Shojo Manhwa Scans

Download Scanlations from SMScans Here

BlogHomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

How much does a manga cost in your place?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Veramonte
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: How much does a manga cost in your place?   Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:05 pm

Hello, I've been wondering if the price of mangas differ around the world.

In my place, it's like this give or take:

Cost:
20,000 (about 1.80 usd, or 1.30 euro in current exchange rate)
This is only for teen-adult mangas such as harlequins or seinens.
Shoujos or shounens without adult theme cost a little less more.
(About 1.55 usd or 1.15 euro).

Paper:
the grey-ish paper (I don't know what's it called) which was made from recycled paper.
The ink smeared all over your finger when you read bounce 

Update:
Mostly monthly for popular series.
Less popular or ongoing series could get to half a year (I think) or simply discontinued Crying or Very sad 
Back to top Go down
usoppnomiko
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: How much does a manga cost in your place?   Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:08 pm

Around 400 -700 pesos depending on the store and the manga type. That would be around US$9 - US$16 or so...
Back to top Go down
http://www.usoppnomiko.insanejournal.com
Veramonte
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: How much does a manga cost in your place?   Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:06 pm

usoppnomiko wrote:
Around 400 -700 pesos depending on the store and the manga type. That would be around US$9 - US$16 or so...
Wow, compared to my country, that's very expensive.... Shocked 
Does the paper/cover or print quality better?
Those less-than-2-usd mangas in my country are soft cover, btw.
Back to top Go down
salamand

PostSubject: Hungary   Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:06 am

They cost around $7-10, and the selection in not too broad. And there are no
HQ mangas. Crying or Very sad Not that I really mind, since the translations are not really good. I my country the target group of mangas are still the under-aged kids, and the translation and the selection reflects it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How much does a manga cost in your place?   Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:17 am

In my part of the United States of America, the price for manga really varies and depends on the publisher. It runs the gamut between $10.00 to $20.00, based on a number of factors such as paper quality, number of workers on the manga (translation, editing, typesetting, etc.), and whether it's something special like an omnibus edition or an edition with a colored spread since color pages cost more to print.

Average price seems to be right around $12-$13 dollars, though.

If you're smart, though, you just buy used on Amazon. That is, unless you really are gunning for more of the artist's work to come overseas -- in that case, buy new to show the publisher that there is a market! I bought all my Hoshino Lily and Hinako Takanaga manga new, because I wanted more of their releases to come over.
Back to top Go down
swedesamurai
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: How much does a manga cost in your place?   Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:35 am

Well since I live in Germany the prices are in Euros.  The price for a Manga Volume is from 5,95 to 8,00 € (ca. US$8.03-US$10.80) per some are more expensive than others.  Recently I bought Volume 1 through 3 of Toradora for 7,00 € per Volume.  Since I read and speak German fluently this is no problem.  At the Japanese food store in Stuttgart that I frequent for my fixes of some of the Japanese fare that I grew up with they have a Japanese Book corner where you can take Japanese periodicals and some times I find Mangas in the pile of magazines.  I read Japanese really slowly(Hirgana and Kakatana really fast but Kanji since I've not had the years of memorizing them is real slow dictionary work) but I can still enjoy them.
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: How much does a manga cost in your place?   Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:48 am

Hmm, locally translated ones are about MYR4.80 (USD 1.50) and the quality is quite ok, but they usually don't print the coloured pages (as is the practice with most tankoubons) These are in Malay.

The English versions are usually imported, so that's more expensive, about MYR30-40 (USD9.30-12.40). But since there's Kinokuniya, there's also the Japanese ones, which are slightly cheaper at about RM20-RM30 (USD6.20-9.30). Oh, there are also Chinese ones, which are in the price range of the Malay ones, so we have a wide range of languages and prices to choose from. But only urban areas (though not all) have the English and Japanese ones.
Back to top Go down
jollychick
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: How much does a manga cost in your place?   Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:08 pm

In my neck of the woods (east coast of US) the price varies between $9.99 and $14.99. But this is usually the price for trade paperback (tankoubon) editions.

