Shojo Manhwa Scans

Download Scanlations from SMScans Here

BlogHomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

What genres of Manga/Manhwa and books are favorites other than romance?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

What are your favorite Manga/Manhwa genres other than romance?
Supernatural/ fantasy/ Sci-fi
17%
 17% [ 16 ]
School life
6%
 6% [ 6 ]
Martial Arts
6%
 6% [ 6 ]
Yuri/Yaoi
11%
 11% [ 10 ]
Gender Bender
11%
 11% [ 10 ]
Historical
22%
 22% [ 20 ]
Mystery
8%
 8% [ 7 ]
Mecha
1%
 1% [ 1 ]
Drama/ Tragedy
8%
 8% [ 7 ]
Other not mentioned
10%
 10% [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 93

AuthorMessage

PostSubject: What genres of Manga/Manhwa and books are favorites other than romance?   Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:25 pm

I was just wondering what other people like as far as manga/manhwa and book genres. I know most everyone here likes Romance but I am curious to see what other types people like to read. I also was curious to see if some of you read different types of books than you do manga/manhwa.

Just to quickly answer that question for myself. I like to read a few types of regular books like self help and affirmation stuff that is not really in comic form. I also like true crime in book form but I have never really looked for it in comic form. In manga/manhwa and comics I like some of the martial arts genre which is one I have never really cared to try in regular books but maybe someday I will. I like it best when romance is mixed with some of my other favorite genres.
Back to top Go down
Jibril
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: What genres of Manga/Manhwa and books are favorites other than romance?   Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:06 am

hmm that is hard. i read nearly every genre if the story plot is good.

but i think my favorite manga/manhwa are historical storys. Anatholia Story for example or such things.
Yaoi is nice to read sometimes too Wink

as for books i like to read about other cultures (old egypts,...) or fantasy books, preferable ones which have no connection to our real world. "the black jewel" books are my absolute favourites in that category <3
Back to top Go down
swedesamurai
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: What genres of Manga/Manhwa and books are favorites other than romance?   Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:55 pm

Well I'm a avid reader and read just about everything. I read for various purposes. I'm really curious so I read a lot of hard science and technology books, papers and publications at the post graduate level. Of course this leads me to that often bottomless genre called "How to Books"; which I read because my hobby is woodworking - I like to bulid furniture and nice boxes. I love reading history books, especially about the US Civil War or the operations of the IJN during WWII. But out of everything reading Sci-Fi is super cool. Just to Give you idea of what I've read in the past couple of weeks:
(These are just the books on my coffee table next to this laptop)
Benjamin Franklin by Carl van Doren
Organization Theory for Public Administration by Michael M. Harmon Richard T. Mayer
Wonderful Life by Stephen Jay Gould
Caesar by Theodore Ayault Dodge
The War for America 1775-1783 by Piers Mackesy
The Dinosuar Hereries by Robert T. Bakker
Sea of Time Triology by S.M. Stirling
I've also reread the first four Honor Harrington Books by David Weber
and skimed through the lLost Fleet series by Jack Campbell
and of course Harlequins:
A Ring to Secure His Heir - Lynne Graham
At His Majesty's Convenience - Jennifer Lewis
Bedded by Blackmail - Robyn Grady
Bought_ The Greek's Innocent Virgin - Sarah Morgan
Capelli's Captive Virgin - Sarah Morgan
Claiming His Royal Heir - Jennifer Lewis
Constantine's Defiant Mistress - Sharon Kendrick
Count Maxime's Virgin - Susan Stephens
Count Toussaint's Baby - Kate Hewitt
Deserving of His Diamonds - Melanie Milburne
Fiancee for One Night - Trish Morey
Her Fill-In Fiance - Stacy Connelly
Hired for the Boss's Bedroom - Cathy Williams
His Last Chance at Redemption - Michelle Conder
His Royal Love-Child - Lucy Monroe
Italian Boss, Housekeeper Bride - Sharon Kendrick
Major Westhaven's Unwilling Ward - Emily Bascom
Marco's Convenient Wife - Penny Jordan
Powerful Greek, Housekeeper Wife - Robyn Donald
Past Loving - Penny Jordan
The Disgraced Princess - Robyn Donald
The Italian's Stolen Bride - Emma Darcy
The Spaniard's Virgin Housekeeper - Diana Hamilton

Plus I have a tendancy to read just about every magazine I get my had on. I guess mybe I#m a compulsive reader?
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: What genres of Manga/Manhwa and books are favorites other than romance?   Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:28 pm

Wow swedesamurai! That is a lot of very different books.

