BlogHomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
jollychick
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

I used to be all about the contemporary romances, but I found that it was hard for me to tolerate many of the lead females. While I was doing a random search on Goodreads, for nothing in particular, I came across some western historical. I had read several before I one author caught my eye, Cheryl St. John. She is my absolute favorite in the western setting.

The first title I read by her was His Secondhand Wife (which could also be labeled as ‘tortured hero’):

Noah Cutter was a man of his word.
Scarred in body and soul, rancher, Noah didn’t consider himself fit company for anyone. But when his brother’s philandering finally caught up with him, honor dictated that Noah claim his brother’s widow as his own.

Noah was about the most intimidating man Katherine had ever seen. Yet though one man’s false promises had already dashed her dreams, she instinctively trusted this stranger. And Kate suspected she’d only be a fool this time if she didn’t take a chance on Noah for the sake of herself - and her unborn child.

I’m a fan of Cheryl St. John because her westerns have great plots and interesting dialogue. But what I appreciate most is that her female leads aren’t duplicated. She’s gives each woman a different personality and outlook. She writes some to be more independent while others are completely shy and reserved. You should really check her out and His Secondhand Wife is good place to start!

Have you got a hankering for contemporary romance, historical (western, regency), medieval…? Who’re some of your favorite authors in that category? Which author and title do you feel best represents you choice?
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
jollychick
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:51 pm

aerysa wrote:
Waait... Why does Surprising Lord Jack make you shudder?!!
I had a really bad experience with a "woman dresses like man" romance, so whenever I see that description again I catch a flashback. I guess it's like a mild case of PTSD. I can't even remember the name of the story anymore scratch.

aerysa wrote:
And yay for The Rake and the Wallflower! I know it got a few bad reviews, but really... I didn't understand why. The things that they were criticizing it for weren't even all that important...
I agree with you. I thought it was really good. I read a few reviews and I felt like the problems they had with the book and characters didn't really reflect what the story was about. That would be why I disregarded them and read it anyway.

aerysa wrote:
Oh, and no, I'm not familiar with the name Ruth Ann Nordin. It's vaguely familiar-ish... But I definitely haven't read anything by her.
That seems to be the general consensus. No biggie.
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:29 pm

jollychick wrote:
I had a really bad experience with a "woman dresses like man" romance, so whenever I see that description again I catch a flashback. I guess it's like a mild case of PTSD. I can't even remember the name of the story anymore scratch.
Ahh... I guess that would do it. But really, I think there are equally ones that are well done. It's fun trying to see when the man realizes that the man/boy isn't really a man/boy, but really a woman.

I just read one recently that was fun and the charades lasted a long longer than I expected them to. As in, the guy didn't find out quite so quickly as I expected he would. It's called A Difficult Disguise so if you're up to it, you could give it a try.

I'm sure there are other ones too, but I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head.

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:16 pm

Well, for me any venue where the love story is conveyed in a way that I find enjoyable is appreciated. I like Contemporary Romances, Regency Romances, Western Romances, Medical Romances, School Romances, whatever....

I Never listen to critics of a book. I have never read an endorsement of a book. (In Calibre I do not dowload the rating for the metafile) I have over 3000 Romance Novels listen in my Calibre Program. I use it to search out the keyword of a romance story I may be interested in. Say a story with amnesia in it. I type in amnesia and read the description of the book in the metafile. If it interests me then I call it up and read the first chapter. If the writing style appeals to me; characters, an intro that grabs my interest, and the author's use of language then I'll transfer it to my reader; If not I go to the next and try it, until I find something I feel like reading.

I am one of those terrible people you see in book stores and libraries who take a stack of books and scans the first chapter to see if it interests me. Yeah we block aisles and hog seats; without shame...but we always get what we want read. If I spend less than 2 hours in abook store or library then something is really wrong; i.e. someone in my family is sick or something like that.

