BlogHomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

What are Your Hobbies?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
aerysa

PostSubject: What are Your Hobbies?   Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:15 pm

Obviously most of us are interested in manga and romance and harlequins, since that IS what this group does, but what other things interest you?

We've been discussing this in another thread, so I thought we should have a proper thread for it... Just so we don't stray off topic completely Laughing

Anyways, the discussion so far has been about styling hair (my hobby) and doing your nails (jollychick's hobby) and modelling (silvery's hobby).

For me, I really like doing my hair and I've gotten pretty good at it. Though some of my hairstyles look complicated, it doesn't take me long at all - usually within 10 minutes ^^ And I love watching how-to tutorials for it on YouTube. There's some people out there who are REALLY good at it!

Besides the obvious of reading manga/watching anime, I also like writing and crafty things, like making jewelry, though that one is not as often.

How about everyone else? I'm sure there's other things that interest us besides just manga/anime ^^

If it's something you can document with pictures, and you're not shy about it, feel free to share those as well~

PostSubject: Re: What are Your Hobbies?   Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:34 pm

Though must of my free time is devoted to reading manga and watching anime, I do do some other things occasionally.
I'm an avid reader, when I'm not on the computer i have my face stuffed into a book. I enjoy all genres, especially fantasy or romance. study
Ive recently started watching a lot of TV too. This includes show like Bones, Ncis, once upon a time, and so on.
Of course I'm a full time college student so sadly I don't have as much time to enjoy all this anymore.
Back to top Go down
jollychick
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: What are Your Hobbies?   Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:09 am

As aerysa has already stated, doing my nails is my hobby. I'd rather pay a couple dollars for cute new polishes than $22-$25 for acrylic nails that will last me about 2 1/2 weeks. Granted, real nails break Mad, but I love being able to do them when I want.

Typically I'll do them once a week. I'm not a big fan of my whole nail being painted, so my focus has been the French tip type designs. Not really sure if it's okay to post picks here but, I've done Angry Birds (I hand-painted the angry bird using washable acrylic paint), Hello Kitty (using some cute 3d flower decals), and a fruits-n-cream design using fimo fruit Razz.

Ah~ youtube. I have subscribed to a few channels that offer how-to videos for nail design and I've actually used them quite successfully.

Japanese is another hobby of mine. I've taken classes and bought books to help learn the language. I find, for me, reading manga in Japanese helps tremendously for learning kanji (with the help if furigana Wink). While I'm no where close to fluent, I can understand phrases and my listening comprehension (?) is decent because of all the Japanese media I'm into.

Sometimes, I'm at a friends house when she'll drag me over to her tv and ask me what some character is saying on a Japanese game (Kamen Rider), or to read the menu options. These small things even I can handle Cool.
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: What are Your Hobbies?   Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:35 pm

Aerysa has also mentioned my hobby. Yes, I'm into modelling. My brother started it because he's always liked Gundam and well, when I browsed through his modelling magazines they really looked awesome. I started small, with the super deformed types before graduating on better grades of models. My brother's more than happy to share the hobby with me since it means I share the expenses on the tools and other supplies Wink

But I'm also into arts and craft. I recently taught myself how to knit and crochet and now I'm trying to make knitted outfits. Successfully made a baby shower set with hat, mittens, booties and a cardigan. The cardigan doesn't fit but I'm not sure if it's because I made it the wrong size or because the baby's mother waited a little too long before letting her daughter wear it and she outgrew it. ^^;

Reading and writing are also hobbies of mine, along with some light gaming. I sometimes wonder when do I find the time to enjoy any of my hobbies... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
jollychick
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: What are Your Hobbies?   Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:06 pm

aerysa wrote:
And I love watching how-to tutorials for it on YouTube.
I know what you mean! About 4 inches of hair ago, I watched this tutorial on how to style your long hair to make it look it look like a cute, short bob. I was actually able to do it, but no way did it take like, 15 minutes for me. My hair and I had a stand-off, since it refused to cooperate. I may have won the war, but my hair definitely won the battle Razz.
amina9898 wrote:
Of course I'm a full time college student so sadly I don't have as much time to enjoy all this anymore.
Oh the joys of full time college-hood! I had to write papers for my last English class every week! The last one was a 12 page paper with a detailed outline and a 2-3 page annotated bibliography Evil or Very Mad. The teacher even had a requirement which stated that we had to use a particular library! I missed so much during those 4 months Crying or Very sad.
silvery wrote:
Aerysa has also mentioned my hobby. Yes, I'm into modelling. My brother started it because he's always liked Gundam and well, when I browsed through his modelling magazines they really looked awesome. I started small, with the super deformed types before graduating on better grades of models. My brother's more than happy to share the hobby with me since it means I share the expenses on the tools and other supplies Wink
The closest I've ever come to models was when I was watching Sgt. Frog Laughing, but it looks pretty fun. I guess I'm nervous I'd somehow screw it up or break a piece. I might gain some courage and try it. I found a comic shop near my house that sells some models and such. I've honestly got no idea where to begin though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What are Your Hobbies?   Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:26 pm

I have a few hobbies. As everyone else I enjoy manga and manhwa. I used to be big into Anime but I only watch a few now. I enjoy camping in the summer and early fall. I like going to state parks and when I can get to them national parks. I enjoy hiking. I like to knit though I am pretty much stuck with blankets and scarfs...these are all things I do in phases though. Some because I don't stay interested others because it is too cold to do it sometimes in Wisconsin.

