My Issues with Once Upon A Time

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Iaria
Cool User
Cool User

PostSubject: My Issues with Once Upon A Time   Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:54 pm

!Warning, Spoilers Ahead!

Despite how frustrating and corny this show can be, I've honestly enjoyed it. It was a show that had potential and the first 21/2 seasons were decent. There are things about the show that puzzles me: why the writers insist on putting them back in Storbrooke? Why the over-reliance on flashbacks? Why does everyone harp on Regina but let Rumpelstiltskin off the hook? Why aren't the Disney characters included act like their movie counterparts? Why are Robin Hood and Blackbeard are in the show when they are not fantastical characters? Why are the romances so weak? Why does Henry still breathe? Why do several male characters suck? And so on.

But they had some good ideas, and some were executed fairly well. Regina's development in S2 was great, so was Rumpelstiltskin's during the Peter Pan arc (although Peter Pan being Rumpelstiltskin's father was kinda contrived). Emma's abandonment issues and feelings of inadequacy as a mother could be developed more but I like those traits of hers (sometimes they're the only thing keeping her interesting). Peter Pan and Korra are great villains and some of back-stories of the secondary characters were interesting.

But the Zelena Arc was just bad  Evil or Very Mad . Zelena is such a crap villain. Her main motivation is pettiness and jealousy. She resents Regina because she believes that if their mother Korra hadn't abandon her she would have the life Regina had Suspect . I know that doesn't sound too bad but trust me, it plays out much worse than you'd think No . She's so whiny in her back-story I can't feel bad for her at all, and she's so smug and overemphasizes her movements it's hard to take her seriously. And she's in love with Rumpelstiltskin. pale The only reason why she's able to accomplish anything is because everybody acts dumber than they usually do. Also Zelena is more powerful than Regina because, you know, reasons. Her plan is stupid too: she's gonna collect courage, brains, heart and the Charmings' baby for a time travel spell so that she can change her past and thus change her fate, somehow.

I guess her plan was Step 1: Time Travel. Step 2: .... Step 3: Profit!

She was defeated with the power of goodness and light, then killed by Rumpelstiltskin. Her arc served little purpose and with little significant changes.

But what really broke and convinced me to jump ship was the last shot of the finale revealing the villain for the next season: Elsa from Frozen. *facepalm* That is such shameless baiting. I don't believe they seriously wanted to use this character other than that her and the movie were really popular and just sticking her in the show will ensure higher ratings. They just handled a timeless villain so poorly, how can I expect them to write a character who was not a villain in her movie as a villain on the show. Not without betraying every aspect of her character and development I bet Neutral .

So I won't be watching OUAT anymore. They don't know who they want to use and what for. If I want to know about the lives and stories of several fairytale characters interacting with each other, I'll stick with Fables.
Back to top Go down
minun07

PostSubject: Re: My Issues with Once Upon A Time   Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:31 pm

I put this series on the back burner after the mid season finale last year I think when they were returning to Storybrook from Neverland. I haven't had much will to pick it up since then. I enjoyed the Peter Pan arc somewhat (I found the boy cute and charming on another level of the live action Peter Pan movie). But honestly it's a series that hits and misses and a lot of the time it misses. And it seems like when all things are said and done to a certain point, all abc is doing is trying to milk this show for all its worth. I mean when I look at the commercials advertising the season premier a few weeks ago, I was just "seriously, frozen?" Since when was this show so intertwined in disney? I recall when this show was first starting off, the creators had plans to do their own fairy tale interpretations, disregarding the parent company disney. I know I shouldn't speak as though I know since I haven't watched since last year but this series was already on the rocks by then. Also I don't actually hold frozen on a pedestal despite it being a disney success mainly because it's just a snowy wonderland retelling of Wicked. It is a great story but it would be more interesting if they used the actual story of the snow queen by HCA. In fact I think it would be more fitting if they did interpret the actual story of the snow queen and not the disney frozen because the story is darker! But again, they're just milking it for all its worth at this point. So after skimming over the OP's post, I guess I should finish the Peter Pan arc someday and just stop watching =)