I am this way because I may be in a mood for a quasi medical amenisa story today or I could be more interested in a Romantic Suspense one, or pray tell a Regency Amnesia story. Tomorrow it may be that I'm interested in a Western Female Veterinarian's Love story with a Rancher or some Princes Palace problems. It's a mood thing for me. If the weather is dark and cold then melo-dramatic stories appeal to me. If the weather is bright and sunny then I might read a romantic comedy- or a real witty romance story....(So now you know I'm a moody person, whose mood is affected by the weather)

There are great stories in every genre and settings and I for one appeciate them all.
Back to top Go down
moon-2012
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Romance novels   Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:32 am

As for me i like historical romance very much and one of my favorite novels is
"Pride and Prejudice" for Jane Austen.
The story is very realistic and shows some motto in it, of course the other novels of Jane Austen are the same in still but each one has its charm so i advice any one who like romance to read the work of Jane Austen Very Happy
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:07 pm

I tend to spend about the same time in a bookstore as you, Swede. It's fun to browse around and see if there's a book that appeals to me. But sometimes I can't spend that much time there because I'm with friends but if I'm alone and I'm in the bigger bookstores, you may have to send rescue parties to locate me Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:22 pm

Well, i read depending on my mood. My favorite book setting is fantasy and vampires, like Twilight series, the golden compass, Harry Potter, the chronicles of Narnia. I also like mystery and crime books, but I'm very picky with those type of books, I rarely read them. Lately, I have been reading Romance novels by Victoria Alexander. I will recomend all of her books.
Overall, if I the book catch my interest I will read it regardless its theme. ^______^
Back to top Go down
jollychick
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:52 pm

aerysa wrote:
I just read one recently that was fun and the charades lasted a long longer than I expected them to. As in, the guy didn't find out quite so quickly as I expected he would. It's called A Difficult Disguise so if you're up to it, you could give it a try.
I really do need to get over this Embarassed. I'll look up your suggestion and give it a try. But yeah, it's kind of amazing how one sour experience with a story can completely ruin that particular plot device in all books Smile.
swedesamurai wrote:
I Never listen to critics of a book. I have never read an endorsement of a book. (In Calibre I do not dowload the rating for the metafile) I have over 3000 Romance Novels listen in my Calibre Program. I use it to search out the keyword of a romance story I may be interested in. Say a story with amnesia in it. I type in amnesia and read the description of the book in the metafile. If it interests me then I call it up and read the first chapter. If the writing style appeals to me; characters, an intro that grabs my interest, and the author's use of language then I'll transfer it to my reader; If not I go to the next and try it, until I find something I feel like reading.
I know what you mean. I have found many books I absolutely love, when most reviews I could find for the title complain about every little detail. In my case, I use the rating and tags in the metadata in Calibre for what I rate the book and using terms I normally search with. That way, when I'm looking for something to reread, I can find a novel with ease Cool.
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:33 am

jollychick wrote:
aerysa wrote:
I really do need to get over this Embarassed. I'll look up your suggestion and give it a try. But yeah, it's kind of amazing how one sour experience with a story can completely ruin that particular plot device in all books Smile.
hehe, that is a bit strange. I find that it doesn't ruin the plot device for me, but it ruins my image of that author. Like if you read one bad book, you don't want to read anymore from that person. Because really, people can use the same plot device and create something utterly amazing! While others just do something so completely wrong...

I sometimes rely on reviews, though I do realize that everyone has different tastes in books. But if 100 people review and 80% of them say bad things about it, I'd rather not give it a shot. I mean, there's so many things out there to read. I guess in that sense, I stick to authors I already know, though I have ventured out on a limb in some cases.

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:49 pm

aerysa wrote:

hehe, that is a bit strange. I find that it doesn't ruin the plot device for me, but it ruins my image of that author. Like if you read one bad book, you don't want to read anymore from that person. Because really, people can use the same plot device and create something utterly amazing! While others just do something so completely wrong...