I only have 2 hobbies I do year round other than read pretty much anything I can get my hands on and that is, playing video games. I hate guns so I don't do shooters. My favorites are RPG (shin megami tensei games, xenosaga 3, Enchanted Arms Jade Empire) I like Lego games (my kids got me into them. We own them all and I play them a lot) I like puzzle games and mystery/clue/ solving crime games on my dsi, I like action adventure games too as long as they have a good plot. Those are the games I like on my systems. I have PS2, PSP, XBOX 360, Gamecube, and DSI. On the computer I like story type games like Otome games. I like facebook games like treasure island and most of the zynga games and puzzle games just to name a few. I also like the tycoon games like lemonade tycoon ect. My other big hobby is doing research. I know that sounds weird but I love learning about new things. I especially love self help, history and criminology as well as learning about running small business. I spend a lot of my free time doing research. I was never good at school. I was lucky I took my GED test before they remade it. The one I took a 3rd grader could have passed. I was never good at school but I always loved learning things that peeked my interest. Luckly all you need to learn things is a computer, a library, a mode of transportation, and a e-mail. Then as long as you can read almost anything is within your grasp to learn. I am the type of person who doesn't like to read from just one point of view eather when I do research I find all that I can from all different sides. I think it is super fun.

Anyways, other than that I am a pretty boring person. I spend a lot of time with my kids and I like my job though If I didn't work at a place for trafficking victims I would probably want to do something that didn't require me to be around people. I will probably gain new hobbies in the future and drop other ones. But over the years my love of reading, learning, camping, and gaming has stayed constant. So I will probably always enjoy those.
Back to top Go down
rayghiemay

PostSubject: Re: What are Your Hobbies?   Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:59 am

i'm a college student (hopefully graduating on October) so i don't have much time as our professors give us bulky requirements/projects that needs a lot of attention. however, these are my hobbies:

*reading - i read a lot. I've got tons of books back home and also here at the house where i'm currently living, and e-books as well. this hobby started when i was on my 2nd year of high school; i never outgrew this hobby. it's like what they say, old habits die hard (in this circumstance, i might die first before i stop reading). i like any genre except romance. i only read romance in manga/manghwa. i also like classic books as well, but my general rule on books is "any book/genre will do except romance"

*jogging/running - gives me time to think/ reflect. although i don't do this a lot (since i'm busy doing other stuff), i plan on doing it everyday once i get a work (and an apartment of my own)

*swimming - i'm not really good at swimming, just the basic ones but i enjoy this a lot. back when i was in high school, i swim everyday during summer break until i learned; i taught myself how to swim

*chess - i'm also into strategy-type games and for me chess is one of those strategy games that will teach you how others think and will show you how you think when in any given situation, i also taught myself how to play chess so i'm not familiar with the official rules of the game

*scrabble - i like reading and i also like words, hence scrabble

*food trip - or simply eating (moderately). who doesn't like eating?

*online/offline games - like pokemon, gta, ragnarok, etc. any game will do. it depends on my mood; whenever i feel like teaching myself new skill or game

*i also enjoy collecting figures/toys..i dunno the specific word for it though Very Happy i like to buy toys and assemble them. the most recent toy that i bought was...an assemble-your-self animal (turtle) that i named amorsolo (he's a painter; remember ninja turtles; where they were named after? right. that's it.). i'm saving money right now to buy tools first and then another animal assemble-your-self toy again. oh, and i also like tools. i have a mini drill, and i still want to add other tools as well (like screw driver, hand file, hammer, soldering iron, etc) in my collection

*writing - i have a journal (personal diary), a blog, and i also write to my friends (handwritten cards and letters)

*art - i make my own card that i send to my friends, sometimes i do the editing of pictures (that i also either send them or put in my blog), i'm into photoshop right now as i'm planning on joining as a cleaner for manga/manghwa. i practice on raw manga and clean it myself. this is also self-taught with a little bit of instructions from the internet on how-to's.

*language - i know english and filipino, and right now i'm learning (self-taught) spanish. when i was also in high school i studied japanese for a bit (again, self-taught), but i stopped. i plan on studying again after learning spanish. hopefully at that time i'm gonna get my lessons from a japanese professional/teacher. i also want to study other language as well. hopefully i get to learn five langauge before i turn 30 Very Happy

..and i can't think of anything else as of the moment. i still want to learn/ do other things though. do you have any suggestions on what hobby i may else do? Very Happy

"Fear can only ruin your life if you will allow for it to. In our lives we can try to bypass our fears by staying away from them as much as possible, but to truly conquer each fear we must step up to it, and take it on. We can only defeat something if we are willing to compete against it, and with a strong heart, a determined attitude, and an unbreakable will, there is nothing in this world we can't defeat if we give it our all."

afro
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: What are Your Hobbies?   Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:13 pm

jollychick wrote:
Typically I'll do them once a week. I'm not a big fan of my whole nail being painted, so my focus has been the French tip type designs. Not really sure if it's okay to post picks here but, I've done Angry Birds (I hand-painted the angry bird using washable acrylic paint), Hello Kitty (using some cute 3d flower decals), and a fruits-n-cream design using fimo fruit Razz.
I don't see why you couldn't post any pictures. But if you do, I would put them under a spoiler tag, so that it doesn't overload the forum. I'd be interested in seeing them!

That's pretty cool though! My friend does full-nail designs. Some flowers, clouds, stripes... Whatever just happens to catch her fancy for the day/week.

Seems like a lot of us have overlapping hobbies, which is really great! Like reading (in general), gaming and artsy, crafty stuff like knitting and what not.

jollychick wrote:
I know what you mean! About 4 inches of hair ago, I watched this tutorial on how to style your long hair to make it look it look like a cute, short bob. I was actually able to do it, but no way did it take like, 15 minutes for me. My hair and I had a stand-off, since it refused to cooperate. I may have won the war, but my hair definitely won the battle Razz.
Aww, I REALLY wanted to do that! Except it doesn't work with my hair since it's not layered enough or it's too long or what not... It just doesn't work on my hair... And I'm not going to cut it just so I can do one particular hairstyle Razz

For those of you still in school, I feel your pain! It always seems like there's work to do once school is over - study for exams, lab reports (I was in Sciences), projects, presentations, research papers... The list just goes on and on and on! I'm soooo glad I'm done that phase of my life now!!