And also thanks for directing me to Fables. Never heard of it because I was never into the news of Once upon a time but it's good to know.
Back to top Go down
Iaria
Cool User
Cool User

PostSubject: Re: My Issues with Once Upon A Time   Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:46 pm

minun07 wrote:
I put this series on the back burner after the mid season finale last year I think when they were returning to Storybrook from Neverland. I haven't had much will to pick it up since then. I enjoyed the Peter Pan arc somewhat (I found the boy cute and charming on another level of the live action Peter Pan movie). But honestly it's a series that hits and misses and a lot of the time it misses. And it seems like when all things are said and done to a certain point, all abc is doing is trying to milk this show for all its worth. I mean when I look at the commercials advertising the season premier a few weeks ago, I was just "seriously, frozen?" Since when was this show so intertwined in disney? I recall when this show was first starting off, the creators had plans to do their own fairy tale interpretations, disregarding the parent company disney. I know I shouldn't speak as though I know since I haven't watched since last year but this series was already on the rocks by then. Also I don't actually hold frozen on a pedestal despite it being a disney success mainly because it's just a snowy wonderland retelling of Wicked. It is a great story but it would be more interesting if they used the actual story of the snow queen by HCA. In fact I think it would be more fitting if they did interpret the actual story of the snow queen and not the disney frozen because the story is darker! But again, they're just milking it for all its worth at this point. So after skimming over the OP's post, I guess I should finish the Peter Pan arc someday and just stop watching =)

And also thanks for directing me to Fables. Never heard of it because I was never into the news of Once upon a time but it's good to know.

1. You're so right when you say they're just milking the show for all its worth. I wish they just write story arcs resolving certain character issues like actual redemption arcs for Regina and Rumplestiltskin. We sorta got one for Rumple, but they went back on that by having him killing Zelena and hiding it from everyone. I can't even tell if they want Regina good anymore because they keep going back and forth with her. The Regina/Robin Hood/Marian love triangle is another reason why I decided to stop watching this show.

2. Well they do use the Disney characters but for all the changes they do to their personalities they might as well not bothered, they just have the superficial elements that originate from the disney movies. And even then they don't use every disney version of the charcters on the show: they don't use disney's Snow White, Peter Pan, certainly not Robin Hood (because he's a fox in that movie), Cinderella, Rapunzal, Pinnochio, Alice In Wonderland and whatever other movie I might be missing.

3. I don't care much for Frozen myself because i didn't think the story was that good. I felt it was a great story concept with poor execution. I wish they had used their own interpretation of Snow Queen, but I know why they didn't. Like I said for higher ratings or to at least to ensure they still have an audience. Personally, I think it's pathetic even if they honestly ( Laughing ) want to use Elsa.

4. I think it's clear at this point they only had one story planned out and that was for the 1st season. They also don't know how to have their interpreted characters interact with each other for a long time without repeating themselves. Maybe we wouldn't have this problem if they keep insisting on having them stay in Storybrooke. Or maybe they should get better writers. Or just cancel the show.
Back to top Go down
Loopy Loo

PostSubject: Re: My Issues with Once Upon A Time   Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:45 pm

As much as i love Once I too am getting tired of the show, I feel like they don't know where the story is going and just make up things as they go. I believe that most of the flashbacks are not cohesive either. I feel like the first seasons worked because they had Regina as a villain but when she turned good they chose to go with a 'villain of the season' format which is great and but not logical. I started watching the show because of the strong female leads but they seem to be changing this second half of the season. As much as I want to defend this show I understand your reason for not liking it and even recently I have begun to not pay as close attention to the show as i used to (sometimes I have it as background noise when I workout). But I'm the type of person that cannot leave a show until it finishes so I'll keep watching until the last episode.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Issues with Once Upon A Time   

Back to top Go down

My Issues with Once Upon A Time
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1