Share | 

Anyone else sick?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
jadegreentiger

PostSubject: Anyone else sick?   Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:23 pm

First topic message reminder :

Completely off the HQ/Manga?Manwha topic.

Not sure what's going around this cold season, but it seems everyone around me is sick. Now, I've caught the bug from my children (they've had flu shots, but they've been sick for the last two weeks and one has an ear infection). However, my symptoms are completely different: I feel like I've been hacking a lung. My brother lives in a different state and he caught the flu last week. I swear many of the FB posts I've read are about people getting sick.

So it's OJ, chicken noodle soup, tea, and drinking lots of fluids time.

Stay healthy everyone.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else sick?   Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:38 am

verklempt wrote:
Thanks silvery and aerysa. Good thing I held out, and now I'm alive and kicking. However, what awaited me were heaps of homework, projects, and an unfinished thesis (which I need to finish, btw, since my deadline's next week). I almost wanted to go to the hospital and beg them to take me back.

Yeah, dengue's a big problem in the tropics. Mosquitoes, dengue carrier or otherwise, breed really fast so they're pretty difficult to exterminate. Having the flu, though, sucks big time. Especially if it involves diarrhea or vomiting. If the flu that's been going around your area's really bad, then you'd better watch out so that you don't catch it for good.

Laughing yes, it's daunting to have so much to do right after you've been sick but don't give up. After that war for your life, everything else is but a simple battle. All the best in completing your thesis! ^_^

Yeah, mosquitoes are always a problem... we just do what we can to keep them at bay. BUt you'll still find one or two around...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else sick?   Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:34 pm

verklempt wrote:
Six months of meds? That's tough. Were I in your shoes, I'd forget to take the meds after a week if someone doesn't bother to remind me.

Anyway, I just recovered from Dengue which left me with only 35 platelets (the normal platelet count for an adult is between 150,000 and 40,000 for every micro liter of blood). Everyone thought I would die, and I almost did. I remember my sister crying her eyes out. When I got discharged, she told me that she was preparing herself in case I died, so that she won't cry like hell during my funeral. How flattering.

I never heard of Dengue...It makes mold seem very small in comparison. What is it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else sick?   Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:38 pm

ddaredevil wrote:
Wow, that's really bad... I hope you get well soon. I hope your friends can beat their cancer and they get better too. All the best for you and your friends.

Thanks...One friend had surgery and the outlook is good because they think they caught it soon enough. (it was liver cancer). Another friend is having her surgery next week for tumors in her stomache so she won't know until after that and my last friend has a type of blood cancer. It makes me realize how short and sweet life is. I should stop complaining and enjoy life.
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else sick?   Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:43 pm

Algenon wrote:
verklempt wrote:
Six months of meds? That's tough. Were I in your shoes, I'd forget to take the meds after a week if someone doesn't bother to remind me.

Anyway, I just recovered from Dengue which left me with only 35 platelets (the normal platelet count for an adult is between 150,000 and 40,000 for every micro liter of blood). Everyone thought I would die, and I almost did. I remember my sister crying her eyes out. When I got discharged, she told me that she was preparing herself in case I died, so that she won't cry like hell during my funeral. How flattering.

I never heard of Dengue...It makes mold seem very small in comparison. What is it?

Dengue is a fever that's usually spread by the Aedes mosquito in the tropics. it's caused by the Dengue virus. Symptoms include fever, headache, joint and muscle ache. I can't really say more without reading it up, so you can read about it too :
dengue fever
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else sick?   Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:23 am

verklempt wrote:
Thanks silvery and aerysa. Good thing I held out, and now I'm alive and kicking. However, what awaited me were heaps of homework, projects, and an unfinished thesis (which I need to finish, btw, since my deadline's next week). I almost wanted to go to the hospital and beg them to take me back.
Well, thus is life... Unfortunately. But there will come a time when you look back on all that stuff and it will be a fuzzy (perhaps pleasant?) memory... ^^ Good luck with all the work!!

The tropics seems so scary! Nastier sicknesses, nastier insects, nastier creatures... *shudder* I'm really not good with all of that stuff. Though, I will say I'm sure it's much prettier with all the vibrant colors. Unlike the beautiful, uh... White (snow... and lots of it) and brown (dead grass, dormant trees) that I get to enjoy Razz I guess you just have to weigh the pros and cons.

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else sick?   Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:23 pm

aerysa wrote:
verklempt wrote:
Well, thus is life... Unfortunately. But there will come a time when you look back on all that stuff and it will be a fuzzy (perhaps pleasant?) memory... ^^ Good luck with all the work!!

