Shojo Manhwa Scans

Download Scanlations from SMScans Here

BlogHomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
jollychick
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

I used to be all about the contemporary romances, but I found that it was hard for me to tolerate many of the lead females. While I was doing a random search on Goodreads, for nothing in particular, I came across some western historical. I had read several before I one author caught my eye, Cheryl St. John. She is my absolute favorite in the western setting.

The first title I read by her was His Secondhand Wife (which could also be labeled as ‘tortured hero’):

Noah Cutter was a man of his word.
Scarred in body and soul, rancher, Noah didn’t consider himself fit company for anyone. But when his brother’s philandering finally caught up with him, honor dictated that Noah claim his brother’s widow as his own.

Noah was about the most intimidating man Katherine had ever seen. Yet though one man’s false promises had already dashed her dreams, she instinctively trusted this stranger. And Kate suspected she’d only be a fool this time if she didn’t take a chance on Noah for the sake of herself - and her unborn child.

I’m a fan of Cheryl St. John because her westerns have great plots and interesting dialogue. But what I appreciate most is that her female leads aren’t duplicated. She’s gives each woman a different personality and outlook. She writes some to be more independent while others are completely shy and reserved. You should really check her out and His Secondhand Wife is good place to start!

Have you got a hankering for contemporary romance, historical (western, regency), medieval…? Who’re some of your favorite authors in that category? Which author and title do you feel best represents you choice?
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:56 pm

Good point. Thanks
Back to top Go down
hammershoney315

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:45 pm

My favorite romance genre is romance, and I am a fan of almost all but contemporary romances. I like historical, though no particular period, and I like paranormal.

My favorite historical authors are:

Stephanie Laurens
Julia Quinn
Lisa Kleypas
Gaelen Foley
Amanda Quick
Teresa Medeiros
Suzanne Enoch
Mary Balogh
Catherine Coulter
Johanna Lindsey
Christina Dodd
Linda Lael Miller
Karen Hawkins
Kat Martin
Jude Deveraux
Jillian Hunter
Janelle Taylor
Victoria Alexander
Sabrina Jeffries
Julie Garwood
Jo Goodman
Cathy Maxwell
Judith McNaught

I think my all time favorite has got to be Stephanie Laurens. If you haven't read her Cynster series, I highly recommend it. There are quite a few books to this series beginning with Devil's Bride. The Cynster novels begin with the Duke's love story. His nickname is Devil. Subsequent books deal with his brother 'Scandal' and his cousins 'Vane', 'Demon', 'Gabriel', and 'Lucifer'. Together they are the 'Bar Cynster'. Then like Johanna Lindsey's Malory series, it branches out to other family members. I also recommend her Bastion Club series.

My favorite paranormal authors are:

Sherrilyn Kenyon
Amanda Ashley
Christine Feehan
Johanna Lindsey, Christina Dodd, Janelle Taylor, and Linda Lael Miller also did a few paranormal romances as well as their historicals.

My all time favorite paranormal series is Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter series. Which, by the way, is being issued now in manga format, although the sex is severely edited from the original novels.

Last edited by hammershoney315 on Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
goddessari
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:12 am

I definitely have a few authors that are a favorite of mine. Laurell K Hamilton, Jennifer Crusie, Janet Evanovich (Stephanie Plum series only), P.C. Cast, Karen Monning, and Sunny. I am excited to read through the other posts to see other recommendations! Smile
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:03 pm

goddessari wrote:
I definitely have a few authors that are a favorite of mine. Laurell K Hamilton, Jennifer Crusie, Janet Evanovich (Stephanie Plum series only), P.C. Cast, Karen Monning, and Sunny. I am excited to read through the other posts to see other recommendations! Smile

Are they romance authors? Could you recommend any of their works, since this is the first time I've heard about them, to be honest. Enjoy our recommendations. Also, if you have any books you'd like to review or recommend, aerysa set up a page especially for that Very Happy
Back to top Go down
usoppnomiko
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:24 pm

I also like Regencies and Historical settings more than modern day ones. Some of my favorite romance authors include Nora Roberts, Julia Quinn, Eloisa James, Gaelen Foley, Sabrina Jeffries, Julie Garwood, Jude Deveraux, Liz Carlyle, Kinley MacGregor and a whole slew of others. queen 
Back to top Go down
http://www.usoppnomiko.insanejournal.com
junji0905
Cool User
Cool User

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:45 pm

I love historical romance especially those with Regency and Victorian settings. How I wish I lived during that time. My favorite authors are:

- Lisa Kleypas - I've read all of her books. My first historical romance book is 'Again The Magic'. My favorite LK books are 'The Wallflowers' and 'The Hathaways'.

