Download Scanlations from SMScans Here

BlogHomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Do you read shounen/seinen too?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Do you read shounen/seinen too?   Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:25 am

And I don't mean shojo with action (like Saver). If yes, what's your favourites?
Just interested, 'cause most of you seem to be deep romantics I love you 

Actually I do, just not the epitom of shounen ones -  like Dragon Ball, though I watched it as a kid haha. Fairy Tail seems pretty popular with girls, it's just not my thing.

So far there's only been a few shounen I've followed all the way:

• Psyren (so pleasantly short for a shounen; when will they finally make an anime? ._.)
  • Hikaru no Go (Saaaai *squeals* <-- Suspect)
  • The Breaker (I don't even know why)
  • Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro (it was some kind of odd fascination, ok?)
  • Tower of God (I just <3 the first season)
  • Kuroshitsuji (hmmm, I took a long break. yep, it's shonen haha)
  • Itsuwaribito (my ava is actually from there. such an addicting mix of cuteness and big bad action.)
  • Magi (recently lost its charm though)
  • Kubera

Some people ask me if I'm more into shounen than shojo after all thus I'm gonna stop here <_<

P.S. Why is there no Manga subforum? D:
Back to top Go down
jollychick
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Do you read shounen/seinen too?   Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:25 pm

scratch Strangely, I love watching shounen anime but I've never finished a shounen manga. I love anime like Naruto, One Piece and Bleach. I also love Hajime no Ippo, Samurai Champloo, Kenichi and Cowboy Bebop. Not really sure if Sorcerer Hunters and Those Who Hunt Elves count as shounen...Question 

For some reason I always end up losing interest in shounen manga. But it's the complete opposite when it comes to shoujo. I'm more likely to drop a shoujo anime in favor of manga. Never really thought about till now, though.scratch
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you read shounen/seinen too?   Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:10 am

Hmm... now that you mention it: with anime I prefer shounen, a good 90% of the anime I watch is shounen. With manga it's a pretty equal mix. As stated I avoid the epitoms of shounen style, like Dragon Ball, they are just not my thing.

The only shoujo I watched all the way is Earl&Fairy, Nodame Cantabile, Honey & Clover, Natsume Yuujinchou, Saiunkoku Monogatari, Nadeshiko and err... that's it? From a list of about 300 anime ,_,

I often say "too sparkly" *throws* "too cheesy" *throws* "someone remove that mentally challenged chit" *throws*

As for losing interest in shounen manga: Try a short series like Hikaru no Go (~184 chapters) or Psyren (19 volumes) first. I always drop stuff like Naruto or Bleach because it draaags. Same with long shoujo actually.
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Do you read shounen/seinen too?   Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:53 am

Yup!! I do~

Ones that I follow are Magi, Bleach, D.Gray-man, Ouroubos and Until Death Do Us Part.

Speaking of anime versus manga, I in general do not watch a lot of anime. It's way easier to sit down and read manga than it is for me to sit and watch anime. Also, you get a lot more background/detail in the manga than you do in animation. They just can't animate everything that happens!

The only reason I would watch is because I happen to like the manga series - which is what happened in the case of Magi.

As for dropping series, I drop more shoujo series, but that's because overall, I read more shoujo stuff to begin with! Laughing 

So yeah, as much as I love the romance aspect, sometimes I just need a change of pace and want to see people beat each other up! XD Or at least just action-adventure.

PostSubject: Re: Do you read shounen/seinen too?   Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:50 am

Quote :
So yeah, as much as I love the romance aspect, sometimes I just need a change of pace

Same! I have a shoujo phase and a shounen phase. I rarely read them at the same time. Actually what fascinates me about shounen is the same thing that I like about shoujo manga like Skip Beat or Nodame Cantabile - people who show others what they got. That's kind of fascinating xD

I really <3 how Magi started out, but once the magic city/academy arc came out I fell out of like a bit :/ Might start on it again though.
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Do you read shounen/seinen too?   Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:19 am

