Shojo Manhwa Scans

Download Scanlations from SMScans Here

BlogHomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
jollychick
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

I used to be all about the contemporary romances, but I found that it was hard for me to tolerate many of the lead females. While I was doing a random search on Goodreads, for nothing in particular, I came across some western historical. I had read several before I one author caught my eye, Cheryl St. John. She is my absolute favorite in the western setting.

The first title I read by her was His Secondhand Wife (which could also be labeled as ‘tortured hero’):

Noah Cutter was a man of his word.
Scarred in body and soul, rancher, Noah didn’t consider himself fit company for anyone. But when his brother’s philandering finally caught up with him, honor dictated that Noah claim his brother’s widow as his own.

Noah was about the most intimidating man Katherine had ever seen. Yet though one man’s false promises had already dashed her dreams, she instinctively trusted this stranger. And Kate suspected she’d only be a fool this time if she didn’t take a chance on Noah for the sake of herself - and her unborn child.

I’m a fan of Cheryl St. John because her westerns have great plots and interesting dialogue. But what I appreciate most is that her female leads aren’t duplicated. She’s gives each woman a different personality and outlook. She writes some to be more independent while others are completely shy and reserved. You should really check her out and His Secondhand Wife is good place to start!

Have you got a hankering for contemporary romance, historical (western, regency), medieval…? Who’re some of your favorite authors in that category? Which author and title do you feel best represents you choice?
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
jollychick
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:15 am

jadegreentiger wrote:
Just read a book, called Penelope (A Madcap Regency Romance) by Anya Wylde - it is a regency romance novel, but no smut - - but it is absolutely hilarious. Although I did not like the attitude of the Duke, the book had me laughing out loud throughout the book.

It's also only 99 cents on amazon. The author is a new author and if you e-mail her she will send her next book to readers for free.
Thanks for the info Very Happy! I'm always looking for new authors to add to my list. I tend to prefer the cocky/dominant male leads Embarassed, but there are times when it's taken too far.
aerysa wrote:
haha, so true in my case too... But it doesn't mean I like all of the art. I'm picky Razz
Same here. Sometimes it's the little things like: eye spacing, face shape...KNEES! Laughing My imagination can conjure some pretty hot guys, given enough detail, but when I'm reading a novel in manga form, I shouldn't have to guess which guy the hero is. He's supposed to be the most attractive dude, but it can be difficult to tell when all the guys look the same.
aerysa wrote:
There should be a happy medium... I find the two-volume ones are done much better because they have more room to share the original story.
It seems pretty obvious to most people on here. Maybe we should write our congressmen Laughing.
silvery wrote:
Laughing I have a multitude of hobbies, but they're basically to do with craft or making stuff. I like making things and when I saw my brother fixing his models, (flipping through his modelling magazines also helped) I felt that I really wanted to try. Good thing my brother was nice to offer me tips and all.
I'm into my nails. I usually do new designs once a week. I don't get the acrylic/fake nails since, if I just leave my nails alone, they'll grow pretty long. I do love to play games though so, often times, when I'm playing online others are always asking "Are you really a girl?" Laughing. Very odd Shocked.
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:58 pm

jadegreentiger wrote:
Just read a book, called Penelope (A Madcap Regency Romance) by Anya Wylde - it is a regency romance novel, but no smut - - but it is absolutely hilarious. Although I did not like the attitude of the Duke, the book had me laughing out loud throughout the book.
Ooh, I love books like that! I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the recommendation! ^^

jollychick wrote:
Same here. Sometimes it's the little things like: eye spacing, face shape...KNEES! Laughing My imagination can conjure some pretty hot guys, given enough detail, but when I'm reading a novel in manga form, I shouldn't have to guess which guy the hero is. He's supposed to be the most attractive dude, but it can be difficult to tell when all the guys look the same.
haha, riiight? Or just the style isn't very pretty so even thought he's SUPPOSED to be hot, drop dead gorgeous and like a Greek god, all rolled into one... And he's not... Yuck. For me, I reaaally don't like angular styles (think Man of Ice) since everything is so sharp and pointy. People in real life are not even close to that at all! So in general, I like the softer styles, like Fujita Kazuko.