Uhm... For me, when it comes to novels, I'm strictly romance of various genres (typically historical, but some paranormal/fantasy).

For mangas, I'm open to everything - seinen, shoujo, shonen, josei... Read it all. It depends on the story summary. I've gotten over my "need" for pretty art (aka shoujo) stories once I grew up and out of school... haha! Won't lie though. Hot guys on the cover (somewhere) are always a plus and I'm more likely to give it a shot even if the story sounds bad Razz

Oh! But what I pretty much always read are oneshots. They're quick and easy and require no commitment.

Hm... Maybe I'm a bit on two extremes though? I mean, I super love romance ones, but I also really like action ones too. *shrugs* Bottom line - books = picky, manga = anything ^__^

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: What genres of Manga/Manhwa and books are favorites other than romance?   Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:00 pm

For books, I tend to be into fantasy (Terry Prachett comes to mind), science fiction, mystery/crime, a few good classics... I recently taught myself knitting so I've been buying books on those, but the meat of my collection is still fantasy. Romance will be historical but those I don't have a lot of.

As for manga, I share shonen type manga with my brother and I pay for my own shoujo ones. I like action/martial arts, mystery (Kindaichi and Conan are my favourites), gender-benders, and of course, comedy.
I also read American style comic books because my brother's a fan and he has a collection of them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What genres of Manga/Manhwa and books are favorites other than romance?   Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:43 pm

I see nobody is too big on school life. To be honest. I think most people who read a lot of manga get tired of that topic quickly unless it is not mostly about school but it is only one tiny part and not really anything to do with what the manga is really about.

Its cool to see that other people are fans of the historical and supernatural genres I didn't expect too many people to be big on the martial arts genre here except for me but I figured there would be a couple. I look forward to see the poll as it progresses. bounce
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: What genres of Manga/Manhwa and books are favorites other than romance?   Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:05 pm

casandra29 wrote:
I see nobody is too big on school life. To be honest. I think most people who read a lot of manga get tired of that topic quickly unless it is not mostly about school but it is only one tiny part and not really anything to do with what the manga is really about.

Its cool to see that other people are fans of the historical and supernatural genres I didn't expect too many people to be big on the martial arts genre here except for me but I figured there would be a couple. I look forward to see the poll as it progresses. bounce
haha, maybe because most of us are out of that "school life" scenario now? At least that's why it doesn't appeal to me Smile But like you said, it kind of depends on how much focus there is on "school life" itself. Like one of the series I like is called Gakuen Babysitters which is about school-related stuff, but it's just sooo adorable, I don't care! XD

I tried reading martial arts ones, but maybe the ones I tried were to manly for me... Laughing

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: What genres of Manga/Manhwa and books are favorites other than romance?   Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:18 pm

i agree with aerysa. I left school so long ago that it doesn't appeal as much. Although I just read Koukou Debut recently and I loved Lovely Complex... but I classify them as Rom-Com more than school life...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What genres of Manga/Manhwa and books are favorites other than romance?   Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:11 pm

silvery wrote:
I classify them as Rom-Com more than school life...

I've never heard it shortened like that before... guess I am behind the times...lol.

Mainly my desire to read martial arts stories is depending on my mood. Most of the ones I like are Martial arts that have to have a romance element to it. It isn't the main issue but I like it best when it has romance too. Though to be honest. some of the martial arts ones are too "meat-head-ish" for me as well. I like ones of like "The Breaker" type or "Be Heun"... one of my biggest issue on the martial arts types is I have to not hate the art. I am not big on huge overly bulgy muscles that take years worth of steroid abuse to get. I can't stand the Mr. America look! What is best is the 6 pack and muscular but not disgustingly so... but I am rambling now so Ill stop. Embarassed
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: about books and mangas....   Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:10 am

I was also kind of surprised to see that there were more people who actually liked martial arts Smile about school life, we grow tired of it mainly because it's often the same problems showing up, i think.