Single manga chapters (which I've always called "loosies") sell for a few dollars less. Somewhere around $3.99. Harlequin has never been available, no matter which state I've lived/vacationed in so far Sad but my search shall continue.
Back to top Go down
Veramonte
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: How much does a manga cost in your place?   Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:04 pm

jollychick wrote:
In my neck of the woods (east coast of US) the price varies between $9.99 and $14.99. But this is usually the price for trade paperback (tankoubon) editions.

Single manga chapters (which I've always called "loosies") sell for a few dollars less. Somewhere around $3.99. Harlequin has never been available, no matter which state I've lived/vacationed in so far Sad but my search shall continue.
Single manga chapters/loosies are sold? Well, that's a new information Shocked 
We don't have those in here...
And the no-harlequin mangas is a bit of a shock. I thought they are marketed well in UK & US..

Still, after starting this thread I was appalled by the price of a manga all around the world. A lot of people in my country considered manga price in my country is a bit high. We shouldn't be complaining now, right? Shocked 
Back to top Go down
shngml

PostSubject: Re: How much does a manga cost in your place?   Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:54 am

I think it's in the 8-13 dollars range. I wish I was in Japan again, they were really cheap. Especially when you go to second hand shops. Japanese people really like to keep their mangas in good condition.
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: How much does a manga cost in your place?   Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:37 am

shngml wrote:
I think it's in the 8-13 dollars range.  I wish I was in Japan again, they were really cheap.  Especially when you go to second hand shops.  Japanese people really like to keep their mangas in good condition.
I agree. I remember my one business trip there and I went wild in "Book Off". It was so worth it because I could get three to four books at the price of what I'd normally pay for one (in original Japanese) in my home country.
Back to top Go down
morninglight
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: How much does a manga cost in your place?   Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:44 pm

Around where I live, some cost $9.99 to $19 dollars. Some are cheaper than other. If you buy the special edition one, the cost is too high.
Back to top Go down
lethalene
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: How much does a manga cost in your place?   Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:46 pm

The average price for translated books is about €8, which is about $11. But this is just for the popular shoujos and shounens considered cheaper and reasonably priced. Some publishers' publications are more expensive.
The Japanese version should be a little more expensive by at least $1.
Second-hand bookstores for mangas in Japanese are very scarce outside of the capital city.
Back to top Go down
nippergryph2

PostSubject: Re: How much does a manga cost in your place?   Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:35 am

From $9.99 to $11.99 for regular manga. I am in east coast usa.
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: How much does a manga cost in your place?   Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:20 pm

Whoops! Somehow missed this topic the last time I was here.

For me, manga is typically anywhere from $13 to $25+ (Canadian). It depends on how the manga is published. $13 end is more for one volume of manga, equivalent to the Japanese volume. For some series, what they've done is publish in larger format and condensed it all into one volume, so it's on the higher end. The other thing they've also been doing is condensing multiple volumes into one big book. While I haven't checked the actual price of it, I would guess that it's higher in cost.

Mostly, it seems to depend on the publishing company in terms of format that they release in.

Typical size for the one-volume books is slightly bigger than a paperback novel, but I would say the multiple-volume books I've seen are closer to a hardcover novel size.

And heck yeeees! to the Book Off comment! It's SO cheap there, and they're usually in pretty good condition. When I went there with my friend, it was practically like a library! Everyone just stands there reading... I think we got some for $1 or $2, which is dirt cheap compared to the prices that we pay (as stated above...) Even the CDs were really good deals! I know I picked up some older ones for just a few bucks, when it would cost me 10 times more to buy it new, from an online site.

Though, I will say -- for our manga, it's pretty decent quality. No cheap paper and rubbing off ink. For the price we pay, people would flip. And they do include color panels, if there are any. So while it is still expensive, I guess I just got used to it? Laughing That's also why I'm SUPER selective about which series I start collecting.