silvery wrote:
Laughing I have a multitude of hobbies, but they're basically to do with craft or making stuff. I like making things and when I saw my brother fixing his models, (flipping through his modelling magazines also helped) I felt that I really wanted to try. Good thing my brother was nice to offer me tips and all.
Still cool! When other people look like they're having fun, then it makes things seem more interesting, even if it doesn't originally catch your eye as something fun Razz When I was younger, me and my sister would do quite a few puzzles together, especially those 3D ones. It was fun, until you lose pieces... Which we had a great tendency of doing... Rolling Eyes

jollychick wrote:
I'm into my nails. I usually do new designs once a week. I don't get the acrylic/fake nails since, if I just leave my nails alone, they'll grow pretty long. I do love to play games though so, often times, when I'm playing online others are always asking "Are you really a girl?" Laughing. Very odd Shocked.
That's super cool. One of my friends is like that and she's ALWAYS doing her nails! Some of her stuff is really awesome and she likes posting pictures of her work on Facebook Smile As for me, I'm waaay too lazy to do my nails, but I'm the "hair" girl. The type who always has a different hair style every day and does fancy things to it. People are always amazed by how many styles I can do cuz they look really fancy/hard, when it only takes me 5 minutes~

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:35 pm

aerysa wrote:
That's super cool. One of my friends is like that and she's ALWAYS doing her nails! Some of her stuff is really awesome and she likes posting pictures of her work on Facebook Smile As for me, I'm waaay too lazy to do my nails, but I'm the "hair" girl. The type who always has a different hair style every day and does fancy things to it. People are always amazed by how many styles I can do cuz they look really fancy/hard, when it only takes me 5 minutes~
I take pictures of my nails, but they're currently gracing my computer's hard drive, though I am considering putting them on Photobucket or something. UGH!!! I'm so jealous! I'm pretty used to long hair, but I recently cut a good 5~6 inches (really damaged) and now I'm so lost it's frustrating. I gots no idea what to do with shorter hair since it hasn't been this short in 10 years Crying or Very sad! I wish I could could just just throw my hair together in 5 minutes Shocked. It'll take me that long to get my bangs swiped at the right angle Laughing. Nails are like a cake-walk to me, compared to hair.
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:05 pm

jollychick wrote:
I take pictures of my nails, but they're currently gracing my computer's hard drive, though I am considering putting them on Photobucket or something. UGH!!! I'm so jealous! I'm pretty used to long hair, but I recently cut a good 5~6 inches (really damaged) and now I'm so lost it's frustrating. I gots no idea what to do with shorter hair since it hasn't been this short in 10 years Crying or Very sad! I wish I could could just just throw my hair together in 5 minutes Shocked. It'll take me that long to get my bangs swiped at the right angle Laughing. Nails are like a cake-walk to me, compared to hair.
That's what my friend does and I do that with hairstyles ^^ Not all of them, but some of my fancier ones. Then I show off to my friends~

Oh ouch! I feel your pain. Sometimes I get really sick of my hair since it's so long (halfway down my back) and feel like chopping it off. But once the insanity passes (Laughing) I realize it's a terrible idea since I've done it before and hated it. Then it took sooo long to grow it back out!!

haha, that long just to get your bangs right? I usually just use my flat iron to give it some shape since my bangs are usually flat. If I put my hair up, it's usually in some kind of braid (French braid, fishtail braid, etc.) or a bun where I use my pretty accessories (hair sticks, etc.) There have been times where I "documented" a hairstyle and then I couldn't remember what the heck I did! So I can't replicate it... It's really frustrating sometimes Razz