I sometimes rely on reviews, though I do realize that everyone has different tastes in books. But if 100 people review and 80% of them say bad things about it, I'd rather not give it a shot. I mean, there's so many things out there to read. I guess in that sense, I stick to authors I already know, though I have ventured out on a limb in some cases.

Well, for me, I guess I'm a bit more forgiving. After all, If I read five books from one author and only one I didn't like, then maybe it was just me. There are cases where I also see when the book was published, because some authors get better with time. If their later works are better than their earlier ones, I may be ok with it, but not the other way around.

I usually look at the premise of the story and whether I like the characters before I decide. After all, most plot devices have been done to death by various authors:

1. Heroines who disguise as a boy
2. Rake who falls for a wallflower
3. Hero/heroine seeking revenge/restore family name/fortune
4. Hero being forced to marry because of family member's will/ dying wish
5. Fortune hunters (both hero and heroine)
6. Spies of the Crown
7. War heroes/ veterans
8. Secret identities

Anything I missed out? Wink These are usually in regency romances by the way, since that's the bulk of what I read.
Back to top Go down
jollychick
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:13 am

aerysa wrote:
hehe, that is a bit strange. I find that it doesn't ruin the plot device for me, but it ruins my image of that author. Like if you read one bad book, you don't want to read anymore from that person. Because really, people can use the same plot device and create something utterly amazing! While others just do something so completely wrong....
I know, right? It's weird to me, too. I guess it's just that when it's my first time coming across a certain type of story and the author really butchers it, I'm less inclined to try that plot again, let alone another by that same author Crying or Very sad. It's very true though, that different authors can take different (better) routes to tell a story with the same base.

silvery wrote:
Anything I missed out? Wink These are usually in regency romances by the way, since that's the bulk of what I read.
I think you pretty much covered it Laughing. But I do agree with you about some author's producing a personal lemon. I've read at least one not so great book from each author on my favorites list. There's no rule that everyone has to like everything that everybody produces.

I just finished Her Counterfeit Husband by Ruth Ann Nordin. It was really good. This is the second book in her Regency Collection trilogy. I liked this this one much more than the first installment, The Earl's Inconvenient Wife. But that's just because the chemistry between the couple wasn't completely there, for me anyway. I would definitely recommend her to regency fans, shocking because she's known for western romances. She did a great job and her female leads aren't redundant, something I always appreciate.
Back to top Go down
nippergryph2

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:26 pm

It is so hard to pick a favorite setting. I read them all: historical, western, fantasy, paranormal, contemporary, mystery, suspense, etc.

Favorite authors are: Linda Howard, Linda Winstead Jones, Lynsay Sands, Julia Quinn, Victoria Holt, Kerrelyn Sparks, Lisa Kleypas, Madeline Hunter, Shana Abe, and many more.
Back to top Go down
jollychick
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:23 am

nippergryph2 wrote:
It is so hard to pick a favorite setting. I read them all: historical, western, fantasy, paranormal, contemporary, mystery, suspense, etc.

Favorite authors are: Linda Howard, Linda Winstead Jones, Lynsay Sands, Julia Quinn, Victoria Holt, Kerrelyn Sparks, Lisa Kleypas, Madeline Hunter, Shana Abe, and many more.
Do you have any suggestions from Shana Abe? I don't have anything by her...yet Wink.
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:17 pm

silvery wrote:
Well, for me, I guess I'm a bit more forgiving. After all, If I read five books from one author and only one I didn't like, then maybe it was just me. There are cases where I also see when the book was published, because some authors get better with time. If their later works are better than their earlier ones, I may be ok with it, but not the other way around.
Well... If it's the first book you've read by that person, it's a bit difficult to get over that reserve, but if it's just one book out of a number that you've already read, it's different. For the most part, I don't check where the author is in the stage of their career, but yes, I would expect that they get better with time.

silvery wrote:
I usually look at the premise of the story and whether I like the characters before I decide. After all, most plot devices have been done to death by various authors:

6. Spies of the Crown
7. War heroes/ veterans
8. Secret identities

I'm not sure if this is the same as #5, but it's similar. But either the hero or heroine's family wanting to "increase" their status. You know, like a wealthy merchant family trying to gain access to the titled class. For #4, it could be the heroine as well - not getting her inheritance until she meets a certain requirement, which is typically getting married.