I started my love for manga with shounen, actually. The first being Dragon Ball (to me, forever a classic Wink ). Then I moved onto a lot of other shounens, including the Jump top 3 and then some. Psyren was nice (i just finished it recently) but i felt that the ending was a little rushed. For me, I read shounens for the action, adventure and maybe the comedy. There's something about the indomitable spirit of the hero that never gives up or will always find a way. In the end he's most probably not getting what he wants, but he's still chasing his dream. Shoujos are for the emotional ties, the sweet, sometimes cute heroines who's trying her best, whether it's getting the guy's attention or pursuing something she wants. Although I think I'm more of a josei person now... ditzy heroines drive me nuts.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you read shounen/seinen too?   Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:29 pm

Quote :
ditzy heroines drive me nuts.
Agreed! Especially if it's exaggerated and makes you say "no one can possibly be THAT clumsy and idiotic".

Quote :
Psyren was nice (i just finished it recently) but i felt that the ending was a little rushed.
Unfortunately D:

Quote :
The first being Dragon Ball (to me, forever a classic Wink )
Same. I only dislike the manga, not the anime. Actually I watched the anime in my first language (german) and only recently started to collect it in english.

Quote :
There's something about the indomitable spirit of the hero that never gives up
Totally. My first shounen manga was Kenshin and it made me read more and more.

Back to top Go down
Celestine
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Do you read shounen/seinen too?   Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:02 pm

Hmm I liked Gundam Wing. Especially Episode Zero. This one affected me the most also one of earliest read.
Bleach (yay Bleach)
Magi ( the kid's cool okay)
Ranma 1/2 (of course, so funny, and there's like martial arts)
Cowboy Bebop (that was a good one to read)
Kuroshitsuji ( I don't know how to describe it, it is dark, but its alluring guess could describe it)
Beelzebub ( funny, in your face type)
Soul Eater (of course, those academy kids are the kick-a--bomb

oh so much more.....
Back to top Go down
blanblah
Cool User
Cool User

PostSubject: Re: Do you read shounen/seinen too?   Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:09 pm

Yeah. I read pretty much everything. I don't really know about favorites, but off the top of my head I can think of two I really enjoy. Bleach and Until Death Do Us Part. While I enjoy the fluffiness of shoujo or the romantic aspects of many others I read, there is something fun about the more action packed, fighting type manga. Guess it just depends on my mood.
Back to top Go down
swedesamurai
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Do you read shounen/seinen too?   Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:24 am

I like just about all genres of Manga/Manhwa but I guess since I'm older Seinen really appeals to me.  Noriyuki Yamahana's Orange Yane no Chiisana Ie is a good seinen slice of life type manga, This is a really G-Rated Manga.  But Seinen tends to deal with more complex issues and I really enjoy them.  It's like reading a comic book version of a novel.  
Some of them border on Josei with the amounts of smut in them and some of them have extreme violence, but you can find that in just about everything including Mina-- but the slice of life ones I've read as well as the seinen romances present more complex or more 'feel good' stories than in other genres.
But I like most Manga when the art is good and the stories are good.

Last edited by swedesamurai on Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: By a non-shounen/seinen reader   Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:00 am

This is an awfully interesting topic you have here. For some reason I have never been really interested in reading those, at least constantly... I even find Josei without romance easy to drop, I once read "Amatsuki" but I probably made reading it harder when I thought that I should watch its anime at the same time. I might have been able to move to shounen from that. And I never thought that "Kubera" was shounen, ok seems to be...

Anyway, Silvery easily brought out when drives her nuts in shoujo... Is there anything similar to bring out in shounen?

It might be hard to say because the most popular manga (ever?) mostly seem to be shounen and you seem to read those. Girls seem more divided. Maybe I´m wrong. I also once heard that men find it harder than women to relate to heroes from the opposite sex. Well, at least in my case it is less embarrassing to watch shounen anime than shoujo.