(I'm going to start a thread for this so don't spam this thread as we stray off topic XD)

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:51 pm

Looking forward to Julia Quinn's Brigerton family epilogues book that is coming out. Anyone else looking forward to the book? I have read most all the Brigerton books and can't wait.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:31 pm

just looked up the Brigerton series and i have to read it now dukes are right up my alley! sounds like I'll really enjoy it since i liked the rogues of London books by connie mason
Back to top Go down
jollychick
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:19 pm

jadegreentiger wrote:
Looking forward to Julia Quinn's Brigerton family epilogues book that is coming out. Anyone else looking forward to the book? I have read most all the Brigerton books and can't wait.
StarKat wrote:
just looked up the Brigerton series and i have to read it now dukes are right up my alley! sounds like I'll really enjoy it since i liked the rogues of London books by connie mason
I absolutely loved The Duke And I and The Viscount Who Loved Me, but I've been sooo backed up with other books on my shelf that's it's been hard for me to read the others in this series. Most people here have great things to say about the series as a whole, so I'm really looking forward to the rest of them (They're sitting in my ereader library, waiting patiently for me Razz). I'll be getting the epilogues as soon as they come out, but I really need to finish the rest before I read it.
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:47 pm

jollychick wrote:
jadegreentiger wrote:
StarKat wrote:
I absolutely loved The Duke And I and The Viscount Who Loved Me, but I've been sooo backed up with other books on my shelf that's it's been hard for me to read the others in this series. Most people here have great things to say about the series as a whole, so I'm really looking forward to the rest of them (They're sitting in my ereader library, waiting patiently for me Razz). I'll be getting the epilogues as soon as they come out, but I really need to finish the rest before I read it.

Yes, you do. Really, it's a joy to read them. Also, I have to recommend Lady Whistledown strikes back It's a novella written by Julia Quinn, Suzanne Enoch, Mia Ryan and Karen Hawkins. It of course has Lady Whistledown, the engmatic gossip writer from books one to four of the Bridgerton series. I loved how there's interaction from characters from one novella with another but that their stories are basically separate. Courtship and romance was about two to three weeks long but it did feel a bit rushed (on account of the page limitations) but it's still an enjoyable read. Lady Whistledown's columns were all written by Julia Quinn and you can see cameos by some of the author's other characters (I only recognized Julia Quinn's but I think the other authors did the same)
Back to top Go down
jollychick
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:41 am

silvery wrote:
Yes, you do. Really, it's a joy to read them. Also, I have to recommend Lady Whistledown strikes back It's a novella written by Julia Quinn, Suzanne Enoch, Mia Ryan and Karen Hawkins. It of course has Lady Whistledown, the engmatic gossip writer from books one to four of the Bridgerton series. I loved how there's interaction from characters from one novella with another but that their stories are basically separate. Courtship and romance was about two to three weeks long but it did feel a bit rushed (on account of the page limitations) but it's still an enjoyable read. Lady Whistledown's columns were all written by Julia Quinn and you can see cameos by some of the author's other characters (I only recognized Julia Quinn's but I think the other authors did the same)
I know, I know. I need to read the rest to fully enjoy any characters that may pop up from time to time. My problem is that I treat historical romances like Pokemon because my motto is Gotta catch'em all Laughing or so it would seem. I didn't know about Lady Whistledown Strikes back. I'll check it out. I'm all for more Julia Quinn books Very Happy!
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:46 pm

jollychick wrote:

I know, I know. I need to read the rest to fully enjoy any characters that may pop up from time to time. My problem is that I treat historical romances like Pokemon because my motto is Gotta catch'em all Laughing or so it would seem. I didn't know about Lady Whistledown Strikes back. I'll check it out. I'm all for more Julia Quinn books Very Happy!

There's supposedly another anthology before this The further observations of Lady Whistledown also written by the same set of authors. Haven't found it yet but I believe it should be as interesting. The characters that Julia Quinn introduced are up till her fourth book, Romancing Mr Bridgerton she also included a character from her earlier works as well.

I also understand the feeling of wanting to collect them all... that's exactly how I am with authors I love. I absolutely want their books, even if it means there's no space in the shelves for them... ^_^;
Back to top Go down
jadegreentiger

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Thu May 09, 2013 1:54 pm

I have not read the Lady Whistledown books yet. I generally like anthologies. Do the stories overlap or are they completely separate stories? Any other Julia Quinn novels or novellas that you recommend?
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Thu May 09, 2013 2:31 pm

jadegreentiger wrote:
I have not read the Lady Whistledown books yet. I generally like anthologies. Do the stories overlap or are they completely separate stories? Any other Julia Quinn novels or novellas that you recommend?

The stories overlap a little, in which the start of the plot was that a bracelet has been stolen at a dinner party and some of the guests who attended are accused of the theft. Then the characters go their separate ways but meet one another at balls or events. One heroine is friends with another who happens to be cousins to a third... those kind of relationships. The other main similarity is that there's a Lady Whistledown comment at the start of each chapter.

Hmm, if you haven't read the Smythe-Smith Quartet novels, they're good. And if you want more of the Bridgertons, the Bridgerton 2nd Epilogues are out. The other Julia Quinn anthology that she's written is in the Lady most... series. You can download most of what I've recommended in the e-book discussions of the forums. Hope that helped ^_^
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Sat May 11, 2013 12:59 pm

my favorite romance novel setting is the regency period and I have to go with the classics...Jane Austen; there is not one book of hers that I do not love..i guess it all began from there and grew...House of Mirth and, Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton another two favorites....Paranormal/dystopian romances would be next on the list.
Back to top Go down
jadegreentiger

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Wed May 22, 2013 4:47 pm

I found a new author in historical romance: Erin Knightley

I just finished her novella Ruined by a Rake - fun and short.

However, I am currently reading the book More Than a Stranger. So far, I love the book. I love how it started with letters. They letters start off funny too.

Here is a description of the book from amazon:
When his family abandoned him at Eton, Benedict Hastings found an unexpected ally in his best friend’s sister. Her letters kept him going—until the day he had to leave everything behind. Years later, Benedict has seen his share of betrayal, but when treachery hits close to home, he turns to his old friend for safe haven….

After five torturous years on the marriage circuit, Lady Evelyn Moore is finally free to live her life as she wishes. So when her brother shows up with a dashing stranger, she finds herself torn between her dreams...and newfound desires. Despite his determination to keep Evie at a distance, Benedict cannot deny the attraction that began with a secret correspondence. Yet as they begin to discover one another, the dangers of Benedict’s world find them, threatening their lives, their love, and everything they thought they could never have…

Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Thu May 23, 2013 10:53 am

jadegreentiger wrote:
I found a new author in historical romance: Erin Knightley

I just finished her novella Ruined by a Rake - fun and short.

However, I am currently reading the book More Than a Stranger. So far, I love the book. I love how it started with letters. They letters start off funny too.

Here is a description of the book from amazon:
When his family abandoned him at Eton, Benedict Hastings found an unexpected ally in his best friend’s sister. Her letters kept him going—until the day he had to leave everything behind. Years later, Benedict has seen his share of betrayal, but when treachery hits close to home, he turns to his old friend for safe haven….

After five torturous years on the marriage circuit, Lady Evelyn Moore is finally free to live her life as she wishes. So when her brother shows up with a dashing stranger, she finds herself torn between her dreams...and newfound desires. Despite his determination to keep Evie at a distance, Benedict cannot deny the attraction that began with a secret correspondence. Yet as they begin to discover one another, the dangers of Benedict’s world find them, threatening their lives, their love, and everything they thought they could never have…
Oooh, she's a pretty new writer. I'll have to check out the novella! I don't have the time to commit to a full length novel, but a quickie one should be good - especially if it comes recommended Smile

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:34 pm

jadegreentiger wrote:
I found a new author in historical romance:  Erin Knightley...

