Oh Shakira, Shakira...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Iaria
Cool User
Cool User

PostSubject: Oh Shakira, Shakira...   Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:41 pm

&

So Shakira has released two music videos for her latest album Shakira (really?) and I'm feeling underwhelmed by the songs and videos.

First up: Can't Remember to Forget You ft. Rihanna (really?). Unnecessarily long titles aside, what really struck about this song was her singing voice. It sounded weird...er than it usually does. Like it was off. Also how is Rihanna able to sound just like her? I don't really have a problem with the beat or the lyrics except for the title. Can't Remember to Forget You? What was wrong with Can't Forget You? What's with the remember? Was she supposed to keep mental notes? And the video... Rihanna was already exploiting her bisexual kink in her own videos, why does Shakira have to help her? It also contradicts the title, they seem to be getting along just fine, smoking cigars in bed and doing butt-telepathy against the wall. And it's forgettable. Honestly completely forgot this song until her second video was released.

Next up: Empire. This is probably her best shot music video. The music is interesting. It just doesn't feel like a Shakira song. With all my gripes with Can't Think Of A better Title up there, it at least looked like a Shakira video and sounded like a Shakira song. Her voice sounds even worse here, the music easily overpowers her and the music doesn't sound anything you would expect from her. The music video while shot nicely just looks stagnant unless she starts dancing. And why does it looked like it started off with a premise that went nowhere. Did she really want to wear a wedding dress that badly. I would like to hear this from another singer, but right now it's just not a very good Shakira song.
Back to top Go down
Loopy Loo

PostSubject: Re: Oh Shakira, Shakira...   Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:12 pm

I know what you mean about her voice sounding different, and personally I like the spanish version of Can't Remember to Forget You. I read somewhere that the song and video for Empire were meant to show that she doesn't need to get married to someone to make a commitment to them, or something close to that. And i loved the landscapes in the Empire video.
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: Oh Shakira, Shakira...   Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:35 pm

I'm not really a fan of Shakira's, but I just had to comment after reading your reviews... haha! Too funny~

I honestly don't remember what her singing voice sounds like since it has been ages since I last heard her sing, but I get that vibe too. Maybe it was always weird, but it sounds weirder than I recall!

I was watching The Voice where she's one of the coaches and she performed Empire for the results show. Completely unimpressive. Not to mention, I couldn't really hear what she was singing in the first place, on top of the fact that I was being distracted by the way she was throwing herself around (dancing??) on the stage.

As for Can't Remember to Forget You... I guess the story is that she should forget this guy (?), but the memories replay themselves in her mind, so she forgets that she's supposed to forget him...? Lol~ Which I guess is the same as Can't Forget You... XD Not really sure how Rihanna is supposed to add to the whole picture, since it would have sounded the same if Shakira sang the whole song by herself. Um... Marketing scheme?? *shrugs*

Cool User
Cool User

PostSubject: Re: Oh Shakira, Shakira...   Wed May 14, 2014 3:21 pm

Loopy Loo wrote:
I know what you mean about her voice sounding different, and personally I like the spanish version of Can't Remember to Forget You.  I read somewhere that the song and video for Empire were meant to show that she doesn't need to get married to someone to make a commitment to them, or something close to that. And i loved the landscapes in the Empire video.

Yeah her singing always sounded better in Spanish

Well I guess that was what the leaving of the altar and the burning of the veil was suppose to represent. Don't get the mini galaxy floating above her head though.  Neutral 
Back to top Go down
Veramonte
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: Oh Shakira, Shakira...   Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:20 am

Too bad I can't open both music videos, they are banned here... (I've moved to Germany 4 months ago~)

Not really a fan of Shakira, but I gotta say her two World Cup songs are super great! Very Happy
Hips don't lie and It's time for africa are superb! (Especially compared to 2014 World Cup official song...)

She is beautiful and has a great body, seriously... Can't even get jealous when my bf admire her, cause I am swooning along with him XD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oh Shakira, Shakira...   

Back to top Go down

Oh Shakira, Shakira...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Shojo Manhwa Scans :: DISCUSSIONS :: General-
Jump to: