Share | 

Multiple story lines...?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jollychick
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Multiple story lines...?    Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:19 am

I'm currently reading Tapestry by Karen Ranney. Really good, but it has it's dark moments Smile. Although this would really be considered a sub-plot, there's a section in the book that has a different female's point of view (no, she's not the antagonist) and it feels almost like a new storyline.

This reminded me that I was once on a book review thread, somewhere in cyberspace, and I came across a good number of people complaining about, and discussing their disdain for, novels that contain multiple story lines...kinda like a movie. I can see how this could be distracting from the main couple and story, but I'm not sure if I would completely hate, though Neutral. I can't remember any such thing in my most recent reads but what about you all?

Any books come to mind? How do feel about this concept?
Back to top Go down
Nathye

PostSubject: Re: Multiple story lines...?    Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:42 am

Well in my case I am not particularly keen on multiple story lines Rolling Eyes . But it depends on how it's written, if I really enjoy a writer style I certainly will read it till the end, no matter what I come across. Wink But if I start to lose focus or to misunderstand the whole plot, then forget it scratch I will still read till the end but not with such passion.
At this moment I don't recall any book with multiple stories, which is normal since I haven't been reading much lately.

PostSubject: Re: Multiple story lines...?    Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:54 pm

Leigh Michaels - does multiple story lines. In her regency romance book, The Birthday Scandal, there are three stories in one book and it is all around their Uncle's birthday and expected inheritance. For the most part, I enjoyed the book, but I wish they did a better job at developing the romance for the brother.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Birthday-Scandal-ebook/dp/B007RRM3G8/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1364629568&sr=1-1&keywords=birthday+scandal

I also read the book, Just One Season in London, which also had multiple story lines - I liked how the stories were all intertwined. For the most part, I thought the characters were well developed - I liked the stories of Miranda and Rye.
Back to top Go down
jollychick
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Multiple story lines...?    Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:32 am

Nathye wrote:
Well in my case I am not particularly keen on multiple story lines Rolling Eyes . But it depends on how it's written, if I really enjoy a writer style I certainly will read it till the end, no matter what I come across. Wink But if I start to lose focus or to misunderstand the whole plot, then forget it scratch I will still read till the end but not with such passion.
At this moment I don't recall any book with multiple stories, which is normal since I haven't been reading much lately.
Yeah...that whole "lose sight of the original purpose for the story" thing is what worries me. It seems like it might be more distracting. After searching through my memory banks, I distinctly remember reading a two-part story about best friends who fall (literally) in to an alternate universe. The audience is dragged along two separate romances as the friends start dating brothers. My gripe with the story was the author kept focusing on the friend I absolutely hated Evil or Very Mad. It was frustrating the she didn't outline both relationships equally. Sadly, the less desirable couple had the entire second book to themselves! Ugh!! I can't even remember the title.
jadegreentiger wrote:
Leigh Michaels - does multiple story lines. In her regency romance book, The Birthday Scandal, there are three stories in one book and it is all around their Uncle's birthday and expected inheritance. For the most part, I enjoyed the book, but I wish they did a better job at developing the romance for the brother.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Birthday-Scandal-ebook/dp/B007RRM3G8/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1364629568&sr=1-1&keywords=birthday+scandal

I also read the book, Just One Season in London, which also had multiple story lines - I liked how the stories were all intertwined. For the most part, I thought the characters were well developed - I liked the stories of Miranda and Rye.
Thanks for the link. It sounded really interesting so I picked up The Birthday Scandal. I got a sample of Just One Season in London...for now Wink.

The one story I remember (mentioned above) was a time travel type book. Maybe the two you suggested will turn out better since I much prefer historical over time travel. I know that it also has a lot to do with the author and their writing style, though.
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Multiple story lines...?    Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:36 pm

I'm ok with multiple story lines, I suppose. Reading manga has helped me get used to it. I will however, insist that emphasis be given to the main characters before you play around with the supporting characters. If the author likes the supporting characters that much, write another book especially for them. Readers don't get a headache following multiple plots and the author can earn more with the additional book. Win-win to me Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Multiple story lines...?    Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:27 pm

It depends on the story and if the type of story lines. I don't mind a framed story like in Sherazade used to tell in the Arabian Nights. However some story lines like switching a character's perspectivel leave me hanging. I have read Marion Zimmer Bradely's books and that is one of her styles. I usually end up reading just one story line and go back and read the other one.
Back to top Go down
jollychick
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Multiple story lines...?    Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:37 am

Algenon wrote:
It depends on the story and if the type of story lines. I don't mind a framed story like in Sherazade used to tell in the Arabian Nights. However some story lines like switching a character's perspectivel leave me hanging. I have read Marion Zimmer Bradely's books and that is one of her styles. I usually end up reading just one story line and go back and read the other one.
I'm slightly ashamed to admit that I've never read Arabian Nights Embarassed. It always sounded really good but I haven't picked it up. I know I should rectify this this, but finding the time is my problem.
Back to top Go down
nippergryph2

PostSubject: Re: Multiple story lines...?    Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:46 am

I think multiple story lines if done right are entertaining and allow you to get a better understanding of the story. When they are done wrong it is a headache. The book that comes to mind when you talk about multiple story lines is War and Peace. I tried reading it. I got halfway through but there were just to many characters and plots, it was just to much.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Multiple story lines...?    Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:20 pm

I like the occasional change of POV so we know what some of the other characters/sides are thinking and subplots make the overall story much more interesting. What annoys me though are various main plots in one story that are not connected at all. I prefer a "wired" story. Except in slice-of-life, though in the end most plots seem to connect. As long as they connect they are subplots and that's fine with me^^
Back to top Go down
jollychick
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Multiple story lines...?    Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:52 pm

kujika wrote:
I like the occasional change of POV so we know what some of the other characters/sides are thinking and subplots make the overall story much more interesting. What annoys me though are various main plots in one story that are not connected at all. I prefer a "wired" story. Except in slice-of-life, though in the end most plots seem to connect. As long as they connect they are subplots and that's fine with me^^
Yeah. That about sums up how I feel. Since I haven't read many of this type of story, I'm not an expert or anything but when done right, it can really enhance the story-telling. I love when authors give both hero and heroine POV! It really helps explain some of the actions, reactions and motivations of the characters.

On the other hand, I sometimes forget that I'm the only one privy to their thoughts, so I'll be fussing at the book like "My goodness! He loves you! Why do you keep questioning and second-guessing yourself?!" or "He's being a jerk because he's jealous! Not because he doesn't care." until I remember he only admitted his feelings to himself and me so far Embarassed. Lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Multiple story lines...?    

Back to top Go down

Multiple story lines...?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1