As for me, i read mostly everything (books or mangas) though i was never a big fan of philosophy books.... Last book read was the Hobbit by Tolkien (i was wandering after i finished it what took me so long to read it). I reall like historical books with romance in them ( i really like Pride and prejudice and Jane Eyre). I also read a lot of french classics (mainly cause i live in France...). But the one book i had to finish even if it took me the night was the shadow of the wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, wich is also historical and with romance....
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: What genres of Manga/Manhwa and books are favorites other than romance?   Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:36 am

casandra29 wrote:
silvery wrote:
I classify them as Rom-Com more than school life...

I've never heard it shortened like that before... guess I am behind the times...lol.

Mainly my desire to read martial arts stories is depending on my mood. Most of the ones I like are Martial arts that have to have a romance element to it. It isn't the main issue but I like it best when it has romance too. Though to be honest. some of the martial arts ones are too "meat-head-ish" for me as well. I like ones of like "The Breaker" type or "Be Heun"... one of my biggest issue on the martial arts types is I have to not hate the art. I am not big on huge overly bulgy muscles that take years worth of steroid abuse to get. I can't stand the Mr. America look! What is best is the 6 pack and muscular but not disgustingly so... but I am rambling now so Ill stop. Embarassed

I can't remember where I read that term before (maybe it was a movie review in the local paper) but I thought it was widely accepted. Then again, it may just be in my country Wink My first manga (not counting Doraemon) was Dragon Ball. Shounen style action manga are very popular here so while it's not martial arts literally, it does have a lot of fighting adventure. I can't stand bulging muscles either, which is why I can't stomach Kinnikuman...
Back to top Go down
Sakura Aizen
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: What genres of Manga/Manhwa and books are favorites other than romance?   Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:36 pm

scratch that was quite hard Smile actually i've read like tonnes of books and mostly depends on my mood. Sometimes i like a good romantic book or historical one; at times it'd be goth or supernatural books when i want a good paranormal romance. It varies!! Lol, but i think most women loves a good romance books. Right now I'm readin' a paranormal romance from Nocturne: Mills&Boons. Martial Arts too are my fave but mostly depends on the story base. B'sides i would love to learn martial arts not because of my chinese descent but cuz i find it a must now. The world we're livin' is so full of aggressions etc... There's tonnes of reasons why my fave remains paranormal romance books, too long to tell lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What genres of Manga/Manhwa and books are favorites other than romance?   Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:15 pm

supernatural and tragedy Smile

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Eh?   Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:09 am

My reading style mainly conists of Romance.
The only stuff I would read without Romance is Mystery and Horror.
Like:
Deathnote
Detective Conan (Case Closed)
Or sometimes It's more Action but has a little romance:
Fairy Tail
Bleach
I actually only read mangas/manhwa/manhua.
Normal books aren't for me xD
Dearly,
Mii-Pyon~
Back to top Go down
miksa_s
Cool User
Cool User

PostSubject: Re: What genres of Manga/Manhwa and books are favorites other than romance?   Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:28 am

I read quite a varied selection, but I've found that searching for "strong female lead" category on Manga-Updates is a great way to find manga that I like.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What genres of Manga/Manhwa and books are favorites other than romance?   Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:06 pm

Hmm... Aside from romance it's definitely Sci-fi/Supernatural/Fantasy, I'm especially into sci-fi right now. These genres just sort of give me this awesome feeling while reading it. I think another reason I like genres like this a lot because I can enjoy someone's really great imagination along with learning real life facts.

I'm currently enjoying reading and watching Uchuu Kyoudai (Space Brothers), its about two brothers who made a promise when they were young to be astronauts and go to the moon. The first one to achieve this is the younger brother, while the older brother starts his journey as an astronaut, along the way he discover his great potential. This is really good so to the science geeks out there, try it!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What genres of Manga/Manhwa and books are favorites other than romance?   Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:20 am

miksa_s wrote:
I read quite a varied selection, but I've found that searching for "strong female lead" category on Manga-Updates is a great way to find manga that I like.

