Shojo Manhwa Scans

Download Scanlations from SMScans Here

BlogHomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

What genres of Manga/Manhwa and books are favorites other than romance?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

What are your favorite Manga/Manhwa genres other than romance?
Supernatural/ fantasy/ Sci-fi
17%
 17% [ 16 ]
School life
6%
 6% [ 6 ]
Martial Arts
6%
 6% [ 6 ]
Yuri/Yaoi
11%
 11% [ 10 ]
Gender Bender
11%
 11% [ 10 ]
Historical
22%
 22% [ 20 ]
Mystery
8%
 8% [ 7 ]
Mecha
1%
 1% [ 1 ]
Drama/ Tragedy
8%
 8% [ 7 ]
Other not mentioned
10%
 10% [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 93

AuthorMessage

PostSubject: What genres of Manga/Manhwa and books are favorites other than romance?   Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:25 pm

First topic message reminder :

I was just wondering what other people like as far as manga/manhwa and book genres. I know most everyone here likes Romance but I am curious to see what other types people like to read. I also was curious to see if some of you read different types of books than you do manga/manhwa.

Just to quickly answer that question for myself. I like to read a few types of regular books like self help and affirmation stuff that is not really in comic form. I also like true crime in book form but I have never really looked for it in comic form. In manga/manhwa and comics I like some of the martial arts genre which is one I have never really cared to try in regular books but maybe someday I will. I like it best when romance is mixed with some of my other favorite genres.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
jollychick
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: What genres of Manga/Manhwa and books are favorites other than romance?   Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:57 am

When I'm not reading shoujo manga, I'm typically reading one of my rare, but much loved, shounen manga Wink. I prefer One Piece and Naruto (even though the manga has gotten down to like 12-16, page chapters Crying or Very sad) or my absolute favorite To Aru Kagaku no Railgun/To Aru Kagaku no Choudenjihou. <-- The anime is great for this one!

I don't read many genres of books outside romance. Sure, I've read a few thrillers and a few more psychological novels but the combined total doesn't stand a chance against the number of romance novels I've read Embarassed.
Back to top Go down
swedesamurai
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: What genres of Manga/Manhwa and books are favorites other than romance?   Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:33 am

I generally do not like reading gender bender mangas or books about role reversals. There are exceptions; those where, no one tries to conceal their gender; as in "Ai Ore!". The aspect that deceit is OK in a relationship, is often propogated in the gender bender mangas. This casual acceptance of deceit in relationships is unacceptable to me. I guess it stems from a almost relationship I had in 1979....
Back then I was 23 single and looking for that jut right partner, I met this woman in a bar, she was gorgeous. Her figure was very soft and femine, her voice husky and sexy, she was witty, intelligent, fun. We dated several times, kissed and did light petting. I was begining to fall in love with her (You know heavy infatuation; her being on my mind 24/7; couldn't sleep before dates etc..)
I have alway prided myself on being a gentleman, I have always dated slow and easy and only moved to the next stage when my partner wanted. (Let me tell you to be a gentleman-One has to learn a lot of self control) My perfect partner from today says I have a will of Iron...And when she's mad at my stuborness she calls me Rustman-I'm starting ro Blabber again...
Well back to 1979, my relationship with this woman was begining to move beyond light kissing and caressing. It was getting heated, and the I discovered-something where something should not have been!
I jumped back and away in shock. My partner looked at me beseechingly - trying to determine my frame of mind. In 1979 I had never ever considered a homosexual-transexual or any other type of relationship other than hetero. Well that night I considered real quick. I rejected it. My partner was hurt by my decision, and I explained to "her" that it would have been nice to have known beforehand. Despite us not going to the next level; we have remained friends through the years, writing each other several times a year. I wasn' dating "her" just for sex I was searching for my own "Soulmate"
As I said in 1979 I never considered any relationship other than one that would lead to marrying my life's partner. To me dating was only to help me search for that Mrs. Right. The reason my partner from 1979 was rejected was not because "she" was transgender it was because that was not what I was looking for in my Lifes Partner. Deceit is never a way to find your "Lebensgefährtin" , one has to be honest in all aspects of your developing relationship.
It took me until I was 26 to find my Soulmate, and I'm glad I waited. Three strapping son's later and a lifetime of memories.
That in short is why I do nort read gender bender stiries.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What genres of Manga/Manhwa and books are favorites other than romance?   Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:48 am

Wow Swedesamurai, I can only imagine how surprised you were when "she" turned out to be "he". I think that it is amazing that you are still friends -I think most people would have been very embarrassed and angry.

I mostly read romantic comedy manga (such as Skip Beat)with some drama (The One) and historical (Story of Saiunkoku) thrown in for fun. Novel wise, I love your classic romantic novel, like Pride and Prdjudice (anything Jane Austen I love). But I also enjoy some fantasy, such as The Hobbit. And I will read some young adult books that my kids recommend (like the Percy Jackson series). I do read a lot of Harlequin novels, my favorite being the "sheikh" stories!