Other ones I can think of to add to your list:
9. Difference in class between hero and heroine
10. Endangered heroine in need of protection from hero (for whatever reason, whether by chance or was sent to protect her)
11. Reunion of spurned lovers
12. Heroine's childhood infatuation with older brother's friend (hero) and subsequently realizing the girl has become a (stunning, jaw-droppingly beautiful) woman
13. "Rivalry" (dislike) over former misunderstanding

I'm sure there's more, but those are the extras I can think of for now Razz

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:36 pm

silvery wrote:
aerysa wrote:

6. Spies of the Crown
7. War heroes/ veterans
8. Secret identities

and

aerysa wrote:

I'm not sure if this is the same as #5, but it's similar. But either the hero or heroine's family wanting to "increase" their status. You know, like a wealthy merchant family trying to gain access to the titled class. For #4, it could be the heroine as well - not getting her inheritance until she meets a certain requirement, which is typically getting married.

Other ones I can think of to add to your list:
9. Difference in class between hero and heroine
10. Endangered heroine in need of protection from hero (for whatever reason, whether by chance or was sent to protect her)
11. Reunion of spurned lovers
12. Heroine's childhood infatuation with older brother's friend (hero) and subsequently realizing the girl has become a (stunning, jaw-droppingly beautiful) woman
13. "Rivalry" (dislike) over former misunderstanding

I'm sure there's more, but those are the extras I can think of for now Razz

I agree with both of you...stories whether they are Regency or Contemporary all seem to fit into genral plot patterns boy have I read a lot in the past few months. But what attracts me to a story and to keep reading it is the combination of the characzters and the way that the author "paints" that unique "romantic dance" between the characters; each is done a bit differently but I think it is the skill of the author's ability to make the character's situations and emotions evoke something in me that draws me on to read their stories.

For Instance one of my favourite Rengecy Novels is called Major Westerhaven's Unwilling Ward by Emily Bascom. I like it because I like stories where the women are strong willed and Lily (The main female protagonist) is very self reliant but due to citcumstances as are common in Regeny novels she finds herself on the Ton looking for a husband. Enter The Major (Lord) Westerhaven distingusihed was veteran returning from the war in America with a dark secret makes his appearance on the Ton. Standard Regeny Fare from A to Z. but... Ms Bascom spins the story out so well I got trapped (much like the hapless Major) in the sweep of the story and was pulled along with it's intrigue sublimital attractions and dangerous turning points; you could say the this couples bumpy road was bumpier than most. I've read several of her books (Ms Bascoms) and found all of them to be well crafted.

So I guess what I'm saying is it is not so much that if the stories fall into these cliqués but how the story is crafted; determine if I find it enjoyable or not.

The only thing I do not agree to is the use of reviews and comments from readers. Because I like to make up my own mind if a story is good or not. What appeals to me may not appeal to you. I'm a very discriminating reader that has a lot of tolerance in writing style and character development (That's the point that entertains me the most) so I tend to make up my mind about a author or a story for myself dependent on their ability to craft the story to my liking. I learned as a teenie (Oh boy was that along time ago) to never read the back cover of a book or the endorsements. I open it and read it then I either enjoy it or reject it. People hate me in book stores and libraries because I always test read books before I buy them, thus clogging aisles and seats.

P.S. Added 12 Feb 2013 - Yes I get many strange looks by people especially women when they see me browse through Harlequin or Mills & Boon Books (Depends on which country I'm in) - You know a middle aged asian looking guy in a suit test reading Romance Novels. I ignore them - I like what I like - so often I just stare back at them, with a very judgemental look who says reading romamnce novels isn't fun!
Back to top Go down
nippergryph2

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:48 pm

jollychick wrote:
nippergryph2 wrote:

Do you have any suggestions from Shana Abe? I don't have anything by her...yet Wink.