However, I am currently reading the book More Than a Stranger.  So far, I love the book.  I love how it started with letters.  They letters start off funny too. ...

I just finished reading this.  I read the description and it sounded good to me so I got the book and read it.  It was was really an enjoyable book.

I don't often read historical romances or historical fiction for that matter.  I'm a history buff, and I have a tendency to nit-pick about historical accuracy and some times it interferes with me enjoying a story.  Two things in this book struck me as not being period relavant:
    1.  Once Hastings (Benedict) opens a door and it says it opens by the milimeter (In Regency England the English measure was used and only the arch-enemy France used the metric system - so to put an correct feeling to the door opening incrementally one should use: "slowly open by inches" or "slowly the door crept open" both would have been more apat.
    2.  In one of the letter excerpts is used the word chauvenist - Granted most male characters in Romance novels are chauvis - The word usage would not have existed in Regency times - masculine or the more vulgar (in those times) manly would have been better.

But I'm one of those idiots who watches historical movies for inaccuracies all the time.  Like watching a War movie about Guadalcanal where it shows US Marines with M1 Garands when the USMC only had the 1903 Springfields.  I'm even worse with westerns and don't get me started on knights and their armour.
But I'm wandering again...Even with these types of faux pas the book is really good.

The scene in the garden, the giving of the "Taming of the Shrew" book, Evie's tearing after Hastings toward the climax of the book as well a those impertinent letters was really enjoyable-But the character of Evie is so well done, she makes the book.

Last edited by swedesamurai on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Gramatical and typos caused by posting with the flu.)
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:56 am

swedesamurai wrote:

I just finished reading this. I read the description and it sounded good to me so I got the book and read it. It was was really an enjoyable book.

I don't often read historical romances or historical fiction for that matter. I'm a history buff, and I have a tendency to nit-pick about historical accuracy and some times it interferes with me enjoying a story. Two things in this book struck me as not being period relavant:
1. Once Hastings (Benedict) opens a door and it says it opens by the milimeter (In Regency England the English measure was used and only the arch-enemy France used the metric system - so to put an corrrect feeling to the door opening incrementally i.e slowly open by inches or crept open would be more apat.
2. In one of the letter excerpts is used the word chauvenist - Granted most male characters in Romance novels are chauvis - The word usage would not have existed in Regency times - masuline or the more vulgar (in those times) manly would have been better.

But I'm one of those idiots who watches historical movies for inaccuracies all the time. Like watching a War movie about Guadalcanal where it shows US Marines with M1 Garands when the USMC only had the 1903 Springfields. I'm even worse with westerns and don't get me started on knights and their amour.
But I'm wandering again...Even with these types of faux pas the book is really good.

The scene in the garden, the giving of the "Taming of the Shrew" book, Evie's tearing after Hastings toward the climax of the book as well a those impertinent letters was really enjoyable-But the character of Evie is so well done, she makes the book.

It's ok to nit pick, some of us do that too. If I doubt the historical accuracy of a story, I will check it up too. I think that while a story should be entertaining, I think the author should check up their facts and not take a reader for a fool. Glaring errors make it seem as it the author , the editor and publisher were just trying to milk the readers' money.
of course, I doubt I'd have found the errors you found, Swede.
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:46 pm

swedesamurai wrote:
I just finished reading this. I read the description and it sounded good to me so I got the book and read it. It was was really an enjoyable book.

I don't often read historical romances or historical fiction for that matter. I'm a history buff, and I have a tendency to nit-pick about historical accuracy and some times it interferes with me enjoying a story. Two things in this book struck me as not being period relavant:
1. Once Hastings (Benedict) opens a door and it says it opens by the milimeter (In Regency England the English measure was used and only the arch-enemy France used the metric system - so to put an corrrect feeling to the door opening incrementally i.e slowly open by inches or crept open would be more apat.
2. In one of the letter excerpts is used the word chauvenist - Granted most male characters in Romance novels are chauvis - The word usage would not have existed in Regency times - masuline or the more vulgar (in those times) manly would have been better.