I try to steer clear of stories with bad endings though. I'm talking about endings where your favorite character dies, or everyone dies, etc... I just end up crying at the end. I hate that! I can't watch sad movies either -I'm too much of a softie and end up crying. That is why I love the Harlequin stories- they all end on a happy note!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What genres of Manga/Manhwa and books are favorites other than romance?   Sat May 18, 2013 6:24 pm

i like reading popular manga and sometimes old work
manga that made the author more popular.

ONE PIECE, BLEACH, ZOMBIE POWDER,
BEELZEBUB, FAIRY TAIL, NARUTO, SILVER
SPOON, HERO TALES, GINTAMA, and many
more.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What genres of Manga/Manhwa and books are favorites other than romance?   Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:20 pm

Manga:

Everything from your poll but Mecha, Shounen-ai/Shoujo-ai and School Life. I read this too if the plot is gripping but otherwise just no.

I especially prefer Fantasy/Supernatural mixed with romance. I quite like martial art/action as long as action is not the only focus (battles without personality is a nogo).

If looking for new stuff on mangaupdates I only care about the plot and not the genres (with a few exceptions).

Books:
Supernatural/fantasy/romance atm... but I also like all kinds of YA and fairy tales.

Last edited by kujika on Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
izumi
Cool User
Cool User

PostSubject: Re: What genres of Manga/Manhwa and books are favorites other than romance?   Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:37 pm

There are a few genres that I read if I like it such as the historical ones & the mystery ones. But overall it between supernatural & school/slice of life reality with a mix of yaoi in it that I go for.
Back to top Go down
Nathye

PostSubject: Re: What genres of Manga/Manhwa and books are favorites other than romance?   Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:23 am

As for me I read almost everything... from books that I must read for school (they are huge medical books -.-') to romantic-suspense/thrillers/drama, I also read religious, science, historical romances... well basically I read pretty much everything that comes to my hand. It doesn't mean I like everything it just means that I will read it and later make a judgment.Wink

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: What genres of Manga/Manhwa and books are favorites other than romance?   Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:30 am

Nathye wrote:
As for me I read almost everything... from books that I must read for school (they are huge medical books -.-') to romantic-suspense/thrillers/drama, I also read religious, science, historical romances... well basically I read pretty much everything that comes to my hand. It doesn't mean I like everything it just means that I will read it and later make a judgment.Wink

That's really good of you. I tend to read books of the same genre because I kind of have a fixed mindset on what kind of stories I want (mystery, fantasy, classics, etc) Even when I'm looking at new authors, I tend to look at authors from the genre that I'm comfortable with. I usually only read things out of my comfort zone if they come strongly recommended (like all of my brother's Stephen King -_-; but I haven't had the stomach for them yet) And even then I have to think about it.
Back to top Go down
Nathye

PostSubject: Re: What genres of Manga/Manhwa and books are favorites other than romance?   Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:18 am

silvery wrote:
That's really good of you. I tend to read books of the same genre because I kind of have a fixed mindset on what kind of stories I want (mystery, fantasy, classics, etc) Even when I'm looking at new authors, I tend to look at authors from the genre that I'm comfortable with. I usually only read things out of my comfort zone if they come strongly recommended (like all of my brother's Stephen King -_-; but I haven't had the stomach for them yet) And even then I have to think about it.

Well I kind of try to read a large range of because If I stick with just one type I can predict the end, like HQ for instance. I love to read HQ books, however, if I read to many of them at once there is a big chance I can predict the end (yes I know in HQ books the couple always end up together xD but I'm referring to the actions that will happen in the end). That's one of the reasons for me to read lots of genres. 
Well this will sound a little bad but I also choose books based on the cover, title and summary (at the back cover) if I am at a bookstore. Razz And in this case I normally don't search for genres.

Well but If I were to think about my comfort zone I would say most of the books I read have some romantic relationship even if in the end it doesn't work out, like Philippa Gregory's books, since she writes historical novels and not all of them end up well. Which is normal because real life is like that (unfortunately, maybe Question).

As for recommendations it depends on the book... I have one book my friend recommended me "Blue eyed boy" by Joanne Harris and I started to read and then stopped and I can't pick it up again, normally when this happens I go take a peek at the end, but in this book it doesn't help at all -.-'. So I believe it depends on the book whether I like it or not ^^

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: What genres of Manga/Manhwa and books are favorites other than romance?   Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:27 pm

I really love Shoujo and Josei mangas. I also love reading Horror, Mystery and Supernatural ones. And I'm sooo addicted to Yaoi mangas. tongue 
Back to top Go down
http://www.usoppnomiko.insanejournal.com
blanblah
Cool User
Cool User

PostSubject: Re: What genres of Manga/Manhwa and books are favorites other than romance?   Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:13 pm

I go for fantasy/supernatural/paranormal books. With manga I tend to go for the same or a most historical/adventure type. Either way, I like to have at least a little romantic aspect, even if just a minor subplot that isn't focused on. Otherwise I find it a little too unnatural. I mean if you have a big group of people what is the chance that one of them doesn't have some for love interest, regardless if it is someone in the group or someone random.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What genres of Manga/Manhwa and books are favorites other than romance?   

Back to top Go down

What genres of Manga/Manhwa and books are favorites other than romance?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2