Her Drakon Series is a good paranormal romance series.
Back to top Go down
jollychick
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:34 am

nippergryph2 wrote:
Her Drakon Series is a good paranormal romance series.

Thanks for the recommendation!! I haven't read a paranormal in quite some time, so it's pretty refreshing and fun. I just started The Smoke Thief and I like it so far.

Since you mentioned her, I also decided to try Mistress of Mellyn by Victoria Holt for hood measure Very Happy.
Back to top Go down
AdiDa
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:37 pm

wow....read all your post make me wanna try reading all listed novel..i never pay attention neither to the author nor setting..if the novel catch my attention then i just bought it regardless what... Laughing ..and to be honest i'm more into manga than novels.. Razz
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:11 am

AdiDa wrote:
wow....read all your post make me wanna try reading all listed novel..i never pay attention neither to the author nor setting..if the novel catch my attention then i just bought it regardless what... Laughing ..and to be honest i'm more into manga than novels.. Razz
Lol, well I can definitely understand that. Mangas are easy to read with the distraction of pretty (usually) pictures while novels are all words. But there's a lot from a good book that just can't be portrayed when it's simplified down to a manga, especially how HQ mangas tend to be one volume and two at most.

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:09 am

aerysa wrote:
Mangas are easy to read with the distraction of pretty (usually) pictures while novels are all words.
That "usually" would be the operative word Laughing! Though, to be fair, any of the HQ manga artists' worst artwork would be my best.
aerysa wrote:
But there's a lot from a good book that just can't be portrayed when it's simplified down to a manga, especially how HQ mangas tend to be one volume and two at most.
I have to agree with you there! Shocked I was shocked the first time I read through a HQ manga and realized that 1 volume was all I was going to get for that title. Sometimes, the mangas start to seem repetitive because they end up shaving off everything but the bare necessities to tell the story. They seriously should consider making the these manga no less than 2 volumes.
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:54 pm

One more I forgot to add!

14. Marriage of convenience.

It could be because of #4 or #5, but there could be other reasons so I thought it'd be good to give it it's own category.

@swede: I agree with the "I like what I like" quote. I gunpla (fix gundam models) because I saw my brother doing it and it really looked interesting. So yeah, I get looks too when I walk into a model shop and actually pick out not just the models but the paints, decals and sandpaper as well. I don't think any hobby or interest should be gender classified. Like what you like Wink
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:06 am

jollychick wrote:
That "usually" would be the operative word Laughing! Though, to be fair, any of the HQ manga artists' worst artwork would be my best.
haha, so true in my case too... But it doesn't mean I like all of the art. I'm picky Razz

jollychick wrote:
I have to agree with you there! Shocked I was shocked the first time I read through a HQ manga and realized that 1 volume was all I was going to get for that title. Sometimes, the mangas start to seem repetitive because they end up shaving off everything but the bare necessities to tell the story. They seriously should consider making the these manga no less than 2 volumes.
I know right?! Ooor... The other thing that happens is that it gets so choppy that the flow of the story is completely warped. You know, cuz they took out so much of the detail that it doesn't even seem to make sense anymore. There should be a happy medium... I find the two-volume ones are done much better because they have more room to share the original story.

silvery wrote:
@swede: I agree with the "I like what I like" quote. I gunpla (fix gundam models) because I saw my brother doing it and it really looked interesting. So yeah, I get looks too when I walk into a model shop and actually pick out not just the models but the paints, decals and sandpaper as well. I don't think any hobby or interest should be gender classified. Like what you like Wink
Definitely agree with the "like what you like" quote.

hehe, that's really cool that you're into models silvery! My uh, coolest hobby like that would be jewelry making I guess, which is pretty typically girly Laughing Not going to get any weird looks for that one.