I might try your suggestions.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you read shounen/seinen too?   Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:04 am

Hm, annoying common stuff in shounen... can't summarize it in two words like silvery :p

Everyone is immortal & too much talk during fights to the death (that annoys the realists). Heroes are always righteous and use platidudes (that annoys the cynic - though there are a few anti-heroes like in Code Geass, Death Note or Kuroshitsuji).

I can see why people who like mature stuff and realismn prefer seinen over shounen. I still love shounen too lol!
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Do you read shounen/seinen too?   Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:31 pm

I think a couple of Seinens that I liked were Biomeat (can't remember the mangaka off hand like this) and Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer (same problem again) the good thing about Seinen is that they also focus on the emotions, and make you think, in comparison with shounen which is all about the action and getting kids to idolize a hero. I don't think I drop/ stop reading as many shounen as I do shoujo. For me the shounen heroes are going through a rite of passage to be an adult. The only thing I don't like are the animes that drag forever...
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Do you read shounen/seinen too?   Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:53 pm

Oh yay! Someone else who also likes Until Death Do Us Part!!~ For a pretty gruesome shounen series, I really like it. The storyline is really different and the artwork is easy on the eyes, unlike some series... XD

Pet peeve about shounen series... The length of chapters!! HAHA~ I hate how they're only like 15-18 pages long and then before you know it, it's done. Ugh. I want a little more meat! I wonder why that is. The typical chapter length for shounen series are about 18 pages while shoujo ones are closer to 30... Just the nature of the series? Action vs drama?

I guess content related, just the fact that the bad guys never seem to die (Bleach...), and they talk too much between/prior to fights. Why do they have to announce, "I am going to use Supreme Fireball Blast on you!!" prior to using it... =__=;; Just use it and injure/kill/maim your enemy already!! And when that doesn't work, they announce, "Well then... I'm going to use Ultimate Supreme Unstoppable Fireball Blast!!" Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad (Which is ALWAYS stoppable anyways...)

Which reminds me... They also do that in sports ones! Case in point - Prince of Tennis. Well, I don't know if they so much as announce what they're doing, but seriously...! Every player has THAT many special moves?! o__O;;

I don't think I've ever actually read seinen. Usually seinen (like josei) goes hand-in-hand with slice of life since it has that more mature audience to go with it. Just never appealed to me.

Oh... As for Magi, I think it's getting interesting now! I'm not sure how far into the Magnostadtt (whatever...) arc you got, but things have taken a turn and I'm sure (hoping!) that it's nearing some kind of conclusion. Al Thalmen (whatever spelling) has made a move and all the pieces are coming together (Kou country, the one with Lady Scheradzeda (bah, spelling!) and Magnostadtt)... Alibaba and Aladdin are reunited and what not too!

Well, I'm one of those faithful ones... haha, even if it gets a bit boring. I mean, I ALREADY read 150+ chapters (500+ for Bleach Shocked ), so I'm going to stick around for the ending. But once again, links back to the peeve about length... 2 chapters of shounen is pretty much equivalent to 1 in shoujo Rolling Eyes

PostSubject: Re: Do you read shounen/seinen too?   Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:15 am

@aerysa
good job, you got the "shounen tragedy" perfectly for all to see xD

P.S. Random thought: Actually josei is not always slice-of-life. A good example would be 7 Seeds or Petshop of Horrors. And Seinen isn't always deeper than shounen, example: Break Hands. Same as shoujo isn't always about high school girls - or girls at all: +C: Sword and Cornett.

Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Do you read shounen/seinen too?   Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:25 am

kujika wrote:
@aerysa

P.S. Random thought: Actually josei is not always slice-of-life. A good example would be 7 Seeds or Petshop of Horrors. And Seinen isn't always deeper than shounen, example: Break Hands. Same as shoujo isn't always about high school girls - or girls at all: +C: Sword and Cornett.
Lol~ It's true though...

That's true about the categories, but in general... Oh, and I guess another difficulty is that shoujo/shounen get translated into English more often than josei/seinen. So it's kind of difficult to get your hands on what series might interest you.