The tropics seems so scary! Nastier sicknesses, nastier insects, nastier creatures... *shudder* I'm really not good with all of that stuff. Though, I will say I'm sure it's much prettier with all the vibrant colors. Unlike the beautiful, uh... White (snow... and lots of it) and brown (dead grass, dormant trees) that I get to enjoy Razz I guess you just have to weigh the pros and cons.

The tropics can seem that way, considering bacterias and viruses need warmth and water to survive. But in most developed countries, hygiene plays an important part. Filter and boil your water, even if it has been treated and you can avoid water borne diseases (like cholera). Don't leave stagnant water to pool and you can prevent mosquitoes from breeding (malaria, dengue). Diseases like those that I've mentioned are more frequent in rural areas, where clean water and awareness is less but in my country, at least, measures are being taken to overcome that.
Back to top Go down
salamand

PostSubject: Catching a cold in the summer heat   Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:54 am

It is funny that I did not have any flu, bug or cold in those snowy or rainy days, but as soon as I left for my well earned holiday at the beached of Croatia, I have it from the lovely A/C. That is why I hate the electricity consuming little devil.
Back to top Go down
Lingai

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else sick?   Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:32 am

Just recovering from the flu but still got the nasty cough ><
Back to top Go down
girlflower

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else sick?   Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:52 pm

I'm sick too, with a sore throat and blocked nose  
Back to top Go down
saya2077

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else sick?   Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:04 am

You can't call it exactly sick but it all started two weeks ago. Suddenly the skin of my face and even my neck got red blotches. They feel itchy and I have to avoid scratching because they easily bleed. My doctor said the blotches are due to an allergy caused maybe by food or some cosmetics. He asked me if I have eaten something I am not used to or if I have changed my cosmetics. Both suggestions were wrong. Everything was like always and that's why it got me by surprise. Now I have medicine but still after two weeks it is only getting slightly better.

How I wish this would go quickly away. *sighs*
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else sick?   Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:21 pm

saya2077 wrote:
You can't call it exactly sick but it all started two weeks ago. Suddenly the skin of my face and even my neck got red blotches. They feel itchy and I have to avoid scratching because they easily bleed. My doctor said the blotches are due to an allergy caused maybe by food or some cosmetics. He asked me if I have eaten something I am not used to or if I have changed my cosmetics. Both suggestions were wrong. Everything was like always and that's why it got me by surprise. Now I have medicine but still after two weeks it is only getting slightly better.

How I wish this would go quickly away. *sighs*

I feel your pain... for me it was the back of my legs, from thigh to calf. I believe it was the mattress that I was using at that time. But yes, i developed rashes that bleed/ developed scabs when I scratched/ rubbed them. They got better after a while but the scars took about two years to fully disappear... was very self-conscious about wearing shorts during that time. I hope yours get better soon
Back to top Go down
tsuki1star

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else sick?   Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:45 pm

I have to agree. I have been sick for a while with headaches and a stuffed up nose. And, people around me have been sick and stuck at home for several days. My friend is just waiting for the flu to hit her because she knows it's about to happen. Good luck everyone and try to stay healthy!
Back to top Go down
morninglight
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else sick?   Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:00 pm

I just recently got over my cold. This time it wasn't as bad as last time when I have the cold. It was just sore throat and my nose being block and can't breath. Last time, it was the full force, I got the fever, chill, headache,sore threat and not be able to breath thought my nose.
Back to top Go down
saya2077

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else sick?   Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:51 pm

This is the second time within two weeks that I am sick and I was once a very healthy person. First I was infected with the flu from my children, now they brought me the stomach flu and pinkeye from the kindergarten.

Why is it, I wonder, that the kindergarten seems to be like a hatchery of germs? Whatever comes from ther is far more infectious and persistent than any other flus I have known so far. Anyway *sighs* I still have a lot of things to do so being ill is no option.
Back to top Go down
lethalene
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else sick?   Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:49 am

I've been ill since last November, and the doctors were not able to diagnose me properly until January even after I insisted on them seeking about one peculiar disease. I've switched completely to holistic, not yet cured though I'm better now than I was at first with the usual medicines. I had to use pesticides and other chemicals until the end of December, that left me very weak and more sick, always sore, skin cracked and bleeding. And not cured, so I said stop to the doctors as my treatments only served to make my disease more resistant to the chemicals pumped in my body and went to see a naturopathic doctor.
It'll take longer to be cured but the results are slowly showing and at least, I don't have anymore all those sores and wounded skin. I'm still weak but getting more energy as my body is little by little flushing the chemicals from the previous treatments and the other toxines weakening my immune system.
Back to top Go down
tsuki1star

PostSubject: Sick again..   Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:01 pm

Ughhh... This cold is killing me. It's been a week, and I feel like I'm getting worse.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else sick?   

Back to top Go down

Anyone else sick?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2