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:05 pm

aerysa wrote:
jollychick wrote:
haha, so true in my case too... But it doesn't mean I like all of the art. I'm picky Razz

Haha, I agree. I'm more into the plot/ storyline than the drawings, although they do get brownie points with me if it's good Wink

aerysa wrote:
jollychick wrote:
I know right?! Ooor... The other thing that happens is that it gets so choppy that the flow of the story is completely warped. You know, cuz they took out so much of the detail that it doesn't even seem to make sense anymore. There should be a happy medium... I find the two-volume ones are done much better because they have more room to share the original story.

Hmm, that is one of the weaknesses of novel to manga form, especially if there's only one volume. But yeah, in general a two volume manga tends to get more of the original author's vision across than with one book.

[qupte="aerysa"]
silvery wrote:
Definitely agree with the "like what you like" quote.

hehe, that's really cool that you're into models silvery! My uh, coolest hobby like that would be jewelry making I guess, which is pretty typically girly Laughing Not going to get any weird looks for that one.[/quote]

Laughing I have a multitude of hobbies, but they're basically to do with craft or making stuff. I like making things and when I saw my brother fixing his models, (flipping through his modelling magazines also helped) I felt that I really wanted to try. Good thing my brother was nice to offer me tips and all.
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:19 pm

silvery wrote:
Haha, I agree. I'm more into the plot/ storyline than the drawings, although they do get brownie points with me if it's good Wink
Yeah, definitely!! Like a story can have really good art, but I'll still hate it if the storyline itself is ridiculously stupid.

silvery wrote:
Laughing I have a multitude of hobbies, but they're basically to do with craft or making stuff. I like making things and when I saw my brother fixing his models, (flipping through his modelling magazines also helped) I felt that I really wanted to try. Good thing my brother was nice to offer me tips and all.
hehe, that's totally cool that your brother doesn't mind. Me and my sister don't really share any hobbies besides the whole manga/anime thing. She's more of a reader and I'm more of a writer XD

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:58 pm

aerysa wrote:
silvery wrote:
Yeah, definitely!! Like a story can have really good art, but I'll still hate it if the storyline itself is ridiculously stupid.

Most definitely. If it's short, I'll finish it but well, I usually just ignore/give up if the story's too long. There have been those where I loved the storyline even though I was a little dissatisfied with the art. But then I realized that it's the artwork that makes it distinct and that the story might not be as interesting without it.

aerysa wrote:
silvery wrote:
hehe, that's totally cool that your brother doesn't mind. Me and my sister don't really share any hobbies besides the whole manga/anime thing. She's more of a reader and I'm more of a writer XD

Yeah, I'm glad too. Even though we share similar hobbies, the degrees in which we enjoy it are much different of course. Smile
Back to top Go down
jadegreentiger

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:38 pm

Just read a book, called Penelope (A Madcap Regency Romance) by Anya Wylde - it is a regency romance novel, but no smut - - but it is absolutely hilarious. Although I did not like the attitude of the Duke, the book had me laughing out loud throughout the book.

It's also only 99 cents on amazon. The author is a new author and if you e-mail her she will send her next book to readers for free.

Here is the description on Amazon.

Leaving behind the rural charms of Finnshire, Miss Penelope Fairweather arrives in London with hope in her heart and a dream in her eye. The dowager, no less, has invited her for a season in London, where she will attempt to catch a husband.

Thus begins our heroine's tale as she attempts to tackle the London season with all her rustic finesse. Unfortunately, her rustic finesse turns out to be as delicate as a fat bear trying to rip apart a honeycomb infested with buzzing bees.

What follows is a series of misadventures, love affairs, moonlit balls, fancy clothes, fake moustaches, highwaymen, sneering beauties, pickpockets, and the wrath of a devilishly handsome duke.

I'm a Regency romance novel person and the authors I like are Lisa Kleypas (Wallflower and Hathaway series) and Julia Quinn (Brigerton series)

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   

Back to top Go down

Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next