It'd be cool to see some pictures, if people can get them! Just to comparatively see the differences ^^

Cool User
Cool User

PostSubject: Re: How much does a manga cost in your place?   Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:33 pm

Here in the US a manga volume costs between $10 to $15, depending on the manga. Yaoi titles usually cost more because they are not as readily sold, so closer to about $12. Shounen, Shoujo, Seinen, Josei titles are closer to $10. But some titles just always cost more, like Berserk usually costs around $15. Bleach is really popular and can be found around $10. Vampire Knight and Black Bird are also around $10. You can buy online through places like Amazon and get some volumes sometimes as much as $8, especially if it is a new release or you get it on pre-order. Supply and demand can either raise or lower the price.
Back to top Go down
ermo
Cool User
Cool User

PostSubject: Re: How much does a manga cost in your place?   Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:06 am

The prices in Hungary are approx. 10 EUR at the current exchange rate. We have a very few titles here. The paper quality is quite average. We have the colored pages, but sometimes you have to wait a lot to get one volmue out. eg. We have Bride of the Watergod in Hungarian as well, but only up to vol. 10 at the moment, so I usually read it from here in English and later buy the volume in my native language. Smile
Back to top Go down
rubenz
Not So New
Not So New

PostSubject: Re: How much does a manga cost in your place?   Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:59 pm

@Veramonte I think we are from the same country Very Happy  Since Josei is around 20.000 too here:roll: 
Back to top Go down
http://goukanatokoro.wordpress.com/
Veramonte
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: How much does a manga cost in your place?   Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:46 pm

rubenz wrote:
@Veramonte I think we are from the same country Very Happy  Since Josei is around 20.000 too here:roll: 
Lol, I haven't found any other country with less than a dollar/euro manga, so yeah, we are very likely to come from the same country Very Happy

Back to top Go down
saya2077

PostSubject: Re: How much does a manga cost in your place?   Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:18 pm

Mangas cost here around seven Euros (9,50 $) till 12 Euros (16 $). For each Manga series there is a different prices. It doesn't really make sense to me that every Manga series has its own price escpecially because neither is there a difference between the printing nor of the quality of the paperback of the Mangas.

If they would just lower the price, I am sure I would by a lot more.  lol! 
Back to top Go down
Katana1765

PostSubject: Re: How much does a manga cost in your place?   Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:44 pm

Here in the midwest, I've found mangas for anywhere between $8-$15 USD. Since they're so expensive, I usually wait until the bookstore has them on sale for buy 1 get 1 1/2 off. Only when I REALLY want a certain title will I buy it at full price instead of waiting.
Back to top Go down
yume

PostSubject: Re: How much does a manga cost in your place?   Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:51 am

Manga are usually between 7 and 12 Euros depending on the manga, the editions and the genre. Yaoi are the most expensive and nearly no harlequin manga (only 5 edited). Crying or Very sad 

When you know the price of manga in Japan, it's really sad that they are so expensive over there. I think people would definitly buy more if they were cheaper.
Back to top Go down
shinjou
Cool User
Cool User

PostSubject: Re: How much does a manga cost in your place?   Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:24 am

well, in indonesia, it ranges from 18.500 rupiahs to 20.000 rupiahs. our papers are newspaper material, and it gets yellow as time goes. 18.500 is i think equivalent to.. 1 poundsterling, or.. US$ 1.20-1.50?

the 20.000 rupiahs ones are the seinens and joseis that are released by the sub division of our main publisher. thicker in number of pages. the 18.500 ones are the shounens and shoujos.
Back to top Go down
minun07

PostSubject: Re: How much does a manga cost in your place?   Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:53 am

volumes for $8-14
Magazines for around $11 an issue if bought individually

I don't buy mangas any more by single volume though. I prefer to buy by the sets. This last year I bought all of Kare Kano, Cynical Orange, Kadocha and what was available for Swan in english. It takes me a long time to buy manga because I only buy it if I find them worth it now (and if they're out of print). I bought KareKano all 21 volumes for $120! Practically in new condition too.
Back to top Go down
tearbunny

PostSubject: Re: How much does a manga cost in your place?   Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:16 pm

$12.99 but it's $9.99 in the States
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How much does a manga cost in your place?   

Back to top Go down

How much does a manga cost in your place?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next