Download Scanlations from SMScans Here

BlogHomePortalSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

whatever happened to shoujo anime?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Adachan

PostSubject: whatever happened to shoujo anime?   Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:06 pm

Is it just me or have there been awfully few good shoujo series in the last few seasons? When I look at preview listings nowadays it seems like there's one token shoujo per season and it's usually another game-based reverse harem type. There are plenty of good mangas out there, so why aren't they getting animated?
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: whatever happened to shoujo anime?   Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:35 pm

Agreed, except I don't really watch much shoujo anime anymore. Like you said, there aren't many good ones out there. The whole reverse harem craze has been pretty big so these last few years, I haven't really seen any I want to watch.

As for the whole manga -> anime adaptation... There ARE a lot of good shoujo mangas out there. The problem is that most of them are long and/or still in progress. So really, in the one season of 13 episodes or so, the story has basically gone nowhere in relations to the manga.

They've done a few manga series that I love, and I just found the anime adaptation terrible. It follows the storyline for the first 10 episodes or so, and then BAM, there is some random ending because they had to forcefully wrap things up. Or you just get some obscure "non-ending".

PostSubject: Re: whatever happened to shoujo anime?   Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:25 pm

I do find inconclusive anime annoying, but it gives people a reason to go out and read the manga. Like those maddeningly short mangas
that are basically just an there as an ad for light novel series.
Still, there are tons of shonen series that get an anime adaptation
while they're running...I guess shojo just isn't as big a moneymaker.
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: whatever happened to shoujo anime?   Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:17 pm

I suppose it's all based on what's popular at the moment that gets made into anime... I'm sure there are good shoujo manga around but since it's not as popular or in demand then the producers won't make it. As for those that haven't been completed... Natsume Yuujinchou is a good example, I guess. It's good but since it hasn't been completed, they make short seasons about 13 episodes each. Win-win if you ask me. Fans get a true to the manga story and producers get to milk it for as long as possible.
Back to top Go down
aerysa

PostSubject: Re: whatever happened to shoujo anime?   Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:33 pm

Whoops! For a second there, I thought you were talking about Wallflower... Lol. (Forgot the Japanese name.) That did have an anime adaptation, but I didn't follow it too closely. That series got way too repetitive, even as a manga.

They did do some pretty big name shoujo mangas, but they're also the ones that they screwed up in my opinion. Skip Beat! was adapted into an anime and they basically took the opening arc and stopped it at the end of it. It TOTALLY could have kept going, but they didn't! (Jerks... XD) And they also did Kamisama Hajimemashita, but totally killed the ending on that. It was so random, it wasn't even funny! It was even done in a way that a continuation wouldn't be necessary.

I guess the big thing about the whole shounen versus shoujo scenario is the audience that it reaches. Despite the fact that an anime/manga may be labelled as "shounen", they're still able to reach out to many female fans as well. But vice versa? Not so much... I cannot imagine a guy sitting around watching shoujo romance anime... Laughing

So in that sense, shounen easily rakes in more money than shoujo any day.

Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: whatever happened to shoujo anime?   Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:13 pm

aerysa wrote:
Whoops! For a second there, I thought you were talking about Wallflower... Lol. (Forgot the Japanese name.) That did have an anime adaptation, but I didn't follow it too closely. That series got way too repetitive, even as a manga.

That would be Yamato Nadeshiko Shichihenge. I agree with you on the repetitiveness, even though I I actually like this manga. (I mean they went through how many Halloweens and Christmases already?) While I'd love for the story to continue just a little longer, I also would rather the story end with me still liking it instead of me getting bored and just finishing the story for the sake of finishing it *coughbleachcough*

aerysa wrote:
They did do some pretty big name shoujo mangas, but they're also the ones that they screwed up in my opinion. Skip Beat! was adapted into an anime and they basically took the opening arc and stopped it at the end of it. It TOTALLY could have kept going, but they didn't! (Jerks... XD) And they also did Kamisama Hajimemashita, but totally killed the ending on that. It was so random, it wasn't even funny! It was even done in a way that a continuation wouldn't be necessary.

Well, considering one of the most well known shoujo anime, Sailormoon got a reboot, I suppose there is that option. I haven't actually watched the reboot but if it's as good as my sailormoon fanatic friends say it is, then I guess they'll eventually get it right Laughing

aerysa wrote:
I guess the big thing about the whole shounen versus shoujo scenario is the audience that it reaches. Despite the fact that an anime/manga may be labelled as "shounen", they're still able to reach out to many female fans as well. But vice versa? Not so much... I cannot imagine a guy sitting around watching shoujo romance anime... Laughing

So in that sense, shounen easily rakes in more money than shoujo any day.

Totally agree with you there. I remember my childhood days of Saturday morning cartoons, where I'd never be allowed to watch shoujo anime simply because my brother had no interest in them. We'd be fighting over the remote during commercials and as the big sister I'd usually have to give in... ^_^;
Back to top Go down
lethalene
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: whatever happened to shoujo anime?   Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:38 pm

Well, if you consider the market, shounen is the genre which sells the most in Japan, shoujo is no competition.

Years ago, it was easier for producer to make animes and sell them. Nowadays, they know if they make an anime, it will be in the Internet for free as soon as it gets broadcasted on TV or ripped from the DVDs. Copyright infringement has become a huge issue and major financial loss for producers, publishers and authors.

Shounens which are widely popular can still rake decent profit or at least make back the money invested but shoujos would be a greater risk of losing money.

One episode, depending on the quality of the animation and production, costs about $90,000 (average quality) to over $300,000 (high and higher quality). Multiply this by the number of episodes for a whole season (say we have 13 episodes) and the publishers who foot the bill of the production must be ready to pay over $1,000,000 for at least an average quality anime season. They only start making back money with the DVD sales and by products if the the anime is real popular. So if the DVD sales are too low, the financial loss impacts greatly the publisher.
Back to top Go down
silvery
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: whatever happened to shoujo anime?   Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:23 pm

Shocked wow... I did not know that...

If what you say is true then I suppose it's no wonder that the anime we see now a days are somewhat similar... after all, they've found a formula that works. It's a shame that we won't get the type of anime that we want but if it's not profitable, I can understand why nobody wants to make it...
Back to top Go down
beenz
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostSubject: Re: whatever happened to shoujo anime?   Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:52 pm

Good question! What happened to Skip Beat, it was good and then there was nothing! and I'm still waiting for season 2.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: whatever happened to shoujo anime?   

Back to top Go down

whatever happened to shoujo anime?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1