Anyways, just so I don't sound completely superficial (lol!) where my only hobby is doing my hair...

My other hobbies are -
* Reading, usually romance or fantasy novels, along with manga and fanfiction
* Writing, typically fanfiction though there are still some original stories I want to work on, as well as blogging
* Piano, though I'm typically pretty lazy about practicing... It comes to me in phases where sometimes I'll just play and play for a couple hours for like a week. And then not touch it for months...
* Singing, haha, though really just singing along with every song I know on the radio
* Shopping, cuz seriously... Isn't that on most women's list of hobbies? XD
* Translation/Language, though this is kind of rare... But there are some songs where I just love it to death and when I try to find lyric translations, there are none!! So I translate it myself. It's SUCH a tedious process. I've maybe only done 3 or 4 songs to date. (Japanese songs)
* Jewelry making, so sometimes I'll do this for gifts and stuff, like earrings, necklaces or bracelets, or sometimes just make something for myself
* Traveling, though this one depends on time AND money. I'm in Canada, so been to places here and there in my own country, the States (mostly west side), China, Japan, Dominican Republic... Going to Panama soon (SO excited!!) But after crossing Japan off the list, my BIGGEST wishlist place now is Europe. Too bad it just takes so much time and money... I don't have a month to take off of work =__=;;
* Computer graphics, for a while there I taught myself how to make wallpapers, but mine are pretty bad compared to what some other people make... So now I just stick to smaller items like icons or graphic banners for friends (on birthdays, Christmas, etc.)
* Collecting (things on the computer), started out with music, then it became manga, then pictures/artbooks, then books and now it's drama CDs... If I'm not collecting something, I'm just not satisfied... So my computer is always sitting near capacity of maxing out the harddrive... And I'm in constant need of organizing and re-organizing my files because I download stuff in hordes and then have to sort through them all. I'm like a digital hoarder!! Rolling Eyes
* Gaming, I like otome games! Gives me a chance to practice my Japanese since the ones I have are in the original language (except one). But yeah... I wish more of them were licensed/in English because it takes me THAT much longer to get through the game... And some of them are really long to begin with, especially if you try to finish ALL the routes for ALL the characters.

(Can you tell? I'm not so much an outdoorsy person...)

But yeah, my biggest hobby that takes up MOST of my free time is writing! There's always at least one or two projects in the works. And then those mini projects that divert your attention for a short while...

PostSubject: Re: What are Your Hobbies?   Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:41 pm

I work long hours so I do not have much time for hobbies...

I draw and paint. I tend to draw people and unusual drawings like an apple computer in the shape of real apple with a real mouse as the mouse.

I like to read. I read a variety of books depending on my mood. Right now I have been reading about the history of the Tudor rulers. (Talk about one messed up family...)

I also hike when weather permits and go rock collecting.
Back to top Go down
jollychick
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: What are Your Hobbies?   Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:29 pm

casandra29 wrote:
I only have 2 hobbies I do year round other than read pretty much anything I can get my hands on and that is, playing video games. I hate guns so I don't do shooters. My favorites are RPG (shin megami tensei games, xenosaga 3, Enchanted Arms Jade Empire) I like Lego games (my kids got me into them. We own them all and I play them a lot) I like puzzle games and mystery/clue/ solving crime games on my dsi, I like action adventure games too as long as they have a good plot. Those are the games I like on my systems. I have PS2, PSP, XBOX 360, Gamecube, and DSI. On the computer I like story type games like Otome games. I like facebook games like treasure island and most of the zynga games and puzzle games just to name a few. I also like the tycoon games like lemonade tycoon ect.
I swear the first word that stood out to me was otome Laughing. That is one of my favorite pc genres! I played my first english one a few years ago, Yojinbo, the bodyguards. It sent me on a mad hunt to find others like it. My other favorite is the almighty time management. Yes I was a fan before smartphones and the like started popping up. I don't play shooters since I'm not big on realistic violence in games, nothing to do with guns more to do with the blood and such. I'm all for games like Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball. They're like detailed Barbie dolls that play beach volleyball and do minor water sports. The bathing suits are super cute as well. I'd recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind seeing chicks running around in two pieces. I own a Nintendo DS Lite, DSi XL, 3DS XL, Wii, PSP and an XBOX 360. I, quite obviously, have a thing for handhelds and those are the ones I tend to play more often.
aerysa wrote:
Anyways, just so I don't sound completely superficial (lol!) where my only hobby is doing my hair...
HA! You never seemed superficial, but now you seem busy!! Laughing

-I'm techaholic, so I love trying out new things (I'm not much of an Apple fan, though): tablets, cell phones, computers, ereaders, mp3 players, game consoles. I'm in the market for a new ereader since I want a smaller device (now taking suggestions Wink).

-I'm addicted to baking. I have a special love for making sweets, but I can't make them that often since I rarely have anyone to give them to. The batch of red velvet cookies I made turned out about 50 of the little things. I can't go through that many alone, so I usually give them to others, when I can.

-I love art. I had a project for one of my last retail classes were we had to create our own brand and store. Then we had to put together a plan and present it to our class. I did all of my group's advertisements, billboard display, store model and store front, which got great reviews from the class and teacher! Colors and their combinations fascinate me, which is a major reason I loving doing my nails.