But I'm one of those idiots who watches historical movies for inaccuracies all the time. Like watching a War movie about Guadalcanal where it shows US Marines with M1 Garands when the USMC only had the 1903 Springfields. I'm even worse with westerns and don't get me started on knights and their amour.

Oh wow, that is really particular of you to notice that sort of thing. Considering the fact that I hardly know any history, I wouldn't have realized anything like that. It's alright to nit-pick though, especially if you know your stuff. Though it's fiction, it should still have a sense of credibility to it. That's part of the art of writing - to have a sense of realism to it, though it's not true. The story itself might not be true, but that time period is.

I'm sure it's something that would come with experience since she seems to be new to the scene. And it's not glaringly obvious errors so it shouldn't detract from the story too much.

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:33 am

I imagine it is really hard for people to write historical novels.  The basics of the romance parts and interpersonal relationships in such a novel would remain the same as they have since Men and Women were created.  But writing an historical novel would entail much care and research into the period that the story takes place in.
One has to avoid technology creep, these place a physical constraint on the time period used.  For example you would never have a Regency hero using a six-shooter nor the female protagonists in the same period wearing a white wedding dress (As we all know that only came into fashion because of Queen Victoria's wedding to Prince Albert in 1840).
But social norms and mores of the time would help shape the characters in the novel, too often the characters have a too highly development of a 20th or 21st century world view.  In other words these characters are politically correct for our times.  But they would have been woeful social outcasts in their times.
When reading 18th and 19th Century English language books and articles you can see that people expressed themselves in a different manner.  Just read Jane Austen-The people were the products of their times.  Granted most Americans can't read on level that allows them to comprehend 18th and 19th Century literature let alone to enjoy it.  
The English Language has devolved into a simpler and much easier version to read. Whereas when I was in the 12th grade and read at that level-which meant also middle and old English-Today judging from what I have seen as products of the public education in the US the actual reading level for someone finishing the 12th grade would have been equivalent to the 8th grade in my day.
This means that for a historical novel to be read it must be written in today's devoluted form of English.  While it is possible to convey scene descriptions or 3d person omi-potent descriptions of the thought processes; the actual conversations and dialogue should be kept in the 19th century venacular.  This I think is the hardest part.  To bounce back and forth between the 21st Century and the 19th Century in one paragraph.  And to use 19th Century word structure and syntax in a simplified manner so that the devolved reader can understand and enjoy it. It can be done but it takes an exceptional story-teller to do it.
That being said I am in the process of writing and historical novel but from the late 19th Century. It will revolve around a very unique woman.  My Great Grandmother,  She came from a upper middle-class mercantile family from Sweden.  Her father was consigned by the family head to take his nuclear family to America and establish a sunsidary of the Stockholm parent company.  He was to move to an area, in Iowa, that had predominately Swedes in it and set-up shop.  Well Great Great Gandfather failed and rather than see his family improvish took his wife, two sons and daughter back to Stockholm.  
The daughter Helga violently protested - Man was my Great Grandmother a Fire Eater.  (My Grandfather told me any one confronting his mother would always be apt to ask "Who put the Hell in Helga?") She had fallen in love with a Swedish farmer-My Great Grandfather, Anton; but at 16 she was forciably taken back to Sweden.(Note in this time period it was common to marry and start a family at 16.)
She waited and horded money and when she turned 18 she ran away from home and went to America by herself.  Where she had found out that Anton had sold his farm and moved to Minnesota.  (From a broken heart after Helga left) Ah, but Helga wanted her man and come hell or high water she was going to get him.  She doggedly tracked him down and they had their happily ever after.
But to do this story correctly I have to study the conditions in Sweden, in 1890-1894 and to describe the Swedish immigrants in Iowa and Minnesota during the same time.  Also since Swedish emmigration was controlled how did my Great Grandmother slip pass both the Swedish and US officals to get back the Mid-West of the US unescorted?  If it was Helga she could and obviously did it; since I'm her and Anton's decendant.