When I read comics I love ones with strong female characters, just like you, but i am picky in what ways they are strong... there are a few exceptions to that rule but over all I like the women in the stories to not be weak.

To add to that though, no matter if it's novels, american comics, manga, or manhwa, I am not big on gender bender stories. Meaning I dislike the switching of the gender roles. I know that sounds old fashioned of me (Yes I am a woman..lol). However, I like women characters who can be strong living within the confines of what traditionally defines "a woman".
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: What genres of Manga/Manhwa and books are favorites other than romance?   Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:33 pm

casandra29 wrote:
To add to that though, no matter if it's novels, american comics, manga, or manhwa, I am not big on gender bender stories. Meaning I dislike the switching of the gender roles. I know that sounds old fashioned of me (Yes I am a woman..lol). However, I like women characters who can be strong living within the confines of what traditionally defines "a woman".
Hm... Well I think gender bender stories are more rare in novels than in manga. I'm alright with it in both.

For novels, it's usually a woman dressing up as a man to escape from something or other (remember, I read historical romances! XD) - usually unwanted marriage or atrocious relative. So in those cases, I find that they usually get found out relatively quickly, though what the hero does with that knowledge varies.

For mangas, I don't mind it, but sometimes it just becomes that overplayed card... Like EVERYONE knows, yet they're still in their gender swapped role and the story just seems to drag on forever... That's when it really bothers me - that the story doesn't move forward at aaall.

So yeah, I don't really have that much experience with gender bender stories. And yeah, it's nice to see that a woman can be a woman and still come across strong Smile

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: What genres of Manga/Manhwa and books are favorites other than romance?   Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:06 pm

Hmm, I think I like gender bender stories because of that whole secret identity air about them. If the cat's out of the bag, I prefer they just switch back. But for those who have to keep their true identities a secret, I tend to root for them. So actually, it's not actually gender benders that are my true faves, it's secret identities. Both novel and manga kinds are ok with me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What genres of Manga/Manhwa and books are favorites other than romance?   Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:50 am

silvery wrote:
Hmm, I think I like gender bender stories because of that whole secret identity air about them. If the cat's out of the bag, I prefer they just switch back. But for those who have to keep their true identities a secret, I tend to root for them. So actually, it's not actually gender benders that are my true faves, it's secret identities. Both novel and manga kinds are ok with me.

I soppose in that sense I agree with you. If it has to do with keeping identity secret then Then it's not so bad. Smile
Back to top Go down
@Danda@

PostSubject: Re: What genres of Manga/Manhwa and books are favorites other than romance?   Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:36 am

I really like gender-bender because the fact that a character pretends to be of the opposite sex raises truly comic situations like in Hana-Kimi or W-Juliet
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What genres of Manga/Manhwa and books are favorites other than romance?   Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:55 pm

I like historical especially ones set in ancient times. Red River was great.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: genre   Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:52 am

I like reading various of genres but I like historical, cause you can see different culture or antique times.
I to see how they loved in the past and how they lived.
Back to top Go down
rayghiemay

PostSubject: Re: What genres of Manga/Manhwa and books are favorites other than romance?   Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:16 am

hmm....i only read romance when it's in the form of manga. otherwise i avoid reading one. i read a lot of classic books but right now i'm into local authors (of our country, of course Very Happy ). but then, i'm kinda busy right now with school stuff so i don't have much time to read

"Fear can only ruin your life if you will allow for it to. In our lives we can try to bypass our fears by staying away from them as much as possible, but to truly conquer each fear we must step up to it, and take it on. We can only defeat something if we are willing to compete against it, and with a strong heart, a determined attitude, and an unbreakable will, there is nothing in this world we can't defeat if we give it our all."

afro
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What genres of Manga/Manhwa and books are favorites other than romance?   Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:47 am

My most fav genre is historical. I like all that is related to historical. I also like supernatural and fantasy genres.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What genres of Manga/Manhwa and books are favorites other than romance?   

Back to top Go down

What genres of Manga/Manhwa and books are favorites other than romance?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next