-I've done things like double stitching and have sewn dolls clothes. That got me wanting to try crocheting. I've been reading tutorials and watching videos and plan on heading to my local Hobby Lobby in a few to pick up a hook and yarn.

-The sheer amount of romance novels I put away last year should be illegal Embarassed! I'm always reading or finding something new to read. There are some great free reads if you take the time and go to the right places.

-This may be strange, but a new hobby of mine is squirrel feeding. It's fun to watch them so that's how it started. Them I tried putting out peanuts, just to see what would happen. Now, it's a thing I do about every 2-3 days. There's something peaceful about watching them run around without the city noises. Plus, they can be cute, from a distance Razz.
Back to top Go down
jollychick
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: What are Your Hobbies?   Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:54 pm

These are some examples of my nails. Hope you like!!

My first ever nail design (before clean-up):
Spoiler:

Angry Birds:
Spoiler:

Hello Kitty:
Spoiler:

Fruits n' Cream:
Spoiler:

Doraemon:
Spoiler:

NOT my middle finger! It's my left ring finger, check above pic Smile.
Spoiler:

Sunset/Tiger Thingy:
Spoiler:

Acrylic Paint Rainbow:
Spoiler:

Flashy Zebra:
Spoiler:

Supporting my home team, the New Orleans Hornets on game night:
Spoiler:

Random:
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: What are Your Hobbies?   Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:17 pm

Algenon wrote:
I also hike when weather permits and go rock collecting.
Oooh, rock collecting!! That's my "free souvenir" for trips and stuff! I collected so many random bits and pieces I eventually ended up throwing most of them away... Which isn't really a hard thing to do since I just tossed them out into the backyard... haha! Except I did keep some of the cooler ones. Like this one that I found that was kind of teardrop shaped and slightly larger than an egg, but it was completely flat and evenly gray. Super neat. Oh, and this other one that I found had a fossil imprint on it!!

@jollychick - Aww, too bad that English one you played is a PC game. I never got into games like that. My first English otome was Princess Debut for DS! XD Too bad it's a bit short compared to traditional ones. And then I played the English Hakuouki one. I purposely wanted a PSP just so I could play that game!! Laughing

haha, I guess that does make me seem busy, which is pretty true. But I always try to find time to fit in hobbies otherwise life just gets too tedious!! I should post some of my hair pictures since you did with your nails Smile

It might be your first ever nail design, but I really like it!! My fave ones are your "first ever" and "random" designs. I'm not a huge fan of zebra-type patterns for some reason, though that tiger/sunset one is still pretty awesome. So did you draw all of that by yourself?! Like the Doraemon?! Shocked

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: What are Your Hobbies?   Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:53 pm

aerysa wrote:
@jollychick - Aww, too bad that English one you played is a PC game. I never got into games like that. My first English otome was Princess Debut for DS! XD Too bad it's a bit short compared to traditional ones. And then I played the English Hakuouki one. I purposely wanted a PSP just so I could play that game!! Laughing

haha, I guess that does make me seem busy, which is pretty true. But I always try to find time to fit in hobbies otherwise life just gets too tedious!! I should post some of my hair pictures since you did with your nails Smile
I LOVED Yojinbo! It has a very thorough cast. You can chose from main 3 guys that make up the title: Yo (the shota of the group), Jin (red-headed wild guy) and Bo (tall, long, dark hair and stoic). Then there's the older, scruffy guy (kinda like her manservant), a blonde dude who's violent and wears glasses (totally hot!) and this monk. Funny thing is, I don't play PC games like that either, I'm more of a DS kinda gal. My brother was the one who found it and linked me a copy.

I can't lie...I was addicted to Princess Debut the first time I played it Laughing. That was the first otome game I played on DS. I've got a few Japanese ones on DS as well, like Love Revo and Duel Love.

You have to check out Duel Love on youtube! I've never seen anything quite like it. It's about these high school guys who are in this fighting club. There are mini-games like patching him up after a match, helping him keep time while jogging, wiping seat off his naked torso and peeking in on him in the shower (using the mic to blow away just enough steam to see, bu not enough for him to notice you) Shocked.

aerysa wrote:
It might be your first ever nail design, but I really like it!! My fave ones are your "first ever" and "random" designs. I'm not a huge fan of zebra-type patterns for some reason, though that tiger/sunset one is still pretty awesome. So did you draw all of that by yourself?! Like the Doraemon?! Shocked
You should definitely put some pics up! I know I'd love to see them. I'm glad you like them Smile. The first design was the one that made me want to continue it as a hobby. I love patterns, so many of my designs will have some type of pattern. It's super rare for me to do a plain French tip or any plain color, for that matter.

I must admit. While the Angry Bird was done by me, the Doraemon was done using a nail plate and stamp Embarassed. They're really cheap and do wonders when time is limited. They also come in cute characters and animals. I'd just clipped all my nails and the Doraemon was too big too fit on my tips, so he ended up on my ring finger as an accent nail.

It's not as hard as it may seem. Just patience, multiple polishes (maybe some washable paint) and good ventilation. At one point I couldn't even smell the polish anymore so I wasn't as careful about keeping the door open when I did them. A very dangerous thing to do. Be careful Very Happy.
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: What are Your Hobbies?   Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:18 am

jollychick wrote:
I LOVED Yojinbo! It has a very thorough cast. You can chose from main 3 guys that make up the title: Yo (the shota of the group), Jin (red-headed wild guy) and Bo (tall, long, dark hair and stoic). Then there's the older, scruffy guy (kinda like her manservant), a blonde dude who's violent and wears glasses (totally hot!) and this monk. Funny thing is, I don't play PC games like that either, I'm more of a DS kinda gal. My brother was the one who found it and linked me a copy.