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Do you read shounen/seinen too?   Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:37 pm

aerysa wrote:
kujika wrote:
@aerysa

Lol~ It's true though...

That's true about the categories, but in general... Oh, and I guess another difficulty is that shoujo/shounen get translated into English more often than josei/seinen. So it's kind of difficult to get your hands on what series might interest you.

That's most likely because of the difficulties translating them... Seinen and Josei are targeted at older readers so the kanji has no furigana (and drives me nuts going through the dictionary) and when you get a complicated kanji that's hard to see when scanned, it can take a while to translate/ drive a translator mad. Especially when he/she has only basic Japanese. Shounen has furigana so even if they don't know the meaning of the kanji, as long as they can read the furigana and type that into a dictionary, they can go really fast... also, most shounen are all action and screaming anyway...
Back to top Go down
nippergryph2

PostSubject: Re: Do you read shounen/seinen too?   Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:18 pm

I read shoumen as well as shoujo. Trigun was actually the first manga I read. I like UDDUP, Dragon Ball, and Samurai X (Rurouni Kenshin.
Back to top Go down
Veramonte
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Do you read shounen/seinen too?   Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:39 pm

I also read a lot of shounen/seinen ^O^
The Black Swindler, Break Age, Captain Kid, Black Lagoon, Shoot, Detective Conan, Psychic Detective Yakumo, Itsuwaribito no Utsuho....

Usually shounen/seinen has more variety in plot compared to shoujo mangas. That's why I love them more than shoujos.
However the fluffs in shoujo mangas are just addicting. They breath fresh air when you are bored from the never-ending story or super-powerfully-impossible-villains.
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Do you read shounen/seinen too?   Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:26 am

Veramonte wrote:

Usually shounen/seinen has more variety in plot compared to shoujo mangas. That's why I love them more than shoujos.
However the fluffs in shoujo mangas are just addicting. They breath fresh air when you are bored from the never-ending story or super-powerfully-impossible-villains.
And you read shounen/ seinen when you're tired of the never ending saccharine sweetness you get from reading too much shoujo? Wink
Back to top Go down
Veramonte
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Do you read shounen/seinen too?   Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:20 pm

silvery wrote:

And you read shounen/ seinen when you're tired of the never ending saccharine sweetness you get from reading too much shoujo? Wink
Yeah definitely.. *lol*

The romance in shounen/seinen are not deeply explored!
I loved Otogi Matsuri, it was labeled 'Romance' although it's also seinen.
But I could only remember three scenes where the romance is in the air.
I can't believe it Mad 

Sorry for ranting Embarassed 
Back to top Go down
usoppnomiko
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Do you read shounen/seinen too?   Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:26 pm

I like mangas of all sorts. Mostly I go with shoujo mangas but I also get absorbed with other genres especially horror. I love Junji Ito and his stories. I love CLAMP and their stories really go beyond the Shoujo genre most of the times. Currently, I'm addicted to the following titles:

One Piece
Bleach
Yakitate Japan
Hikaru no Go
Ah My Goddess
Yamada and the 7 Witches
Liar Game
Death Note
Angel Densetsu
Back to top Go down
http://www.usoppnomiko.insanejournal.com
kihi

PostSubject: Re: Do you read shounen/seinen too?   Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:18 am

I read all type og genre as long as the storyline is good.
Back to top Go down
puniet

PostSubject: Re: Do you read shounen/seinen too?   Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:56 pm

I read seinen/shonen off and on when I feel like a dose of action. Unfortunately, most action series tend to talk themselves to death for me. The fights just stop being exciting when the other characters stand around like commentators at a football game saying "oh, he's going to use the so-and-so technique that..." Sleep 
The one series I've really stuck with is UDDUP because it generally avoids this trap.
Back to top Go down
minun07

PostSubject: Re: Do you read shounen/seinen too?   Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:24 am

I read any story as long as it's good, shounen and seinen though the first thing I grab for is usually shoujo and josei.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you read shounen/seinen too?   

Back to top Go down

Do you read shounen/seinen too?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next