Last edited by swedesamurai on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Several grammar mistakes and typos-Never post when you have the flu!)
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:32 am

A bit TL;DR... So I apologize for that. But I got the gist of what you're saying swede.

I guess it's more obvious for you growing up in an earlier generation. I mean, even for me -- to compare my education to the ones children are getting now I see a gap. So how much more so for you? Not to mention, all this controversy that arises in this aim for "fairness".

Children are not allowed to receive zeros on their assignments/exams, even if they don't hand it in. They don't fail and repeat a grade, even if they don't pass the required curriculum...

I heard on the radio the other day that rather than getting an award for winning, there's now this policy that everyone gets an award/reward. There's no "valedictorian" because they don't want to single out anyone over the rest... I didn't hear all of the discussion, so I don't know exactly where this is happening, but that sort of thing in general... That's the way the world is viewing how children should be brought up nowadays. Perhaps an extreme viewpoint held by a few, but still!

In my opinion, it's setting them up for failure because life ISN'T fair. Never has been and never will be. Better to learn that sooner rather than later (too late).

Anyways... Back on track to the topic of historical romances.

I guess not having that in-depth study of literature and language like you did, I can appreciate it more on a superficial level. After all, when you're reading fiction, it's for enjoyment sake more than learning. Not to mention that I'm not a history buff either. I just like the time period with the societal whims that we would never see nowadays and couldn't tell you which era the story is really even set in. Embarassed

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:00 pm

hmm... I think that in a sense, a lot of things have been dumbed down, when it comes to education. I think this doesn't just have to do with the kids themselves, but also with the administration. I know that in my country, the test scores aren't set in stone. If the national exams are particularly hard that year, then the passing mark and hence the marks to get an A will be lowered. And every one starts the mad dash for straight As. At least the emphasis is shifting to having a well rounded student than an exam oriented one. It's a true story to say that most of us (in my exam oriented generation) cannot remember most of what was taught in school anymore.

But Swede, I think your great grandmother was amazing. For a woman to do what she did, in that age... I don't think there are many women out there who would do that, even today. And in those days, finding a person really is like finding a needle in a haystack. I think I'd love to read her story Smile
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:44 pm

Well it's the decision of administration, thinking it's helping children when really it's not. It's really quite sad how lax the standards have become. There are some basic things that children aren't even learning... Like basic spelling and grammar.

As for the grading you're talking about, it's called grading on a curve - using the bell curve. Statistically speaking, the normal distribution should be on a bell curve where 75% or so should fall within that central section. So if the average is say 60%, then they readjust the letter grading accordingly... But really, I've only see that used in university/college, if it's even used at all.

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:26 am

There are so many! Probably Devil in Winter by Lisa Kleypas.

"Easily the shyest Wallflower, Evangeline Jenner stands to become the wealthiest, once her inheritance comes due. Because she must first escape the clutches of her unscrupulous relatives, Evie has approached the rake Viscount St. Vincent with a most outrageous proposition: marriage!"

I'm just a sucker for seemingly pushover heroines and seemingly superficial heroes.
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:44 am

Hmm, i recently finished quite a few books that was shared. Would it be better to put the reviews here or in the "sharing Harlequin and other e-books" page? just asking for opinions.
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:37 am

Both a good and valid question. I started a "Book Review" thread for you since that probably works better. You may not have particularly enjoyed the book, so I wouldn't want to force you to put it in a "Favorite" thread Razz

Let's try and keep things on topic ^__~

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   

Back to top Go down

Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next