I can't lie...I was addicted to Princess Debut the first time I played it Laughing. That was the first otome game I played on DS. I've got a few Japanese ones on DS as well, like Love Revo and Duel Love.

You have to check out Duel Love on youtube! I've never seen anything quite like it. It's about these high school guys who are in this fighting club. There are mini-games like patching him up after a match, helping him keep time while jogging, wiping seat off his naked torso and peeking in on him in the shower (using the mic to blow away just enough steam to see, bu not enough for him to notice you) Shocked.
Oh MY GOSH! ME TOO!! haha, my sister picked up Princess Debut and then we played it for hours upon hours!! Trying to get every guy!! It's such a short game in comparison, which made it kind of fun in its own way.

I've heard of both Love Revo and Duel Love. Did you know Love Revo has it's own manga!? I own it XD And yeees, that rubbing sweat thing from the guy's body... LOL! If you like that game, I'm surprised you haven't tried any of the Tokimeki series. HOLY SMOKES! Same idea! You can pet, poke, flirt with the guy when you're on dates! At first you have to be careful since they haven't warmed up to you yet and they don't like it when you touch them too much. But if they're like/love mode with you... You can pet them to your heart's content and they even blush and what not! The first three are on DS, but the third one also came out with a version on PSP. AND there's all sorts of different endings... It's CRAZY how many options you have.

The other ones I have are Will 'O Wisp and Hakuouki for DS (the Japanese versions) which is crazy hard cuz it's more visual novel style. The sheer amount of reading is crazy. I spent hours on Will 'O Wisp and I didn't even get through the prologue... Needless to say, I didn't play it for very long Laughing

jollychick wrote:
I must admit. While the Angry Bird was done by me, the Doraemon was done using a nail plate and stamp Embarassed. They're really cheap and do wonders when time is limited. They also come in cute characters and animals. I'd just clipped all my nails and the Doraemon was too big too fit on my tips, so he ended up on my ring finger as an accent nail.

It's not as hard as it may seem. Just patience, multiple polishes (maybe some washable paint) and good ventilation. At one point I couldn't even smell the polish anymore so I wasn't as careful about keeping the door open when I did them. A very dangerous thing to do. Be careful Very Happy.
Oh, that's still really good... I've tried the decos before and it was such a pain getting them on exactly where you want them. For some reason, I just don't have the patience when it comes to my nails, even if I can with my hair Razz The main thing I don't like is having to take it all off and how it usually scratches, indents, whatever, so easily. *shrugs* Just has never been my thing at all.

jollychick wrote:
You should definitely put some pics up! I know I'd love to see them.
Since you asked... ^^

Braided Crown
Spoiler:

Hatsumomo Hair
Ever watch Memoirs of a Geisha? My friend asked me to try and replicate her hairstyle from the movie and this is my variation of it. And it's all my hair since I have no clue how to use hair extensions Razz
Spoiler:

Double Twist into a Braid
This is probably the most common hairstyle I like doing since it's super easy and cute at the same time.
Spoiler:

Bun Variation
UGH... This is the hairstyle where I have no clue what I did, so I can't replicate it anymore =__=;;
Spoiler:

Another Bun Variation
The most traditional style of bun I guess?
Spoiler:

Side Swept Bun with Dangling Curl
This is the hairstyle I wore to my cousin's wedding reception a few years ago.
Spoiler:

Diagonal French Braid into a Bun
Spoiler:

"Pineapple Head"
haha, that's the term my friend gave it cuz from the front view, you just see those stray wisps poking out of the top - like the leaves from a pineapple.
Spoiler:

Side Swept Half Bun with Clipped-up Curls
Spoiler:

Annnd... That's all I've got for pictures at the moment. I don't usually document them unless there's something fun that I've tried that they haven't seen before. Or it's just a variation of something already done. So yeah, lots of braids of various kinds are usually involved - regular braid, French braid, Dutch braid, fishtail braid... XD

Oh and of course curling it, then doing something always gives it a different "feel", if you get what I mean. Like it's just fancier when there's curls... haha~

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: What are Your Hobbies?   Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:05 pm

For some reason, I can't see any of the pics... Sad (too bad for me)

But wow, that's a lot of gamers... I do play games (DS, PS2, GBA, PC) but I'm not as crazy as when I was in uni. Maybe at that time I had a bit more time, less hobbies and a living walkthrough (my roommate) for when I was stuck. I'm more to puzzle, RPG and some RTS when I'm in the mood. I tend to be a more casual gamer (in comparison to my brother and some close friends) so casual games like picture finding, word games and all are also enjoyed. I also enjoy arcade shooting games... It's a bit funny for some but it feels like a good stress reliever. But no, I don't condone violence in real life.

Another hobby that I had was collecting keychains and red packets. The red packets thing I'd started on a whim, since I liked the designs on them (and also the money in them Wink ) but then my mother decided she wanted to help me collect and so she'd give me whole packets in one go. She was too enthusiastic that it rather dampened my urge to collect them... But still it's nice to see the designs on them.