- Stephanie Laurens - I was looking for other historical romance books and got so intrigued with her 'The Bar Cynster'. I love the Cynsters.

- Julia Quinn - What I like about her is her wit and sense of humor. Her books remind me of Jane Austen. I'm in love with the Bridgertons. I first read 'Romancing Mr. Bridgerton'. My favorite JQ book is 'An Offer From A Gentleman', a Cinderella like story.

I also read books by Gaelen Foley, Judith McNaught, Johanna Lindsey, and Kinley MacGregor.
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:32 am

silvery wrote:
goddessari wrote:

Are they romance authors? Could you recommend any of their works, since this is the first time I've heard about them, to be honest. Enjoy our recommendations. Also, if you have any books you'd like to review or recommend, aerysa set up a page especially for that Very Happy
I believe Jennifer Crusie does contemporary romance and PC Cast does fantasy. Those are the only names that are kind of familiar, but I've never read any of their work. Seen some of their books at the bookstore.

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:35 am

Oh! that would explain why I've never heard of them... I'm such a regency fan that I seldom look at other titles... Embarassed 
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:49 pm

Lol, I totally know what you mean! The only contemporary authors I know are the big names like Nora Roberts and what not. Besides the few supernaturals that I've read, I've never read any other sub-genres.

Which is a bit strange, now that I think about it... I mean, I enjoy fantasy novels, but *shrugs* Never read a fantasy-romance type.

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author   Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:22 pm

I love reading novels in general and my favorite types are classic novels of Historical Romance, mystery,fantasies and Drama .Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:52 am

aerysa wrote:
Lol, I totally know what you mean! The only contemporary authors I know are the big names like Nora Roberts and what not. Besides the few supernaturals that I've read, I've never read any other sub-genres.

Which is a bit strange, now that I think about it... I mean, I enjoy fantasy novels, but *shrugs* Never read a fantasy-romance type.
That's so true. I love fantasy a lot but I don't really think about it in the romantic genre... unless it's in manga form Wink
Back to top Go down
jollychick
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:26 am

moon-2012 wrote:
I love reading novels in general and my favorite types are classic novels of Historical Romance, mystery,fantasies and Drama .Very Happy 
Fantasy is a very fun genre! Some authors have great imaginations.

I've been meaning to try a mystery novel but could never decide which one to pick up first Smile.
Anyone have some mystery genre suggestions?
Back to top Go down
lethalene
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:36 am

I used to love reading historical romances, with a preference for Regency England or 19th century England. Nowadays I prefer fantasy romances, set into an imaginary world or futuristic alternate universe. My favourite authors in this genre are Angela Knight and Nalini Singh.
Back to top Go down
jollychick
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:36 pm

lethalene wrote:
I used to love reading historical romances, with a preference for Regency England or 19th century England. Nowadays I prefer fantasy romances, set into an imaginary world or futuristic alternate universe. My favourite authors in this genre are Angela Knight and Nalini Singh.
Nalini Signh is great!Very Happy I've read some of her Guild Hunter series, Angels' Blood and Archangel's Kiss, I believe. She creates some awesome worlds!! Dorian from Hostage to Pleasure was drool-worthy Embarassed...
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:36 pm

jollychick wrote:
moon-2012 wrote:
Fantasy is a very fun genre! Some authors have great imaginations.
I know. I've been reading a lot of Diana Wynn-Jones lately and I just can't get enough!

jollychick wrote:
I've been meaning to try a mystery novel but could never decide which one to pick up first Smile.
Anyone have some mystery genre suggestions?
Hmm, what sort of mysteries are you looking for. If you're a fan of Detective Conan or Kindaichi case files, Why not try the classics? Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes is a good initiate piece since there are short stories as well as full length novels. A study in scarlet is the first novel introducing Holmes and Watson but I think it doesn't matter where you start.

Agatha Cristie (The Queen of Crime) is another author I'd recommend. You can choose either Miss Marple (a fluffy little old lady) or Hercule Poirot (a Belgian Detective who is a neat freak) to choose from. The stories might plod from time to time, but really, you will want to know what happens next. So far in about the 30 or so mysteries I've read, I've only managed to find the murderer once or twice.

For a more modern touch, I like Kathy Reichs. If you're a fan of the TV series Bones, then this one is for you. The series is based on her books. There's murder, intrigue and a whole lot of science. It will differ from the TV series but don't let that deter you. It's still a good read.

Well, these are the few authors I really enjoy, so why don't you try them? If you've found one that you enjoy but I didn't mention, you can share too Wink
Back to top Go down
shngml

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:55 pm

I like anything by Sarah Morgan. I really like her stories and the style she writes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?   

Back to top Go down

Favorite Romance Novel Setting and Author?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4