But it seems that everyone has more than one hobby here Laughing
Back to top Go down
jollychick
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: What are Your Hobbies?   Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:44 pm

aerysa wrote:
I've heard of both Love Revo and Duel Love. Did you know Love Revo has it's own manga!? I own it XD And yeees, that rubbing sweat thing from the guy's body... LOL! If you like that game, I'm surprised you haven't tried any of the Tokimeki series. HOLY SMOKES! Same idea! You can pet, poke, flirt with the guy when you're on dates! At first you have to be careful since they haven't warmed up to you yet and they don't like it when you touch them too much. But if they're like/love mode with you... You can pet them to your heart's content and they even blush and what not! The first three are on DS, but the third one also came out with a version on PSP. AND there's all sorts of different endings... It's CRAZY how many options you have.
I've got Love Revo on PC, PSP and DS. The PSP version is the most comprehensive port and it's completely voiced, unlike the DS. It makes it a lot easier for me to understand Laughing. I actually have one of the Tokimeki games on my DS but I have even played it once...yet! You've convinced me to try it out. It has absolutely nothing to do with all that petting, poking... and flirting... Embarassed. Anywho, I can't wait! I just recently picked up the english version of Hakuoki on PSP but I'm reluctant to start after all the struggling I did with the Japanese version. That game is seriously long, haha!
aerysa wrote:
Since you asked... ^^
I'll have the "Hatsumomo", "Double Twist into a Braid", "Bun Variation" and the "Pineapple Head" to go, please Smile! My favorite is the double twist. I'll give it shot in the morning, since I can flat twist (?) and plait my hair without a problem Wink. Forget replicating that bun, I never would've got it out the first time Laughing.
silvery wrote:
That's really strange. scratch I have no problem looking at them when I click on "Spoiler" and I've been using two different computers to reply.
silvery wrote:
Another hobby that I had was collecting keychains and red packets.
Wow! I've never even thought about collecting keychains before. That's a great idea Smile.
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: What are Your Hobbies?   Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:17 am

silvery wrote:
That's strange. It worked for me when I checked. So you opened the spoiler and there was nothing there??

jollychick wrote:
I've got Love Revo on PC, PSP and DS. The PSP version is the most comprehensive port and it's completely voiced, unlike the DS. It makes it a lot easier for me to understand Laughing. I actually have one of the Tokimeki games on my DS but I have even played it once...yet! You've convinced me to try it out. It has absolutely nothing to do with all that petting, poking... and flirting... Embarassed. Anywho, I can't wait! I just recently picked up the english version of Hakuoki on PSP but I'm reluctant to start after all the struggling I did with the Japanese version. That game is seriously long, haha!
Do you know which Tokimeki you have?? My favourite one is either 1st or 3rd. I didn't like the characters on 2nd as much for some reason. 1st Love had a LOT of my fave voice actors on it but the play style of 3rd story was really neat since they changed some of it. Oh, and it's all voiced! So yes, it's waaay easier to understand.

I struggled with the Japanese version of Hakuoki, but the English one goes by faster since at least it's my language... haha! But yes, it's still seriously long... I only finished a few of the routes and then I stopped cuz I got the people I wanted Razz I have no dedication to get all the endings CGs. Helps that I've seen them all since I own all the artbooks... Rolling Eyes

jollychick wrote:
I'll have the "Hatsumomo", "Double Twist into a Braid", "Bun Variation" and the "Pineapple Head" to go, please Smile! My favorite is the double twist. I'll give it shot in the morning, since I can flat twist (?) and plait my hair without a problem Wink. Forget replicating that bun, I never would've got it out the first time Laughing.
hehe, I actually made a tutorial for "Hatsumomo", though it's just a written one. I should post it here sometime just for the heck of it. XD I don't know if my friend ever tried it so it's hard to know how well it works. And I've only done it twice, so I don't even know if I could re-do what I did...

"Double twist into a braid" is not that difficult, though you have to be coordinated when you twist the second side. The reason why it's usually on one side is so I can hold it while twisting the second side. Otherwise it'll just all fall apart. For the twist, take a section of your hair and split it evenly into two. Then twist one over the other. Before twisting the other strand, take a section of hair from the bottom and add to the strand, then twist - like French braid idea. Keep going until you're satisfied... And yeah.

"Bun variation"... GAH, that one gives me grief! I really like how that one looks but seriously, I have NO CLUE what I did... Sad It was a one-time deal I guess... Lol~

"Pineapple head" you just make a really high ponytail. Split out the section of hair that is longest, probably about 2/3rds of it and then twist it around the ponytail into a bun. Pin it in place. The free ends are the "leaves" part, so make sure it doesn't get caught into the bun. I think my hair is too long for it now since it was shorter when I first did that... Laughing But helps if your hair is layered so you get various lengths.

silvery wrote:
Another hobby that I had was collecting keychains and red packets.
I did keychains for a while as cheap souvenirs! ^__^ Since I wanted a memento of the various places I've been, but after a while, I just got to many of them... hehe. So stopped doing that. The red packet thing is pretty neat though! I pretty much never get one anyways, but I've seen a few different designs. They can get really fancy!

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: What are Your Hobbies?   Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:07 pm

aerysa wrote:
That's strange. It worked for me when I checked. So you opened the spoiler and there was nothing there??

jollychick wrote:
That's really strange. scratch I have no problem looking at them when I click on "Spoiler" and I've been using two different computers to reply.

Well, when I clicked it, the pics didn't load. Maybe it's too big for my slightly old PC... I'll try again on a different one later.

aerysa wrote:
I did keychains for a while as cheap souvenirs! ^__^ Since I wanted a memento of the various places I've been, but after a while, I just got to many of them... hehe. So stopped doing that. The red packet thing is pretty neat though! I pretty much never get one anyways, but I've seen a few different designs. They can get really fancy

jollychick wrote:
Wow! I've never even thought about collecting keychains before. That's a great idea Smile.

Yeah, the idea started because my parents would sometimes give me some keychains if they went out of town, or when we were spring cleaning we found some that they'd bought but forgotten. Then it got to be too many... but I still keep them, even if I don't really collect them anymore.

I heard that my country is one of the few countries that celebrate Chinese New Year on a big scale outside China. It was a bit of a surprise but my housemate had been to Taiwan about a fortnight before Chinese New Year and she said she didn't see any decorations at all.
Back to top Go down
jollychick
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: What are Your Hobbies?   Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:05 pm

aerysa wrote:
Do you know which Tokimeki you have?? My favourite one is either 1st or 3rd. I didn't like the characters on 2nd as much for some reason. 1st Love had a LOT of my fave voice actors on it but the play style of 3rd story was really neat since they changed some of it. Oh, and it's all voiced! So yes, it's waaay easier to understand.
Kyaaa! I have Tokimeki 1st Love Plus Laughing! I'm starting it tomorrow morning...later this morning Razz after an appointment. I'm so glad it's voiced. Makes it much more enjoyable.
aerysa wrote:
I struggled with the Japanese version of Hakuoki, but the English one goes by faster since at least it's my language... haha! But yes, it's still seriously long... I only finished a few of the routes and then I stopped cuz I got the people I wanted Razz I have no dedication to get all the endings CGs. Helps that I've seen them all since I own all the artbooks... Rolling Eyes
I wish I had the artbooks to defer to. I was really stuck on a few of the one did manage to get which, let me tell you, was no easy feat.
aerysa wrote:
"Double twist into a braid" is not that difficult, though you have to be coordinated when you twist the second side. The reason why it's usually on one side is so I can hold it while twisting the second side. Otherwise it'll just all fall apart. For the twist, take a section of your hair and split it evenly into two. Then twist one over the other. Before twisting the other strand, take a section of hair from the bottom and add to the strand, then twist - like French braid idea. Keep going until you're satisfied... And yeah.
Hmmm. So do you part your hair on the opposite side to separate the twists at their starting points, or...? My twists were pretty tight, so I had to loosen my grip for the right look. Still, it came out good (for me) and if I do it a few more times I'm sure it'll get better.
silvery wrote:
Yeah, the idea started because my parents would sometimes give me some keychains if they went out of town, or when we were spring cleaning we found some that they'd bought but forgotten. Then it got to be too many... but I still keep them, even if I don't really collect them anymore.
I can understand that. Sometimes the most simple collection can start to eat up space in a heartbeat and be devastating to keep up with. I used to collect trade paperback manga, until I ran out of shelf, closet, tote bag and book bag space Laughing. The last one I bought was Chobits. That was obviously years ago.
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: What are Your Hobbies?   Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:46 am

jollychick wrote:

I can understand that. Sometimes the most simple collection can start to eat up space in a heartbeat and be devastating to keep up with. I used to collect trade paperback manga, until I ran out of shelf, closet, tote bag and book bag space Laughing. The last one I bought was Chobits. That was obviously years ago.

Laughing I still collect manga though. Since I share with my brother, money and space was not much of an issue... ten years ago. Now we're more selective of the manga we buy. Space is running low. Especially since gunpla kits can really eat up our storage space.
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: What are Your Hobbies?   Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:52 pm

@silvery - That's so weird that they didn't show up! I already downsized them when I uploaded them so the files aren't actually that big. And the pictures are only 400px big - at least mine are. Maybe it's just your computer then. If not, I can try uploading them somewhere else Smile

jollychick wrote:
Kyaaa! I have Tokimeki 1st Love Plus Laughing! I'm starting it tomorrow morning...later this morning Razz after an appointment. I'm so glad it's voiced. Makes it much more enjoyable.
Oooh! Awesome fun! Well, I don't know your preferences for voice actors, if you have one, but 1st Love has sooo many huge names! And just listening to them talk to you... *swoons* haha~
It's the first one I really got into, so we spent sooo much time playing it, between me and my sister. And it worked out great cuz we would target different guys, which meant we got a lot more endings!! ^__^ I can't remember what the difference is between 1st Love and 1st Love Plus, but you're going to have a lot of fun with it!
Just some pointers if you haven't started it already... Well, even if you have started it already. But your room design choice at the beginning of the game affects your starting stats and your blood type choice affects your horoscope. I think you'll really like it. They put a lot of detail into it and the reading is minimized since all the characters talk, except yourself. And oh, there's just sooo many fun aspects of it! Like the shopping and calling for dates and stuff like that! It's really like going to high-school Laughing

jollychick wrote:
I wish I had the artbooks to defer to. I was really stuck on a few of the one did manage to get which, let me tell you, was no easy feat.
haha, would you believe that I only got into that series because I was looking for new calendars... And then saw these wall calendars for the series and was like Shocked at the bishies... XD And then everything seemed to explode out of proportions with the games, extra ports, anime, manga... And all this paraphernalia for it... But yeah, the artbook collection was from being all crazy into all the pretty pictures... Razz

jollychick wrote:
Hmmm. So do you part your hair on the opposite side to separate the twists at their starting points, or...? My twists were pretty tight, so I had to loosen my grip for the right look. Still, it came out good (for me) and if I do it a few more times I'm sure it'll get better.
Mm... I'm not quite sure I understand the question.
Basically, I start on the left side of my head (because I'm right-handed... lol) and take the small section of hair above my ear. Split it into two sections. Twist the bottom section over the top. Keep repeating with the bottom over the top pattern, but each time after the first one, you add a section of hair at the bottom of your head to that bottom section before you twist it over.
I get 2/3rds of the way to the other side. And WHILE I'm holding that first section in place, I do the second twist on the right side of my head. So I go that far across because it's the easiest way to hold that one while doing the second one... And yeah, you don't have to twist the life out of it. Just keep it snug, close to your head, but it doesn't have to be overly tight. So then you get that bit of volume.
When I learned this style in high school, we actually did them from side to middle, which was totally fine... When you're doing this on someone ELSE. But it's hard to hold it in place at the back of your own head while trying to do the second twist. That's why mine is always off to one side - the right side, because that right-handedness comes into play.

jollychick wrote:
haha, that's like my rock collection! And I couldn't even tell which rock was from where, so I just tossed them into the backyard Razz I wish all things were that easy to get rid of! As for the manga collection, it wasn't that I didn't like manga, but it's just sooo pricey to buy every series you enjoy! So I ended up only buying ones I really, really was interested in. The only one I'm collecting at the moment is Library Wars. Mostly because I really wanted to read it and there were no scanlations for it... Lol! But I don't mind because I really like it~

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: What are Your Hobbies?   Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:44 pm

silvery wrote:
Laughing I still collect manga though. Since I share with my brother, money and space was not much of an issue... ten years ago. Now we're more selective of the manga we buy. Space is running low. Especially since gunpla kits can really eat up our storage space.
I'm sure they can take a lot of space. What do yall do with the gunpla after you've...assembled(?) them? Do you display them somehow? I've seen pictures on Google where some people put them in glass cases or on top of mantles to show them off.
aerysa wrote:
Mm... I'm not quite sure I understand the question.
Basically, I start on the left side of my head (because I'm right-handed... lol) and take the small section of hair above my ear. Split it into two sections. Twist the bottom section over the top. Keep repeating with the bottom over the top pattern, but each time after the first one, you add a section of hair at the bottom of your head to that bottom section before you twist it over.
I get 2/3rds of the way to the other side. And WHILE I'm holding that first section in place, I do the second twist on the right side of my head. So I go that far across because it's the easiest way to hold that one while doing the second one... And yeah, you don't have to twist the life out of it. Just keep it snug, close to your head, but it doesn't have to be overly tight. So then you get that bit of volume.
When I learned this style in high school, we actually did them from side to middle, which was totally fine... When you're doing this on someone ELSE. But it's hard to hold it in place at the back of your own head while trying to do the second twist. That's why mine is always off to one side - the right side, because that right-handedness comes into play.
You basically answered it Laughing. I was wondering if you parted the section above your left ear, or if you just grabbed the hair to start. I finger parted my hair to start the twists and it turned out fine. I've done two twists going straight from front to back (Laura Ingalls, Little House on the Prairie braids style) but doing it to the side was new.It's always easier when you do hair on someone else Laughing.
aerysa wrote:
Oooh! Awesome fun! Well, I don't know your preferences for voice actors, if you have one, but 1st Love has sooo many huge names! And just listening to them talk to you... *swoons* haha~
It's the first one I really got into, so we spent sooo much time playing it, between me and my sister. And it worked out great cuz we would target different guys, which meant we got a lot more endings!! ^__^ I can't remember what the difference is between 1st Love and 1st Love Plus, but you're going to have a lot of fun with it!
I like certain types of voices. While I may recognize some voices from other works they've done, I can't actually name them Smile. Generally, I don't go for the shota boys...it just feels so wrong. Can't think of any names, but I prefer heavier voices Very Happy.
aerysa wrote:
haha, that's like my rock collection! And I couldn't even tell which rock was from where, so I just tossed them into the backyard Razz I wish all things were that easy to get rid of! As for the manga collection, it wasn't that I didn't like manga, but it's just sooo pricey to buy every series you enjoy! So I ended up only buying ones I really, really was interested in. The only one I'm collecting at the moment is Library Wars. Mostly because I really wanted to read it and there were no scanlations for it... Lol! But I don't mind because I really like it~
I LOVE Library Wars. Last I checked, the scanlators had completed up to volume 3. I was determined to find it after I watched the anime. Such a cool story!

Has anyone ever made bead jewelry? I saw some do-it-yourself bracelets in Walmart. You pick out a plain bangle or chain bracelet, then you pick out different packs of glass beads. It was by a company called Mix n Mingle, I think. I didn't buy one but I wanted to know if anyone had tried it out before I picked some up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What are Your Hobbies?   Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:46 pm

well for me. I love reading when there is a book with a good story I will definitly gonna read. so I love reading. I love playing video games i love watching movies and tv series, All over the world (2/3 of the countries I watch something). and I love writing stories and love collecting I clloect everything books, games, postcards.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What are Your Hobbies?   Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:03 pm

Lots of likes on hairstyling. I was a hairstylist for many years before I had kids. Nothing beats messing around with your own hair though. I had some great clients, and prom season and homecoming were fun styling for a change of pace. Some people have completely unrealistic ideas when they come in (like they want the face of the model in a pic) I never looked at it as a hobby, since I did it for a living, but I guess it was.
As far as personal hobbies go I love interior design. I am constantly moving furniture and things around in my house. I love hitting antique stores whenever I travel and finding cool pieces. Plus you are always left with the memory of where you bought something and the people you were with.

I also love snowshoeing. It's an awesome butt kicking workout. Last year when I was going up Mt Rainier it was crazy how cold it is and your shedding your clothes as you are going up because your body gets so hot. I've never been much of an outdoorsy person,(like camping) but snowshoeing is a bit addictive.

And of course it goes without saying I really love reading manga. My kids love anime. I have a blast making cosplay for them for SakuraCon every year. I love seeing other peoples homemade cosplay. There is a lot of store bought stuff out there, but I truly enjoy seeing the creative ideas people come up with. Last year I made mameshiba costumes. It took about a day to make each one. (there were 4 all together) I had a blast and the kids totally loved them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Hobbies   Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:40 am

I used to play a lot of video games then I entered college and became poor so I can't afford t.v., let alone games. Now most of my hobbies are reading, sports, and traveling.
For reading: I will read anything. Manga, Historic, Action, Scif-Fi, Fiction, Light novels, and much, much more.
For sports: Soccer, Judo, Street-Dance, Archery, Track and Field, Basketball, Volleyball, and a few others.
For traveling: I have almost made it to all fifty states and right now I am in Japan...even if it is for school.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are Your Hobbies?   

Back to top Go down

What are Your Hobbies?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next